Faith

New LDS women's group quickly gains steam on Facebook

Comments

• Owen Heber City, UT
    April 3, 2014 9:46 p.m.

i agree the church has always been good at including women. Most women. But the gospel is also about ministering to the one who is outside the fold. Are we really to draw any serious conclusions about how many people "like" a particular website? Or should we be more concerned that a fraction of our sisters feel excluded from what maters most to them.

• I know it. I Live it. I Love it. Provo, UT
    April 3, 2014 10:14 p.m.

The Savior sent someone into my life to help me rise above my challenges, to comfort me, to love me, and most importantly to cook with me.

She is not replaceable. Her and I could not exist without Fathers & Mothers. I don't accept lies about who I am. I accept WHO I am first, and everything else follows from that logic. I am a man. My wife is a women. We came from Fathers and Mothers, nothing less.

You can't find happiness in something that isn't true. It's like a drug addict who keeps trying to fill a void with a substance, yet never quenches the desire. "But whosoever drinketh of the water that I shall give him shall never thirst".

/////

General Conference is on Saturday Morning, on T.V., radio, and online. If you are trying to find peace, love, or even the hope of feeling love from the Savior... This is the place!

• Wilf 55 SALT LAKE CITY, UT
    April 4, 2014 12:19 a.m.

Giving more visibility to women in the Church is great. This website will contribute to it. But what about diversity and welcoming those who struggle with issues? This no doubt well-meant website seems to display a type of perfection and exclusivism that may grieve and alienate quite a few sisters.

And as to comparing the "likes" of this one "very general website for all" to the likes on a site of a small group of sisters struggling with one issue, such a cheap approach fosters unnecessary polarization.

• Pops NORTH SALT LAKE, UT
    April 4, 2014 6:11 a.m.

Women exert their influence on the Church and on the world in ways that are fundamentally more important and far-reaching than most realize. We all have mothers, and our character, be we of whichever gender, was formed largely by virtue of our interactions with our mothers (or the lack thereof). The world is as it is not solely because of men (and women) who lead nations, but also because of the mothers who raised them (or who didn't raise them). The Church is not as it is solely because of men in leadership positions who bear the priesthood, but also because of the influence of the women who raised them (to say nothing of the women who stand by their side) and us.

The power and influence of a woman on the world is most dramatically exercised in the raising of a child. Is there any other office or position of authority than can so profoundly shape the future?

• TA1 Alexandria, VA
    April 4, 2014 7:24 a.m.

The exclusion of any group is contrary to the basic principles of the Gospel and while we don't have to agree with any (or all) of the principles of various groups - it would behoove us as followers of Jesus Christ to ensure that all feel welcome and the we will not be judgmental of them.

• Shushannah Kendal, Cumbria
    April 4, 2014 7:23 a.m.

Having somewhere safe to voice and discuss our feelings regarding the prophet and our beliefs is fine. But we still need to make a stance, and make our views known to the world. Sites like Mormon Women Stand may empower more sisters to do just that. I have been ostracised by friends and family because of my Facebook posts about SSM and abortion, etc... however, it doesn't alter the fact that these things are wrong. As long as they are wrong, I will continue to let people know it. God is not going to change his mind on these issues, no matter how many of his children may throw tantrums because they can't have things their own way. Hopefully, Mormon Women Stand, and similar groups, will give women the confidence and encouragement to speak up, and know that we are not alone.

• Cats Somewhere in Time, UT
    April 4, 2014 8:02 a.m.

There is an old saying--"the hand that rocks the cradle rules the world." This is TRUE and not to be scoffed at.

There are so many today who can't even tell the difference between right and wrong let alone have the courage to stand up. I'm thankful for these women who have the courage to stand for right.

Shushannah is right. God will not change His mind no matter how many tantrums are thrown nor will he be mocked.

• Lilalips Attleboro, MA
    April 4, 2014 8:08 a.m.

Saying what you support from an ideal point of view is not exclusionary and I get so tired of people saying that it is. While I support women in the LDS church who want the prophet to ask whether it is time to allow them to officiate in all priesthood duties without calling them heretics. I also believe that it is perfectly right to hold up the ideal of the human family. There is absolutely no question that the ideal for human families is a father and a mother. There is nothing healthier and happier for children. That some people struggle with issues regarding this ideal, one way or another, does not make it any less of the ideal. It is ideal for people to walk with a left foot and a right foot. If someone loses a foot, shall we say that that condition is what we should strive for? Or shall we just deal with the situation as best as we can? Simply because people know and love other people who struggle with an issue does not mean we hold up that struggle as something to aspire to. It is something to deal with, not aspire to.

• jeanie orem, UT
    April 4, 2014 8:15 a.m.

How do you include sisters who feel excluded because they cannot have what they want? What do you do with these sisters who are using their energies to promote a cause that the majority of LDS women don't want and that goes against the teachings of the church?

How do we disagree and continue to show love and acceptance? Beyond continuing to reach out in friendship and love I don't know. What does including diverse opinions look like? Certainly it means allowing people to share their thoughts and feelings, but does it also mean to embrace and inact all of them? That's not reasonable. There must be an allowance - on all issues- for disagreeing while continuing to be kind to those we disagree with. Some people feel that real acceptance of others means agreeing. This is not true.

And that there are women that want their voices to be heard in support of church doctrine and practice is fair. We cannot NOT say anything for fear of excluding or alienating others. What we can do is to remain kind in spite of our different convictions.

• IsaacsTM Huntingtown, MD
    April 4, 2014 8:20 a.m.

Everyone - this is a great cause. Whenever I have a conversion about traditional marriage and morals, you HAVE to include this statement: "please know that we love everyone when we teach the gospel and urge people live the commandments." Do not believe the hype that you are a hater for doing this. The left relies upon that unsubstantiated charge that people that support traditional marriage are haters. They are not, so be ready with your simple answer - we love everyone. It also has the benefit of being true for those who really are trying to live the gospel.

• CDL Los Angeles, CA
    April 4, 2014 8:59 a.m.

The real problem today, is that many are not capable of separating their own feelings from that of others, and are intolerant of those that do not 'feel' or believe as they do. The belief and support of the living Prophet and Apostles does 'not' exclude others, they exclude themselves. Because those 'others' are free to choose as they wish. Intolerance can swing both ways though, but at least we have a Prophet who teaches us to be accepting of others that do not believe as we do. Accepting does 'not' mean believing that what they do is correct, it means accepting they have made another choice, and not persecuting them because of it. We are taught to love others no matter what their choice. And yes, it can be challenging. But those that stand on the other side of the fence more often then not, actually 'not' understanding fully what we believe, accept the negative propaganda and react and become hateful and bigoted when viewing us. Our challenge is to 'stand tall, stand strong,' and to be loving and accepting of them as children of "our Heavenly Father,' anyway.

• Kaladin Greeley, CO
    April 4, 2014 9:02 a.m.

Speaking in favor of the ideal does not equate with pushing away those who do not fit the ideal. The ideal is something to strive for. We all have our struggles. I don't get offended when talks about my struggles are raised. Conversely, I instead feel a desire to strive to change. That is the intent of standing up for the ideal - to 1) protect it and 2) set it as a standard we should strive for. This applies to each one of us in some way or another. My struggles are life-long battles the same as other people's struggles are. I don't accept the things I struggle with that are against the teachings of God, nor should I be expected to accept the things others struggle with that are contrary to God's commands.

• Goldminer Salem, ut
    April 4, 2014 9:12 a.m.

People are not "excluded" from the Church; sadly, they make that choice themselves and find reasons for blaming others for their decision.

• ImaUteFan West Jordan, UT
    April 4, 2014 9:13 a.m.

Bravo to these women! We should be able to speak out in favor of our faith in Prophet and our belief in the doctrine and principles of the Gospel without fear of being labeled hateful or intolerant.

Let us all listen carefully to the messages of Conference this weekend and rejoice in the counsel that we receive.

• antodav TAMPA, FL
    April 4, 2014 9:59 a.m.

It is unfortunate that this woman, and her page, is now associated with the blogger who wrote that crazy, paranoid review of Frozen, but she is still fighting for a good cause, helping to show the world that the small apostate sect clamoring for a worldly notion of "equality" to be imposed upon the Church does not represent the vast majority of women in the Church itself.

• Duckhunter Highland, UT
    April 4, 2014 12:41 p.m.

I greatly admire these women and what they are standing for, I likewise feel a lot of pity for the women that are trying to use general priesthood meeting as a spectacle to advance their personal desires.

My sincere hope is that the dissidents will quickly come to their senses and realize what they are doing is wrong but I don't have much faith that they will. Selfish desires are powerful things and they can cloud our judgement and even help to convince us that we are sincere.

This ordain women thing has been a very interesting thing to observe, something so completely wrong and so evident to most of us is apparently invisible to these women and their supporters. All we can do is hope they wake up before it is to late for them.

• Rikitikitavi Cardston, Alberta
    April 4, 2014 1:00 p.m.

Kinds reminds me of the marching band metaphor. Ninety nine marchers outa step....only one getting it right. Now the ninety nine are making their voice heard as they stand in step with the Prophet. Translate those numbers into per centage of sisters who stand with the Brethren, they have plenty on their plate just being great Moms and great neighbors, and trying to be Christ-like in every way possible. Many have careers as well and do a phenomenal job. Why do we have a Prophet, Seer, and Revelator to lead us? He leads the Church as directed by The Holy Spirit and not by public opinion nor by the noise of a miniscule minority. In God's Church, it happens that a few are out of fellowship and harmony with the Brethren called to lead us.

• Rikitikitavi Cardston, Alberta
    April 4, 2014 1:15 p.m.

I cannot envision any R.S. president, or any Bishop, or any V.T. or any H.T. who would ignore any sister who feels left out. No one is perfect however. The Brethren in charge have included women's leaders in their inner councils for ever and have done wonderful things to accommodate needs of sisters. Sisters are in charge of the R.S. They do a marvelous job.

• iwanttogotothere Bountiful, UT
    April 4, 2014 2:37 p.m.

The biggest problem that I have with this group is that it has an underlying feel of "us vs. them". It's telling women that in order to be a good Mormon woman that they need to "without hesitation, sustain the Lord's Prophet, the Family Proclamation as doctrine and our divine role as covenant women for Christ".

When we look at the name of the church, it is The Church of JESUS CHRIST of Latter Day Saints. We need to have more focus on loving each other, no matter where we are at. The only person we need to hold to a higher standard is ourselves.

By crying for Mormon women to "unite with us" while spelling out what a good Mormon woman is, they are creating a divisive group within a group.

Christ and love should be the focus. Please feel free to like the "Mormon Women Unite in Christ" facebook community page which focuses on uniting women all over the spectrum of LDS beliefs and coming unto Christ instead.

• jeanie orem, UT
    April 4, 2014 3:30 p.m.

Iwanttogotothere,
    If we make a call to be more like Christ let us remember that while his love was consistent, so were his convictions. He spoke without hesitation, dividing many.

• Cruelest Month Sandy, UT
    April 4, 2014 3:34 p.m.

I find better representation for LDS women with another women's group that has been around much longer, RELIEF SOCIETY. Their motto is "Charity Never Faileth." The Relief Society page on Facebook (15,809 likes) is not as popular as Mormon Women Stand (16,383 likes). Probably because popularity is not the best gauge of value. It is an amazing organization of women that has supported me unfailingly in my life's journey. Visit their facebook page and give them a "like".

• IDSpud Eagle, ID
    April 4, 2014 3:42 p.m.

iwanttogotothere - yes, but it would only work if all sides took the same approach that you advocate. Unfortunately, it's not working to just try and "love each other" while staying silent against the onslaught. Actions do speak louder than words, but both our (LDS) words and actions are being silenced and ridiculed, all in the name of "diversity" and "equality".

• New to Utah PAYSON, UT
    April 4, 2014 5:20 p.m.

The courage of Angela Fallentine is greatly appreciated. The ordain women movement represents such a tiny segment but has gotten way to much press. It is interesting to see how my sisters in California and in Seattle Washington have faced real antagonism just for being caring,intelligent mothers. This is how the extremes in the media have messed up the balance of coverage and content. It is time for women who believe different than the political correct mantra to have a place to communicate.

• Heidi San Bernardino, CA
    April 4, 2014 11:24 p.m.

This new page has been posting some great content. But I witnessed the beginning days, and I do not agree with the premise of this page. We should not be proud and self-congratulatory in our beliefs. The invitation to this page felt just as wrong to me as any invitation to feminist pages that I've received. When I expressed my reservation in liking the page because the tone of the invitation in only inviting "like-minded" women, my comment was removed. A sister who said that she was not mainstream Mormon, but politely asked that those who liked the page would be inclusive had her comment removed as well. This makes me angry. How can you say you are following the prophet and then dismiss a sister that already feels disenfranchised and is asking for a small kindness. Essentially, this page is saying that those who are strong in certain aspects of their faith are of more value than those who are not. That's appalling. Whether that is the intent or not, it is felt by many. Also, as members of the church, we are "gathered" through our baptismal covenants and not through joining a Facebook page.

• CDL Los Angeles, CA
    April 5, 2014 10:50 a.m.

'nor should I be expected to accept the things others struggle with that are contrary to God's commands.' This is not about accepting 'what they are doing' as 'correct' but accepting them as a child of God and loving them anyway. "Love the sinner, not the sin" as the old saying goes. They regardless are still loved by their father, should we offer any less? As the world spirals closer to the second coming, I expect more trials and persecution will come. It does not change the truth of the Gospel, but the views of the world will pull more at members and society alike to conform to their view, making it more difficult to stand strong in our faith. So knowing and understanding who and what we are and how God would have us be toward others is important in helping us to stand strong and stand tall in our faith. We must not be arrogant, but humble and faithful in the knowledge that God has in fact blessed us with the fullness of the Gospel hold it dear as we live our faith and love those who seek anyway or reason to find fault with that faith.

• CDL Los Angeles, CA
    April 5, 2014 11:41 a.m.

The Gospel is NOT exclusionary. However people often are. I have been in wards that were very good at attempting to include everyone. I have also been in clickish wards, where individuals collected into various social groups, and did in fact leave outliers. This is not the Church, nor the Gospel that does this but human nature. These outliers often fall thru the cracks because they 'felt' excluded. This I believe is one of the challenges we as a people have and must overcome. We are all children of our Father in Heaven, and must recognize these human failings in order to overcome. Obviously if an individual represents danger to us or others, these human behaviors are understandable. But, not everyone is beautiful, rich, athletic, a go getter, popular, share the same interests as we do, let alone someone who is able to draw solely from their own strength. We are here to appreciate each others similarities and differences alike. We all have something to offer, some need a little more support and encouragement to help them find their strength. We must understand fully what the Gospel teaches us, and what it tells us God expects of us.

• Sneaky Jimmy Bay Area, CA
    April 5, 2014 11:56 a.m.

This article is praising another new "clique" within the LDS church. Whether she knows it or not, Ms. Fallentine is encouraging an even further divide between those that believe they follow God's commandments best and those that are trying to work out what God's plan is for them. Many of the comments here seem to reinforce that position. I'm sure the entire facebook group is proud of how they are standing up for righteousness. Meanwhile LDS children continue to go hungry, live on the street and commit suicide because they don't measure up to a certain standard.

• Globetrecker Arlington, va
    April 5, 2014 8:32 p.m.

I joined Mormon Women Stand a few weeks ago and have been thrilled with the positivity and the safe haven it has provided. Everything is in line with the doctrine and the words of the prophet and apostles. This is a rare thing to find in social media these days and sadly, people have been afraid to share or discuss or defend the doctrine on issues because they will get beat up about it or lose friends (or at least ruffle a few feathers.)

I think the more good we have online the better! In the church handbook of instructions (and listed on the Mormon Women Stand site), it specifically encourages members of the church to use the internet to do exactly what Mormon Women Stand is doing! So I love it and will encourage everyone to join.

Thankful to the organizers who provide a kind and yet courageous place for LDS women.

• sunsurfsand Arlington, VA
    April 5, 2014 8:38 p.m.

Sneaky Jimmy, I respectfully disagree--in fact, completely disagree. In reviewing you comment, I’m trying to find how these defenders of the Church position could be more in line with your expectations of them.

Your comment isn't in line with anything the apostles and prophets have said repeatedly about standing for truth and righteousness, even if it may be hard. In order for defenders to “stand for something”, they are required to judge between right and wrong, correct and incorrect, using teachings of Church leaders as their compass. They are then counseled to join these conversations online and wherever else they can make a difference.

There is nothing but inclusion on the MWS page, yet they do not allow any criticism, bullying or finding fault in LDS church doctrine or the leaders. The comments are kind and encouraging on the page.

• sunsurfsand Arlington, VA
    April 5, 2014 9:04 p.m.

Iwanttogothere,

No one can win with your comment! How are members who want to join together in standing with the prophets and the doctrine of the LDS church being divisive? How else should they do it?

Every single week at Church and in every single session of General Conference, we are told how to be good LDS people and followers of Jesus Christ. I have zero problem with a faithful group of LDS women wanting to create a safe haven from internet trolls and anti-Mormons.

To me, the bigger issue here is religious freedom and the ability for people to feel safe when defending their beliefs. And yes, some need to feel safe from their own members who are dissenting or sowing the seeds of apostasy.

Kudos to this group!

• John Pack Lambert of Michigan Ypsilanti, MI
    April 5, 2014 9:36 p.m.

I applaud this effort and wish these women success. I am glad there are people who will boldly stand up, and I hope they get plenty of notice.

I also have to agree that the attacks on Kathryn Skaggs have demonstrated an unwillingness to listen to thought out arguments by others and an attempt to silence any but certain voices.

• rhodiumcobalt St. George, UT
    April 6, 2014 11:48 p.m.

I am a member of the LDS church, and though it is hard to admit, I struggle with mixing church and state and the idea of outlawing gay marriage. I don't understand why we have to make it illegal. Why not make it so members of our church do not engage in same-sex relationships/marriage and leave the choice and accountability for others to make and experience themselves? Smoking is against our doctrine, though we do not raise millions of dollars (to my knowledge) to try and ban smoking in other states the way we donated money to California's Prop 8 in hopes of banning gay marriage. I say we stop trying to make earthly laws reflect our religious doctrine and focus on being living examples of love and service.

• hockeymom Highland, UT
    April 7, 2014 4:12 p.m.

If ALL people would just put their trust in the Lord, choose to follow the Prophet, and ask instead, "Give me what I need to draw closer to Thee", as opposed to "Give me what I want because then I'll be able to draw closer to thee", there would be no need to petition, demonstrate, march or stage an activity. Bravo for all church members who are able to submit themselves in humility to the will of the Lord in all things. Sadly - the things we "want" are almost never the things we really need.

• ImaUteFan West Jordan, UT
    April 7, 2014 11:36 p.m.

"The time has come for people to stand boldly for the doctrine of Christ, even within their own Church."

AMEN, Globetrecker, AMEN!!!

• loiskay Vancouver, WA
    April 11, 2014 8:09 p.m.

This group of comments is only rhetoric until each person does something about their feelings. --take a stand and support a cause. If this women's group gives another person the courage to display a bumper sticker, or write a letter to the editor, or better yet to the sponsor of an
    advertisement, or place a political sign in their yard, or donate money to support a "worthy cause" then they have met their first goal. Many voices can change the world!