Report: BYU-Hawaii to phase out athletics over three years

Comments

• Nate in the 808 orem, ut
    March 25, 2014 12:03 p.m.

After all the people President Steven Wheelwright forced into retirement, its a surprise that athletics hasn't been dropped already.

• Sports Are Great Salt Lake City, UT
    March 25, 2014 12:09 p.m.

Being that President Monson is the Chairman of the Board of Trustees of BYU, BYU Hawaii, and Byu Idaho, I'll support the decisions they make. I've seen some LDS people suggest BYU drop athletics. I'll go ahead and support whatever President Monson decides. And yes, any major decision on athletics at any church school would go before the Chairman of the Board.

• West Coast1 Secane, PA
    March 25, 2014 12:13 p.m.

As a former collegiate athlete for BYU-H I can tell you that this has been talked about for quite a few years now. I really hope they don't go through with the change. College athletics are a great part of the university experience, not to mention all of the missionary work that is done among the non-LDS athletes.

• Seldom Seen Smith Orcutt, CA
    March 25, 2014 12:28 p.m.

I'd like to see BYU Hawai'i follow the BYU Idaho model. Somewhat related, division I college football and basketball have morphed into essentailly professional athletics, creating conflict and hypocristy with the mission of the BYU Provo campus.

• patriot Cedar Hills, UT
    March 25, 2014 12:53 p.m.

my guess is...BYU Provo will drop out of the NCAA in the next decade as well. As the NCAA moves more and more to Sunday play and the cost to recruit Division 1 coaches goes up and the Y is left out of a conference in Football ....BYU will finally throw in the towell. Just a guess.

• UtahRef` Saint George, UT
    March 25, 2014 1:24 p.m.

I have degrees from Ricks, SUU and BYU. I always gave to each school until people messed with athletics. Ricks got its last nickel from me when it dropped athletics. SUU got its last nickel when it dropped baseball. I give to BYU because I'll always be a Cougar, but if BYU ever drops athletics, they can go away.

In Cedar City, we had a good baseball tradition. However, the Snow College Mafia in charge there (former president, current AD) put SUU in the Big Sky without considering what that would do to baseball. Then they couldn't find us a baseball conference, so they dropped the program -- all without so much as a word to the boosters. We went from planning a new baseball stadium one week to "adios, beisbol" the next. Well, good for them ... they're allowed to do that. But they better never again ask me for another dime for athletics. I'd rather give it to Dixie State. At least Dixie has baseball.

If BYU-H drops athletics, they better consider what that will do to annual giving. I'm not the only booster who feels this way.

• BlueHusky Mission Viejo, CA
    March 25, 2014 1:35 p.m.

@patriot
    I don't see BYU dropping NCAA Div 1 sports, let alone all sports. The exposure BYU gets via their sports program is huge. As for money, BYU sports are not funded by tithing, so essentially BYU sports is funded by the success of their programs. They are very competitive in all major sports, and are national leaders in some, e.g. rugby, volleyball. They have very strong women's teams, too.

The small schools, BYU-Idaho and Hawaii, are off the radar in any case. Like countless small schools who don't have significant intercollegiate sports, they will continue to serve their educational missions. But I think that a sports team, not necessarily football, is a fun and valuable part of the academic experience.

Not happening with BYU. It is big time and intends to stay that way.

• bandersen Saint George, UT
    March 25, 2014 2:03 p.m.

Can sports only be vicariously experienced? Sports has a place, but "coliseum" comes to mind for a reason. X's and o's should not be placed next to solving world hunger as one of society's most noble goals! Just because somebody wants to relive their childhood dreams doesn't mean that tax payers should have to pay a 7 digit salary to a coach nor construct a building on campus larger than a LAX landing strip. BYU-Idaho did the right thing! BYU Provo could be up next.

• TMR Los Angeles, CA
    March 25, 2014 2:26 p.m.

I have not attended any of the BYU schools and have always found that BYU-Provo, in particular, engages in a bit too much puffery about its academic reputation; however, this move would increase my respect considerably for the BYU-cluster of universities. If BYU- Provo would do the same a powerful message would be conveyed about the real purpose of universities. In terms of "missionary work," such a message would be far more effective that an occasional blurb on ESPN.

• Duckhunter Highland, UT
    March 25, 2014 3:33 p.m.

@banderson

Uh....BYUs sports program is in no way supported by "tax payers". If you want to try to make a point using that approach then you need to go after the state run institutions that are supported by the "tax payers". BYU is funded by private money.

• IndeMak South Jordan, UT
    March 25, 2014 3:42 p.m.

It's just a matter of time.

• UtahUte91 Sandy, UT
    March 25, 2014 4:39 p.m.

TMR

"If BYU- Provo would do the same [drop athletics] a powerful message would be conveyed about the real purpose of universities."

LOL!

Your "powerful message" would have a media shelf life of about a day, then BYU would disappear COMPLETELY off the national radar.

• Ed Grady Idaho Falls, ID
    March 25, 2014 4:54 p.m.

Don't drop any more sports at Church schools. Dropping sports at Ricks College (BYU-I) was a bad idea. Nobody cares about the big basketball game between the 333rd Ward and the 627th Ward. Students would care about a game between BYU-I and Dixie or fill-in-the-blank. Like anything else, intercollegiate sports has its warts, but it unites a student body like nothing else.

• cdchttrtn meridian, idaho
    March 25, 2014 5:35 p.m.

Dropping athletics at BYU - Hawaii is the dumbness thing I have ever heard of and when they decided to drop athletics at BYU Idaho was the first dumbness thing that was ever done. Who would want to go to a school that didn't have these programs. Athletics at BYU puts BYU on the map throughout not only the USA, but the world. Can't understand you people that thinks dropping these programs is a good idea.

• WSUfan Farmington, UT
    March 25, 2014 5:37 p.m.

BYU-Hawai'i faces unique travel challenges for a small university. That probably weighs the most heavily in their decision. Constant travel of multiple teams to the mainland has to be financially draining, especially when they have no real revenue generating sports source. Hate to see them do away with athletics, but I can see the why they might choose to do so.

• agarrett PROVO, UT
    March 25, 2014 5:54 p.m.

Can people stop referring to BYU as "BYU Provo." It's called BYU.

• Jazzsmack Holladay, UT
    March 25, 2014 7:19 p.m.

All colleges and universities should drop sports.

It is not part of their primary academic mission.

All amateur sports should be club sports.

There is simply no need for college level sports.

• Tilka PORTLAND, OR
    March 25, 2014 7:27 p.m.

What they should do is consider bringing back sports to BYU Idaho.

• Darren Rowe Heber City, UT
    March 25, 2014 8:06 p.m.

I personally don't care what BYU-H does with their athletic program. But PLEASE BYU do not drop your sports! They are so much fun to be a part of, but it wouldn't make any sense either. BYU sports is financially profitable, brings attention to the school, and allows students to excel in their talents.

I know BYU is not considering it right now, but first it was BYU-I, now it is BYU-H. I just hope BYU never even brings that up.

• Uncle Rico Provo, UT
    March 25, 2014 10:30 p.m.

If it isn't making money get rid of it. Why should it be subsidized by other people/programs?

• Hemlock Salt Lake City, UT
    March 26, 2014 10:36 a.m.

Until schools accept the Ivy League, or better yet Cal Tech's, model for athletics, the tail will continue to wag the dog. Appealing to donors who have little interest in the fundamental mission of a university and receiving money from revenue sports are the primary reasons for current athletic programs.

• MR. T Provo, UT
    March 26, 2014 11:09 a.m.

BYUH and BYU have two very different athletic programs. Having attended both, BYUH has no community and very little student attendance at the games. The biggest supporting group is the senior missionaries at the PCC....very different from the support found at BYU.

• Flashback Kearns, UT
    March 26, 2014 11:29 a.m.

BYU's football team hasn't been the same since Ricks dropped sports. Losing the farm team has been telling over the years. The College Formerly Known as Ricks ought to start back up. They have a big enough enrollment and would be a good Big Sky school for sports.

• Crisco B Salt Lake City, UT
    March 26, 2014 12:09 p.m.

#1, The Church institution in Provo is called BYU. There is no Provo affixed to it, as some have pointed out above. This is not a matter of being pretentious, but rather just a matter of getting it right. It is like referring to Stanford at Palo-Alto. We know Stanford is in Palo Alto. No need to clarify. BYU is in Provo. We do not need to affix a place name to it.

#2, What is the fundamental mission of BYU? Who knows. The only way to really know is to be in Thomas S. Monson's head. I personally think that athletics do a great deal of good for BYU. It actually allows BYU to have a broader identity.

#3 I know that since Ricks became BYU-Idaho, no one in my family has given them one red cent. We are not BYU-Idaho alumni. We are a Ricks family.

• runnerguy50 Virginia Beach, Va
    March 26, 2014 12:23 p.m.

BYU-H will most likely drop sports and I can understand why. If an LDS kid wants to play sports at a small LDS school they can do so at Southern Virginia University which is trying to grow their footprint in sports at the D3 level. The cost must be very high to travel from Hawaii to the mainland. SVU will get more publicity for the Church through sports then BYU-H. So all you west coasters get ready to head to Buena Vista !!

• Flashback Kearns, UT
    March 26, 2014 12:39 p.m.

You can still get Ricks College paraphernalia at the bookstore in Rexburg at the College Formerly Known as Ricks.

• Old But Not Stupid Moorpark, CA
    March 26, 2014 2:03 p.m.

TMR
    Los Angeles, CA

"I have not attended any of the BYU schools and have always found that BYU-Provo, in particular, engages in a bit too much puffery about its academic reputation; however, this move would increase my respect considerably for the BYU-cluster of universities."

I graduated from Occidental College (the faux West Coast Ivy) where Obama went for two years, and then received two graduate degrees from UCLA. I refuse to donate to my alma maters.

I have encouraged my younger kids to attend and graduate from BYU. These experiences led to my conclusion that the "marriage factory" label for BYU (as when I matriculated) is no longer valid. And the concurrent dumbing down of ALL state schools' curricula have led to the result that the schools I attended are now the deficient ones.

You want to see academic "puffery"? Pull some recent PhD dissertations from these "state school" academic programs and see for yourself the USELESS and irrelevant academic work being produced.

• El Chango Supremo Rexburg, ID
    March 26, 2014 2:46 p.m.

Where is the faith in our leaders? I'm a BYU-I alum who had a great experience there. I support whatever decision President Monson signs off on. My feeling is that BYU (Provo) will be the only church school with athletic teams in the future because it is the only school that brings in revenue and widespread national recognition with it's athletic program.

But, whatever decision is made, I support it.

• idablu Idaho Falls, ID
    March 26, 2014 3:48 p.m.

Dropping athletics at Ricks/BYU-I made no sense to me and still doesn't. For a JC it had a terrific fan base and a lot of support. It makes more sense to me to drop the athletics at BYU-H because I imagine the travel budget is enormous, and it sounds like there isn't much fan/alumni support. Despite that I wouldn't favor dropping athletics at any of the BYU schools. Athletics is a very important part of the college experience in my opinion. I know I, nor my kids, would attend a college that didn't have intercollegiate sports. It is important to me.

• JapanCougar Apo, AP
    March 26, 2014 3:49 p.m.

Is there any truth to this rumor? Can anyone else confirm?

• CougarSunDevil Phoenix, AZ
    March 26, 2014 4:11 p.m.

"I hear that the SEC schools are considering dropping academics from their sports programs.

Is there any truth to this rumor? Can anyone else confirm?

For what it's worth, Harvard seems to have done a nice job making a name for itself outside the collegiate sports world, as has Yale and several other academic institutions that haven't forgotten their purpose."

A quote this good needed to be said again

• Ernest T. Bass Bountiful, UT
    March 26, 2014 4:17 p.m.

We could save money by having members clean churches. That way we could afford to keep playing sports.
    Wait, what?

• Kimball Bakersfield, CA
    March 26, 2014 4:17 p.m.

The worshippers of the god of sports are going to be unhappy.

• sherlock holmes Eastern, UT
    March 26, 2014 4:37 p.m.

Can it be that a college can actually be a college and not have a league-based sports program?

What a novel idea.

The draw to BYU H has never been its sports program. It is those lovely beaches, ideal climate and the ocean. And, lest we forget, the PCC! Sports is probably a distant 4th as students look at reasons to go to BYUH.

• Silent Lurker Cottonwood Heights, UT
    March 26, 2014 4:51 p.m.

Many staunch BYU fans are not willing to see the writing on the wall. After putting the basketball and all other sports programs under the bus for football independence BYU will eventually drop Division I sports at BYU Provo. Truth is BYU will never be admitted to a major conference because of Sunday play and will continue it's decline to the point that it will be even more irrelevant than it is now.

• Cats Somewhere in Time, UT
    March 26, 2014 5:01 p.m.

Dear TMR:

There is no such university as BYU-Provo. There is a university named BYU that happens to be located in Provo, UT.

• Cats Somewhere in Time, UT
    March 26, 2014 5:09 p.m.

I don't believe there is ANY intention or consideration whatsoever to have BYU drop sports programs. They get a lot of really positive national attention for the school.

• Real Bass Idaho Falls, ID
    March 26, 2014 6:10 p.m.

This would be a very bad idea! Dropping sports at Ricks College was foolish and shortsighted. What's next do away with music on campus?

• GD Syracuse, UT
    March 26, 2014 6:36 p.m.

It is probably a good idea considering the travel and expense. However sports are an integral part of any education program. Speaking of BYU-Idaho the opportunity it provides students is amazing as I understand it. Coaching experience that you wouldn't find at any university. The opportunity to referee etc. They have programs for several layers of students who want to go into coaching or learning refereeing etc. Although I didn't agree with the decision initially I do now. I feel bad for the student athletes who have been planning on going there. There will probably be other opportunities for them hopefully.

• IQ92 hi, UT
    March 26, 2014 6:47 p.m.

Moving funds from BYU-I elite athletics to BYU-I student (intramural) athletics was genius. The same money that benefited a few, now benefits 100x as many students. The same will happen at BYU-H. Nice to see a school(s) that puts students first.

• West Coast1 Secane, PA
    March 26, 2014 8:13 p.m.

I am super sad about the decision. Farewell, Seasider athletics.

• netjes Grand Rapids, MI
    March 26, 2014 8:27 p.m.

In a perfect world, BYU-Hawaii would play NCAA Division III in the Southern California Intercollegiate Athletic Conference, and BYU-Idaho would play NCAA Division III in the Northwest Conference. Unfortunately, both schools are logistically challenged. Maybe NAIA. Hopefully, these decisions are revisited.

Intercollegiate athletics are an important part of the college experience. My daughter attends BYU and her social life revolves around the ROC Pass. Otherwise, you're no different than Rosie's College of Hair. BYU's move to the West Coast Conference (and independent in football) has been good. It seems like a good fit.

• CordonBleu Park City, UT
    March 26, 2014 10:58 p.m.

"New York Times features the BYU women's basketball team"

The kind of positive publicity an athletic program is capable of generating and one of the main reasons BYU will never drop athletics.

• ClarkHippo Tooele, UT
    March 27, 2014 12:11 a.m.

A Chicago judge has ruled student athletes at Northwestern University are employees of the school and therefore may unionize.

The NCAA is currently being sued by a number of former college athletes who believe they should be better compensated.

Tom Holmoe and the BYU Board of Trustees are well aware of what’s on the horizon and are getting ready for the changes which will no doubt be occurring soon to college sports.

But these changes are going to affect all schools, including state run colleges like the U of U.

Will all college athletic departments eventually be phased out? I doubt it, but at the same time, I easily see more and more schools like BYU-Hawaii getting rid of their sports teams. Locally, BYU, Utah and Utah State will probably survive, but schools like SUU, Weber State and UVU? Not sure. The more college athletes get paid, the greater likelihood ticket prices for games will skyrocket and I’m not sure how many people are going to pay $50, $75 or $100 to see Weber State play Sacramento State or see SUU play Montana State.

• thebigsamoan Richmond, VA
    March 27, 2014 3:41 a.m.

As long as the Cougars stay competitive then there's no need to worry about it being dropped. But there's a bigger danger to college sports arising in the horizon, starting with the changes now happening with Northwestern University unionizing their athletes to become paid employees of the school. If that thing spreads across the nation, I'm not sure many school will be able to afford doing that, thus spelling the end of their athletic programs. Once football and basketball athletes start getting paid to play college sports, what will keep back other athletes in other sports from wanting to join the chorus? There's change coming to the college sports world and I'm not sure it's all good.

Btw, I went to BYU-H when it was CCH and I can vouch to the lack of fan support for any sport events we had then and I'm not sure that it got any better.

• oddman ,
    March 27, 2014 7:19 a.m.

Let's face it. College spots is a huge financial drain regardless who or where it is. Granted it generates revenue but consider this: to the best of my knowledge the universities in the United Staes are the only universities in the world that sponsor and promote college sports. The great universities throughout the rest of the world do not have intercollegiate athletics but do it on a club basis outside of the umbrella of the university. Look at the Olympics and it seems that this practice hasn't hurt the universal community of athletics. And academically these universities excel (that, of course, is a generalization)

• bradleyc Layton, UT
    March 27, 2014 7:48 a.m.

It is a dumb idea to get rid of athletics at BYUH. It was dumb to do it at Ricks. You now have a mostly female school in Idaho. Nothing wrong with that, the young men who go there have a blast but I would never attend a school without an athletic program. Whenever I go to the islands I always drop by BYUH and pick up a seasider Jersey or hat etc. I say keep the programs.

• deseret pete robertson, Wy
    March 27, 2014 8:33 a.m.

edchttrtn :

Who would want to go to a school that don't have these programs ?

Answer: Over 20,000 who attend just one of those schools.

• North Guy Corinne, UT
    March 27, 2014 9:26 a.m.

I feel for the people in the Rexburg area (BYU Idaho) from what I have heard and understand that community really loved their sports programs. Not to mention I am sure the students got behind their team as well. BYU sports in general is often referred to by both football and basketball coach's as being a great ambassador for the university. (BYU Provo) I agree with "Tilka" they need to strongly consider bringing back sports to (BYU Idaho). If indeed (BYU-H) sports programs are being shutdown it will be considered "elsewhere".

• plyxply SLC, UT
    March 27, 2014 10:29 a.m.

BYU-Provo will drop it's athletics before too long, they just can't compete in the real world of athletics anymore. They fail to recruit local kids, they fail to see the reality of their situation, and before too long they won't even be able to get Idaho to come down and play them.
    BYU-Provo, the writing is on the wall, I'd give it 10 years and BYU-Provo will no longer have athletics.

• Scores Idaho Falls, ID
    March 27, 2014 10:45 a.m.

"stupid is as stupid does". Dropping sports at BYU-I was a DUMB decision. Was then, still is!

• Scores Idaho Falls, ID
    March 27, 2014 11:10 a.m.

BYU does not play sports on Sunday. Never did...never will! That is just one reason why sports will never die at BYU. We might be hated in the minds of many, but BYU is one of the most respected universities in the entire country. We stand for something and our sports teams STAND FOR SOMETHING. Just look at the way so many lives have been changed for the better because of the kind of people we have watching over these special student athletes. BYU is the lighthouse to many who are not members of the church. Let the lower lights be burning; send a gleam across the wave. We are here to rescue and to save. With BYU's lead, you will see others who will follow. Even Mark Few of Gonzaga mentioned during the WCC tournament that not playing on Sunday was a good thing...and wished they wouldn't ever play on Sunday. Thanks BYU for being that leader and lighthouse to the world!

• LJohnson Los Angeles, CA
    March 27, 2014 11:12 a.m.

BYU Womens Soccer Coach Jennifer Rockwood will need to change her practice of recruiting ONLY UT players. She won't be able to ship her out-of-state rejects to BYU-Hawaii Anymore. Two yrs ago, she got commitments from 8 sophomore HS players- ALL FROM UT & 6 of the 8 from the same SPARTA club team. So while attending BYU's next womens soccer team, you're safe to YELL Code Word SPARTA & See who LOOKS. What a JOKE! The continued Inbreeding & Neopotism in BYU's athletics is Unfathomable & Ridiculous! (Most of the Starting Players on BYU's Mens Basketball team all grew-up in Alpine, & the Provo/Orem Area. It's No Wonder why BYU couldn't make it out of the 1st round of March Madness. We NEED BROs- DUH!!) BYU's AThletic Recruiting is embarrassing. We Pay $$Tithing in CA too. Tons of it!!!!!

• Shamal Happy Valley, UT
    March 27, 2014 11:13 a.m.

Nate in the 808-
    I believe that many of those "forced" into retirement had effectively already retired. He just stopped paying them like they were working.
    Anyone the church sent to clean things up would have probably done the same. Your beef is with the Church, not president wheelwright.

• MyPerspective Salt Lake City, UT
    March 27, 2014 11:14 a.m.

Old But Not Stupid
    Moorpark, CA

"I have encouraged my younger kids to attend and graduate from BYU."

Hmmmmm...would that be byu-P, byu-I, or byu-H?

• MyPerspective Salt Lake City, UT
    March 27, 2014 11:20 a.m.

thebigsamoan
    Richmond, VA

"[T]here's a bigger danger to college sports arising in the horizon, starting with the changes now happening with Northwestern University unionizing their athletes to become paid employees of the school. If that thing spreads across the nation, I'm not sure many school will be able to afford doing that, thus spelling the end of their athletic programs."

Tom Holmoe, at byu-P, has already voiced his support to pay players. That's where the major conference are headed and Homoe at byu-P wants in.

• killarney Lincoln Park, IL
    March 27, 2014 11:31 a.m.

plyxply

Reality:

BYU football - nine straight bowl games
    Utah football - two straight bowl less, losing seasons

BYU men's basketball - 7 of 9 Rose-era seasons in the Big Dance, with a Sweet Sixteen and NPOY
    Utah men's basketball - literally one-game-and-done in the last 9 seasons

BYU women's basketball - playing in the Sweet Sixteen this week
    Utah women's basketball - another losing season

In the 20+ years of the Directors' Cup, which measure overall athletic success of all men's and women's sports, Utah has NEVER finished ahead of BYU; in fact, BYU worst finish EVER, is BETTER than Utah's best finish EVER!

It's quite obvious which athletic program actually competes in the real world, and which program is only competitive under that crimson-colored bubble on the hill.

• Whatsnu Sandy, UT
    March 27, 2014 11:47 a.m.

MyPerspective

There is no such thing as BYU-Provo, it's simply BYU.

The other campuses might be considered "extentions" of BYU's campus, but BYU is not an extension of itself.

Since BYU's athletic programs are self-supporting, there's no danger that paying players would endanger BYU's athletic programs, but there is a danger that the tax payers may not be willing to continue supporting Utah's athletic programs.

• Wiscougarfan River Falls, WI
    March 27, 2014 11:53 a.m.

"BYU-Provo will drop it's athletics before too long, they just can't compete in the real world of athletics anymore."

You've got to love comments like these. RIGHT NOW the Cougars have a women's basketball team in the sweet 16, a men's volleyball team ranked #2 in the country, a rugby team looking for back-to-back national titles, etc. In the two big money sports the cougars have consistently gone bowling and dancing over the last several years.

Not only is BYU far and away the best all-around collegiate sports program in the state of Utah, they are the top program in the entire intermountain west area.

Here are the top ten teams in the region (Director's cup standings for last year):

43. BYU
    51. New Mexico
    55. Denver
    56. Colorado
    73. Air Force
    77. Utah
    87. UNLV
    122. Montana State
    139. Weber STate
    150. Colorado State

Got to love the jealousy on the hill. Go Cougs!

• LonestarRunner Salt Lake City, UT
    March 27, 2014 11:55 a.m.

LJohnson

You're obviously a little disconnected from reality. BYU's last two recruiting classes, bolstered by Lone Peak HS players, were ranked in the Top 20 NATIONALLY. BYU didn't make it out of the 1st round this year because one of their key players from Provo suffered a season-ending ACL in the conference championship. BYU's women's soccer team made it to the Elite Eight last season and was highly ranked this season.

• Ray E. LITTLETON, CO
    March 27, 2014 12:21 p.m.

BYU Idaho (Ricks) dropped athletics because of its isolation. Mesa Community College, Snow College and others got tired of riding a bus for 25 hours only to have their heads handed to them on the field or court. Nobody in their conference wanted to play them, but BYU-I was not quite at the level of other schools in the region like Idaho, Idaho State, Montana, etc. I wonder if now, with the huge enrollment, BYU-I could step up to a WAC or Big Sky level. As a sports fan, I don't understand the church's intention to eliminate intercollegiate sports unless it feels there are better ways to use church funds. The church is responsible to the membership for prudent use of contributions, and obviously, there are millions of members around the world who could care less if a BYU team makes the Sweet 16.

• MyPerspective Salt Lake City, UT
    March 27, 2014 12:51 p.m.

Ray E.
    LITTLETON, CO

"Nobody in their conference wanted to play them, but BYU-I was not quite at the level of other schools in the region like Idaho, Idaho State, Montana, etc."

byu-p has its own challenges when it comes to conferences.

• deductive reasoning Arlington, VA
    March 27, 2014 12:56 p.m.

silentone

"Many staunch BYU fans are not willing to see the writing on the wall."

The only "writing on the wall" we "see", is the mass of a PAC 12 stickers Utah fans continue to plaster all over everything in sight to take their minds off of the fact that their football and basketball teams haven't accomplished anything since joining the PAC.

• Arizona Reader Gilbert, AZ
    March 27, 2014 12:58 p.m.

After having attended BYU-Idaho when the sports program had been disbanded and became more intra-mural based, a few things happened. School "spirit" that comes from athletics dropped, but the overall mission of the university was greatly supported. I had experiences running the basketball program, coaching, and playing in the league that I never would have had if they hadn't changed it. I do hope that BYU doesn't get rid of their sports, but when the Prophet speaks on those issues (like he did at BYU-Idaho) I follow and make the best of it. I think BYU-Hawaii will be just fine and may even impact more people than just the fun of attending games.

• Marked it Down Park City, UT
    March 27, 2014 1:06 p.m.

MyPerspective

What's so great about being in a "big boy" conference, if all you are is cannon fodder for the big boys of the conference?

9-18 in football
    17-37 in basketball

since volunteering to be a PAC 12 punching bag.

The truth is, Utah's football heyday happened in the MWC and their basketball heyday occurred in the WAC.

Except for a couple of individual game upsets, the Utes haven't done anything in either sport since joining the PAC.

• MyPerspective Salt Lake City, UT
    March 27, 2014 1:38 p.m.

Marked it Down
    Park City, UT

deductive reasoning
    Arlington, VA

"The only "writing on the wall" we "see", is the mass of a PAC 12 stickers Utah fans continue to plaster all over everything in sight..."

Those stickers really annoy you people, don't they. LOL! The football and basketball teams are very much on our minds and we are proud to be playing against the top competition in the land.

Go Utes!!
    Go Pac-12!!
    Good luck byu-p!

• Scores Idaho Falls, ID
    March 27, 2014 2:09 p.m.

Ask Florida State if the University runs their football operation or if it is a private corporation who does it. Maybe if the church would turn intercollegiate sports at BYU-I and BYU-H to a private business enterprise and still maintain the honor code for all athletes (So. Virginia Univ) we would have a thriving program for sports at those schools. Then as they see the success of the program, they could also go private at BYU....and make a ton of $$$$!

• Old Ricks Coach Rexburg, ID
    March 27, 2014 2:22 p.m.

I was at Ricks coaching when we lost the program. Numerous students who would have had a great opportunity to play in a great junior college program now go to other schools that simply don't offer what Ricks College did. We had a great intramural program here with hundreds participating. We now have more participating because the studentbody has doubled in size. An English professor once said to me, "I don't see why we have athletics at Ricks,what does it do for anyone?" My reply was, "I don't see why we have Enlish classes at Ricks. I learned how to speak it without ever taking a class." Two dumb statements, mine included. Most people who are against intercollegiate sports never coached them and never played them, with no clue about the incredible relationship between athletes and coaches. Countless former Ricks athletes have been or are great leaders. Many joined the Church here. Every athlete that was inducted into the Ricks College Hall of Fame has openly talked about their spiritual and academic growth while attending school here. We lost a precious gem.

• MyPerspective Salt Lake City, UT
    March 27, 2014 3:13 p.m.

Scores
    Idaho Falls, ID
    "...Then as they see the success of the program, they could also go private at BYU....and make a ton of $$$$!"

Are you referring to byu-provo?

• taxingthepoor SALT LAKE CITY, UT
    March 27, 2014 4:43 p.m.

Abolishing Student body government and now abolishing athletics.
    What's next ? No more going to the beach for the Seasiders.

• North Guy Corinne, UT
    March 27, 2014 4:50 p.m.

Old Ricks coach,
    Appreciated your personal insight, just wondering when they shut down the sports program was the decision a financial based decision? Or as has been mentioned difficulty in alining with conference competition. BYU was the recipient of a lot of great Ricks Junior college athletes that finished their playing careers in Provo.

• let's roll LEHI, UT
    March 27, 2014 5:05 p.m.

It would be interesting to see what would happen if the Board of Trustees was presented with a proposal from boosters/alumni that would fully fund intercollegiate athletics at BYU-I (with a limited slate of teams that would be Title IX compliant).

Especially if that proposal didn't require the BOT to take any action until funds had been raised to establish an endowment that would ensure funding for the first few years.

I would anticipate in the year or two it would take them to fund the endowment, they could line up a contingent invitation to a conference (e.g. WAC or MtW).

• Old But Not Stupid Moorpark, CA
    March 27, 2014 5:09 p.m.

MyPerspective
    Salt Lake City, UT

Old But Not Stupid
    Moorpark, CA
    "'I have encouraged my younger kids to attend and graduate from BYU.'"

"Hmmmmm...would that be byu-P, byu-I, or byu-H?"

Uhhh, which do you think? Seems like only the rash and envious crimson crowd of the university of utah can't seem to get the BYU, BYU-I, and BYU-H distinctions.

In case you missed the point of the comment I would not financially support ANY state school. I see them all as sterile, politically correct, and academically "dumbed down." Sort of a waste of the taxpayer dollar.

• NightOwlAmerica SALEM, OR
    March 28, 2014 11:20 a.m.

With an athletic program, BYU-ID would be a good fit for the Big Sky Conference.

• BYU-I Alum MORGAN HILL, CA
    March 28, 2014 12:40 p.m.

Both my husband and I played intercollegiate sports while at BYU-I (when it was Ricks College) and now our daughter plays for the BYU-Hawaii Volleyball Team which took 2nd Place in the Nation in NCAA Div 2 competition this year. How sad to see both of these schools eliminate their sports programs. Admission to BYU-Provo is rigorous and not every athlete can qualify for BYU-Provo or wants to play Division 1 sports because of the extreme commitments involved. There should be a place for the different levels of athletes within the CES system, and surely no one can argue that intramural sports are a true replacement for inter-collegiate competition. The benefits of competition,identity, sportsmanship and community that they can bring to a campus are so valuable! I hope BYU-H changes course and saves their programs.

• Strider303 Salt Lake City, UT
    March 28, 2014 3:05 p.m.

Several thoughts come to mind on college athletics.

IF the NFL and NBA would fund a developmental league or leagues, academically challenged post high school students could be drafted into developmental programs and stop the charade of being college student-athletes. See UNC as an example of the charade.

Recruit students who happen to be athletically talented and stop trying to make a silk purse (student) out of a sow's ear (athlete). Find similarly minded-institutions and develop your own league or even association and get rid of the NCAA. This is the way it used to be folks.

The face and nature of intercollegiate athletics in changing, and has changed in the half-century since I attended my first BYU Football game against George Washington U., we lost as I recall. It may not be in the best interests of THE University of Utah (BYU) to continue to associate with a corrupt or becoming corrupted system.

Change is hard sometimes, but after the pain comes the gain.

We aren't in the leadership, so we can choose either to follow or get out of the way, in my not so humble opinion.

• flatlander Omaha, NE
    March 28, 2014 10:04 p.m.

• SportsFan Orem, UT
    March 29, 2014 10:05 a.m.

flatlander

"College athletics is really just a side show. If they went away the universities would continue to educate their students and students would find other activities to entertain them."

And there would be NOTHING for sports fans in Nebraska to get excited about - no bowl games, no NCAA tournament, no college world series. Nothing but endless rows of corn.

BORING!

• poyman Lincoln City, OR
    March 31, 2014 1:26 a.m.

If the issue is not financially related then quite frankly it's a dumb idea (at best)... We really need to have the Brethren stay out of the athletic departments... They have done more damage to our Church School's reputation via the decisions that they have made in athletics (i.e. shutting down Sports Programs out of Rexburg, playing hard to get with the Big 12, and now this) in just the past 10 years than has been done on an accumulative basis since the beginning of the sports programs back in the late 1800s.

The stated objectives for our sports programs has been to give exposure to the church, garner the attention of those who follow sports around the country and even the world, and to compete at the highest levels with the best qualified talent...

The three decisions that I have enumerated and that the brethren have been involved in is the absolute opposite of what we should be doing if we wish to reach our stated Goals and Objectives.

• bigirish OREM, UT
    March 31, 2014 4:28 a.m.

I am frankly stunned at this prospect. I might have thought that maybe it was the travel money - but those folks having said it isn't, then what? I was PR/SID for some years at BYUH, and I know our winning teams made a positive impact on other schools and the community at large. To be national champs in some sports is no small thing either. That school is small and isolated on the north shore of Oahu, but it is athletics that helps bring it out of obscurity, give it respect, that and the PCC. I think we can have great sports and focus on scholarship too, a symbiotic relationship. I traveled with the women's VB team to the mainland for some tourneys once, had the pleasure of writing their story, They demanded respect from mainland teams as well as local ones. Classic games and national notoriety speak volumes as to whether any sport should be phased out - unless it has any negative impact. And I can't see any. How did this talk get started? The Church becomes more real to people when they can see our schools can compete athletically too.