Faith

Mormon Tabernacle Choir announces rare, upcoming performance

Comments

• dalefarr South Jordan, Utah
    March 10, 2014 4:21 p.m.

On this most important of all Christian holidays, it nice to see the LDS choir participating in the Easter celebration.

• Palmetto Bug Columbia, SC
    March 10, 2014 5:35 p.m.

I'm glad the choir is putting on this performance. I wish the Church placed more emphasis on Easter, it being the most important holiday in Christendom. A step in the right direction.

• sammyg Springville, UT
    March 10, 2014 5:45 p.m.

This gives me goose bumps just thinking about it!

Definitely an event of epic proportions! I hope I can get a couple of tickets, if not I will tune in if available.

• Moracle Blackshear, GA
    March 10, 2014 6:29 p.m.

Please arrange to have this broadcast nationally, so we can share it with our friends and not just watch it over the internet on BYU-TV. (Will it be broadcast over BYU TV?)

• Allen C Christensen American Fork, UT
    March 10, 2014 8:58 p.m.

In reality, Easter is remembered each week at sacrament meeting with the offering of the sacramental prayers and the serving of the emblems of the Lord's atoning sacrifice. Admittedly, in our hurried world we may not pause with reverence sufficient to make that connection. Some verses of the most sublime sacramental hymns are frequently not sung. Consider these lines from verse five of Eliza R. Snow's "Behold, the Great Redeemer Die"
    He died, and at the awful sight
    The sun in shame withdrew its light!
    Earth trembled, and all nature sighed
    In dread response, "A God has died!"
    Clearly, I am pleased that Tabernacle Choir will sing the Messiah at Easter. That concert should remind us to an even greater degree that the atoning sacrifice and resurrection is central to the theology of all Christians.

• kiaoraguy Provo, UT
    March 10, 2014 10:19 p.m.

I might just crawl upon broken glass for the chance to hear the choir perform the entire Messiah live...one of the potential cultural experiences of a lifetime....

• waikiki_dave Honolulu, HI
    March 10, 2014 11:46 p.m.

I have the copy of the Choir's Messiah performance from the 1960s on my iPod and I listen to it frequently. It is very inspiring and I love the music.

• Jamescmeyer Midwest City, USA, OK
    March 11, 2014 7:35 a.m.

I appreciate Allen's insight into celebrating Easter weekly. With all due respect for Christmas and the joy associated with it, Easter actually seems like the more significant holiday; that Jesus was born is a given, it's not arguable. That He performed the Atonement and was ressurrected is where it all really hinges.

So significant, in fact, that I guess we -do- celebrate it to a small degree every single week. It'd be too much to squeeze into one single day.

• eastcoastcoug Danbury, CT
    March 11, 2014 7:40 a.m.

Please broadcast it and consider getting it on Public TV. We all want to see it!

And D-News: keep us informed on whether this is broadcast. I agree with the above posters that this is something that should be shared outside SLC!!

• 1covey Salt Lake City, UT
    March 11, 2014 7:42 a.m.

I ho[pe they use the Schirmer edition as they did when they recorded Messiah with Ormandy and the Philadelphia Philharmonic. The last recording with RPO or LPO (I forget which) did not, and was, in my opinion, anemic, since the scoring used less instrumentation, notably brass. Too much strings.

• Rustymommy Clovis, NM
    March 11, 2014 7:58 a.m.

This is fabulous, a classic idea. I hope to post the vido on FB for my friends. My area does not have BYU-TV. So sad. But hopefully the internet makes it possible for me to see the concert "live".

• PMark Tomball, TX
    March 11, 2014 8:06 a.m.

I echo the comments made by others. Please, please, please, please, PLEASE broadcast this over ByuTV so the rest of the world can hear it.

• CynicJim Taylorsville, UT
    March 11, 2014 8:30 a.m.

The choir recorded The Messiah with the Philadelphia Orchesrta in the late 60s or early 70s, but it will be the first for the Orchestra on Temple Square and the Chior.

• donquixote84721 Cedar City, UT
    March 11, 2014 8:41 a.m.

One Christmas, several years ago, my wife and I attended the concert, at the Tabernacle. It was a great performance, I was disappointed at the end, when they had not preformed Hollowou Course Handel's "messiah," but they redeemed themselves by doing it is an encore. While this is appropriate for both Christmas and Easter, hearing it preformed was like hearing the best Christmas Carol, preformed by the best Choir, and the best place. Those not familiar with the construction of the Tabernacle, should see the following, as the Tabernacle has amazing acoustics. Do a search, on wiki, for Salt Lake Tabernacle, as this form will not allow me to place a link.

• dev Provo, UT
    March 11, 2014 10:12 a.m.

You can get a sneak preview of this concert by listening to the new mini-album just released by the Choir. It is a collection of Easter music called He is Risen and is available for download from iTunes and Deseret Book. The final track is a new recording of Worthy is the Lamb/Amen chorus, which will give you a taste of what Dr. Wilburg has in store for this Messiah performance. The album will also be available on CD in a few weeks' time.

• Dutchman Murray, UT
    March 11, 2014 10:54 a.m.

Would have loved to have had a chance at tickets but I just got off the website and the tickets are all gone. They did not distribute the tickets by registration and then random selection this time like they do for the Christmas Concerts. It was first come first serve. I am very disappointed. This would have been a great experience.

• weakstuffout West Jordan, UT
    March 11, 2014 11:26 a.m.

I was in within the first 10 minutes and no seats were available, 4, 3, 2, 1. I tried multiple times, refreshing, getting out of the browser, etc. I don't know who the first 10,000 people were in the first 5 minutes, but consider yourselves blessed.

• DMJ Newbury Park, CA
    March 11, 2014 11:30 a.m.

One more voice crying from the wilderness, outside of the Zion Curtain. PLEASE BROADCAST IT!

• Dutchman Murray, UT
    March 11, 2014 11:42 a.m.

The Oratorio Society of Utah used to perform Messiah every year at Christmas time in the Salt Lake Tabernacle. The Society had a 300 member chorus and a small orchestra made up of Utah Symphony muscians. They would also bring in world renown soloists and a guest conductor. The performances always filled the Tabernacle and were fantastic. One year in the early '70's the performance was taped and broadcast on PBS. It had a reputation as being one of the best in the nation. I remember as a small boy my mother taking me to performances on Sunday afternoon. Later, the performances were moved to Friday and Saturday nights always around Christmas time. Then, for some reason, the Society was no longer granted use of the Tabernacle. The Society still puts on a performance of Messiah every Christmas but it is hardly noticed on the local scene anymore. I still attend these performances but the ones from yesteryear were truly marvelous.

• Paddycakes South Jordan, UT
    March 11, 2014 1:02 p.m.

Strange that the 'big deal' with Jesus Christ is Christmas because everyone gets presents; however, the biggest present of all was not the birth of Christ but his death, which we celebrate as Easter. It was that cataclysmic event that enabled our eternal salvation from sin, in which we deserve death, but our Lord took our place, now like Him, we have eternal life when in fact we deserved eternal death. Although grateful for his first coming, it is His death that enriches our lives, pardons our transgression and with Him, give eternal life. 'It is in pardoning that we are pardoned; and it is in dying that we are born to eternal life.' For this, we should fall to our knees.

• portlander Arlington, WA
    March 11, 2014 3:39 p.m.

I sure hope that it is straight-up "Handel's Messiah", without alot of "tinkering" that the Choir and Orchestra have become famous for, in the last decade or so.

Too many "embellishments" spoil what could be the height of overwhelming inspiration and awe.

I sometimes feel like shouting that "emperor hath no clothes" when others exclaim that an "over-worked" arrangement is the best they've ever witnessed! Sure, I understand the work that goes into such an undertaking, but sometimes it is just best to the leave the arrangement alone, and to do the best job ever at performing it.

I pray that it is so with this concert.

• sammyg Springville, UT
    March 11, 2014 6:04 p.m.

Got my tickets!

I didn't read the article closely and discovered later that this is to be performed in the Tabernacle. Well I suppose those 2 hard seats will have to do! Lucky I thought to 'register' at 10am. Sorry for those that thought this was the usual 'lottery'.

I do hope that the decision to broadcast one of the performances is considered!

• Lindy-Lou San Antonio, TX
    March 12, 2014 5:43 a.m.

Comments about the Church not emphasizing Easter enough: I agree. I'm always a little sad that on Easter Sundays, tho sometimes the SM talks are about Easter, RS and SS lessons generally are not. And Palm Sunday? NEVER a mention. We want the world to know how Christian we are, but non-member visitors to our meetings might wonder -- especially on this most-important celebration of the Savior's life. Just has always seemed odd to me . . .

• Pitt Man New York City, NY
    March 12, 2014 9:27 a.m.

@portlander-

What "tinkering" are you referring to? Just new arrangements of hymns? Would you prefer they just sing straight from the hymn book? Don't worry, Mack Wilberg is not going to re-arrange Messiah.

• uncommonsense CENTERVILLE, UT
    March 12, 2014 9:53 a.m.

@ portlander and Pitt Man

Which "straight" arrangement are you talking about? Handel performed with a small orchestra and small chorus. There have been several arrangements since. I believe you are talking more about embellishments than arrangements. It's obvious that there will have to be some arranging done to accomodate the full choir and large orchestra that makes up MoTab and the Orchestra on Temple Square. I have no doubt everyone will come away fully swayed by the performance.
    The old recording by MoTab was slow. Robert Shaw did a much better job in the 70's. I am looking forward to a great performance.

• antodav TAMPA, FL
    March 13, 2014 5:09 p.m.

That song makes much more sense to be performed at Easter than at Christmas anyway.

• Rustymommy Clovis, NM
    March 13, 2014 10:30 p.m.

Not enough tickets to go around. =(