Opinion

John Hoffmire: Society today should remember lessons from Midas

Comments

• liberal larry salt lake City, utah
    April 7, 2014 6:46 a.m.

So is this article saying we should be happy being poor?

I wonder if the good professor lives on the American median family income of around $50,000. and is content to seek solace in exercise and religion?

• Lowonoil Clearfield, UT
    April 7, 2014 7:38 a.m.

If you read his profile, you will see that Mr. Hoffmire is a long time investment banker who is undoubtedly a 1 percenter and quite likely to be a .01 percenter. I am sure there are plenty of hedonic treadmill runners among his income tax bracket judging from the soaring sales of luxury items. But sales are dropping at big box discount stores like Wal-mart, suggesting that the rest of us are on a subsistence treadmill and are struggling to stay in place. Much of the reason for this is because of the efforts of investors like Mr. Hoffmire to steer as much as possible of the fruits of labor to executives and stockholders and as little as possible to the actual laborers.

• PDG2013 Phoenix, AR
    April 7, 2014 7:46 a.m.

Money doesn't buy happiness but it can relieve a lot of suffering.

• Hutterite American Fork, UT
    April 7, 2014 9:13 a.m.

I always like the line from a Bryan Adams tune: 'they say the best things in life are free but if you don't pay then you don't eat'. It always put the sentimental side of that equation in perspective for me.

• Mister J Salt Lake City, UT
    April 7, 2014 7:13 p.m.

Per the article "This story teaches a valuable lesson about moderation in consumption and desires."

True. I read somewhere TV whether its commercials, shows like Pawn stars, Storage wars yada yada yada makes us feel inadequate and/or that we need to compensate with stuff.

• Pendergast Salt Lake City, UT
    April 7, 2014 7:14 p.m.

re: PDG2013

Actually, Money is nice as its gives one options and flexibility.

• marxist Salt Lake City, UT
    April 7, 2014 11:15 p.m.

In an era of flat real wages many families live beyond their means to help and rescue their children, and this is a fact many of us are living. So I found the writer's views useless and beside the point. And of no help to me in the life I lead.