High school basketball: Lone Peak favored in 5A tournament again, but this time with added competition

Comments

• markymark HERRIMAN, UT
    March 2, 2014 8:56 p.m.

I can't wait for this tourney to start. There is 10 teams this year that could win it. It's going to be fun to watch.

• Unbelievable West Jordan, Utah
    March 3, 2014 7:18 a.m.

Outside of Christmas morning this is as good as it gets for this old junkie. One has to love the effort being made by coaches/ fans/ players as they chase that which has eluded communities, friends, and older brothers. It's a chance to reach the pinnacle of most players competitive playing careers. There are cheers and tears, as teams overachieve while others falter. Community legends are born, almost overnight.

In my minds eye, as a twelve year old Kearns Rug Rat, I can still see my Kearns High Cougars out lasting a great Viewmont Vikings team in 1972, claiming the schools first, and only, basketball state title. How about an over achieving West High Panther team, coming from out of nowhere, just a few years ago, to defeat an undefeated Provo High Bulldogs team, which had two elite players, one currently on a NBA roster.

My friends/ family think I'm a little off my rocker, you bet I am, at least until this week is over.

• Gunner South Jordan, UT
    March 3, 2014 11:43 a.m.

This is still Lone Peaks to lose. I wasn't impressed with Alta. Region 3 was pretty weak this year in basketball. They got thumped by a scrappy, but mediocre Copper Hills team. They barely beat a Bingham team in OT, that really is very mediocre this year with a new coach at the helm. It's Lone Peak's to lose.

• adwight AMERICAN FORK, UT
    March 3, 2014 5:26 p.m.

American Fork is also a team that could give anyone fits because of their size. They'll be an extremely tough out.

• H-TownTiger Hurricane, 00
    March 3, 2014 10:04 p.m.

I can see a few teams pulling the win against lone peak, but I still got to go for my favorite team. they still have a really dominant record, and besides...Haws needs to end the year with the bang. It'll look better on his sports resume alongside the Mr basketball award he is gonna win.

• Proud to be American West Jordan, UT
    March 4, 2014 11:30 a.m.

Agree that Region 3 was down this year, but they get free passes into the quarterfinals by playing a weak Region 2. Bingham just beat West by 27 points, their largest win of the season so far. So while I agree that Region 3 was weak, getting everyone to the quarters makes them tougher in my opinion. That being said, Lone Peak will beat Bingham by about 25 points. Bingham is one of the most up and down teams in the state this year, often in the same game. (They were only up 1 today against West at half)

Lone Peak is the team to beat, they have a way of stepping it up a notch come state tourney time. Yes there are good teams this year that can beat them, but they won't. Davis will be a tough out in the semis assuming Davis makes it to the semis.

Lone Peak beats PG in the finals by 15.

• Spinedr Alpine, UT
    March 4, 2014 3:20 p.m.

Davis just whooped on a good Herriman team. I was saying Lone Peak would win for three reasons... 1) Haws and 2) Coach Lewis 3) Been there, done that
    Now I am worried about Davis.

• Speak English - USA West Jordan, UT
    March 4, 2014 4:17 p.m.

True to form, Region 2 is looking to get swept out of the tourney for the second straight year. Keep in mind they also got swept out of the girls tourney this year as well.

I can't figure out for the life of me why the UHSAA (which stands for Utah High School Athletics Association) cannot spend some time balancing the regions. If you are an "athletic" association, why do you not spend time working those issues out?

Hillcrest and West have no business being in the tourney, both of them would finish dead last in any other region. In fact neither would make the tourney in 4A either. Every single team in Region 2 has been a doormat in their respective regions over the years. How is putting them all together in one giant "feel good" region good for high school sports?

• Spinedr Alpine, UT
    March 4, 2014 8:08 p.m.

Wow, I thought AF would win, but not by 30!