Catching up: Old friends Andre Miller, Alex Jensen reflect on their time at Utah under coach Rick Majerus

Comments

• Elcapitan Ivins, UT
    March 7, 2014 12:12 a.m.

Speaking of Majeras, he despised bad basketball effort.We could have used his spirit at last nights game. He seemed to get the best out of his players. We have a coaching problem in the Jazz Organization.

• JD Las Vegas, NV
    March 7, 2014 12:12 a.m.

I will never forgive the player who made up lies about Majerus. Players were interviewed and nobody supported the player who lied. Yet, in the media, the press is unforgiving and it was easy to cast stones at big Rick. The player who made up lies should be called out for his behavior and set the record straight. RIP Coach Majerus, you were simply the best!

• xert Santa Monica, CA
    March 7, 2014 8:57 a.m.

Other than a former center who was a little bit soft and a whole lot self promoting and a few reporters who threw hissy fits because Majerus did not respect their talents, I never heard a bad word from any ball player except to say that Coach could come down hard. Wow. Like we don't need any people like that in our lives. Young people will always have adults who crave their friendship and want them to join the "everybody loves everybody club." A few grown men who call you on your efforts in a no nonsense way might possibly be viewed as a good thing.

• Koula Salt Lake City, UT
    March 7, 2014 9:16 a.m.

What a wonderful stroll down memory row. I'll cherish the memories of the Utah coaching days of Rick Majerus. Alex and Andre are top notch people. Rick allowed me and a colleague to attend a practice and interview him about always being a learner and learning never stops if you're good at what you do. Sure do miss Coach Majerus.

• Ernest T. Bass Bountiful, UT
    March 7, 2014 10:56 a.m.

LOVE Andre Miller!

• concretebo Sandy, UT
    March 7, 2014 11:17 a.m.

I absolutely Loved that Ute Basketball team , Man they were a Great Team !!! Great story !!

• Magna Ute Fan Magna, UT
    March 7, 2014 2:04 p.m.

Those were the days. I had 7th row season tickets in the Ute Fan Club (The precursor to the MUSS)one year to watch those two play. It was awesome!

Thanks for the memories Andre and Alex.

• AllSeeingEye Salt Lake City, UT
    March 7, 2014 3:17 p.m.

Who could ever forget the Ambush in Anaheim? The Lute Olsen interview after the game? Triangle-and-Two?

Al Jensen and 'Dre Miller-two for the ages!

Thanks! Fun article!

• PAC12Fan South Jordan, UT
    March 7, 2014 6:16 p.m.

I am loving the upswing in talent and excitement on the hill. I really enjoyed the Majerus days. Majerus was not saint. Two of the players worked for me in the summers. They told me some great, unbelievable stories about Majerus. I haven't repeated them out of respect for the two players that I got to know.

Good article.

• rvalens2 Burley, ID
    March 7, 2014 10:42 p.m.

@Jody Genessy

Here is what I'll always remember about Rick Majerus.

"Oaf-fense"

Wearing a sweater, instead of a coat and tie at games.

Residing at a hotel the whole time he was Utah's coach.

Swinging his right arm down in disgust at bad calls made by referees.

Spending most of a day consoling Keith Van Horn after the passing of his father.

No matter where he went with his teams (in the U.S.) he always seemed to know the best places to eat.

The fact that he could actually jump (a foot and a half off the ground) which we all saw on television during the WAC tournament.

Rick always giving credit for the wins to his players, but never blaming them for the losses. He only blamed himself.

The "Triangle and Two defense" which he called a gimmick, but thought would work against Arizona.

Bill Marcroft telling Rick during the NCAA playoff run to the championship game, that in the future, Ute fans would look back at the season and never forget it. Bill was right. We haven't forgotten.

I miss Rick Majerus. I sure wish he was around to coach the Jazz.

• Rational Salt Lake City, UT
    March 8, 2014 8:50 a.m.

Andre Miller -- best Ute ever.