Mike Sorensen: A baseball game instead of the birth of a child? You cannot be serious

Comments

• Hutterite American Fork, UT
    April 7, 2014 9:02 a.m.

On the surface, the choice does sound ludicrous. But then, if you take a look at it, our obsession with pro sports could easily be said to be of more importance to Americans than putting in place social programmes like health care and maternity leave. We may pay lip service to the birth of the child side of this equation, but our actions as a whole speak of different priorities.

• southmtnman Provo, UT
    April 7, 2014 9:20 a.m.

With the birth of our first child, I took time off to be with and help my wife.

It didn't take long for her to tell me to go back to work! She did not want me "helping" for any of the rest of the children's births.

Everybody has their own standards for this highly personal experience. Too many are making this molehill into a mountain.

• Fooballguy salt lake, UT
    April 7, 2014 10:10 a.m.

One will never regret the missed meeting, or game, but will always regret missing an important family event. Birth of a child certainly qualifies. If I were Murphy I just wouldn't care what anyone else thought about it; he's the one that will enjoy being happy with this decision the rest of his life.

• Chris B Salt Lake City, UT
    April 7, 2014 12:16 p.m.

Some dishonest writing here. No one is saying he shouldn't have been there for the birth, which Mike is suggesting with his title.

Some very few people have suggested he only miss 1 day for the actual birth. Some suggested a C-section should have been planned so he could be there for game 1 and the birth.

But no on is saying he shouldn't have been there for the birth.

• Herbert Gravy Salinas, CA
    April 7, 2014 5:18 p.m.

Why was nothing said about the baby "bunting"?

• southmtnman Provo, UT
    April 7, 2014 5:22 p.m.

Fooballguy:

"One will never regret the missed meeting, or game, but will always regret missing an important family event. Birth of a child certainly qualifies."

No, not really. Not for me and my family. My wife prefers to be mostly alone in the hospital. There are no rules here.

Chris B:

I agree with you.

"Mike and des news - please don't exaggerate the truth just for a good headline, I expect better."

Why such unfounded expectations?