Utah

Clear air proponents rally around bill proposing transit tax

Comments

• Alfred Phoenix, AZ
    March 5, 2014 5:04 p.m.

Utah doesn't need anymore taxes.

• stuff Provo, UT
    March 5, 2014 5:24 p.m.

Mass transit is a joke. Just today, a co-worker of mine said that he's been taking the bus since his car broke down. It takes over an hour to go one-way. When he drove, it took about 15 minutes. That results in over a 90-minute difference in his day. That's just wrong.

• SS MiddleofNowhere, Utah
    March 5, 2014 5:27 p.m.

How about it be a county tax instead of a Utah tax. I don't need to pay taxes to improve Salt Lake City's public transportation and air. I live in a place where the air is clean and mass public transportation isn't feasible or effective.

• Fitness Freak Salt Lake City, UT
    March 5, 2014 5:32 p.m.

I would lobby long and hard AGAINST any tax increase that involves shoveling more money to UTA. All they would do with it is raise the bosses' salaries - again.

Unless/until UTA decides to start using the hundreds of millions we already give them in a more productive way we SHOULDN'T give them any more. It would be a waste of money.

As far as "the chamber" is concerned - they're ALWAYS in favor of a tax increase - unless its' a tax on their members' businesses.

• SME Bountiful, UT
    March 6, 2014 11:26 a.m.

"The analysis shows that an increase in transit funding across the entire service area would boost ridership by 53 percent and double the amount of van pools."

I would like to know how the "analysis" arrived at these numbers, and I would really like to results compared with the predictions. I bet that reality will not match the predictions, and that some weasel explaination will be offered as to why.

• TRUTH Salt Lake City, UT
    March 6, 2014 3:57 p.m.

Lefties always default to tax increases to solve problems......the day they propose a tax decrease is the day I will take them seriously! No one is going to ride a bike to work in January! Especially not enough to make a dent in the air quality........the air is no different today in Utah in January than it was 50 years ago!