Jimmer: Kings make Fredette's buyout official; sources say former Cougar receiving interest from Bulls, Cavaliers

Comments

• Stop The Nonsense El Paso, TX
    Feb. 27, 2014 1:50 p.m.

I can't wait to see Jimmer leave the Kings! Now I just hope he ends up on a good team with a coach who knows how to use him properly. Here's a hint: "Jimmer for threeee!"

• U-tah WEST VALLEY CITY, UT
    Feb. 27, 2014 2:07 p.m.

If we put on our realistic hats here we would realize the Kings did use Fredette the way they needed to. Fredette will play in the NBA as a twin brother to Shawn Bradley. Very much overrated as a NBA player but will find a 11th - 12th role player for a good career. To slow, no defense, to small = no much interest.

• Christine B. Hedgefog Salt Lake City, UT
    Feb. 27, 2014 2:45 p.m.

To slow, no defense, to small - and can't spell 'too'. I guess we all have our weaknesses. Jimmer is at least a multi-millionaire in the midst of his.

• Reno Cougs Fan 68 Reno, NV
    Feb. 27, 2014 2:46 p.m.

U-tah,
    Sure seems like there is interest from not just one but at least three NBA teams that think Jimmer would fit on their teams and contribute!!! Imagine that!!! Hope Jimmer gets a better chance to help a team and has as long a career as he wants!!!

Go Jimmer!!! Go Cougs!!! Rise Up!!!

• utesgoingdownthehill Salt Lake City , UT
    Feb. 27, 2014 3:15 p.m.

My my Chris b still hurt from 47. Holding grudge is not good for your health. As a fellow Utah fan I wouldn't want you to see unwell.

• IDC Boise, ID
    Feb. 27, 2014 3:22 p.m.

I hope Jimmer finds a new team. Bulls/Cavs/etc., pick up Jimmer and I will be a fan of your team. Heck, if Jimmer becomes a starter (I know, a long shot) I will even buy a jersey. Good luck Jimmer.

• nvfan Cedar City, UT
    Feb. 27, 2014 3:29 p.m.

San Antonio, Chicago, Boston and Chicago would be decent choices. Stay away from train wreck teams that are similar to the one you are now leaving. That includes New York and Cleveland. Jimmer has already been there and done that and should learn from that experience. I hope that he gets with one of the better coaches like Pop with the Spurs.

• Chris B . Salt Lake City, UT
    Feb. 27, 2014 3:31 p.m.

I love Jimmer! Can't get enough of those highlights on youtube! JIMMER FOR THREEEEE!

• Crisco B Salt Lake City, UT
    Feb. 27, 2014 4:15 p.m.

Okay. Understand that Jimmer will for all intensive purposes never about too much in the NBA. He is vary slow and has no ability to play defense. And his haircut is not that of a thug.

Take four example on the other hand the Utes. None of there players play in Europe. They all play in NBA. Or are at least really good at NBA game on Xbox.

Pleas stop writing about this young man. He is to boring too here about. He only make some few millions and does not live in mothers basement. Please wrote more about living in basement of my parents since I need to reed articles about normal people like me.

• Man in Charge Chihuahua, 00
    Feb. 27, 2014 4:45 p.m.

I bet the idaho stampede would take him. That will be the best offer im thinking. Maybe he can go back to BYU. Lol

• Missouri loves BYU Lebanon, MO
    Feb. 27, 2014 4:56 p.m.

Jimmer has been set free from the NBA basement. Now he can sign with a team that knows you have to score more than the other team to win. Funny to see so much interst in Jimmer from the Ute trolls. They must be getting tired of admiring their skiing trophies.

• USAlover Salt Lake City, UT
    Feb. 27, 2014 5:06 p.m.

All these haters of a kid who is the classiest, friendliest and most humble guy you can find.

All the hating on the internet is old, old, old.

Best of luck to Jimmer who is shooting 49% from the 3. If somebody believes enough in him, they'll be getting a steal for a low price and a great teammate.

• Cougarista Salt Lake City, UT
    Feb. 27, 2014 5:28 p.m.

Man in Charge-

Ending a troll post with "lol" pretty well dates someone as over the hill or never been on the hill.

• idablu Idaho Falls, ID
    Feb. 27, 2014 5:41 p.m.

I don't think he'll improve his situation by going to the Cavs. Then again, any of his suitors could be a crap-shoot.

• Sports Nutz Smithfield, UT
    Feb. 27, 2014 6:28 p.m.

USAlover,

So you were on a team with Jimmer? Cool, when?

• Richie Saint George, UT
    Feb. 27, 2014 6:29 p.m.

from all the options listed above I think Pops and the Spurs are by far the best.

• Samwise Salt Lake City, UT
    Feb. 27, 2014 6:46 p.m.

Good for Jimmer. I hope that he can end up contributing on a good team, but I must admit that even as a Jimmer lover, I am not sure if that will ever happen.

Chris B, the one question I have for you is which of the following is greater: your hatred for BYU or your love for the Utes? I can answer the opposite question easily. My love for BYU is far greater than my mild distaste for the Utes. How is it to have a hatred for a team so strong that is as large or larger than how much you like the team you cheer for?

• UtahBlueDevil Durham, NC
    Feb. 27, 2014 6:51 p.m.

I think some of these comments show some know nothing about basketball. Even here at Duke we have had guys who were the cream of the crop in college ball, but whose game didn't translate well into the pros. I think Jimmer falls into that camp. Its not that he doesn't have skill... it just doesn't transfer into the very upbeat to the hoop style found in the pros. How many pro teams do you see no days relying on the 3 to win games? I will give you a hint.... next to none.

So while I hope he does well... it is time to realize that he isn't going to be the great white hope from Utah. At least he got to play at the highest level.... 99 percent of college players can't even say that.

• Keen American Fork, UT
    Feb. 27, 2014 7:10 p.m.

Hmmm...whether one thinks Jimmer will have any type of NBA or professional bball career, we can speculate all we want because our opinions won't matter.

In fact, could you or I make an educated guess as to Jimmer becoming the NCAA Basketball Player of the Year (2010-11)? Could we have foreseen Jimmer not meshing well and/or getting little (or no) playing time with the Kings?

Similarly, we really don't know how his career will pan out. I hope we all wish him well whether you are a Ute, Cougar, or otherwise type of fan. He's the "consummate teammate and professional" as his teammates and coaches have said.

Whatever happens to him, good luck Jimmer! :)

• morpunkt Glendora, CA
    Feb. 27, 2014 7:39 p.m.

Jimmer! The Lakers are waiting for you! Utah doesn't want you, but we do.

• AKFan JUNEAU, AK
    Feb. 27, 2014 7:43 p.m.

It seems to me that a player that shoots 49% from outside the arc could help a team at times when an offensive thrust is needed to put the hammer down or stint a comeback. Such a player should also be able to open up the defense of another squad as players have to honor his outside shot. A lot of opportunities should open up in the otherwise congested inside. It seems the Lakers, the Heat, and the Bulls have all showcased veteran players who simply came in and made shots at critical times in games. One can make an enviable living in the NBA by being a dead eye from distance.

• IdahoCoog Malad City, ID
    Feb. 27, 2014 7:46 p.m.

I sincerely hope Jimmer finds a team and coach that utilize his great talent. This should be his #1 priority in choosing a team... not just money. Jimmer is a great player a myopic duo of Sacramento coaches couldn't see...

• Uteology East Salt Lake City, Utah
    Feb. 27, 2014 8:22 p.m.

@nvfan
    Cedar City, UT
    San Antonio, Chicago, Boston and Chicago would be decent choices.

---------

According to the article Chicago wants him as the "13th man" so how is that good for him? He was the 12th man at Sacramento.

What happened to New York, his home state? But then again with J.R. Smith and Anthony adding the Jimmer would mean not enough shots for the rest of 9 players.

He'll land somewhere, lets see if can take advantage of the 2nd chance..

• UteNationAlum Cottonwood Heights, UT
    Feb. 27, 2014 9:30 p.m.

It's about time! Dude needs to play for a different team. The Kings organization is terribly run.

• Two For Flinching Salt Lake City, UT
    Feb. 27, 2014 9:46 p.m.

A great PG is a "ball handler", not the main scoring threat. Look at John Stockton, Jason Kidd, Rajon Rondo, even Andre Miller. All of them are 12-13 points, 7-10 assist per-game type players. The reason Jimmer has not, and will not, pan out in the NBA is because he is a score first, pass second type of player. That just doesn't work for a point guard.

• Vladhagen Salt Lake City, UT
    Feb. 27, 2014 10:14 p.m.

2 for Flinching....

Great point guards like Tony Parker, Derrick Rose, Russell Westbrook......wait they score before passing. And are pretty successful doing so. Tony Parker has had only two seasons above 7 assists a game (played 12 years).

And I severely doubt that Andre Miller will be remembered as one of the all time great PGs. He is okay. He played a decade or so in the NBA. But he is only middle of the road in terms of "Great." A sort of Bryon Russell type of player. Had an NBA career and started. But the HOF does not have him on speed dial.

• Uncle Rico Provo, UT
    Feb. 27, 2014 10:36 p.m.

Re: Vladhagen

Tony Parker is quick and he is tough and scores a lot in the paint. You cannot compare this future hall-of-famer to Jimmer ( a guy that no team was willing to trade for).

It looks like the Bulls will sign Jimmer, but he will be making close to the minimum. Bulls think they can teach him defense is funny, they didn't teach Boozer defense. Jimmer is a situational player at best. If you are down 3 at the end of the game maybe put him in, but he is a liability to play consistent minutes.

Glad the Jazz didn't go after him. Alec Burks is much better (and he was drafted after Jimmer).

• JD Las Vegas, NV
    Feb. 28, 2014 12:11 a.m.

"Reality" is something that crazed fans struggle to notice and recognize. A successful professional basketball player is able to do more than one thing well. In fact, they usually do multiple things very well. The scouting report for Jimmer is he can only do one thing, shoot. And even then, against pro athletic competition, he is not able to get free quick enough to get his shot off due to being slow. Jimmer will most likely never play in the NBA again, if the Kings don't want him, I can't see why anybody else is going to go after him.

If he wants to continue to play ball, he will have to join a foreign team. That is "reality"

• Two For Flinching Salt Lake City, UT
    Feb. 28, 2014 12:13 a.m.

@ Vladhagen

Parker and Westbrook average 6 and 7 apt, respectively. Rose is good, but overrated IMO. However, I never said a PG can't be a valuable scoring asset. My point was simply that a PG, especially one who receives significant minutes, needs to be able to do more than just score. From what I've seen, Jimmer can score, but doesn't really do much else.

As for Andre Miller, I know he's not elite, but he is still one of the better point guards to play the game. And as a player he is WAY out of Bryon Russell's league. Miller is 9th all-time in assists, and is in the top 40 for career steals. He is only 28 steals away from passing Reggie Miler and Julius Erving in that category. Plus Miller has scored over 15,500 points. Russell ended his career with 6,600, at a way more "scorer friendly" position.

• CougarColby Fort Benning, GA
    Feb. 28, 2014 5:52 a.m.

You can pile on Jimmer all you want, but he is leading the league is 3 point percentage (as least as of 10 days ago) while only averaging a hair over 11 minutes a game. I think it says something if Thibs and Pop are interested in the kid (even if mildly). It sounds like as of this morning the Bulls are the #1 team to land Jimmer. The Bulls are known for defense and I think Thibs will get the most out of Jimmer.

The Bulls have a great organization, coach and solid group of no-nonsense, mature players. he may not be a starter over there, but he will be great off the bench lighting it up. Good luck Jimmer, I think I just became a Bulls fan!

• CougarColby Fort Benning, GA
    Feb. 28, 2014 6:01 a.m.

Rico

Vladhagen did not compare Jimmer to Tony Parker, read again.

Jimmer and Boozer are two different players will different mindsets. We all know Boozer too well from his Jazz days. He does what he wants to do, when he wants to do it. Although a great talent, not fun to coach.

Jimmer on the other hand is very teachable. Jonathan Santiago tweeted that Kings brass will give a "glowing recommendation" to whoever courts Fredette. They said they would do that because of the player he has been for them. I don't think Boozer has ever received that...

I don't see Jimmer as a PG and neither do the Bulls, they have their MVP at that position. He can come in as a number 2 SG and the kid can still score. We forget the talent that he does have, he just hasn't had the minutes or the green light to let it go. I think the Knick game was a nice reminder (although the Knicks are horrible defenders). But besides Miami and Chicago, who plays defense these days....

• FREDISDEAD Layton, UT
    Feb. 28, 2014 8:21 a.m.

@ Chris B

So you are calling BYU a basketball "POWERHOUSE" wow High praise.
    Every hear of someone named J.J. Redick? Or how about Adam Morrison selected THIRD in the NBA draft? Not everyone who is amazing in college "starts" in the NBA.

However, they all have more money then you can dream of.

So why all the hate....or is it just old fashioned JEALOUSY???

• FREDISDEAD Layton, UT
    Feb. 28, 2014 8:24 a.m.

His game against the Knicks this month showed what he can do with a little playing time.

Seemed pretty good to me.

• portlander Arlington, WA
    Feb. 28, 2014 8:25 a.m.

Beating my drum again!!! Portland is the answer! They use guys like Jimmer to beat their competition.They have guys that are hurt. They have guys that can't compete anymore. They like young guys, young guns!

Oh please, I hope beyond hope that the Blazers get into the mix and pick him up. Hand in glove, he'd fit so well!!!

Go Jimmer! Go Blazers!

• babyR Salt Lake, UT
    Feb. 28, 2014 9:28 a.m.

Jimmer never did fit in with the Kings. Too bad for them. Jimmer is too much a gentleman to say what many of us think should be said: he wasn't given a fair chance from the get-go. Management, coaches--it doesn't matter now. Jimmer is still my idol and may never fit in with the NBA environment, much to his credit! I wish you all the best, Jimmer. You are the finest role-model anyone could have--especially among young aspiring athletes.

• Y-Ask-Y? Provo, UT
    Feb. 28, 2014 10:13 a.m.

I hate to say I told you so, but I did: Jimmer was way overrated and was a college fluke. He will be lucky to be playing in Europe three years from now.

• UtahBruin Saratoga Springs, UT
    Feb. 28, 2014 10:31 a.m.

It is comical how everyone has an opinion on where Jimmer will end up. Many are saying that he will be lucky to be in Europe, lucky to make an NBA squad, etc.

The fact is, this guy made it. I don't care if it is for only three years. He did it and accomplished his dream of playing in the NBA. And from the article, it seems like he may have another few more years playing out his dream. So I say good for Jimmer.

Ultimately, in every interview I have seen this kid, he seems like a pretty good upstanding guy. So in the NBA, in Europe, or if he decides to make a new life for himself after making millions. Good luck to Jimmer wherever he ends up. I hope it is in the NBA so he can fulfill more of his dream.

• Rational Salt Lake City, UT
    Feb. 28, 2014 10:32 a.m.

@Y-ask-huh?

We'd ALL be lucky to play in Europe.

• Rational Salt Lake City, UT
    Feb. 28, 2014 10:34 a.m.

@Two-for-flinching

Rose is overrated?

He was MVP.

M-V-P.

• utesgoingdownthehill Salt Lake City , UT
    Feb. 28, 2014 11:04 a.m.

From a utah fan, Good luck Jimmer, you have already achieved more than most people can dream of. Good luck on your future endeavors.
    Now I am off to prepare for speech when we wreck the pac 12 basketball championship and win big dance this year.Go utes!

• Jazz Fan in Potsdam Potsdam, NY
    Feb. 28, 2014 11:39 a.m.

Why wouldn't the Jazz pick him up for the rest of the year? Give him a chance and see what he can do. He's not going to affect your wins and losses that much (if at all) and it will give the fans something to get excited about, sell a few jerseys, etc. I just don't see the downside.

• Copacetic Logan, UT
    Feb. 28, 2014 11:46 a.m.

Interesting observations...

Not all Utes are Jimmer haters. But almost all Jimmer haters are Utes.
    If Jimmer had played for the UofU, I could all but guarantee his current detractors would be some of his greatest supporters. It's sad, but interesting, how over-the-top college sports fans sometimes lose almost all objectivity.

@ Two For Flinching:
    You say that Jimmer won't make it in the NBA. Newflash!... He already has! He was a first round pick who has already been paid double-digit millions of dollars.

The average NBA career is 4.8 years. Jimmer is already two-thirds of the way there and will undoubtedly surpass that number.

Jimmer is currently in he upper tier of 3-point percentage NBA shooters. It's doubtful anyone on the Jazz can shoot nearly 50% from 3-point range.

As a guard, Jimmer has a very respectable assist to turnover ratio.
    As a shooter, Jimmer has a great points-per-minute played number... one of the best on the King's roster and in the upper half of the NBA.

There are spots in the NBA for sharpshooters. The Jazz paid Korver to do exactly that.

• Man in Charge Chihuahua, 00
    Feb. 28, 2014 11:50 a.m.

Jazz fan in Potsdam.

Jabari Parker will also sell Tickets and Jerseys. The Jazz want to improve as a team defensively and Jimmer doesn't fit that mold. I still can't believe people are talking about Jimmer when Jabari Parker is around.

• Objectified Tooele, UT
    Feb. 28, 2014 12:07 p.m.

I agree with "Jazz Fan in Potsdam".

Jimmer is very popular in Utah. He would always pack the house whenever he played here... whether those buying tickets were for or against him. Team owners don't care about the motive, as long as they can see tickets. The NBA is a business.

When a team is either up or down by just a few scores toward the end of any game, it's a big asset to have someone who can hit almost half their 3-point attempts to make a run, or who can shoot 90% from the foul-line when other teams need to start fouling to get the ball back.

The Jazz haven't had that type of specialized player ever since they lost Korver. There is definitely a need for such a player on most NBA teams... assuming that team's coach is smart enough to know how and when to use that specialty.

Bottom line: The Jazz would sell more tickets and would acquire a specialized skill they are currently lacking if they are smart enough to aquire Jimmer. And they probably wouldn't have to pay through the nose to do so.

• Objectified Tooele, UT
    Feb. 28, 2014 12:50 p.m.

@ Man in Charge:

You need to get real. As you insinuated, there are no objective comparisons between Jimmer and Jabari. However, Jimmer is a lot more obtainable than Jabari... and to almost any NBA team right now. Only one team will end up with a shot at Jabari. He won't be on the open market for a long time... if ever.

On the other hand, Jimmer is currently available to a number of teams. And there is no question he has NBA-level basketball skills that most teams could put to good use. Used in the right way and on the right team, Jimmer would provide a good benefit to cost ratio.

• SlopJ30 St Louis, MO
    Feb. 28, 2014 1:35 p.m.

Jimmer can't play "D." Jimmer's too slow. Jimmer isn't a playmaker. The echo chamber has hypnotized whole bunches of you into repeating the same old stuff over and over and over and over and over.

The "D" thing - Do you know who has always known the guy would struggle on D? Only EVERYONE. The question is, can his value as a scorer outweigh his defensive deficiencies? There have been plenty of NBA players of whom you could ask the same question, very few of them with Jimmer's stroke.

The "slow and unathletic" (read: "white") thing - Well, his measurables before his rookie year didn't come out too badly. Yeah, he doesn't play above the rim, but no-one's asking him to dunk on centers. Again, he's got more inherent athleticism than many long-time players.

The "playmaker" thing - Why do some of you think that having legit 30-foot range isn't an asset teams could use? Why does every discussion seem to begin with what he CAN'T do rather than what he CAN? No-one said the guy is the next Stockton, but couldn't he at least be Steve Kerr?

• BleedCougarBlue Enid, OK
    Feb. 28, 2014 1:35 p.m.

I bet Fredette plays for at least another 4-5 years in the NBA, making a decent career of professional basketball and making a very large sum of money in the process.

Chris B. can mark THAT down!

• BleedCougarBlue Enid, OK
    Feb. 28, 2014 1:36 p.m.

@ Crisco B - Salt Lake City, UT "Okay. Understand that Jimmer will for all intensive purposes never about too much in the NBA."

OK, I can't let this one pass....

It is not "intensive purposes", it is "intents and purposes".

You're welcome.

• ed Los Olivos, CA
    Feb. 28, 2014 6:18 p.m.

to: Bleed Cougar Blue

Crisco's post was humor. Get it?

• Crisco B Salt Lake City, UT
    Feb. 28, 2014 7:53 p.m.

+1 to ed there. And yes, I am relatively well versed in oronyms of the English language. I do have several college degrees after all......Well, not that that means anything but.....yes, I am not as dum as I may apeer. It is all enact.

• UtahBlueDevil Durham, NC
    Feb. 28, 2014 8:06 p.m.

…. and then like clockwork, after I say something about the NBA and threes not being key to many teams, I watch the Warriors/Nicks game tonight and the Warriors were raining threes like there was no tomorrow. Seems to work that way a lot, I say something, and life turns on ya and smacks you back down again.

… so I revise, normally NBA teams don't rely on the three to win, unless it is the last night of February, and the Warriors are trying to secure a playoff stop, then yes….. threes are extremely important. The thing is, neither team was having a hard time hitting threes. Seems hitting a 3 pointer tonight is not a unique skill.

So Jimmer may find a home in the NBA, or he could head to Europe for a while….. or he could move on to coaching…. or what ever he likes. He's had a good career all things considered.