Faith

Two LDS missionaries heading home after family dies from CO poisoning

Comments

• MoJules Florissant, MO
    Feb. 24, 2014 6:16 p.m.

My heart goes out to this young Sister and Elder, I hope that they and their close knit family will be comforted at this time of loss. I have no doubt that their family is now serving a mission on the other side of the veil. To this young man and woman, God be with you til you meet your family again.

• Grandma 20 Allen, TX
    Feb. 24, 2014 6:41 p.m.

My deepest, heart-felt condolences to the Parrish family, friends and neighbors in their great loss. May our Heavenly Father wrap you in the arms of His love and bless you with peace. God be thanked for His Beloved Son, Jesus Christ, and the great mission He fulfilled, thus bringing to us the knowledge and hope of the resurrection.

• LovelyDeseret Gilbert, AZ
    Feb. 24, 2014 7:11 p.m.

This is too sad to express in words. I pray there will be found a prevention for this silent killer.

• UrbanForester South Jordan, UT
    Feb. 24, 2014 8:29 p.m.

Such a tragedy, my heart just aches for these missionaries. To the rest of us, let this serve as the push we need to buy a carbon monoxide alarm or test the one we might already have.

• sayswho Hurricane, UT
    Feb. 24, 2014 8:33 p.m.

In spite of your faith, the loss is crushing. When you look for them to share a special moment, they're not there. They can't be included in all your special future plans. The void, many times, is overwhelming. My heart breaks for those of you whose lives have been effected by this horrible tragedy. I hope that my prayers and the support of all those that love and care for you can support you in the coming days, months, and years without your loved ones. Please lean on us when your knees feel like they are about to buckle. We care.

• ClarkHippo Tooele, UT
    Feb. 24, 2014 8:51 p.m.

How devastating. There's simply no other words to say. No doubt their extended families as well as the members of their ward, stake and community are in deep mourning today. The two surviving children are going to need much love and support. The Lord bless them in the time of deep loss.

• OnlyInUtah Cottonwood Heights, UT
    Feb. 24, 2014 9:11 p.m.

God bless and comfort these two missionaries.

• ElJefeOcho STAFFORD, VA
    Feb. 24, 2014 9:30 p.m.

Bill Parrish was my brother's best friend in high school. He was always kind, friendly, happy and caring -- with a great laugh -- and he carried those traits into adulthood. My heart breaks for his two surviving children. They will have a void in their lives that will never fully heal in this life, although their strong religious faith and wonderfully supportive extended family will help. My prayers are for all of the family members - Bill's mom, Ross's family and the many aunts, uncles and cousins, as well as the two surviving children. May God bless them all.

• Tumbleweed Centerville, UT
    Feb. 24, 2014 10:05 p.m.

This family will certainly be in my prayers tonight. May the Lord comfort them and give them the assurance that their family lives on beyond the veil.

• jfh Logan, UT
    Feb. 24, 2014 10:15 p.m.

What a heart breaking story. Please, please, please, buy a carbon monoxide detector and install it in your home.

• JulesVerne2000 Saratoga Springs, UT
    Feb. 24, 2014 10:29 p.m.

Carbon monoxide sensors should be installed in fire alarms. It would be a very smart idea and save many lives (unless you have a sudden burst of it, then nothing can be done). I am very sorry this happened. I hope that something will be done to stop or at least prevent these deaths (such as what I mentioned earlier).

• A Chem Engineer Pocatello, ID
    Feb. 24, 2014 11:33 p.m.

Very tragic - in our area, although we did not know the family.

On CO detectors - be aware that the internal sensors have a limited lifespan - around 7 to 10 years. Sometime before that the whole unit should be replaced as the sensors lose sensitivity with age.

We have kept a fresh CO detector (replacement every 5 years or so) in our home for the past 20 years. When we used to park in the attached garage, we saw the most CO in the home in winter (typically not more than 20 PPM - never exceeded the threshold value of 30 PPM though).

Hope this information helps someone.

• Dan Maloy Enid, OK
    Feb. 24, 2014 11:50 p.m.

God bless this Elder and Sister. I come from a family of 7 kids. If I lost every one of my family but a sister or a brother, I'd be devastated. To lose one or even two at the same time would be challenging. But every one except one? God will get you two through it. Our days are numbered and we should all take faith in knowing that Heavenly Father calls us home when it is truly our time. God bless you. Take courage and comfort in the Atonement of our Savior and know full well that through HIS omnipotent love and power, you will someday be reunited with your family for all eternity.

Till then.

• On the other hand Riverdale, MD
    Feb. 25, 2014 6:02 a.m.

Deepest sympathy to Elder and Sister Parrish.

A few years ago, our water heater had a serious carbon monoxide leak. Fortunately, we had a carbon monoxide detector which alerted us to the danger and probably saved our lives. If your home doesn't have a carbon monoxide detector installed on every floor, let this be your wakeup call; remedy the situation today.

• Jamescmeyer Midwest City, USA, OK
    Feb. 25, 2014 6:52 a.m.

Sometimes missionaries experience a death in the family while serving, especially to diseases such as cancer. The thought is devastating, but something like this is on an entirely different level.

I've never been a fan of gas appliances, because I'm paranoid something like this could happen.

• hockeymom Highland, UT
    Feb. 25, 2014 6:52 a.m.

This is the saddest thing I've heard in a long time. I have a missionary in the field, and I can't imagine him coming home to no family! What a blessing that the two of them have each other and their close relatives to soften the blow! We always worry for the safety of our kids out in the field - who would have thought they'd have to worry for our safety at home! Small comfort though it is, I guess we lean on the 4th verse of "Come, Come Ye Saints"!

• MormonBatman Pinson, AL
    Feb. 25, 2014 7:30 a.m.

My heart goes out to those two missionaries, who are now faced with a life-changing decision to make. I hope that they will pray and receive an answer about what to do. I will be praying for them as well.

• LittleStream Carson City, NV
    Feb. 25, 2014 7:33 a.m.

What a difficult time in these two young peoples lives. What a blessing that they know where their parents and brothers are now and that they will see them again one day. Be strong, lean on your faith. Its so important at times like these.

• Craig Clark Boulder, CO
    Feb. 25, 2014 7:56 a.m.

Not the kind of homecoming anyone leaving home expects to have. They said goodbye when they went off, not knowing it was the last time they would see them in this world. No words can express it.

• Utah Native Farmington, UT
    Feb. 25, 2014 8:37 a.m.

I am sitting here at my computer crying for you, Sister Parrish and Elder Parrish. May you be given the gift of "peace that passeth understanding" and feel the comforting influence of the Holy Ghost upholding you through this horrific time. All I know is that you will never be alone; your family is right there beside you, even if you cannot see them, and they love you still. God bless you both.

• Twin Lights Louisville, KY
    Feb. 25, 2014 8:46 a.m.

God bless these missionaries and the extended family. May they have peace.

• ImABeliever Provo, UT
    Feb. 25, 2014 8:51 a.m.

My heart goes out to them. I remember when I served in the Bolivia - La Paz mission from
    1980-1982 we had a missionary that died from affixiation from a propane gas leak.

• Thinkman Provo, UT
    Feb. 25, 2014 9:12 a.m.

This is very sad indeed.

Why is it news that the 2 children missionaries would go home following the death of a family member?

Family is most important.

• Maudine SLC, UT
    Feb. 25, 2014 11:49 a.m.

@ Lovely Deseret: There is a prevention - CO detectors are sold in many different stores and are easily installed. Unfortunately, most of us don't think this will ever happen to us and so don't invest in preventative technology. We also erroneously think that new(er) appliances in good working order are safe - unfortunately, too many appliances running at one time in a tightly sealed home can deplete oxygen levels and allow CO levels to rise to the danger point.

@ JulesVerne2000: There are some smoke detectors that have CO detectors in them. The draw back is that there are no smoke alarms that have both ionization and photoelectric technologies and contain a CO detector - so for an ideal situation you would still end up with a minimum of two alarms in each relevant area.

Some spikes in CO can be handled by the human body - it is steady high levels or increasingly high levels that are the biggest danger.

@ Jamescmeyer: It is not just gas appliances that are a problem. Any fuel burning system - gas, oil, wood, coal, charcoal - can create excessive CO. Generators used during power failures can also create excessive CO.

• suzyk#1 Mount Pleasant, UT
    Feb. 25, 2014 12:49 p.m.

This story brought so many tears and much hope for these two young family members. I can't imagine the terrible loss they are going through. I pray the Lord's choicest blessing of peace, comfort and love will be with them and their extended family members. What a heartbreaking family tragedy...oh my goodness

• Lesta Lees Summit, MO
    Feb. 26, 2014 7:22 a.m.

This is so, so sad. I've had two missionary sons, who for more than a year, served at the same time. I have another son preparing to leave. Once a Missionary Mom, always a Missionary Mom. Any sad story of a missionary, tugs at my heart. As someone else already said, you worry about those who are serving the mission, but not the family at home. I can't imagine the sorrow and the mixture of so many other emotions, that these two siblings are feeling right now. What a tragic thing to come home to.
    May God bless them both with His love and comfort, and may they feel the prayers that so many will be offering in their behalf.

• DistantThunder Vincentown, NJ
    Feb. 26, 2014 10:06 a.m.

On Day Light Savings Days in the fall and spring we are encouraged to change or test the batteries on our smoke detectors. Let's include carbon monoxide detectors. Awareness!!!

• Dizydixdaisy Saint David, AZ
    Feb. 26, 2014 11:04 a.m.

My heart can't even image the heaviness in the hearts of these two beautiful children/missionaries. I thought to share some lyrics from a song I have always loved entitled "You'll never walk alone." I am praying that you will feel the "HOPE".

When you walk through a storm
    Hold your head up high
    And don't be afraid of the dark

At the end of the storm
    Is a golden sky
    And the sweet silver song of the lark

Walk on through the wind
    Walk on through the rain
    Though your dreams be tossed and blown

Walk on walk on with hope in your heart
    And you'll never walk alone
    You'll never walk alone

• Farid @ Pocatello Pocatello, ID
    Feb. 27, 2014 9:41 a.m.

The Parrish family is one of the most well known families in Pocatello/Chubbuck. Their kindness and graciousness have touched so many.

Ten years ago, my daughter was trying to earn enough money to travel with a group to our Sister City in Japan. We came up well short and my daughter was so upset that she wasn't going to go.

Then on the last day of the drive, an envelope showed up at our house with $500 in it that covered not only the trip but expenses as well. A neighbor saw Sis. Parrish tape it to our door the night before.

The town is still in a state of shock.

• eileen shaw Fiji, 00
    March 5, 2014 3:05 p.m.

Our thought and prayers are with the Parrish and Curtis family, may you all continue to feel the love and peace that is offered so freely to each of us and especially to you all in this difficult time of your lives. To Elder Ian Parrish and Sister Jensen Parrish may you continue the beautiful work that the Lord has blessed you both with and may the atonement of our Savior mean more to you both now then it ever did. Know that you are being remembered in the isles of the sea - Fiji. our love and prayers always - Shaws Fiji

• joanbeatri Danville, CA
    Aug. 1, 2014 12:04 a.m.

I am so sorry. But I am so grateful that this faithful young brother and sister still have each other here and that are grounded in the gospel to know, without a doubt, that their family will be greeting them when they arrive on the other side. Years ago, my husband's cousin' wife and baby daughter died from Carbon Monoxide poisoning. it is tragic, and I know God will strengthen them and help them.