Opinion

Lois M. Collins: Rude, inflammatory political chatter a harmful sign of the times

Comments

• Sven Morgan, UT
    Feb. 25, 2014 1:44 a.m.

Ms. Collins,

I'm always amused when the Left feigns outrage at something somebody says; especially about President Obama. The only people with thinner skin than Obama, are his supporters...especially his cheerleaders in the media.

Where were you the eight years George W. Bush was president?

*Remember the movie that was made, and celebrated by liberals, about the assassination of President Bush?

*Remember Barbra Streisand likened Bush to Herman Goering?

*Remember what Sean Penn said about Bush: "I am more patriotic than this president we have, who I consider a traitor of human and American principles.”

*Remember what Julianne Malveaux of USA Today said about Bush: "George W. Bush is evil. He is a terrorist. He is evil. He is arrogant. And he is out of control."

I could go on...

You're a reporter, yet the only thing negative you could dig up on the Left, and their treatment of Bush, was Alec Baldwin threatening to leave the country...seriously?

My short list of outrageous things said by liberals about Bush, make Ted Nugent's comments inconsequential.

Were the Left's "Rude, inflammatory political chatter a harmful sign of the times" when Bush was president also?

• JoeBlow Far East USA, SC
    Feb. 25, 2014 4:42 a.m.

Ms Collins is right. There is inflammatory political rhetoric on both sides of the isle.

So, is that an equivalence? Seems to Ms Collins it is.

There will always be fringe elements on both the right and the left that will overstep the bounds of decency. Nothing that we can do about them. (however, we can police ourselves)

But, we don't have to celebrate them. It is one thing to not have the backbone to publicly denounce over the top rhetoric, but we don't need to elevate their stature.

Sorry, but I don't see an equivalence.

The GOP base loves Ted Nugent and Rush Limbaugh and what they say and stand for. And that is fine...... until the GOP leaders include them as spokespeople.

Possibly you can find those on the left who have publicly said similar things to Nugents recent rant (If so, show me). But can you show where the party embraces them?

That is the difference.

• liberal larry salt lake City, utah
    Feb. 25, 2014 6:30 a.m.

This editorial totally misses the point of public outrage over Ted Nugent's inflammatory comments.

The outcry is over the fact that Texas Republican gubernatorial hopeful Greg Abbott has RECRUITED Nugent to campaign for him!

The outrage is over the fact that Mr. Abbott recruited someone who released a record in 1981 called "Jailbait", which has lyrics so sordid I won't even quote them!

The outrage is over the fact Ted Nugent is cheered on by a hardcore group of people who actually think he is speaking on their behalf!

• SEY Sandy, UT
    Feb. 25, 2014 6:47 a.m.

I couldN'T care less, either.

• mohokat Ogden, UT
    Feb. 25, 2014 7:15 a.m.

The office of the President has and deserves respect. The holder of that office has to earn that respect. I have no respect for the present occupant of that office and that has no bearing on my patriotism. Respect for someone who takes no responsibility, who has proven to be untrustworthy. No thanks.

• Esquire Springville, UT
    Feb. 25, 2014 7:56 a.m.

I agree. But when I've asked people to tone it down, especially towards the President (who has been abused more than any President in modern times), they get angry. Look at the comments of "mohokat." No one thinks they are the problem, and they rationalize their behavior in some astounding ways. So, tell me what is the solution? As long as you have the fractured media, and media who are either intellectually dishonest, cowardly, cannot connect the dots, or are advocates, then the discourse will not change.

• SEY Sandy, UT
    Feb. 25, 2014 8:09 a.m.

I'll admit that I was extremely critical of President G.W. Bush, but I'm every bit as critical of President Obama. They've both been disasters. However, I find the epithets thrown by Ted Nugent as crossing the line of acceptable discourse. When you begin to dehumanize other individuals, you can find yourself on the road to unacceptable behavior. It gives you license to do things to others because they're no longer human. It makes it easier to inflict physical or psychological harm on them because they're now a threat to "the rest of us humans." We see that in wars when soldiers on one side call the opposing soldiers hateful names. If others don't meet our standards of thought or behavior, we need to remember that they're still our fellow men (or women). The act of dehumanizing others is itself dehumanizing to those who engage in it.

• Mike Richards South Jordan, Utah
    Feb. 25, 2014 8:26 a.m.

I agree with mohokat. The office deserves respect, but the person holding that office must earn our respect. When the President blames others for his own failures, he deserves no respect. That doesn't mean that we should resort to name calling, but it does mean that we can and should speak about his failures.

Why aren't people talking about the administration's redefinition of "freedom of the press"? His administration is campaigning to oversee news outlets to insure that they print only what Americans "need". They've already defined our need as those things relating to our "safety" and our "health". That in NOT why we have the 1st Amendment. We have that amendment to keep government out of the newsroom, out of the editorial offices, out of TV and out or radio. Read history. How many nations became dictatorships after the government "gave" the people health care and then restricted the media?

There is enough to write about without calling names, but no one is required to respect an individual who has not earned that respect.

• Hutterite American Fork, UT
    Feb. 25, 2014 8:44 a.m.

Some of you clearly don't like the President and have made arguments for yourself to assuage any conscience you might have against that dislike. Fine. Next time, vote for your man.

• JoeCapitalist2 Orem, UT
    Feb. 25, 2014 8:44 a.m.

JoeBlow:

I didn't hear the rant of Ted Nugent, but from the reports I heard, it was very over-the-top inappropriate. We can disagree (often emphatically) with the opposition without resorting to those kinds of tactics.

But I am also sorry that you cannot (or won't) see the blantent examples of similar behavior on the left. There are flame-thowers from radical leftists all over the place that are openly embraced by the Democratic party, their leaders, and the president himself!

Jeremiah Wright, Bill Maher, Al Sharpton, and Michael Moore are just a few examples. Elected officials like Al Frankin, Alan Grayson, and Maxine Waters say stuff that is just as bad. President Bush endured rude behavior from the left all day long, yet so many liberals pretend that the current outrage over Obama's policies is something new.

• Ultra Bob Cottonwood Heights, UT
    Feb. 25, 2014 9:02 a.m.

When the bullets and bombs of a hot war end, sometimes the war just takes on different weapons and keeps on going. Such is true about the American Civil. The weapon of choice is hate. Aggravated by the oppression of the winning side, the losers easily find the resources and motivation for the creation of hate. And when the level of hate becomes high enough the hot war may very well start all over again.

If a child misbehaves and is punished by the parent, when the punishment of finished, the child is often accepted back with all the love and care that was there before. If only we could learn from our successful experiences.

• Craig Clark Boulder, CO
    Feb. 25, 2014 9:21 a.m.

Nugent's outburst says more about who he is than anything about the President.

• JoeBlow Far East USA, SC
    Feb. 25, 2014 9:28 a.m.

JoeCap. As I stated in my post, I agree that there is over-the-top rhetoric on the left.

And your examples of Jeremiah Wright, Bill Maher, Al Sharpton, and Michael Moore.

These folks are not on the campaign trail. They do not speak at the Democratic National Convention.

" Al Frankin, Alan Grayson, and Maxine Waters say stuff that is just as bad."

As bad as what? Nugent? Who?

"so many liberals pretend that the current outrage over Obama's policies is something new."

Of course "outrage over policy" is nothing new. But we are not talking about "policy differences".
    We are talking about blatant and personal hatred. The GOP seldom distances themselves from those who spew such hatred. In Nugent's case, he is celebrated. He is on the campaign trail.

Rush says over the top things. As does Bill Maher. But Bill Maher would NEVER be asked to speak at the DNC. Nor would Rev Wright.

We cant help what the fringe wackos on either side say or do. But, I dont see where the left embraces their fanatics and brings them on stage.

Feel free to give me instances.
    Go listen to Nugents rant.

• airnaut Everett, 00
    Feb. 25, 2014 9:52 a.m.

Does Ted Nugent live in Utah?

• JoeCapitalist2 Orem, UT
    Feb. 25, 2014 9:54 a.m.

JoeBlow: I could give you instances all day long where "the left embraces their fanatics and brings them on stage". Somehow, I doubt you would acknowledge any of them.

The civility will never return until BOTH sides openly condemn outrageous comments from the radical wings of their own party as adamantly as they condemn similar comments from the other side. Party leaders must shun such behavior even when they perceive a political advantage by embracing it.

I'm not optimistic that this will happen anytime soon but your failure to recognize that your party is just as guilty as the GOP isn't going to help solve the problem.

• Flashback Kearns, UT
    Feb. 25, 2014 10:10 a.m.

You go clear back to the 30's when Roosevelt ran against Hoover. That was the modern start of all of this, and back then it all came from the Democrats. They have raised it to an art form that came to its zenith during the W. Presidency. Harry Reid has never been called out by the media for his inflammitory rhetoric regarding President Bush.

You are crabbing about Nugent. You ought to be crabbing about the whole Democrat establishment. "He was born with a silver foot in his mouth", Ann Richards. Need I say more.

• Open Minded Mormon Everett, 00
    Feb. 25, 2014 10:13 a.m.

Which is worse:

Ted Nugent calling President Barack Obama a "subhuman mongrel."

or

President Barack Obama being calling the "Anti-Christ", "ObamaNation" or "Son of Perdition" in LDS Gospel Doctrine or Preisthood meetings?

It's ture, It's happened -- many times.

[And you people wonder why I sometimes get up and walk out of church...]

• FT salt lake city, UT
    Feb. 25, 2014 10:22 a.m.

I agree with Craig Clark. The comments say much more about the person than the President. The congressman who yelled out "liar" during the state of the union, Ted Nugent, Micheal Moore, or Alec Baldwin are all cut from the same cloth. What they said is meaningless because of how they said it.

• Tyler D Meridian, ID
    Feb. 25, 2014 11:03 a.m.

Articles like this, and really so much of what our media showcases and has become, makes me wonder repeatedly when we are going to stop paying attention to our village idiots.

• Esquire Springville, UT
    Feb. 25, 2014 11:10 a.m.

See, even after reading the op-ed piece, some commenters still express their hatred for the President, relying on media propaganda that if full of falsehoods, misrepresenting the man and his policies. These commenters will never accept anyone not of their party or choosing. They attack even his legitimacy (just as they did to Clinton). Having worked for leaders in both parties, I am calling out some of the commenters here and asking them to focus on issues, on reality, and on facts, instead of Fox and other right wing propaganda intended to bring the President down or otherwise weaken him. We all have policy differences, but to want to destroy the duly elected leader of our nation, just because you disagree (and you are in the minority, after all), does not seem to me to be patriotic. Seems like a totalitarian state might be your preference in reality.

• Sven Morgan, UT
    Feb. 25, 2014 11:31 a.m.

Esquire said:

"See, even after reading the op-ed piece, some commenters still express their hatred for the President, relying on media propaganda that if full of falsehoods, misrepresenting the man and his policies."

Yeah, I know what you mean. The Left showed nothing but kindness, understanding, and support for President Bush during his eight years in office. The nation could at least reciprocate this same good will towards President Obama...right?

Well, okay, there was the movie depicting President Bush's assassination, which was cheered by Liberals, but that was just good clean political satire. Okay, the Left also called him a terrorist, but this was meant in a good way, and shouldn't be confused with "inflammatory political chatter..."

Talk about selective amnesia.

• Res Novae Ashburn, VA
    Feb. 25, 2014 11:41 a.m.

Some commenters have a hard time spotting the difference between respect and simple human decency. Some things are beyond the bounds of civilized discussion.

There is no defense for what came from Nugent. None.

• 1covey Salt Lake City, UT
    Feb. 25, 2014 11:56 a.m.

If the shoe fits, ear it. Or, better yet, get different shoes. Perhaps, we could begin at home, here in these comments by policing ourselves. Let's improve our language and our style. We can disagree with civility. I went slightly overboard, once, myself. Didn't make the cut; even my wife got after me.

• marxist Salt Lake City, UT
    Feb. 25, 2014 11:57 a.m.

Remember Werner Klemperer (Col Klink on Hogans Heros)? I remember his being on a talk show with the late Jack Anderson. Klemperer lived through Nazi Germany. He said the first thing which went down was public discourse - it became cruder and cruder - meaner and meaner. Anderson brushed this off, but Klemperer made a good point. This ugly dialog may be a sign of things to come, bad things.

• Thinkin\' Man Rexburg, ID
    Feb. 25, 2014 12:10 p.m.

This is absolutely nothing new. You should just look up campaign materials going all the way back to 1800. We got nothin' on them!

• patriot Cedar Hills, UT
    Feb. 25, 2014 12:32 p.m.

Two things need to be said about this article and understood

1. Nugent apologized for his comments ...many times. Lois failed to mention that fact for some reason. Ted Nugent is a very patriotic person and is correct for calling out Obama as a clear and present danger to America ...because he is. Nugent however did not excuse his inflammatory words which were spoken in the heat of the moment.
    2. How many times over the past 5 years has Barack Obama been the SOURCE of the harsh, terrible, and inflammatory rhetoric toward conservatives? Too many to count!!! Lois needs to set the record straight and speak the whole truth ...not just one side of it.
    3. It seems that the media (NBC, MSNBC, CNN) and Democrat's in congress as well as race hate generators like Sharpton use inflammatory and ridiculously ugly language toward conservatives on a DAILY basis.

It always helps to consider the whole truth and not just the parts you like Lois!

• patriot Cedar Hills, UT
    Feb. 25, 2014 12:46 p.m.

re:mohokat

great comment. Spot on!!

• marxist Salt Lake City, UT
    Feb. 25, 2014 1:00 p.m.

@Mohokat "...The holder of that office has to earn that respect. " Have any of you blokes been in the army? I have. They told us there that "it's not the man it's the uniform." Its quite true.

I have to remind myself over and over to be civil in my discourse even though I have strong opinions. We have a lot at stake. Mean talk will result in mean results.

• TheTrueVoice West Richland, WA
    Feb. 25, 2014 1:23 p.m.

It seems that some of you think it is justified to denigrate the current President and his office, simply because the previous President was subjected to it.

Um, okay... are any of you over the age of 10?

I only ask because many of my 5th grade students use the same logic... "I pushed him off the monkey bars because he pushed me first".

Brilliant, mature logic.

• marxist Salt Lake City, UT
    Feb. 25, 2014 1:31 p.m.

The remarks of Ted Nugent are increasingly common and ominous. When he call Obama a "mongrel" this gets to the fascist preoccupation with racial purity. Fascism feeds on intemperate language. The fascist beast is loose. Beware.

• JoeCapitalist2 Orem, UT
    Feb. 25, 2014 1:34 p.m.

TheTrueVoice:

No. We don't think it is OK to denigrate Obama just because Bush had to endure it.

What we really dispise is the pure hypocracy of those who scream how unfair and hateful that conservatives must be for disagreeing with Obama and his policies after they themselves spent the entire 8 Bush years saying far worse things about the GOP (and continue to do so today).

• Demo Dave Holladay, UT
    Feb. 25, 2014 1:45 p.m.

Lois, the correct phrase is, "I couldn't care less." If you could care less, you imply that you care to some degree already, which is the opposite of what you are trying to say.

• JoeBlow Far East USA, SC
    Feb. 25, 2014 2:34 p.m.

"Nugent apologized for his comments ...many times."

"Nugent however did not excuse his inflammatory words which were spoken in the heat of the moment. "

I guess ole Ted has been in the "heat of the moment" quite often then.

These kinds of comments are not exactly new for Mr Nugent. When you slip up and then apologize, it should be accepted and that would be the end.

But when you do it repeatedly, ones "apology" doesn't exactly come off as sincere. Nugent has a long history of over the top hate speech but that is not enough to deter high level GOP candidates from stumping with him, or inviting him to the State of the Union speech.

Joecap, you keep insisting that there is a long list of examples. Bring one or two of the most egregious (from people that the Democrats give a political platform to)

Enlighten me.

• Unreconstructed Reb Chantilly, VA
    Feb. 25, 2014 3:00 p.m.

I found the personal attacks on Bush to be tiresome and below the belt. Despite my profound differences with him in political philosophy, and my issues with what I saw as his hubris, he was still my commander in chief.

I would chastise my more extremist friends who bought into the 9/11 conspiracies, Michael Moore's mocking, etc.

I thought the whole co-called "Bush Derangement Syndrome" was a troubling sign of where civil discourse was going, and was optimistic that Bush's leaving office would change the tone.

Nope. What we have now is Bush Derangement Syndrome on steroids.

Don't justify the rhetorical hatred of Obama on the grounds that liberals did it first. Ya'll ought to have known better and taken the higher ground, but you didn't. Own it.

• 10CC Bountiful, UT
    Feb. 25, 2014 3:11 p.m.

I know a lot of folks on the right are amused by and appreciate Ted Nugent, aka, "The Nuge", and admire his (what might be termed) "vigorous expressions of freedom", like mowing down 400 wild hogs from a helicopter with a machine gun, etc.

But for both the right, and the left, it behooves the consumer of information to know what they're actually getting.

When the Nuge said Obama was a "subhuman mongrel", it was, of course, over the line, and it turns out the words "subhuman" and "mongrel" were actually used by the Nazis to denigrate Jews in the run-up to the concentration camps in WWII.

*THEN*, with the highest level of irony, the Nuge accuses Obama of taking us on a path like Nazi Germany(!)

(It's debatable whether Nugent actually could correlate those two items, and see a potential paradox in his statements, but the consumers of the information he provides hopefully can make the distinction.)

• Tyler D Meridian, ID
    Feb. 25, 2014 3:18 p.m.

@JoeCapitalist2 – “What we really dispise is the pure hypocracy… ”

As one who has seen this from both sides (and believe it or not, even defended Bush against the more vitriolic attacks on the Left), I’m not sure you want to go down the “hypocrisy” road in an effort to gain the moral high ground.

I don’t think we’ve ever seen anything like the hypocritical knee-jerk reactionary hatred of our current president. How much of this is based on race is anyone’s guess, but it goes without saying that after a few decades of continuously punishing blatant racism in the public arena, people have gotten pretty good at hiding their prejudices in the marketplace of ideas.

I think the knock-down evidence for my point about Obama is the sheer number of times he has been attacked with the most hyperbolic & inflammatory language for policies and proposals that were either created by Republicans or were at one time supported by Republicans (e.g., Romney’s healthcare plan, Bush’s Immigration plan, McCain’s cap & trade proposal, etc., etc., etc….).

• Esquire Springville, UT
    Feb. 25, 2014 3:35 p.m.

@ Sven, I agree there were some off the wall things said about Bush (the guy who took us into two wars), but are you raising the Pee Wee Herman defense of "I know you are but what am I?" Just because someone else did it, does it make you feel better to do it too? You don't want to rise above the hate and negativity? Do you wish to continue rationalizing, or will you choose to be better? I guess in the end, it's your choice.

• Roland Kayser Cottonwood Heights, UT
    Feb. 25, 2014 4:01 p.m.

The followers of John Adams very sincerely believed that Thomas Jefferson was the anti-Christ.

• Furry1993 Ogden, UT
    Feb. 25, 2014 4:24 p.m.

@Demo Dave 1:45 p.m. Feb. 25, 2014

--------------------------

Dave -- I am now going to date myself. The entire phrase of which Ms. Collin used a part says "I couldn't care less IF I CARED AT ALL." Through usage it got shortened to "I could care less" and then mutated into "I couldn't care less." Both you and she had a correct form of the phrase, just from different times in its existence.

• patriot Cedar Hills, UT
    Feb. 25, 2014 4:32 p.m.

re:Esquire

Perhaps a trip through history would help you a bit....specifically Barack Obama's repeated, inflammatory and dishonest words toward conservatives ...or for that matter anyone who questions his policies. George Bush never ever stooped to that level and for that matter neither did Bill Clinton. With Barack it's become expected behavior. Yes we do respect the office of president and no we don't respect the current office holder. The corruption, the lies, and the recent arrogant power grab combined with the IRS ordered attacks against his detractors including even movie makers is without equal including Richard Nixon. No Barack has not earned or deserved our respect - quite the opposite. The millions of Americans who continue to suffer because of his latest lies about keeping your insurance and doctor and then his shrug of the shoulders response is typical of this sorry little man.

• UtahBlueDevil Durham, NC
    Feb. 25, 2014 5:09 p.m.

I love reading over the comments… how the very first one rallies to justify bad behavior because someone else did it. Isn't that the same logic used on play grounds - the other person did it first?

The author clearly articulates that there is blame enough on both sides. We have seen in on MSNBC. We see it with Fox, Rush, the rest of the talking heads, and even a show I do like, the Daily Show, a propensity to crude thoughtless and often false comments. And yet the first response is a full bore partisan defense of bad behavior.

None of this is new, but there was a time when being so crass was actually looked down on. Now people pride themselves in just how rude and disrespectful they can be…. justifying it all the while by "the other side did it first". It is completely possible to have respectful debate and differences…. it just seems being nasty is the preferred path of many.

What next - I know you are but what am I? Rubber - Glue … anyone?

• mohokat Ogden, UT
    Feb. 25, 2014 5:10 p.m.

@ Marxist

I also have been in the service. There were officers that I had to salute which was the uniform but that does not mean I respected them. In the present case of the CIC if I was in now I would obviously salute him although I find everything about him repulsive.

• Madsen Hall Magic Centerville, UT
    Feb. 25, 2014 5:59 p.m.

I too remember the Bush presidency when liberals accused him of lying, of being guilty of murder, and on and on. I remember the left calling for his impeachment, his death, his assassination. The left has short memories, and/or are justifying their behavior and comments a few years ago because "their man" is now president.

The left then complains that the right is treating the president poorly (just as the left did during the Bush years).

There is hypocrisy all around.

However, if we truly researched history and went back to the days of the pre-Revolution we would see and hear the same tone. This is an American tradition of debate, of smear, of mud throwing, of efforting to "win" the debate.

Have we "arrived" at a point in culture where we will no longer tolerate such debate, and such negative tones and comments? Perhaps.

We'll find out when a conservative wins the White House.

• Twin Lights Louisville, KY
    Feb. 25, 2014 7:35 p.m.

Open Minded Mormon,

Politics (of any stripe) should have no place at the pulpit or the teacher's dais.

• Madsen Hall Magic Centerville, UT
    Feb. 25, 2014 8:16 p.m.

i'll try again, as my earlier comment was flagged for review.

Both sides have demonstrated hypocrisy--supporting the president when their party holds the presidency, but strongly criticizing the president when the other party holds the position. Obviously this is an effort to weaken the opponent and attempt to control, to some degree, the political discourse and even, perhaps, legislative outcome.

Some of this is understandable. Conservative Republicans oppose Obamacare because it represents a fundamental offense to their views--government control of a huge portion of the economy (healthcare). Obamacare also intrudes upon privacy, controls behavior, introduces new taxes, controls an entire industry, penalizes opponents, to list some of the negatives.

Other progressive Republicans may have embraced Obamacare if they had been included in the process. So their opposition is based more upon being left out of the power grab. Additionally, many Republicans oppose it simply because Democrats got it through and signed into law.

Americans who oppose politics because of sincere differences should find ways to communicate their opposition without demagoguing the other side.

I was obviously guilty of demagoguery in my earlier post, which was flagged. Hopefully this one is better.

• There You Go Again Saint George, UT
    Feb. 25, 2014 10:18 p.m.

What Republicans have done for the last 4+ years will continue for the rest of President Obama's time in office.

The Republican from South Carolina who reported that it is good politics for Republicans to oppose the black guy in The White House laid bare the true motivation for what has happened during the last 4+ years.

• UtahBlueDevil Durham, NC
    Feb. 26, 2014 6:12 a.m.

"Have we "arrived" at a point in culture where we will no longer tolerate such debate, and such negative tones and comments? Perhaps"

Are you really seriously saying in order to debate a policy, or an issue, that we need to resort to name calling, personal distortions, inflammatory language, lying? That these are necessary to discuss differences?

I hope not. I really do.

• SCfan clearfield, UT
    Feb. 26, 2014 9:51 a.m.

Why is it that the Ted Nugent comment has opened the door on this issue??? We have had words unprintable on this DN site used against Sarah Palin, and Laura Ingraham by million dollar donars to the Democrat party and I didn't notice any Democrat supporters coming in to complain of this type of talk. And by the way, if any of you ever listened to Rush Limbaugh you would realize that he and the Republican Party are very far apart. But you would have to listen to him to know that. In any case I won't hear the liberals complaining about an out of line statement from a rock star when so many like statements have come from the likes of Bill Mahar and others without a peep from the left. Sorry Lois, but you are way late to this party.

• m.g. scott clearfield, UT
    Feb. 26, 2014 10:07 a.m.

Tyler D

There you go again. Using race as a undercurrent of Americans objecting to Obama. I for one and I'm sure the vast majority of Republicans/conservative in America do not criticize Obama for his race. And would love a conservative/Republican black President. It is his bad management of his office that has drawn our ire. Nugents words of course were wrong, but on the whole, our criticisms of Obama rank with the criticisms of Bush, Clinton, Bush, Reagan, Carter, ect. All are valid in a our country. And all on both sides of the isle have their defenders. Some of you think Obama is being treated unfairly compared to other Presidents. That in and of itself is a racist view. Obama deserves no better than any other President got or will get. If one thinks his race should give him special treatment, then they ought to look at themselves and ask why. Because his race doesn't matter to most in America. If it did, he would not have been elected twice. Unless you think anyone who didn't vote for him is automatically a racist. Really?

• Tyler D Meridian, ID
    Feb. 26, 2014 10:31 a.m.

@m.g. scott – “Using race as a undercurrent of Americans objecting to Obama. I for one and I'm sure the vast majority of Republicans/conservative in America do not criticize Obama for his race.”

Since I specifically said “how much of [the criticism] is based on race is anyone’s guess,” you are doing a fair amount of projection here.

And I’m curious how you know what the vast majority of conservatives think? Have you gotten inside all their heads?

I agree that Obama should not get a free pass and also that politics is and always has been a nasty game – the attacks our founders endured, from each other no less, would make your hair stand up.

But I noted a difference with Obama that you are conveniently ignoring – specifically, how he is attacked non-stop from the Right even for proposals the Right created or once supported.

Do you have a rational explanation for this fact other than a seething, visceral hatred for Obama based on… something?

• Sven Morgan, UT
    Feb. 26, 2014 10:40 a.m.

@m.g. scott

Obama has been such a dismal failure, all he and his supporters on the Left can do is charge racism for any criticism against his record:

* Obamacare
    * Real unemployment of over 14%
    * Americans on food stamps doubled since 2008
    * Benghazi ("I didn't know about it...")
    * IRS Scandal where conservative groups were harassed ("I didn't know about it...")
    * Fast and Furious ("I didn't know about it...")
    * NSA ("I didn't know about it...")
    * Solyndra and other failed "Green" Companies that Obama pumped billions of our dollars into

Obama's presidency is an unmitigated disaster, and the Left knows this. The race card is all they have.

• m.g. scott clearfield, UT
    Feb. 26, 2014 3:12 p.m.

Tyler D

I got into the head of conservatives probably in the same way that all the liberals have who believe that being a critic of Obama equates to being racist. We have no more than anecdotal evidence and projection. Therefore it should never be used to criticize the critics. So please tell your side to stop. And when Hillary runs you might add that the opposition is not being anti-women. Just anti her politics. And her over-rated husband.

Since you continue to claim that opposition to Obama is based on a "seething, visceral hatred", ( which contradicts your first point) I will just say we hate what his policies are doing to this country. If it were Gore or Kerry, we would be just as opposed.

• riverofsun St.George, Utah
    Feb. 27, 2014 1:30 p.m.

There is an ultra conservative attorney in Southern Utah who says he is a member of the prominent Utah religion. This man has been given a regular book review spot on this local morning radio station.
    When this individual substitutes for the regular radio host, his comments about President Obama rival those of Ted Nugent. Those who call into the station to make comments, cheer him on when he speaks in such a way.
    Quite pathetic.