Utah

Utah bill allowing hemp use for seizure treatment clears first hurdle

Comments

• Thriller Saint George, UT
    Feb. 21, 2014 9:25 p.m.

As a conservative Mormon, I say: good.

• morpunkt Glendora, CA
    Feb. 22, 2014 9:10 a.m.

@Thriller
    Ditto.

• cjb Bountiful, UT
    Feb. 22, 2014 9:27 a.m.

Medical association opposes this bill on the grounds clinical trials don't exist showing marijuana can help with seizures?

There is more than one way to skin a cat. In the worlds tradional medicines there were no clinical trials. Yet over the centuries several societies reached great heights in their medical knowledge. Practioners learned by experience and reason. The same way people learn most everything in life.

• LovelyDeseret Gilbert, AZ
    Feb. 22, 2014 11:38 a.m.

As if the inter-mountain west doesn't have enough problems with suicide and depression, they are going to allow a drug that increases the risk of suicide and depression. Not only that but THC causes testicular cancer.
    Are we willing to trade no seizures for suicide and testicular cancer and who knows whatever else?

• RaisingTheCeiling Salt Lake City, UT
    Feb. 22, 2014 3:55 p.m.

Side effects of Marijuana(from a chronic smoker)
    -Thinking and motor skill slowed
    -Constant hunger
    -addictive

Side effects of any seizure drug on the market
    -dizziness,
    -sleepiness
    -nausea
    -headache
    -double vision
    -vomiting
    -feeling tired
    -problems with coordination
    -blurred vision and shakiness.
    -slow/shallow breathing
    -mental/mood/behavior changes (e.g., agitation, nervousness, confusion, memory loss), muscle weakness, loss of coordination,
    -shaking (tremor) of the fingers,
    -vision changes (e.g., blurred vision, double vision),
    -slurred speech
    -decrease in sexual interest
    -painful urination
    -A small number of people who take anti seizure meds for any condition may experience depression, suicidal thoughts/attempts, or other mental/mood problems.

• LDS Liberal Farmington, UT
    Feb. 24, 2014 7:23 a.m.

Thriller
    Saint George, UT
    As a conservative Mormon, I say: good.

9:25 p.m. Feb. 21, 2014

=======

As a Liberal Mormon, I say: good.

And
    If you are going to use D&C 89 and the Word of Wisdom to oppose this,
    You might want to re-read that sacred scripture--

89:10 And again, verily I say unto you, ALL wholesome herbs God hath ordained for the constitution, nature, and use of man—

11 EVERY herb in the season thereof, and every fruit in the season thereof; all these to be used with PRUDENCE and thanksgiving.

FYI :

89:9 ...hot drinks are not for the body or belly.

This Hemp oil is safer and more in line with the Word of Wisdom than even Hot Chocolate or Hot Cider.

• Redshirt1701 Deep Space 9, Ut
    Feb. 24, 2014 12:36 p.m.

While I don't oppose this bill, I still ask why we are wasting time on it.

There are already quite a few FDA approved medications that contain CBD that are legal to buy in Utah. If that wasn't enough, I can go to Amazon or other online retailers and order Hemp Oil (CBD) herbal supplements.

The question that I keep asking is why are we wasting time legalizing something that seems to already be legal?

• LDS Liberal Farmington, UT
    Feb. 24, 2014 2:45 p.m.

Redshirt1701
    Deep Space 9, Ut

12:36 p.m. Feb. 24, 2014

========

Because by the book, it's STILL illegal.

Like when you ignore the Speed Limit,
    Simply ignoring the laws of the land does make it "legal".

That's why.

I gave you a scripture Red,
    Why are not responding?

LovelyDeseret
    Gilbert, AZ

It doesn have THC in it,
    read the article and the bill.

It's safer than Diet Coke.

• LDS Liberal Farmington, UT
    Feb. 24, 2014 3:32 p.m.

Redshirt1701
    Deep Space 9, Ut

You crack me up Red.

You were the pin and spout "Libertarian" views non-stop daily,
    but when rubber hits the road,
    this clearly shows you are just a bunch of talk.

Be consistant,
    show some integrity, please.

• Redshirt1701 Deep Space 9, Ut
    Feb. 24, 2014 4:05 p.m.

To "LDS Liberal" go back and re-read my post. I said nothing about the illegal forms of Marijuana. I said, what are they trying to legalize? I can already buy CBD containing medications and herbal supplements legally in Utah. What are they trying to legalize that isn't already legal?

With a prescription I can go and purchase Marinol, or other CBD containing drugs from any Utah pharmacy. Why are we legalizing something that is already legal if the goal is to allow parents to buy CBD containing medications?

According to the Standard Examiner article "Froerer's hemp extract bill appears in the Legislature" it is already legal to buy hemp oils, lotions, and supplements in Utah.

So again, if it is already legal to buy FDA approved CBD containing medications and herbal supplements in Utah, what is being legalized here? You already have access to the CBD oils. What else do you want to obtain through this bill?