Faith

Former Soviet gold medal-winning gymnast finds opportunity, LDS Church in the U.S.

Comments

• Jamescmeyer Midwest City, USA, OK
    April 10, 2014 7:32 a.m.

This was an inspiring story. I'm glad he was able to move forward despite trials I probably wouldn't have tolerated.

• EPoint Roy, UT
    April 10, 2014 8:54 a.m.

Sharipov certainly has experienced great triumphs as well as great trials in his life, and come out the better for it. Few have had such experiences, Ohio State is lucky to have him. Balancing our time in this mortal life is perhaps the greatest challenge, given all the needs and demands placed upon us. Love to hear more of his philosophy and methods for doing this.

• antodav TAMPA, FL
    April 10, 2014 9:55 a.m.

From communism to "Mormonism"…that is quite a leap. And I thought my own conversion story was radical. Of course, it always helps when there is a person of the opposite sex to motivate you (as there was in my case, partially). This man's athletic training probably also helped him prepare for the rigors of Gospel living too…much as marching band did for my wife, or pledging for a fraternity did for me. Nothing teaches the principle of "opposition in all things" more rapidly than rigorous athletic activity requiring enormous patience and discipline.

• MoJules Florissant, MO
    April 10, 2014 10:19 a.m.

Wonderful person and story.

• gee-en Salt Lake City, UT
    April 10, 2014 10:28 a.m.

Very interesting story...thanks very much

• The Caravan Moves On Enid, OK
    April 10, 2014 11:47 a.m.

One more person from far away baptized!

And the restored gospel, the "good news" of Jesus Chritst, continues to march onward!

• islandboy Honolulu, HI
    April 10, 2014 1:41 p.m.

Very enjoyable story. Thank-you!

• aggiefather Fulton, MO
    April 10, 2014 4:07 p.m.

I still think it's too bad that Title IX killed men's gymnastics at BYU. Sharipov would have been a natural fit there.

• LovelyDeseret Gilbert, AZ
    April 10, 2014 11:24 p.m.

Seems like a cursory biography of this former Soviet gymnast. I hope he is happy now. The gospel can bring great peace and joy to those who embrace it.

• goosehuntr Tooele, UT
    April 11, 2014 8:07 a.m.

Love the fruits of the gospel of Jesus Christ when applied to ones life. It changes everything, and for the better. Balance is so hard to achieve. Constant juggling of priorities. The Gospel gives vision and assistance with that balancing act, and it preserves relationships that might otherwise wither. It is a "salt that does not lose its savour." Though some things can be argued forever concerning the gospel, the effect on peoples lives cannot. It is real, and it is sweet. But like all living things, nourishment is of the first order or it shrinks or becomes choked with other cares and is crowded out. For me that is the challenge. Thanks for all the inspiring posts... from an inspiring experience. Peace.

• J-TX Allen, TX
    April 11, 2014 8:45 a.m.

Time for an "I'm a Mormon" video.