Faith

Mozilla CEO resigns. But was he right about religion in the workplace?

Comments

• Chris B Salt Lake City, UT
    April 3, 2014 4:31 p.m.

I'm ashamed he caved to the intolerant bullies.

I support his stance, which happens to agree with my stance, Prophet Monson's stance, and Pope Francis' stance.

Its good company to be in!

• Henry Drummond San Jose, CA
    April 3, 2014 4:46 p.m.

If the shoe were on the other foot and someone was forced out of their job for supporting marriage equality there would be an outcry. I know that my Gay friends feel differently about this than I do, but you don't change minds this way.

• Chris B Salt Lake City, UT
    April 3, 2014 4:47 p.m.

He did leave religion at the door of the workplace.

Its the "tolerant" liberals that brought his religious views into the workplace.

• sg newhall, CA
    April 3, 2014 4:48 p.m.

Absolutely not! The CEO had every right to donate to a cause that he believes in. No one should be forced to leave their religion or beliefs at the door, but not impose upon others that may not adhere to the same beliefs. I hope the muslims take note because they have complete disregard for others' beliefs when it come to their "religion" and the workplace.

• Mexican Ute mexico, 00
    April 3, 2014 4:58 p.m.

Indeed, Chris B. Great company to be in.

I also support religious freedom anywhere you go. You have to know when to talk about religion though. I almost never do it in my workplace unless somebody asks me.

About what happened with this CEO, its unfortunate and it is Proof Positive that the gay marriage crowd IS harming others, but trying to silence their opposition and releasing them from key posts.

Without freedom of speech and religion, this country will not last much longer.

• David Centerville, UT
    April 3, 2014 5:08 p.m.

A prominent speaker in SLC recently stated that safe, healthy societies will exist in only 2 situations: 1) a strong but good dictator, meaning a good person. The speaker mentioned that such a "good" dictator is quite rare. 2) In a society of democracy where religion is a foundation for the rule of law. He was not talking about a fundamentalist religious society. Rather, a society based upon the Judeo-Christian values of love, humility, honesty, integrity, the 10 commandments, etc.

America has been one of the greatest nations on the earth because of its religious foundation. But that has been changing for decades, and the past few years the change has been dramatic and alarming. Secularists who are trying to root out religious influence in politics and society will only be left with an unstable, unsafe society.

Religion is critical to community.

• USU-Logan Logan, UT
    April 3, 2014 5:19 p.m.

Brendan Eich has his right to support prop. 8, Mozilla’s staff have their right to call his resignation, consumers have their right to boycott, and to call other users to switch to different browsers.

In the end, Brendan Eich made his decision that resignation would be best for the company. After all, according to WSJ, his appointment as CEO already led to the resignation of three members of the company's board, now maybe they can come back.

• slcdenizen t-ville, UT
    April 3, 2014 5:27 p.m.

@David

"Rather, a society based upon the Judeo-Christian values of love, humility, honesty, integrity, the 10 commandments, etc."

Under which of the above categories lies preventing gays from marrying their partners? Who is disagreeing with the foundations of our society? I'm unfamiliar with any attempts at undermining our moral foundation, except from those who elevate personal biases and motives above the common good.

• Tuffy Parker Salem, UT
    April 3, 2014 5:35 p.m.

It's a sad day when society at large allows the personal exercise of political and religious beliefs to be silenced. Liberals are only tolerant of opinions that align with their own and with this country becoming liberal or indifferent to liberalism, freedom of religion as we've known it will soon be gone.

I am shocked at the pace at which this is occurring and it honestly hurts my heart to see it happen.

• ThornBirds St.George, Utah
    April 3, 2014 5:58 p.m.

Always best for all concerned to leave one's personal views to one's self at one's place of employment.
    Opening up all of one's personal morality causes nothing but trouble from there on out.
    Don't let anyone goad you into one of those "friendly discussions".

• antodav TAMPA, FL
    April 3, 2014 7:01 p.m.

Firefox is still a terrible browser, but I still must admit that I have additional respect for the company itself after reading this. Thank you.

• RBB Sandy, UT
    April 3, 2014 8:00 p.m.

The very people calling for his resignation would be outraged if someone were forced out of a company for expressing the opposite view. This is why antidiscriminatuon laws are a bad idea. Some groups are allowed to discriminate while using the laws to go after those with whom they disagree.

• Kally Salt Lake City, UT
    April 3, 2014 8:18 p.m.

Contrast this to One World and the support they received from their conservative donors when they announced they would recognize the same-sex marriages of their employees -

Oh, wait!

They were boycotted and ended up changing their position.

• Stormwalker Cleveland , OH
    April 3, 2014 8:40 p.m.

@RBB:

If the shoe was on the other foot, those who are now outraged that he resigned would be overjoyed. For example, look at the long lines of people who lined up to buy chicken sandwiches to support the position of Chik-Fil-A chief Dan Cathey.

Personally, I question his commitment to fostering equality in the company (a long-held Mozilla value) if, in his personal life, he is opposed to equality and shows it by making donations to groups opposed to equality. On the other hand, he was a founder of the company and claims he left those values at the door. I wasn't there, so I don't know.

At the same time, articles in the Wall Street Journal pointed to other problems that caused dissension among board members when he was promoted to CEO, especially his seeming lack of interest in the exploding mobile browser market. (Mozilla has less than 1% of the mobile market share.)

As an outsider, I suspect that the "gay issue" makes better headlines than discussions of market share and emerging technology platforms, but the inside story was more complicated than we know.

• Mark B Eureka, CA
    April 3, 2014 8:47 p.m.

Could we pause a second and consider just WHO it was that cost Mr. Erich his position? No, it wasn't the government, nor the CIA, his gay acquaintances or some mysterious cabal of liberals. No, it was his fellow stockholders - the people he would have spent most of his working days with. It's not even impossible that he was ousted for reasons that had nothing to do with his opinions. Like the rest of these posters, I wasn't there.

• Tekakaromatagi Dammam, Saudi Arabia
    April 3, 2014 8:49 p.m.

Neo-McCarthyism. Witch Hunts and people losing their jobs.

I read Mozilla's blog statement saying they value diversity. Well, apparently not. I find an appalling hypocrisy when a university forces someone out for stating their views or even signing a petition and then they say, "We believe in diversity." It gives diversity a bad name.

• Karen R. Houston, TX
    April 3, 2014 9:26 p.m.

I haven't found anything that says that Eich's donation was motivated by a religious belief, so the author may be making an unfounded assumption here.

Mozilla's mission statement emphasizes equality and inclusiveness and the company's Executive Chair confirmed that this explicitly includes LGBT and marriage equality. So isn't this an example of a company living up to its principles? Would you want the leader of your religion to be someone who believes the opposite of your church doctrine?

@ Tekakaromatagi - Were you screaming witch hunt and decrying people losing their jobs when those affected were gay people?

• I know it. I Live it. I Love it. Provo, UT
    April 3, 2014 9:44 p.m.

Uninstalling Firefox today.

• I know it. I Live it. I Love it. Provo, UT
    April 3, 2014 10:37 p.m.

Mark B,

The CEO AND Mozilla's own blog both openly state that his political position is why he's being ousted.

Even if they weren't "open", it's absolute folly to even suggest that liberals and proponents of SSM aren't bullying everyone. Anyone arguing anything else is either ignoring the entire world around them or they are pushing the same 'moral relativist' propaganda themselves.

• RBB Sandy, UT
    April 4, 2014 2:18 a.m.

Stormwalker,

Apparently being pro diversity and equality only applies if you share the same views as others in the company. I manage several people who disagree with my politics and/or religion. I do not fire them for their beliefs, but doubtless there are some who would fire me for mine if the shoe were on the other foot.

By the way, Chick-fillet is a bad analogy. People lined up to support Chick-fillet after several gay marriage groups threatened a boycott. Claiming to support diversity and then favoring punishing someone who presents a divergent view is hypocracy.

I am not normally a boycott type person as I think everyone has the right to their opinion. However this coming week Firefox will be removed from all the computers in my office. If Mozilla cannot handle diversity of thought, I will not use their browser.

• Allen Salt Lake valley, UT
    April 4, 2014 2:24 a.m.

I use Firefox on my Mac, and I like it. I don't care if the CEO is liberal, conservative, gay, straight, religious, atheistic, or whatever. Firefox is a good product, and I use it for technical reasons.

• My2Cents Taylorsville, UT
    April 4, 2014 5:32 a.m.

Like it or not, every business has the right to set standards of conduct and ethics for his employees including those of the owners beliefs. Without standards of conduct and ethical laws no business can remain reputable or trusted. A business owner can shut the doors any time he wants and fire every employee and close every store he owns without government approval. The supreme court has no jurisdiction over free enterprise.

It time for business owners to stand up for their rights, employees are bound by his terms and conditions of employment and health care is not a right of workers and health care limits and offerings are negotiations that owners have a right to approve or disapprove.

Obamacare has opened Pandora's box too mass unemployment and defunding of the core of america. Just as doctors and health care providers can go out of business if they don't like the government demands and requirements. Socialized health care can only be implemented if government does every thing. Americans are not bound by any law to stay in business and without jobs and taxation the governemnt is just a document.

• Dr. Thom Long Beach, CA
    April 4, 2014 6:36 a.m.

Well now he has all the time and money in the world to grind an axe that will make his last political contribution seem like chump change

• Stormwalker Cleveland , OH
    April 4, 2014 8:17 a.m.

RBB:

Chick-Fil-A has a policy supporting anti-Gay groups, their CEO gives to the same organizations. The public noticed. Part of the public objected and called for a boycott. People who supported the actions stood in line and bought sandwiches.

Mozilla has a Gay positive corporate policy, the new CEO gave money to a group that is contrary to that policy. The public noticed and questioned the seeming conflict. Some called for a boycott, others called for support. While Mr Cathy, CEO of Chick-Fil-A acted congruent with company policy, Mr Eich was not congruent. The public continued to question the situation, Mr Eich decided to step down. I am sure he could have weathered the storm, he decided not to. His choice to donate, his choice to step down to minimize the controversy.

I disagree with his actions, just like I disagree with Dan Cathy. I support their right to speak, I also support the rights of others to question and object. Chick-Fil-A lost some business but continues. Mozilla faces stiff competition and does not need distraction right now.

• Stormwalker Cleveland , OH
    April 4, 2014 8:57 a.m.

@RBB - Continued

I recently left a supervisory position in a gay friendly company. I interviewed and hired for every department except nursing. As part of my introduction to candidates I told my story, including mentioning my husband and I moving to Cleveland when I started with the company. A couple of people did not want to work with openly Gay supervisors and talked to me about it when declining the job. Others were thrilled, including two who started crying at the thought of working in a place where they could be open and honest and not fear retribution.

I had worked in a company in North Georgia with very "Christian" management and atmosphere. It was not uncommon to hear slurs against Gays, Jews and others not part of the acceptable local denominations. I am open about who I am, I experienced nasty comments and some sermons. I am also very good at what I do and was mostly bullet-proof from actual retribution. At times it was hostile, and others had been fired for not being invisible.

It goes both ways.

• Bob A. Bohey Marlborough, MA
    April 4, 2014 11:38 a.m.

Check your religion at your door or at your churches door, just as the fore fathers of this great and secular representative republic intended. When folks do that everyone's rights are upheld.

• gittalopctbi Glendale, AZ
    April 4, 2014 11:45 a.m.

@I know it. I Live it. I Love it. is absolutely correct in quoting Mozilla's now infamous "apology to the world." He was forced out because of his donation to Prop 8, known because of CA's (in my opinion) flawed law that state that any donor above $100 must be made public. Might as well just publish how one voted.

I am now writing this using Chrome, after being with Firefox since its inception because 1) Mozilla is being hypocritical in not defending Eich, 2) because of their lame and offensive "apology," and 3) because I am so tired of gay bullying and spineless entities who submit to them.

Gee, when you look at most homosexuals and their socioeconomic status and how they are idolized by the news and entertainment media and many parts of government, I think it doesn't seem much like they are discriminated against like other minorities were/are.

• Vanceone Provo, UT
    April 4, 2014 12:05 p.m.

The good news is that the next time some gay rights supporter tells you to explain why gay marriage is no harm, you can point and say "Brendan Eich is not gay, but you guys fired him. Am I next if you get your way?"

This affects all of us. It's one thing to think that "why should I stand in the way of Adam and Steve being happy?" It's a whoooole other ballgame when its "Hey, these guys are actively trying to fire me and my Bishop and anyone else who won't kowtow to their every whim. I'd probably better stop them before it's my neck on the line."

Congratulations, Gay activists: You just provided an ironclad case why the rest of us should tell you where to go: because you want to terminate every single person who disagrees with you. That's about as intrusive as you can get.

• A Guy With A Brain Enid, OK
    April 4, 2014 1:14 p.m.

So, in America, when do we get to exercise our "free speech" rights?

Apparently only when the pro-homosexual crowd says you can.

• Californian#1@94131 San Francisco, CA
    April 4, 2014 3:45 p.m.

This is not about "religion in the workplace."

It is about the right to have principles and express them (outside of the workplace in this case, BTW) without fearing the loss of one's livelihood.

I live in San Francisco, the nation's hotbed of diversity and tolerance, and I can confirm that diversity and tolerance are alive and well under the right circumstances, for the right people, if they say and do the right things.

• gmlewis Houston, TX
    April 4, 2014 3:53 p.m.

@slcdenizen quoted @David:
    ---
    Of course, there is no moral wrong in two persons of the same sex marrying each other. They can live together, pay bills together, share their wealth and include each other in their wills. However, if they have sex together, that falls under one of the ten commandments. His question deserved an answer.

• Bob K portland, OR
    April 4, 2014 4:02 p.m.

Let's be clear.

The man went to a Jesuit college that is "the right place for serious catholic young men"

He presumably contributed because his church originated and backed Prop 8, later recruiting Utah mormons that bishop Cordileone knew.

I give him credit for sticking with his beliefs.

BUT -- If you are lds
    -- would you be comfortable working for a man who had given money for the campaign to remove the lds tax exemption?
    -- would you be comfortable working for a man who had given public disrespect to the lds, but promised to be fair to you at work?

He had to go because he could not be the leader, with his track record. He could have kept his other job there forever.

• slcdenizen t-ville, UT
    April 4, 2014 6:26 p.m.

@ gmlewis

Which commandment?

• The Scientist Provo, UT
    April 5, 2014 7:08 a.m.

gmlewis,

We deserve an answer.

Which of the Ten Commandments declares sex between married same sex partners a "sin"?

• Laura Bilington Maple Valley, WA
    April 5, 2014 9:22 a.m.

A smear campaign is a smear campaign, even if you share the animosity of those doing the smearing. There are groups which say pretty awful things about Mormons, Catholics, and blacks. If you belonged to one of these religions or races, would you want a CEO who had given a thousand dollars to a group dedicated to restricting their rights? Even if he promised that his personal views wouldn't affect his actions?

• Denverite Centennial, CO
    April 5, 2014 9:56 a.m.

The only thing Brandon Eich should have done differently was to say, "I exercised my First Amendment rights, years ago BTW, I did nothing wrong and I'm not resigning. If you want me to leave, you will publicly have to fire me and publicly announce to the world that you're firing me for exercising my First Amendment rights, years ago BTW, and that you are only doing it to cave in to a tiny but disproportionately loud minority of militant homosexual activists."

• Demiurge San Diego, CA
    April 7, 2014 11:07 p.m.

There is no right to be a CEO, and as a CEO one is always representing the company. Apparently the board felt he was going to be more negative then positive and let him go. The LGBTs didn't get him fired, neither did the liberals. If anything this was a business decision based solely on the perceived net value of the CEO. They are the ONLY ones with the authority - and the right - to do so.