Report: Jimmer Fredette will sign with the Bulls

Comments

• sammyg Springville, UT
    Feb. 28, 2014 10:12 p.m.

Is Chicago in Turkey? LOL

Congrats to Jimmer for escaping from Sacramento. Good luck with your new team!

• Cougar Blue 1 Henderson , NV
    Feb. 28, 2014 10:24 p.m.

Love that he is going to Da Bulls! I also loved Taj Gibson's comments. Couldn't have said it better myself.

• Chris B Salt Lake City, UT
    Feb. 28, 2014 10:25 p.m.

I'm surprised that with such a great program like byu, their best player of the last 30 years isn't even good enough to start anywhere in the NBA.

Can anyone else think of a single great program whose best player of the last 30 years couldn't even start in the NBA?

I'm sincerely curious if anyone can think of any such teams?

Any?

• Tom in CA Vallejo, CA
    Feb. 28, 2014 10:31 p.m.

All the experts on the hill said he would be going to Turkey. Good luck with Chicago Jimmer!! Better days are ahead now.

• SCCougar LEXINGTON, SC
    Feb. 28, 2014 10:44 p.m.

Common Chris,

Haven't I seen that post before?

• Alberta Reader Salt Lake City, utah
    Feb. 28, 2014 11:01 p.m.

Ya Chris you have made that comment before I still chuckle at your comments though you keep the comments lively

• RonBergundy SANDY, UT
    Feb. 28, 2014 11:03 p.m.

@chris.

I'll answer your question once you name me one other fan that gets on his rival schools news articles and talks smack, even though his team has gone to the post season 1 time in the past 9 years

• Schnee Salt Lake City, UT
    Feb. 28, 2014 11:28 p.m.

This is a fantastic situation for Jimmer to be in and hopefully it works out alright.

• Chris B Salt Lake City, UT
    Feb. 28, 2014 11:51 p.m.

SCCougar,

I'm still waiting on a reply to my question.

Got anything?

• happylife OREM, UT
    March 1, 2014 12:03 a.m.

@Chris B
    Jimmer was the best player in the NCAA that year. Transitioning from the NCAA to professional sports is not always a given. How many Heisman winners never make it in Football? How many to picks in the NBA and NFL are a complete bust? How then do you associate this with a certain program such as BYU?

• Sweater In Rafters Franklin, IN
    March 1, 2014 5:59 a.m.

I'll bet Jimmer went around the other NBA teams and found Chicago to have the most padded benches! Maybe he even met the water boys and tested the Gatoraides...

Chicago had the best combo!!

Trading teams doesn't fix bad defense..

• Uteology East Salt Lake City, Utah
    March 1, 2014 6:09 a.m.

Not sure if this is a good fit for him but at least he's getting a 2nd chance.

Bulls eye Jimmer Fredette for 13th player
    Chicago Tribune

"In limited action, he's shooting a career-high 49.3 percent from 3-point range. Fredette is not considered a strong defender or shot-creator, but the Bulls' defense is strong enough to absorb some players who are poor at that end. And Fredette could play off the ball as a spot-minute, spot-up shooter."

• thebigsamoan Richmond, VA
    March 1, 2014 7:09 a.m.

Good grief, Chris! Isn't there a 2nd verse to that same old song you've been singing for years?

• utesgoingdownthehill Salt Lake City , UT
    March 1, 2014 7:13 a.m.

Ok Chris byu doesn't have
    any starter right now.
    So I am guessing utah has hundreds of starter in NBA? Many many mvps in NBA, right?
    Tell me how many all stars are coming out of our beloved utah this year?

• utesgoingdownthehill Salt Lake City , UT
    March 1, 2014 7:21 a.m.

Utah fans-
    2011- jimmer will never get drafted.
    2011-jimmer will never get a single minute.
    2014-jimmer is going to Europe
    2014- byu has no one in 30 years that can start
    2015-( lets say jimmer magically becomes starter) , they will say byu doesn't have NBA all-star
    2016- miraculously jimmer discovers a magic potion drinks it and becomes all star, they will still come up with a reason to hate him.

Remember fans of utah byu is not here to please you, just give up abreast.
    Thanks,
    Frustrated utah fan

• UteNationAlum Cottonwood Heights, UT
    March 1, 2014 7:21 a.m.

Good for him!

I actually thought the Jazz would consider picking him up and before my fellow utes freak out, this is why...

Jimmer would single handily put people in seats at the ESA. Also, his jersey would have probably been the most worn in the arena. Would have been a very savvy business decision.

Additionally, I think he could have been a good energy, get the crowd going, come in a hit some long range threes type guy.

• utesgoingdownthehill Salt Lake City , UT
    March 1, 2014 7:28 a.m.

I wonder how often power house basketball team don't go March madness for 5 years in a row? Chris how many NBA starter has utah produced since joining Pac? Can anyone answer? Anyone?

• Striker Omaha, NE
    March 1, 2014 7:34 a.m.

Finally. Sacramento is one of the jokes of the NBA. Glad he has a chance to play with some really good players.

Tom, he was going to be in Turkey all this time....for preseason training camp. The critics and BYU lovers had it right all along.

• From Ted's Head Orem, UT
    March 1, 2014 7:45 a.m.

Jimmer HAS started in the NBA and likely will start again. Will he be an All-Star? It's always possible, but I doubt Jimmer would consider himself a failure if he doesn't, unlike his detractors here and elsewhere. Jimmer iIS a success story and anyone who can't see that is doomed to live in their own dismal and dreary world, drinking half-empty bitter cups of envy and disappointment.

• Chris B's psychiatrist Iowa City, IA
    March 1, 2014 7:50 a.m.

CB, Let me respond to your comment in this way: It is easy to select a player from any college and find one that did not have a stellar NBA career for many reasons including major differences between the college and professional game. Adam Morrison of Gonzage comes to mind. Without adhering to your arbitrary 30 year cut off, let me give you two examples from the University of Utah: Bill McGill and Jerry Chambers. Both of these players were great college players and arguably the best in Utah history. Neither lived up to their potential in the NBA. This fact should not take away from their college careers. Whether Fredette ever "starts" in the NBA does nothing to diminish his amazing college career. Give it a rest.

• Missouri loves BYU Lebanon, MO
    March 1, 2014 7:52 a.m.

@ Chris,

I didn't have a vote but Fredette still won the Naismith Award, Adolph Rupp Trophy, Oscar Robertson Trophy and the Wooden Award. Pretty much slam dunks his place in history as an awesome basketball player.

As it applies to the pro game, Name the best NBA player who went to Utah. I will match you with the Best NBA player who went to BYU and we will see how they compare.

• Basketballgirl75 Provo, , UT
    March 1, 2014 7:54 a.m.

Yay for Jimmer! We are excited to watch you play on a new team.

• USAlover Salt Lake City, UT
    March 1, 2014 8:13 a.m.

Haters be gone.

Let him play! Just let him play....

• Josephbunzol chicago, IL
    March 1, 2014 8:29 a.m.

Hope he attends Chicago First if he signs. We need Priesthood.

• utesgoingdownthehill Salt Lake City , UT
    March 1, 2014 8:49 a.m.

ChrisB I have answer to your question, I am Utah fan and I have never ever ever seen any BYU fan to claim BYU to be basketball powerhouse. No, BYU doesn't have starter in NBA. They play in WCC. We play in PAC 12 conference that sends most NBA draft pick consistently every. What have we power house Utah contributed to it. How many NBA player have we send in NBA.
    Can you name a basketball power house that has only had one draft pick in last 10 year?

• gchris rock springs, wy
    March 1, 2014 8:57 a.m.

@ChrisB Jimmer started seven games for the Kings who I believe are in the NBA, though sometimes I wonder. Some would argue that Danny Ainge was the best BYU player in the last thirty years and he started multiple times for the Celtics and Suns. Is Jimmer's domination of Utah always going to be an issue with you?

• tyler11385 Springville, UT
    March 1, 2014 8:58 a.m.

@Chris B

Michael Doleac - Played for Utah during their glory years and led them to the NCAA championship game. Drafted 12th overall by the Orlando magic. Didn't start a single game. Averaged 15.9 mpg compared to Fredette's 18.5 mpg.

Why do you care? I loved watching Doleac play for the Utes and regardless of how his NBA career panned out, he had an amazing college career and I enjoyed watching him play.

• Y-Ask-Y? Provo, UT
    March 1, 2014 9:05 a.m.

Jimmer was overrated.

Still is.

I predict his bench warming in the NBA will be brief, followed by a quiet exit from the sport.

• KimmyP Granstville, UT
    March 1, 2014 9:14 a.m.

Yes, Jimmy is now destined for stardom once he becomes a Bull. By merely changing uniforms, he will grow another 4 inches, he will become much faster in transition and the defensive deficiency displayed throughout his career will magically disappear.

If the Jimmer could play, he would still be a King. They drafted him with a lottery pick and are letting him go without getting anything in return. That happens all the time with solid NBA players who are able to help win games. The Kings are at the bottom rung of the NBA ladder and he couldn't get on the floor with them due to his one dimensional ability, merely switching teams will not diminish this fact.

• Wildcat O-town, UT
    March 1, 2014 9:47 a.m.

Good for him! It will be interesting to see the terms of the contract. It might be just to finish this year out, kind of like a trial basis. I am not sure how many minutes he will get, but this a very good second chance in the NBA for him. Best of luck!

• hobbes1012003 Kaysville, UT
    March 1, 2014 9:51 a.m.

Why is Jimmers Defense always in question? he has NEVER been known for defense. He has ALWAYS been a guy who SCORES! That is exactly why the Bulls are picking him up, they need a strong 3-ball presence. and Jimmer is exactly that, and he will come cheaper since he bought out of the Kings crappy organization. It is a Win Win for both the Bulls and Jimmer.

• Cougarista Salt Lake City, UT
    March 1, 2014 9:56 a.m.

Good luck with the Bulls. The Kings are dysfunctional from the top down. Chicago has an outstanding coach and a winning attitude, things they lack in Sacramento.

• CougFaninTX Frisco, TX
    March 1, 2014 9:59 a.m.

Very excited to see Jimmer in Chicago. I hope he is given the opportunity to prove what he can do.

“Any fool can criticize, condemn and complain and most fools do.” Benjamin Franklin

• Say No to BO Mapleton, UT
    March 1, 2014 10:03 a.m.

If you can get some numbers up in Chicago you can retire early and promise to come back when you are 100%.
    It works for Rose.

• morganh Orem, Utah
    March 1, 2014 10:18 a.m.

Good job Jimmer!! Chicago is a much better team and I hope it works out for you.

• Uncle Rico Provo, UT
    March 1, 2014 10:20 a.m.

It must be a conspiracy against Jimmer.

Give me a break, he was the worst players on one of the worst teams in the NBA. They tried trading him, but had no takers. Chicago is going to sign him for the minimum to be a situational player.

After the year Jimmer fans will still claim he didn't get a chance. Maybe Jimmer just isn't cut out for the NBA, just admit it. If you can't make it on the worst team, what makes you think you'll make it on a better team.

If Boozer and Jimmer are on the court at the same time, it could be the worst defensive combination in NBA history.

• Flyer St. George, UT
    March 1, 2014 10:29 a.m.

The jury is still out on Jimmer! Any basketball fan who has the slightest amount of sports acumen, knows the following (they don't have to be a Jimmer or BYU fan): He was drafted by a franchise who is the equivalent of a dumpster fire, and is highly dysfunctional. Because of this, he was never given the chance to succeed as an NBA player. Stats don't lie. He has the ability to fill a valuable role in the league. He can flat out shoot! If this weren't the case, he wouldn't be courted by several teams.

The Jimmer was a great college athlete, and in the day, was a national phenomena. Those days are long gone, and it's time for him to carve out his place in the NBA. In my opinion, he'll end up being a good rotational player, and prove to be more like a JJ Redick rather than an Adam Morrison.

• Cougsndawgs West Point , UT
    March 1, 2014 10:39 a.m.

Chris B
    Look no further than your "prestigious" back yard for your answer. Oregon's best player in the last 30 yrs was either Luke Ridnour or Aaron Brooks, neither of which could hold a starting job in the NBA, either losing it when it was handed to them or never making it in the first place. Both those players have been busts from what their college talent was, and that was just off the top of my head....I'm sure there are more examples.

• The Rock Federal Way, WA
    March 1, 2014 10:51 a.m.

Chris B has a piano with only one key: The I hate all things BYU key.

A song with a single note a song does not make.

Nobody can take anything away from Jimmer's college career.
    Jimmer was the Kings IQ test. They failed, but Jimmer still made $2.4 million this last year. (How much did you make Chris?)

If the Bulls sign Jimmer, it will be because they want him and plan to use his skill set.
    Matt Carlino went from being a starter to a roll player. His minutes have not changed much. His scoring has spiked and he is now more important to the teem that he was as a starter. I wouldn't be surprised to see the same happen with Jimmer.

• SoonerUte Salt Lake City, UT
    March 1, 2014 11:10 a.m.

UteNationAlum "I actually thought the Jazz would consider picking him up. Jimmer would single handily put people in seats at the ESA."

Where do you get the impression that the Jazz need help getting people in seats?

Let's look at the last 3 home games, keeping in mind that capacity is 19,911 + suites.
    MIN - 19,323
    BOS - 17,130
    PHX - 19,939

How much would you pay Jimmer to fill up those last hundred seats?

• ekute Layton, UT
    March 1, 2014 11:10 a.m.

He didn't live up to his billing coming out of college. Because he's such a great guy and wonderful role model, the continued support of his followers is justified...and Chris's blunt criticism seems harsh. The Bulls are wise to acquire him as a minimal cap space situational player. I wish him well.

• Missouri loves BYU Lebanon, MO
    March 1, 2014 11:18 a.m.

Fredette is going to do fine in Chicago. They have a good coach and a winning culture. Based on the numbers Fredette will be nothing but a positive for the Bulls. The bulls need stronger outside shooting and Jimmer brings that with him in spades. Go Bulls!

• ed Los Olivos, CA
    March 1, 2014 11:19 a.m.

Could everyone quit comparing him to Adam Morrison, please? The only two things they have in common are skin color and both were drafted by crummy franchises. Morrison was 6-8; played 30 minutes a game as a rookie; averaged 12 points, 3 rebounds, and two assists. Then blew out a knee and never recovered.

• Y-Ask-Y? Provo, UT
    March 1, 2014 11:32 a.m.

Thank you, KimmyP. That's what I meant to say.

I am a BYU graduate and fan. I think Coach Dave Rose is brilliant. He exploited Jimmer's one-dimensional (Harlem Globtrotters-like) skill and made it work.

But that won't work at the next level, and many of us knew that from day one of Jimmer's career. That doesn't make us "haters". That simply means we have a different opinion of Jimmer's professional prospects than do the adoring, blindly sycophant-ish "lovers" of Jimmer.

• morpunkt Glendora, CA
    March 1, 2014 11:59 a.m.

Da' Bulls were talking Turkey with the Jimmer. Stay tuned to Jimmervision for the next 10 years, at least.

• Chris B Salt Lake City, UT
    March 1, 2014 12:01 p.m.

So still no examples of any great program in the nation that hasn't put a regular starter in the NBA in 30 years?

LOL!

• Copacetic Logan, UT
    March 1, 2014 12:42 p.m.

@ Chris:

How long has it been since a BYU article has come out that you haven't tried to impart your own level of juvenile negativity into it. When you actually add a meaningful dialog to the discussion, I'll be happy to give you some credit. I've been waiting to do so for a very long time.

Jimmer is a stud. A class act all the way. It will now become more interesting to follow the ascension of his NBA career.

What's really funny is that had Jimmer played at Utah (heaven forbid), no one could get you to stop singing his phrases.

• Rational Salt Lake City, UT
    March 1, 2014 2:02 p.m.

Meanwhile mighty Utah is dominating the bottom third of the PAC.

• justanothercougarfan Rigby, ID
    March 1, 2014 2:51 p.m.

@kimmyp
    What makes you so sure he wont be able to perform better?
    It's easy to speculate from your keyboard. How many college or NBA games have you played in??? Probably zero, just like me. It's easy for you to hate something you can't do. Why not just be glad for Jimmer? Wait, that is asking too much of the BYU haters. At least I can appreciate a good/great player no matter what school colors he wears. Jimmer was great in college (I think the awards he won speak for themselves.) and I think he is good in the NBA. Yes there are many better players but that doesn't stop me from liking him. It's funny how some people seem to hate what they can never have. I just enjoy watching Jimmer throw up 3's. I can make a few in the local church building and maybe 1 or 2 in a church ball game, but they will never look as pretty or as easy as the way Jimmer makes it look. Just stop hating and enjoy the game.

• esodije ALBUQUERQUE, NM
    March 1, 2014 3:03 p.m.

Glad to see Fredette get out of one of the NBA's ghettos and onto a real team. As usual, U fans insist they've left BYU behind, but the fact that they can't leave it ~alone~ makes clear that they haven't yet overcome their inferiority complex. (Maybe if they start really ~competing~ in the PAC-12?)

• truth in all its forms henderson, NV
    March 1, 2014 3:13 p.m.

12th man of the year! good luck in Chicago.

• portlander Arlington, WA
    March 1, 2014 4:28 p.m.

Chicago for now...Well maybe. As I write, it's not official yet. I'd still like for him to end up on the Trailblazers team. He has what they use the most...scoring! I can't seem to get any traction with any of you Utahns on this, but he'd be ahead of two or three guys on Portland's bench, maybe even 4 or 5 guys. Oh well, if not this year, maybe next! Hope springs eternal!

• Chris B's psychiatrist Iowa City, IA
    March 1, 2014 5:14 p.m.

Chris B: In order to answer your question, you need to define "great program". Do Evergreen State, UC Davis, Grand Canyon University, Lamar or Savannah count as great programs? Am I to assume so, since Utah scheduled them all. If they don't count, what about Princeton University? You also should define "regular" as in "regular starter".

• Common-Tator Saint Paul, MN
    March 2, 2014 10:31 a.m.

Seems there are lots of "experts" commenting on this one. For my part, I'll take the word of one of those currently in the league:

"It's just that the team that he was on, he never really got a chance to do much because they've got the characters on that team where they don't seem too serious, you know what I'm saying? Playing on strict, good teams kind of brings the best out of a player."

I still doubt Chicago will get by Miami or Indiana to the finals. But it will be interesting to see what Fredette will be able to do with a team (and presumably, coach) who really wants him.