Faith

Wright Words: Disney's 'Frozen' and why we won't 'Let It Go'

Comments

• Anonymous User ARLINGTON, VA
    March 11, 2014 6:44 a.m.

Or you could buy a digital copy on Amazon.com 2 weeks ago and save yourself the wait....

• caf Bountiful, UT
    March 11, 2014 7:27 a.m.

It was also refreshing to see true love was not "new love" but "worked for love" of family.

• Scott H Ogden, UT
    March 11, 2014 8:06 a.m.

Frozen's popularity goes beyond its clean nature, although, that certainly has something to do with the film's success. Frozen's writing, directing, animation, voice acting, and music are exceptional. Piles of less engaging but clean family friendly films have flopped. Audiences favor morally excellent films, but only when they also offer high entertainment quality.

Many of Hollywood's creative types are less interested in satisfying the masses than they are in creating content that satisfies their inner muse and that appeals to their Hollywood peers. They openly deride filmmakers that "pander to the masses." You can see what is in these people's hearts by the content they create.

• Hutterite American Fork, UT
    March 11, 2014 8:23 a.m.

Don't read it too deep. It's making somebody some money.

• CAGirl ,
    March 11, 2014 10:35 a.m.

I dislike being a damper on this "Frozen" conversation, but I did not like this movie. The talking snowman was ridiculous. Disney likes to throw in some buffoonery in most of its movies for children, and that got really tiresome. The "Let It Go" song leaves me cold. I simply don't understand its popularity. However, the animation was outstanding.

• iron&clay RIVERTON, UT
    March 11, 2014 10:41 a.m.

When will Wright and others get it that Hollywood's owners are trying to subvert the family as the basic unit of society and transform individuals into robots to the one big government "family" with a tyrannical dictator that owns and controls everything and everybody..
    Don't you get it?
    Without parents teaching their children Christian values, children will grow up with 'R rated' conditioning and will not behave themselves in society.

You see, without people voluntarily living God's laws, then of necessity everyone will agree that we have to give up our liberty and our Constitutionally protected individual rights to total government control in order to stop the chaos and anarchy of a society without a moral compass.

• JNA Layton, UT
    March 11, 2014 10:52 a.m.

I find it interesting that the one of the writers of the music for this show also wrote "The Book of Mormon, The Musical" I'm just sayin...

• james d. morrison Boise, CA
    March 11, 2014 10:58 a.m.

The only thing I didn't like about the movie was having the prince end up being a bad guy since it was a 180 degree flip from his earlier actions and seemed like a cop out so it would be easier for Anna to choose the other guy. And to CAGirl, the snowman was the best thing about the movie.

• Poppa Alan Fruit Heights, UT
    March 11, 2014 11:06 a.m.

Yeah my grandkids and I have been enjoying it for a couple of weeks now on Vudu. It is really a good movie. My two yr old grand daughter just loves it. She dances and sings 'Let it go' (just the three words over and over again!) all day. I love the movie.

• iron&clay RIVERTON, UT
    March 11, 2014 11:12 a.m.

To Mr. Jason Wright,

You are going to remain inside Hollywood's box of conundrum until you understand that Hollywood's owners are an elite group of Wall Street Bankers who make a percentage on all big government debt.
    Promoting chaos and anarchy within a Constitutional Republic serve's the purpose of bringing about the 'New World Order' of government control and ownership of everything and everybody.

Obamacare is just the beginning.

• gmlewis Houston, TX
    March 11, 2014 11:51 a.m.

How do Pres. Obama and conspiracy factor into a discussion of this wonderful movie? Maybe the only thing frozen will be our national assets when the runaway debt finally takes us to the tipping point.

• Schnee Salt Lake City, UT
    March 11, 2014 12:41 p.m.

I think there's one important detail missing here regarding what Hollywood will make. This is an animated movie. So we should be comparing that to the offerings of other animated movies rather than the offerings of live-action movies. Animated movies have their strength in getting kids to want to go. A live-action G or PG movie may have less natural appeal to kids than an animated one and an R rated animated movie... I honestly can't even think of an example. (Was the South Park movie in theatres and if it was was it R or PG-13?).

• Harrison Bergeron Holladay , UT
    March 11, 2014 12:53 p.m.

Spot on Jason. I would add that the music is exceptional. While the storyline has some defects, it's the music that is stuck inside your daughters' heads (and likely your wife's too).

Also, there is a refreshing absence of overt preaching of liberalism (i.e. multiculturalism, environmentalism, socialism, etc.) that has tainted so many films lately. I think people are tired of Hollywood trying to indoctrinate their kids.

• trueblue75 USA, NC
    March 11, 2014 1:30 p.m.

I feel the over-all goodness and message of the movie is well well well well worth support!!! The hit song bothers me a little because, to me, it encourages selfishness and lack of personal responsibility....But then on the other hand maybe we all go through stages like that...What really matters is she learns to do a better way...through her sister's example.

• AnnMarieinUtah Bountiful, UT
    March 11, 2014 1:46 p.m.

At least here in Utah the reason that Frozen has gotten so much attention is because someone had to project their own feelings onto the pure movie and make it out like it was all about promoting a gay agenda. It's truly sad that such a great movie has been dug down into the mud like that. I agree with the author's assessment, it's as pure as the white snow that's seen throughout. I loved the movie, it gives those with ANY kind of problems hope. If you're depressed, suicidal, have health problems, low self-esteem, or whatever it gives you a little happiness in a world filled with darkness. Disney did an amazing job with this, and I hope they have a sequel. We can't have too many GREAT/MORAL/UPSTANDING movies.
    BRAVO DISNEY!!!
    Sincerely,
    Ann Marie Blodgett

• nycut New York, NY
    March 11, 2014 1:51 p.m.

@iron&clay

Wait, a tyrannical authority is using social persuasion to brainwash innocent families to turn everone into R-rated Anarchists so the social chaos will make us join the One Big Family and give up our liberty and become robots?!! Oh no!

But the Moral Compass can save us! Hooray! If we'll all just be Christian, we won't have to give up our liberty! Whew.

(On a serious note, lots of people have fully operational "moral compasses," and they're not all stamped "made by Christianity.")

Otherwise, sounds like a pretty good movie musical.

• E Sam Provo, UT
    March 11, 2014 2:26 p.m.

It was a fun movie, good animation, interesting characters, a couple of great songs. There were lots of really good movies this year, some exploring darker subject matter. This doesn't need to lead to a cultural war.

• Mayfair City, Ut
    March 11, 2014 3:40 p.m.

JNA- I think the Book of Mormon musical connection you are thinking of is Olaf the Snowman, played by Josh Gad, who was in the NYC version.

He makes a much better snowman than he does an Elder.

• SLCMom Salt Lake City, UT
    March 11, 2014 3:42 p.m.

This is a great article and I think you're spot on, Mr. Wright. People get enough negativity, doom and gloom on the news. We want entertainment that is UPLIFTING and HAPPY! We want Family Friendly! My husband and I decided to go to The Lego Movie a couple days ago thinking it had been out long enough for all the crowds to have waned. We were pretty shocked when we showed up to a full house! And, it seemed there were many more teens and adults in the audience than young children. I've read several articles lately pointing out many movies on the horizon with religious and/or family-friendly themes. I'm hopeful that Hollywood is starting to catch on. Frozen has reinforced the huge potential to be Cash-Cows. And Hollywood is all about money. So, I hope the trend continues. The best way we can get more of these kind of movies is to financially support them while they are at the box office (not just wait to watch them on Redbox or Netflix).

• Schnee Salt Lake City, UT
    March 11, 2014 6:38 p.m.

@Mayfair
    Robert Lopez got an Oscar for Let It Go from Frozen and a Tony for Best Original Score in The Book of Mormon.

• BYU_Convert Provo, UT
    March 11, 2014 6:47 p.m.

My wife and I look forward to watching this movie.

• jaredw007 Salt Lake City, UT
    March 11, 2014 7:46 p.m.

There's a famous saying in Hollywood: "Timing is everything." Had Frozen been released a year ago or last summer would it have done as well? Maybe, but I have my doubts.

When you look at 2013 in general, it was kind of a disappointing year for family friendly movies. You had Monster's University, Oz The Great and Powerful and The Croods being the only other family movies to crack the top 15 in box office numbers for the whole year. With the holiday season rolling around, moviegoers were desperate to find a good family movie. Although Frozen had been well reviewed by critics, it had been strangely undersold by Disney (I mean did anyone know there songs in this movie when the first trailer came out?)

A combination of positive word of mouth and deep nostalgia for animated musicals (kids who saw Aladdin, Beauty and the Beast and Lion King have kids of their own now) and great timing by Disney to release the movie right smack in the middle of the holiday season made for the perfect storm for a huge hit. Having Disney's name on the movie I'm sure helped a lot too.

• milojthatch Sandy, UT
    March 11, 2014 9:00 p.m.

Not that I want to put a damper here (I actually did like the film), but I just don't feel that "Frozen" is as good as the hype. Frankly, "Tangled" was a better film and it didn't get near as much hype as "Frozen" has. Heck, "Monster's University" was a better film. Oh well, at least people are excited about family entertainment.

• slcman SALT LAKE CITY, UT
    March 11, 2014 9:20 p.m.

A movie can receive an R rating for two reasons. It might have sex, violence, or profanity purely for entertainment purposes. However, there's another kind of R rated film that might simply contain content that is appropriate for adults but not for children. Movies like The Passion of the Christ, Saving Private Ryan, and Schindlers List fall into this second category.

Thinking adults should know the difference. I would never let my eight year old son see Saving Private Ryan but I will insist that he watch it at 16.

• Llew40 Sandy, UT
    March 12, 2014 11:02 a.m.

I left the theater troubled by the subtle anti-family message. Notice there was no wedding at the end. Elsa remained "frozen" in her femininity without a man to validate her while poor Anna had no one who really loved her. Is that the kind of message we want our daughters to learn, that all men can't be trusted and happily ever after only comes to the strong, single, independent woman? It's a lonely life. Just ask Elsa.

• Schnee Salt Lake City, UT
    March 12, 2014 2:56 p.m.

@Llew40
    "I left the theater troubled by the subtle anti-family message."

In a movie where they broke with conventional norm and made family the source of true love?

"Elsa remained "frozen" in her femininity without a man to validate her"

You suggesting that women need a man to validate them is not the message I'd want any daughters to learn.

"that all men can't be trusted"

The other guy seems pretty trustworthy...

"happily ever after only comes to the strong, single, independent woman?"

They both had happy endings and one of them is clearly starting a relationship with a man.

• Wally West SLC, UT
    March 12, 2014 3:39 p.m.

to nycut

Agreed. Why do I have the feeling that i & c thinks that 1 big 'church' family would be okay?

I'd love for the new world order (Hogan, Hall, & Nash) to be calling the shots; it can't be as bad as the ivy leaguers currently running wild in NYC and DC, brother!

• TheProudDuck Newport Beach, CA
    March 12, 2014 3:48 p.m.

Maybe I'm an odd duck, but I thought the writing, plotting and pacing of "Frozen" was a little clunky and disjointed.

It had some great moments, but it just seemed choppy. Lasseter's getting sloppy.

• Brent T. Aurora CO Aurora, CO
    March 12, 2014 10:05 p.m.

Just amazed so many people keep going to see movies in theaters instead of waiting for the DVD to come out -- to the tune of so much money. What is the appeal? Love watching movies at home with its superior perks, flexible scheduling and great price.

So yes, looking forward to seeing this movie when I can get my free copy checked out of my local public library.

• Yorkshire City, Ut
    March 14, 2014 6:05 a.m.

some of the subtle lyrics:

It’s time to see what I can do
    To test the limits and break through
    No right, no wrong, no rules for me

• Christmas Carole LAS CRUCES, NM
    March 14, 2014 9:33 a.m.

From an article responding to criticism about "Frozen" in "Movieguide" today(March 14, 2014)...

BY TOM SNYDER AND TED BAEHR WITH ROBBY BAEHR AND BEN KAYSER

Here are two quotes seemingly contradicting each other in my opinion...

"One must question, then, the agenda of the Huffington Post to cite this one pastor as representing all of Christianity."

"As for the “Well-Behaved Mormon Woman,” well the Mormon Church is a Non-Christian cult that promotes many aberrant, heretical teachings. Mormonism teaches a form of works righteousness. This theology contradicts the biblical teaching that we are saved by God’s grace through faith in the sacrificial love that Jesus displayed when He died on the Cross."

I will respond that with some research, from those who know what the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints is really about, you all will be able to make a more educated, less narrow-minded, and less bigoted article.

I have NOT seen the movie, although I will watch it more closely now...

• Eliyahu Pleasant Grove, UT
    March 15, 2014 4:24 p.m.

I think that Disney raised the bar for animators quite a bit with this one, especially in 3D.

For the people who have the notion that this movie was promoting some sort of agenda, all I can say is this: when you watch a movie, you'll just about always find what you're searching for. It tells us a lot more about you than about Disney.

• netsrik Draper, UT
    March 25, 2014 11:45 a.m.

I thought this was a wonderful film! And I can't get enough of "Let It Go". Great message for girls. I also loved the fact that a different kind of 'true love' saved the day. It wasn't a man rushing in, (though Kristoff was coming)it was family.
    Now excuse me while I go listen to "Let It Go" another 100 times or so. :)