Utah

Family of BYU student hit by car say they are witnessing a miracle

Comments

• Uncle Rico Sandy, UT
    March 4, 2014 8:49 p.m.

What an Awesome story!

• Dennis Harwich, MA
    March 5, 2014 5:19 a.m.

Modern medicine and those that save our lives every day are astounding.

• A_Chinese_American Cedar Hills, UT
    March 5, 2014 7:28 a.m.

I love this awesome story. Pray for Lexi’s 100% recovery.

• Cleetorn Fuaamotu, Tonga
    March 5, 2014 7:44 a.m.

Modern medicine is a wonderful thing but it pales to the power of the Greatest Healer - without whose help this would have been all but impossible - of time and all eternity.

• The Rock Federal Way, WA
    March 5, 2014 7:57 a.m.

Modern medicine is amazing but I think the doctors and nurses would tell you that her Physician is out of this world.

This recovery is beyond our medical technology and skills.

• Cleetorn Fuaamotu, Tonga
    March 5, 2014 7:59 a.m.

Blue, for you, this may be a "theological challenge that will not go away with prayer." However, just because you don't understand it does not mean that it cannot be understood. Why Heavenly Father chooses one fate for one and another for someone else is entirely up to Him. It’s not necessarily our responsibility to understand.

It is the same with you. Just because someone else might not understand why you make some of the choices you do, it doesn’t mean they are incomprehensible. And it may not be important to you to make sure that EVERYONE understands your reasoning. Besides that, for most, it’s none of their business anyway.

If you really want to understand why God does the things He does, ask Him. If He feels it’s important for you to know, I have no doubts He will tell you.

• Doogie South Jordan, Utah
    March 5, 2014 8:10 a.m.

Blue I just had to respond to you post. It is my daughter who you are talking about and although there are many others who have sickness in the world God does have a direct impact on our lives. We have a multiply disabled daughter who is Lexi's older sister. At the time she was born and was diagnosed with all her maladies we prayed, fasted and gave priesthood blessings to her as well. The same thing did not occur for her that has happened to Lexi, but you know what? We are ok with that because we know that God has a plan for everyone. We struggled with her disabilities and continue to do so but she has been a light and influence for good in the situation and life she has been given. We all have the opportunity to have divine intervention, it might just not be the way we would have chosen to play out and sometimes we ignore what we can not accept. There is a God and he loves each one of us and He can have a direct effect on each of our lives if we let Him.

• Blue Salt Lake City, UT
    March 5, 2014 8:31 a.m.

Cleetorn, when people begin miraculously regrowing amputated limbs lost through tragic accidents _then_ we can talk about the possibility of divine intervention in human bodies. Thus far your God seems to reserve his miracles exclusively for medical conditions for which natural recovery is possible.

But this is a story about Lexi. Speedy recovery to her.

• pleblian salt lake city, utah
    March 5, 2014 8:35 a.m.

Blue,

When you or I pretend you know better than another, we suffer the greater ignorance. The existence of a "god", in what form and for what meaning is deeply personal and logically not disprovable.

We know there are forces, matter and energy in this universe that we don't comprehend. Why cannot a greater being, a God, comprehend and use them? And what keeps that God from having a relationship with us?

I am so pleased to hear of this young woman's recovery. I wish the best to her family, who suffers for her.

• John Marx Layton, UT
    March 5, 2014 9:41 a.m.

pleblian wrote,
    "Science tells us we see less than 5% of lights spectrum, yet an atheist pretends that is enough to evaluate everything."

Scientists and engineers have created tools that allow us to "see" much of the spectrum. Such as Radio telescopes. Also you appear to be engaging in a straw man against atheists. I don't think there are many, if any, atheists who claim to be able to "evaluate everything."

• Owl Salt Lake City, UT
    March 5, 2014 10:15 a.m.

Casting doubt on the faith and power of God in Lexi's life is both mean spirited and inappropriate. Medical science thought she would not recover and they have been wrong thus far. Science changes and is not immutable, faith is constant. This accident should not be a forum for those who want to disparage faith. Good scientists would only observe and record, but not draw what are clearly preconceived conclusions.

• SoCal Andy Casa Conejo, CA
    March 5, 2014 10:34 a.m.

I choose to recognize the Lord's hand whenever possible. I will pray for Lexi.

"...it is by faith that miracles are wrought; and it is by faith that angels appear and minister unto men; wherefore, if these things have ceased wo be unto the children of men, for it is because of unbelief, and all is vain." Moroni 7:37

• John Marx Layton, UT
    March 5, 2014 10:41 a.m.

Owl,you wrote:
    "Medical science thought she would not recover and they have been wrong thus far."

The article states,

"When they brought her in, the doctors gave her less than a 5 percent chance of survival,"

They said her recovery was improbable, and she by all appearances is making an improbable recovery. If I say that something has a 5% chance of occurring, and then it happens, does that mean that I was wrong? How so?

You also wrote:

"Science changes and is not immutable, faith is constant."

Science changes with the available evidence. That is not a weakness, it is a strength. Also the fact a certain belief is constant is not inherently a strength or positive. Unless it just happens to be correct from day one I suppose.

I do agree; however, that this is probably not the correct venue for this discussion. and perhaps her recovery is a result of some divine intervention. I don't claim to know one way or the other.

• pleblian salt lake city, utah
    March 5, 2014 10:56 a.m.

Marx,

She is healing. It is amazing. Her family doubled down on their own faith, and they are pleased with the result. Yet some are offended or wish to discount that? I find that to be presumptuous on both an intellectual level, and lacking compassion on a humane one. As she improves, she still may suffer disability or die. The beauty is what she and her family make of it; their belief is robust, the strength of which carries them through the day. Who can doubt this for them? Or attempt to do so? More sinister still, why?

Engineers create tools allowing us to "see" much of the visible spectrum. In so doing, they have introduced new spectrums, dimensions and types of matter which, at this point, we cannot "see" at all, but only know are there based on unseen interactions on a subatomic particular level.

• Chris Degn Salt Lake City, UT
    March 5, 2014 10:56 a.m.

Great story! Keep fighting, young lady!

Adding my prayers to yours!

• Doogie South Jordan, Utah
    March 5, 2014 11:05 a.m.

John Marx

All I know that we were told that Lexi had sheering in her brain which means that many of the nerve ending associated with the brain had been broken off or torn. When they brought her in the ambulance and tested brain activity all they got was the same type of response that you might get the chair you are sitting in. Based on that preliminary evaluation they made their diagnosis of no hope for her. You can explain away or deny anything you would like, but for me and my family, we have witnessed a miracle that she is alive and that she is actually and will make a recovery. Our God is a God of miracles and if we have faith they can happen in everyone's lives.

• vangroovin West Jordan, UT
    March 5, 2014 11:22 a.m.

@ Blue:
    God works in mysterious ways. His purposes are real & everlasting. He knows what is best for us individually & collectively to help us remember Him & come unto Jesus Christ. He loves us. Sometimes we don't understand why things happen, but I am a firm believer that things happen for a reason. If we exercise faith in God & in Jesus Christ, our eyes of understanding of those purposes will unfold. This life wasn't meant to be an easy journey. Trails are placed before us daily to see what we are made of and to see whether we will turn to God and learn the lessons we need to learn to achieve the full measure of our creation. If we choose to be critical of God because something doesn't go our way, then we need to earnestly seek to know why God had us experience that trial. It may not be known for a long time, but God knows what we need to learn to become like him. I've experienced hard things in life, but I wouldn't trade the lessons I've learned for anything - I know those lessons came from God.

• SlopJ30 St Louis, MO
    March 5, 2014 11:34 a.m.

Glad she's improving, whether it's due to the LDS version of God, Allah, Vishnu, blind luck, excellent medical care, Gandalf the wizard or "the power of love." And the family will have an ready-made story to insert into sacrament meeting talks for the rest of their lives.

• Redshirt1701 Deep Space 9, Ut
    March 5, 2014 11:50 a.m.

To "Blue" this is not a question of worthiness or unworthiness to receive a miracle. Miracles depend on 2 things. First is faith in God. Second, is how the miracle fits into God's plan for the earth. How do you know that the girl dying from leukemia won't inspire a certain group to have greater faith in God? At the sime time, healing this girl may also increase the faith in others. It is only arrogancy in man when we start to look for way to control God, and to determine why some people receive miracles and others don't.

• John Marx Layton, UT
    March 5, 2014 11:57 a.m.

plebian, you wrote:
    "Thus, my point creates no straw man against atheists. An Atheist proclaims their faithful anti-religious opinion in things they believe to be untrue, but cannot prove to be untrue. In so doing, the atheist "evaluates everything" or pretends to evaluate everything regarding God, denying God's existence."

This is a common misunderstanding of the word atheist. The definition of an Atheist is: "a person who disbelieves or lacks belief in the existence of God or gods." To disbelieve an assertion, you don't have to be able to prove that the assertion is false. It can be that you are simply not persuaded by the evidence for the assertion.

• Chilanga Larkspur, CO
    March 5, 2014 11:57 a.m.

Ten years ago, my niece was at BYU when she was in a terrible car accident. She was in a coma for 3 weeks and the prognosis was very grim--major brain damage and a lifetime of living in a vegetative state. She was 20 and her brain was young. We think that helped her to heal more quickly. We also prayed and fasted for her and trusted in whatever outcome the Lord had in store for her. She came out of her coma, and eventually, through the wonderful efforts of staff at her rehab facility and her family, she recovered, and today she walks, runs, and recently finished her bachelor's and master's degrees. She's married and has a little baby. She is perfectly healthy and normal in all ways. The doctors can not explain it. I don't know why some are given the answers to prayers that they seek, and others are given different answers. But I do know that we're all loved children of God. Perhaps we should pray for the wisdom and strength to know and accept the Lord's will, whatever that may be. Blessings to this dear girl and her family.

• John Marx Layton, UT
    March 5, 2014 12:12 p.m.

Doogie, you wrote:
    "All I know that we were told that Lexi had sheering in her brain which means that many of the nerve ending associated with the brain had been broken off or torn. When they brought her in the ambulance and tested brain activity all they got was the same type of response that you might get the chair you are sitting in. Based on that preliminary evaluation they made their diagnosis of no hope for her."

I was going by the article which said less than 5% chance. If indeed she was given no hope, than it appears "medical science" did get it wrong.

"You can explain away or deny anything you would like, but for me and my family, we have witnessed a miracle that she is alive and that she is actually and will make a recovery. Our God is a God of miracles and if we have faith they can happen in everyone's lives."

For the record, I said that I didn't know whether her recovery was miraculous or not. I was going with the 5% number given, which means 1 out of 20 people will recover. And statistically speaking, someone has to beat the odds.

• mattmo Gallatin, MO
    March 5, 2014 12:21 p.m.

I really loved and was inspired by this story thanks for sharing I do believe God works marvelous ways that we can not explain but, it is all natural to him and he knows what is needed in every situation because he sees the big picture and we only see the here and now. So you know when we get to the other side we may then understand why things happened, why some were spared and others were taken. Until that day just believe and have faith that there is a God and he does know who we are.

Thanks again for sharing your story.

• Flashback Kearns, UT
    March 5, 2014 12:35 p.m.

Blue give it a rest. I've seen people get healed through the laying on of hands. No medical intervention. While I have yet to see a limb re-grow, I've seen many other miracle type things in my life.

So, just because you don't believe in God, doesn't mean that he doesn't exist and is active in everyone's life but yours.

• SundanceKid27 OREM, UT
    March 5, 2014 12:54 p.m.

I live on a hill in Provo and I am surprised that this doesn't happen more often. There is an increasing amount of riders over the past years and it seems that everyone isn't has experienced as they should be. I am just not surprised by accidents like this.

• WRK Riverton, UT
    March 5, 2014 12:59 p.m.

@Blue
    Having had a 23 year old daughter pass away even after many prayers and fasting, I do not look at that as God turning his back on me, but rather God having another path for my daughter to follow. Lexi's path is still here and my daughter's path is with those on the other side. We are very short sighted if we think that we always should have our way. God's way is the best and life does go on after this. That is where those who pass on are now. I in no way feel slighted because my daughter is there and not here.
    I miss her, but I know God's will was done.
    I hope this helps you to understand.

• JoeCapitalist2 Orem, UT
    March 5, 2014 1:05 p.m.

I think the "Atheist" and "visible light spectrum" analogy is saying that for the atheist, only those waves that he can see with the naked eye are real. He completely discounts the possibility that there are other electromagnetic waves (i.e. spiritual things) outside what he can see unaided. When someone with night-vision goggles says, "No, I can see you even in the dark", he refuses to believe that and will not see for himself by trying on the goggles.

Spiritual things are open and available to anyone who earnestly seeks them. Nothing truely exists for a person until they experience it. God, faith, miracles, and other spiritual truths are waiting for an invitation into every person's life. "Ask and ye shall receive, knock and it shall be opened unto you".

• Susan California Rohnert Park, CA
    March 5, 2014 2:57 p.m.

"Changing bodies or protecting temples are miracles, but an even greater miracle is a mighty change of heart by a son or daughter of God (see Mosiah 5:2). A change of heart, including new attitudes, priorities, and desires, is greater and more important than any miracle involving the body. I repeat, the body will be resurrected in any event, but a change affecting what the scripture calls the “heart” of a spirit son or daughter of God is a change whose effect is eternal." From a talk by Dallin H. Oaks, given at a Church Educational System fireside in Calgary, Alberta, Canada, on 7 May 2000. Reprinted in the
    Ensign, June 2001, "Miracles."

• eastcoastcoug Danbury, CT
    March 5, 2014 3:35 p.m.

I'm just sitting here trying to picture what Lexi's family is going through and trying to fathom what some of you posters who want to ridicule their faith are thinking (or not). If you don't have faith, why do you feel it is helpful or important to put down what you (and I) don't understand? Lexi's dad tells us he has another daughter with severe disabilities so it's not like they don't understand that such things may not happen to everyone.

I just don't get why some of you can't celebrate that this young woman is still alive, without thinking about how this reflects on or impacts you and your life experience. Get over yourselves, people and just be happy for someone that is experiencing a moment of joy.

• headplate Salt Lake City, UT
    March 5, 2014 3:53 p.m.

Perhaps its as significant of a miracle to not loose faith nor deny God when a loved one is unexpectedly and tragically taken as when life is preserved. At this time I'm sure there is a family in Richfield that would have been greatful for divine intervention in the death of their missionary son. But maybe the greater miracle is that this family continues to put its faith in God in spite of their loss. I remember a few years ago another missionary was tragicially killed while serving. His mother was quoted as saying something I will never forget, "we are a family that is grieving right now but we are not a family in a crises."

• CWEB Orem, UT
    March 5, 2014 4:01 p.m.

Wow...for the doubters...I hope you feel different when you are on "your" way to meet the Creator. But if not, you will be won over by the amazing love you "will" experience at that time. Doubting Thomas was no different. Until he saw, he believed not. But the Lord loved him, and said, blessed are they who see and believe. How much more blessed are they who do not see, and believe. I hope, I expect, I believe.

Prayers offered for Lexie from my seat in the audience! She is a witness to God's love and miracles. I love her Mother's note. Wonderful! What a great family.

• Gosh-DUH Burlington, CT
    March 5, 2014 4:29 p.m.

Hope Lexi continues her recovery. At 6:30 pm, did dusk or poor lighting conditions contribute to the accident? Was Lexi wearing a helmet or reflective clothing or gear? Thanks be to modern medicine, physicians and others who are contributing to her chances for a recovery.

From the article: Just before 6:30 p.m. on Feb. 26, Lexi was riding her longboard while crossing the street in a crosswalk at the intersection of University Avenue and Canyon Road when the accident occurred.

• kaysvillecougar KAYSVILLE, UT
    March 5, 2014 6:22 p.m.

To Lexi's Dad and family. We are happy for your miracles and surely the many others that will come that may not be so dramatic. Thankyou for your faith. The thing I hate about the internet it the insensitive, self absorbed comments by some shrouded in anonymity. What an amazing lack of sensitivity to you 4 or 5 who felt obligated to ridicule.

• Hey It's Me Salt Lake City, UT
    March 5, 2014 7:10 p.m.

We can argue God all day long, but let's get back to Lexi and at least show some respect to her family for their beliefs. (Instead of dogging them for what they believe. You can't prove that God didn't intervene and they can't prove that he did. Let's keep praying for this beautiful young lady and respect her parents and their beliefs.

• justinbl Portland, OR
    March 6, 2014 8:55 a.m.

I was very touched how the family has treated the driver. I can't imagine how much he is suffering. I am sure Lexi's recovery is also a great comfort to him.

This truly is a miracle. I lost a sister when I was 20 and she was 22, which was very difficult. However, I know that it was her time to go. God does have a plan for each of us and it is apparently part of his plan that Lexi stays on this earth for a while longer. I wish her and her family the best.

• Sethdawg Fate, TX
    March 6, 2014 9:07 a.m.

Good luck Lexi

• crazy_momma ephraim, UT
    March 6, 2014 10:45 a.m.

Doogie,
    as I sit here sobbing I am amazed at how raw emotions can still be. for you see my sweet 5 year old was hit and then run over by a large truck this last summer in salt lake. I watched it right in front of my eyes. after being rushed to the hospital she too made a MIRACULOUS recovery!! God does have a plan for everyone and I am truly grateful for a heavenly father who loves us and gives us what we can handle! when we trust in him and truly put our lives in his power we will never be led astray! I too have a beautiful picture of my karlee signing I love you from her hospital bed! I would love to meet your daughter with my daughter. please let her know many prayers are said in her behalf and it does make a difference.

• RFLASH Salt Lake City, UT
    March 6, 2014 3:24 p.m.

It is a wonderful thing when you know that something or someone helped you. I almost died from a blockage. They had to cut me open.They didn't think I would live. I knew something had happened to me when I woke up because I felt this love that was stronger than anything I have ever experienced and I did the same thing! I found myself squeezing everyone's hands! They looked at me like I was crazy! All I could think about was how I wanted to see everyone even cousins and friends and I wanted to tell everyone how much I loved them! I even found myself telling people how wonderful they looked or some other thing I noticed. I wish I could have felt that forever, but it does go away and it is hard. I think I have a little idea of what we really should be doing! I know I have to help people feel love.
    She will probably have these kind of experiences! If she does, she should enjoy it while she can! It was a gift that God gave me. oh, now I realize how much I have been slacking

• Dennis Harwich, MA
    March 7, 2014 12:42 p.m.

"God has a plan for everyone" I don't believe that for a moment. Agency would be nonexistent were it so.

• Rikitikitavi Cardston, Alberta
    March 7, 2014 11:41 p.m.

Dennis please....
    we don't always choose to find out or choose to follow God's plan.

• guitarboy South Jordan, UT
    March 13, 2014 2:10 p.m.

Enjoyed the article and comments.

Flashback suggests Blue give it a rest--and his post was allowed by D-New staff.
    CWEB's certainties, seem different from faith.

I liked all Blue's comments.
    I liked' all Marx's comments.
    I liked Doogie's comments the most, perhaps because of his tragedy, and that he is just a heartbeat away from the girl who was injured; and his faith-promoting point of view.

I like faith-promoting comments when they are rational, like Doogie's were.

I served a 2-year LDS mission. I later became agnostic. However, I am a Mormon, I claim my Mormonism. I am proud of my Mormon heritage. My ancestors were courageous people who left their land. And while it appears--to me--that the LDS church might not be what I once thought it was, I have not ruled out the possibility that Joseph Smith really did see an angel and was lead to golden plates.

Consider the benefits of Blue's and Marx's comments. Without them, might not have Doogie's comments. Everything affects everything. I accept them all.