Faith

LDS Church urges Utah members to participate in caucuses

Comments

• toosmartforyou Farmington, UT
    Feb. 21, 2014 11:16 p.m.

This will do more to get people to the meetings than anything political "persons of influence" in either party could accomplish.

• stuff Provo, UT
    Feb. 21, 2014 11:34 p.m.

Caucuses allow citizens to be more closely involved than just going to a poll and casting a vote. Stick with the current political system!

• Mike Orem, UT
    Feb. 22, 2014 2:04 a.m.

Have fun if you happen to enjoy crowds, long waits, and so forth. I've got higher priorities to spend time on (i.e. spend time with my wife and children) than spend 2-3 hours on this again.

Especially after the last time I went to one of these meetings. It went way longer than the invitation stated (invitation said 2 hours; the meeting lasted three and a half hours), was run so inefficiently my teenagers could have done a better job, and we ended up voting several times manually (not electronically) for the same positions again and again. I was in such disbelief amid my festering frustration and aggravation I left early.

I will come back to a caucus in this state when I am satisfied this state government and its citizens are serious about running efficient caucus meetings.

• ShaunMcC La Verkin, UT
    Feb. 22, 2014 8:36 a.m.

Or if you want to make a real difference, attend the Constitution Party Caucus in your area. Most of them are being held on Thursday the 27th of March so as not to conflict with the Rs and Ds. We support the caucus system believing it to be the best way to involve those who are interested and willing to inform themselves and get involved in the process of selecting our representatives. Killing the caucuses will only make it easier for the central committees and those with lots of money to make those selections without any input whatsoever from your local neighbors and friends.

• Hutterite American Fork, UT
    Feb. 22, 2014 8:36 a.m.

If this is what it takes to get more people to the meetings than any political person of influence might be able to, it really provides some insight into really runs the place.

• DN Subscriber Cottonwood Heights, UT
    Feb. 22, 2014 8:43 a.m.

This will irritate the "count my vote" schemers who want to put the power back in the hands of party elites, wealthy candidates and the media eager for huge advertising income from eliminating the voice of people at the grass roots level.

Support the caucus system by attending and participating. It is a real eye-opening experience and empowers the average citizen.

Then, refuse to sign the deceptively named "count my vote" petition, and vote AGAINST it, if it makes it to the ballot.

Power to the people, not the media elites, party bosses and wealthy candidates!

• Say No to BO Mapleton, UT
    Feb. 22, 2014 8:47 a.m.

They'd really rather have Count My Vote but it appears letters to the congregations are the best they can do at the moment.

• isrred South Jordan, UT
    Feb. 22, 2014 9:06 a.m.

"I will come back to a caucus in this state when I am satisfied this state government..."
    The state doesn't run the caucus meetings. The parties themselves run them. And yes, they are long and frustrating and inefficiently run. We need to dump the caucus system.

• mecr Bountiful, UT
    Feb. 22, 2014 9:35 a.m.

@Mike, if the meeting was run inefficiently, did you voice your opinion about it? did you suggest them how to improve? just curious. I just want to know if they so hear your opinion during caucus or not.

• LoveLife Riverton, UT
    Feb. 22, 2014 9:45 a.m.

The only person you are hurting by not attending the caucus meeting is yourself. You are letting other people choose your representatives.

The caucus had been largely ignored up until about 2010. Those who are organizing the meetings can only go from previous experience when planning. I hosted my precinct's 2012 caucus, where we went from about 20 people in 2010 to 100 in 2012. Now that our precinct has had a large number attend, I am hoping this year we get more volunteers to help run it and a bigger room.

These things don't just magically come together. If you want to improve your meeting, contact your precinct chair or your party's planning committee and volunteer to help.

• Schnee Salt Lake City, UT
    Feb. 22, 2014 10:23 a.m.

@DN Subscriber
    I don't find it empowering to give up my vote to some other person that I just have to hope votes for the person I want in the end.

• JimmyJackJohnJones Jonestown, TX
    Feb. 22, 2014 10:45 a.m.

Um, they forgot to say, "and be sure to vote your conscience".

• GZE SALT LAKE CITY, UT
    Feb. 22, 2014 11:07 a.m.

" just going to a poll and casting a vote"? Really?

• bill in af American Fork, UT
    Feb. 22, 2014 11:17 a.m.

When the Church came out 2 years ago encouraging members to be involved, it brought a much needed moderate feel to the process. The caucus system only works when the majority of moderates in the state get involved which keeps the extremes in check. I have been a delegate numerous times since 1988 and have seen the problems with the caucus system when extremes try to control the process. Count My Vote is a much more responsible way to let all of our voices be heard; not just a select few.

• l.cee Ridgefield, WA
    Feb. 22, 2014 11:42 a.m.

Did you get that? "...church facilities and meetings are not to be used for political purposes or discussions."

No more political jabs, pleadings and snickers will go on in Gospel Doctrine classes any more.

One can only hope.

• antodav TAMPA, FL
    Feb. 22, 2014 12:22 p.m.

So basically, the Church doesn’t care who you vote for, so long as you vote for somebody.

Well all righty then. My Libertarian Party membership should pose no problem in that case, right?

Right.

• anti-liar Salt Lake City, UT
    Feb. 22, 2014 2:13 p.m.

I really don't know what to think. We had the caucuses two years ago and look how much good it did. Hatch, who nefariously went on to vote for the "Gang-of-Eight" bill among other things, and his supporters were able to use a huge, Hatch-size campaign budget to influence the elections; only he did so through the framework of the caucus system, rather than some other sort of system, but alas was able to do it. The caucus attendees had been coached well on a few, magic words, and that was that. So again, I really don't know what to think.

• technos Salt Lake City, UT
    Feb. 22, 2014 4:31 p.m.

Yes, everybody showed up last time, so much so that A bunch of people couldn't get in, it was crowded, sweaty, hot, and went way over time. I really wish the fire Marshall could close the whole shebang down. Time for the Count My Vote and let's start treating the people of Utah with respect. Rather than give into the old clique and cronies.

• J.D. Aurora, CO
    Feb. 22, 2014 6:25 p.m.

@Life,

Yes, my brother in law works at that the Church office and he said millions are leaving, but he asked me a good question. Do you want to follow the crowd or follow the leader?

• ulvegaard Medical Lake, Washington
    Feb. 23, 2014 7:14 a.m.

We are watching so much of this country eroding. Just this past week the FCC announced plans to infiltrate news organizations; including the press, with federal agents to 'monitor' them - call it what you will, but a blatant strike against the First Amendment.

We can blame such decay on our government leaders, but over the past few generations, we the people have been leaving things up to others to deal with. This is demonstrated by comments such as 'it was a waste of my time -- 3 hours'. Perhaps there is a better system - I'm not familiar with the 'Count My Vote' thing.

But what ever process is used, regular people need to start making a difference - voting is good, but apparently we need to do more than to just vote for the candidates the establishment has chosen for us.

• M. Matchette Syracuse, Utah
    Feb. 23, 2014 2:26 p.m.

As long as they have voting machines where the vote is counted in a foreign country, or not counted manually within my district from paper vote cards, I don't want any part in the establishments voter fraud scheme. You can have it!

• John Pack Lambert of Michigan Ypsilanti, MI
    Feb. 23, 2014 7:28 p.m.

The belief that primaries are better is a false belief. In many states people win primaries with well under 50% of the votes cast. Nor have I yet been convinced that participation in primaries is actually higher.

• windsor City, Ut
    Feb. 24, 2014 4:09 a.m.

I think people would be willing to "waste their time" if they felt any good came from it.

• ksampow Farr West, Utah
    Feb. 24, 2014 8:09 a.m.

DN Subscriber: Contrary to what some extremely conservative elites argue, "count my vote" is about increasing participation. This statement from the LDS church is also about increasing participation. So your comment is misguided. I am a precinct chair, leading caucus meetings regularly, and I also attend party conventions regularly. But I find it offensive that many who benefit from the current caucus system always talk like they are better at choosing candidates than the general public because they are "more committed." Family, jobs, military service, and many other reasons keep people away from caucuses - people who deserve the right to have their votes counted.

• LDS Liberal Farmington, UT
    Feb. 24, 2014 9:08 a.m.

l.cee
    Ridgefield, WA

One can only hope.

11:42 a.m. Feb. 22, 2014

=========

Agreed.
    I've walked out of Church 2 weeks in a row now from comments being in Gospel doctrine and High Priest Group.

On another note --

Funny to listen to people complain about "Count My Vote",
    and do NOTHING about "Citizens United" - leaving elections to be run and fixed by Corporations.

It's like citizens can't even see our Democrotic Republic dying and being replaced by;

Oligarchy,
    Plutocracy,
    Corporatocracy,

The Governments of Gadiatons.

• Lilly Munster netherlands, 00
    Feb. 24, 2014 9:58 a.m.

This is how it always works. First, they "suggest" that you attend. Then they "suggest" who's platform you should vote for. But under no circumstances, do they tell you "how" to vote. Could this Coercion be any more apparent?

• Brer Rabbit Spanish Fork, UT
    Feb. 24, 2014 11:32 a.m.

After so many low information voters showed up in 2012 I think that most of them learned their lesson, that politics is not for the faint in heart. Most even with LDS Church encouragement will not show up again. They just don't want to put that much effort into the political process.

The push for caucus attendance last time was more about getting Sen Hatch re-elected than anything else. The Church didn't want Sen Hatch ending up on the political ash heap along with Sen Bennett.

The LDS Church leadership along with the wealthy and political elite don't want the unwashed masses dumping their guys in Washington. This is also the motivation behind the cynical Count My Vote ballot initiative.

Utah's caucus, convention, primary is one of the best systems in the nation for selecting candidates. It allows candidates to be selected that may not be the choice of the wealthy and political elite.

In a direct primary the candidates are vetted by the wealthy and political elite. They are not vetted by the people because their direct contact with regular voters is limited.

• bandersen Saint George, UT
    Feb. 24, 2014 9:11 p.m.

I think I could fairly say that there are many here that don't understand the difference between a democracy and a republic! Count my vote is the equivalent of mob rule, something that power hungry men love because they can now manipulate the electorate with there money! The count my vote people are the establishment republicans, the patronizes, who just want the power! The people are just a hindrance to their "lofty"plans in office. They are still ticked off that the new upstart Mike Lee got in and is making a difference! Count my vote thrives on ignorance, but not here! Voice your opinion and educate yourself!