Faith

Hamblin & Peterson: Joseph of Egypt, and Iran, Arabia and the West

Comments

• donn layton, UT
    March 22, 2014 10:00 a.m.

Joseph’s biography also figures prominently in the Mormon world:

• antodav TAMPA, FL
    March 22, 2014 11:39 a.m.

Interesting differences here between the Judeo-Christian and the Islamic accounts of the story of Joseph. The Islamic modifications to the story would make sense, given the Islamic insistence on prophetic infallibility, and other factors that are unique to Islamic culture.

• sg newhall, CA
    March 22, 2014 1:25 p.m.

The Quran's interpretation was to one up the God of Israel. Muslims/Islam is NOT a religion but a political, social system that advocates violence, world domination and death to all infidels (Christians et al). Nice article, but frankly it doesn't soften the harshness of Islam and the fact that it is a man-made religion by a known pedophile.

• Stormwalker Cleveland , OH
    March 22, 2014 7:43 p.m.

@donn: Joseph’s biography also figures prominently in the Mormon world: “That seer… his name shall be called Joseph and it shall be after the name of his father”. (Genesis 50:33 JST).A prophecy about Joseph Smith.

Of course, the validity of the "prophecy" might be questioned due to the fact it was written by Joseph Smith about himself, based on no text or document of any sort.

This is a religious version of the movie "Forrest Gump" where we see Tom Hank's character interacting with President Kennedy and various other historical figures and situations through a bit of movie-level photo-shopping

On the other hand, Joseph And the Amazing Technicolor Dreamcoat with Donny Osmond in the lead of one of my very favorite musicals, I have watched the DVD many times with great enjoyment and looked in vain for the soundtrack.

• Michigander Westland, MI
    March 23, 2014 1:12 p.m.

@donn:

• donn layton, UT
    March 24, 2014 8:51 a.m.

RE: Michigander : The Choice Seer is NOT Joseph Smith. The Choice Seer is a future full-blooded American Indian Moses. You need to read all the other descriptive evidence given in 2nd Nephi,3?

RE: Stormwalker, It is saying "I am a prophet because the revelation I put in my revision of the Bible text says I will be a prophet so it proves I am a prophet."

“ the validity of the ‘prophecy’ might be questioned due to the fact it was written by Joseph Smith about himself, based on no text or document of any sort.” True but,

The Inspired Version,Genesis 50:33 JST. "Joseph son of Jacob, prophesied of the future mission of the Prophet Joseph Smith twenty-four hundred years before the LDS prophet was born”(Religious truth defined by Joseph Fielding Smith, p.256-257).

• The Scientist Provo, UT
    March 24, 2014 7:43 p.m.

Michigander wrote:

"The Choice Seer is NOT Joseph Smith. The Choice Seer is a future full-blooded American Indian Moses. You need to read all the other descriptive evidence given in 2nd Nephi, chapter 3."

You've been reading too much Gileadi and paying too little attention to genetic research on Native Americans.