Faith

Why some church pastors are like Walter White from 'Breaking Bad'

Comments

• Hutterite American Fork, UT
    March 21, 2014 4:04 p.m.

It's the perfect scam. And, from the look of the lifestyles of some of these guys, they're not having any problem at all figuring out how to spend the cash.

• lizzie_bee Clearwater, FL
    March 21, 2014 9:15 p.m.

I think a huge red flag is any church that won't disclose their spending.

• Stormwalker Cleveland , OH
    March 21, 2014 10:40 p.m.

I am currently a member of a Unitarian Universalist congregation. Every penny that comes in and every penny that goes out is accounted for and approved by the board and is published in annual budgets and reports. I don't trust any church that keeps its books closed to examination and simply claims "our accountants have looked at the books and we pinky-swear it is all good! Now, we'll hear from the choir..."

• CSTRX Somewhere, CO
    March 22, 2014 5:21 a.m.

Oh the irony...

• 1aggie SALT LAKE CITY, UT
    March 22, 2014 10:26 a.m.

All churches need to fully disclose their finances (what came in and where it went). Then this will not happen.

• cpafred SALT LAKE CITY, UT
    March 22, 2014 10:34 a.m.

I will not give a dime to any church that does not fully disclose its finances. I can't understand why anybody would.

"Sunlight is said to be the best of disinfectants; electric light the most efficient policeman."
    Louis D. Brandeis

• Wastintime Los Angeles, CA
    March 22, 2014 10:43 a.m.

Instead of storing money inside a rental locker (as Walter White did) some churches (whose names shall go unspoken) buy the rental unit business.

• cjb Bountiful, UT
    March 23, 2014 4:54 a.m.

No matter how you slice or dice it, pastors becoming mega-rich is unseemly.

• JoeBlow Far East USA, SC
    March 23, 2014 8:40 a.m.

"No matter how you slice or dice it, pastors becoming mega-rich is unseemly."

I agree but would expand it.

"No matter how you slice or dice it, CHURCHES becoming mega-rich is unseemly."

It just seems to go completely against the whole concept of religious teachings.

You cannot help but to think that Jesus would be appalled at the massive wealth these large religions have been able to amass.

• cjb Bountiful, UT
    March 23, 2014 10:36 a.m.

Re Joe Blow

I would say that depends how the wealth is used. If a monetary of monks for example had one monk with skills as good or better than Warren Buffet who spent his time investing, and the monestary used this wealth to do good, but all the monks in the monestary lived humbly, I wouldn't have a problem with this would you? Or even if one of them had great communication skills and could attract sufficient donations that all the monks if they wanted could live as if they were mega rich, I still wouldn't have a problem with this. ... if this money were used to do good and all the monks lived humbly.

If you disagree, fine, my feelings on the matter would be to agree to disagree with you.

• JoeBlow Far East USA, SC
    March 23, 2014 5:44 p.m.

I sincerely doubt that Jesus envisioned a religion with billions of dollars worth of wealth.

Do you think Jesus would be pleased with the property holdings or financial wealth of the Catholic Church? Or the "insert large religion here"

I think he would say "you have all of this wealth today. And there are sick and hungry in this world TODAY. Tend to them."

• Jamescmeyer Midwest City, USA, OK
    March 24, 2014 7:45 a.m.

Some people complain about Joseph Smith not being wise because he kept using money to help people instead of developing the money so that he had more money to help people with.

Now people criticize the Church because it's done just that... While still helping people.