Utah

Common Core opponents warn lawmakers to act or be voted out

Comments

• Owen Heber City, UT
    Feb. 18, 2014 9:43 p.m.

We supporters of the the Utah Core expect Utah legislators to ignore this vocal minority. We expect you to listen to the majority of citizens and teachers. This is an election year. We are taking note of who is with our children and who is not, and we will be making our voices heard in the voting booth.

• teachermom6 Northern Utah, UT
    Feb. 18, 2014 10:14 p.m.

I am not a supporter of Common Core! However, everyone in this state seems to scream school reform and legislate education methodology in our schools yearly with new programs here, and teacher reforms there. It has gotten to the point of being ridiculous to be a teacher...I have never seen moral this low! The main problems in education today do not stem from lack of "programs" or poor teaching methods, they stem from the breakdown of the family. Without stability in our homes, and teachers working as a three-legged stool with students and parents nothing will ever change. What needs to happen in education will never happen under our current belief of not "hurting feelings". Teachers need accountability sure, but students and parents do as well.

• Formerspud South Jordan, UT
    Feb. 18, 2014 10:24 p.m.

As a teacher I like the standards of the Utah Core. I hope the legislators realize how much time and money have been put into creating lessons to teach these standards. I personally don't want to start over because I have too much invested in teaching them. I like that textbooks are now created for our core and not just Texas or Virginia. Check out how much the districts have paid out to implement this core before listening to the vocal minority.

• birder Salt Lake City, UT
    Feb. 18, 2014 10:49 p.m.

I think the math Common Core is a mess. It has succeeded in destroying my students' motivation to learn math. The parents don't know how to help their kids, and many new ways of doing problems are very odd. There are a few good strategies, but not enough to justify keeping the Core as it is. I'm still very suspicious of the way it was financially forced on the state education system with the threats of money removal attached.

• Janet Ontario, OR
    Feb. 19, 2014 12:52 a.m.

Teaching to the test can limit education. I am not familiar with Utah Core, but I have read the Common Core objectives, and I see nothing objectionable at all in them; the opposition is reminiscent of McCarthy-era paranoia.

• Blue Salt Lake City, UT
    Feb. 19, 2014 6:35 a.m.

To me the most compelling reason to support the Common Core is that its opponents are unable to cite specific problems with the core that make it educationally inappropriate, that there's absolutely zero evidence of it being "anti-family," and that the Common Core's opponents are the ultra-wingnut Utah Eagle Forum and Sutherland Institute.

Let's face it - if the US Department of Education suggested that students be instructed in the importance of breathing, the Eagle Forum and the Sutherland Institute would then immediately become advocates of suffocation.

• Oak Highland, UT
    Feb. 19, 2014 6:46 a.m.

Nice report Ben. However, for the couple of Common Core supporters who have posted here, there were at least 5 public school teachers who spoke at the rally last night. Teachers are seeing the issue. As "birder" noted, children are being affected by Common Core, thus Alpine school district now has a lawsuit on their hands over psychological damage that has been done to a genius student via Common Core. There is a reason the New York Teacher's Union has spoken out and called Common Core a disaster. It's far more than just standards so lets not pretend that's all it is. It encompasses assessments, data tracking, and is driving a standardization of curriculum. It's a true one-size-fits-all model and if you think every child should be forced into this robotic sequence, you should reconsider your choice of profession.

• Mick Murray, Utah
    Feb. 19, 2014 7:04 a.m.

Formerspud

• cavetroll SANDY, UT
    Feb. 19, 2014 7:11 a.m.

"This is outrageous," organizer Christel Swasey said. "This takes away our humanity. It is an affront to our souls. It is wrong."

There are a lot of things out there that takes away our humanity and are an affront to our souls. However, I suspect Common Core is near the bottom of the list on this issue.

Connor Boyack, president of the Libertas Institute, described the Common Core as "anti-family" and said Utah needs to act to reject the standards.

Why is everything a conservative doesn't agree with "anti-family"? Could somebody please explain it to me? How is Common Core "anti-family" but not corporations not paying decent living wages so that one parent can stay home and solidify the family not "anti-family"?

• Mom of 8 Hyrum, UT
    Feb. 19, 2014 7:14 a.m.

If what my children are subjected to is "Utah Core," it's abominable. I have only one child still in public school full time, and pulled two others over the unnecessarily complicated math. (I KNOW the math is Common Core; I've been researching it extensively and see the same bizarre worksheets implemented all over the country. Our family homeschool has gone back to logical Saxon Math to undo some of the damage and restore confidence in math.)

If "Utah Core" is the maker of the English pages my son, who used to be in 4th grade, used, then it's in dire need of someone with English skills to redo them. For the month my son was in public school I sent back the sheets with my own corrections (I've taught college writing for 20 years). The passages were poorly written, the questions confusing, and the grammar incorrect.

The entire curriculum, whatever "Core" it pretends to be, is untested, sloppy, illogical, and killing the desire to learn.

I'm not against standards; I'm simply against this ugly mess.

• JP Chandler, AZ
    Feb. 19, 2014 7:22 a.m.

Could anyone who objects to the Common Core please explain exactly what is wrong with it? I'd like to form an educated opinion on it, but all I ever hear against it is rhetoric.

• Steven S Jarvis Orem, UT
    Feb. 19, 2014 7:42 a.m.

@Mom of 8

That isn't common core. Its the individual school and teacher who made those because all decisions still remain locally how to meet the standards.

• Fred44 Salt Lake City, Utah
    Feb. 19, 2014 7:48 a.m.

Interesting the same groups Sutherland Foundation, Freedom Works, Eagle Forum that are fighting so hard to keep the caucuses. Me thinks they feel their stranglehold power over the state slipping away, so now we have to threaten lawmakers.

It is a great day to be a Utahn!

• Back Talk Federal Way, WA
    Feb. 19, 2014 8:14 a.m.

"I wont do it becuase it was the Government who told me to do it". Just reword the same standards and call it the Utah Core if that will make you feel better.

The critics make it sound like these standards are changing the facts of history or something. I continue to be amazed how setting learning "standards" can be so controversial.

• RBB Sandy, UT
    Feb. 19, 2014 8:14 a.m.

Mother of 8

You are righf on. My three oldest went to private schol and excelled in math. My towo youngest went to private school and s5ruggled. We then dusted off the Saxon books and they are back atthe top of the class. Folks, if your kids struggle in math, pick up the Saxon books and work with them. The "new techniques they teach with in public schools sets kids up for failure.

• Diligent Dave Logan, UT
    Feb. 19, 2014 8:16 a.m.

"The Common Core is a series of educational benchmarks, voluntarily adopted and designed to prepare students for postsecondary education and career training. They specify the minimum skills a student should learn in each grade and have been adopted by all but five states."

Oh really? And as a parent, I thought it was simply a dumbing down of the curriculum so that government could more easily control a dumbed down constituency of rubber stamp voters. Foolish me!

• elkym Provo, UT
    Feb. 19, 2014 8:17 a.m.

I have to agree with 'JP' and 'Steven S Jarvis.' Our current state of education across the country gets a really bad rap, but I'd like to see some real explanations as to what is or isn't wrong with the Common Core.
    I would agree that teaching to the test and standardizing education have their drawbacks-- but large systems do those things, and implying that they can avoid it through policy is ludicrous. Individualization happens within a context, within a frame. The Common Core, from what I can tell, attempts to make that frame more similar than it is different (from state to state).
    If there are problems, let's identify where they actually are, rather than condemning an entire system. I've studied education and administration for several years now, and the Common Core is head and shoulders above most other wide-spread programs that I've studied.
    Any new system will have issues, as 'Mom of 8' noted, but they may not be representative of the entire system, so let's be careful here. I think it will be wasted effort to move away from the Common Core. It will be much more useful to fix it.

• Ultra Bob Cottonwood Heights, UT
    Feb. 19, 2014 8:34 a.m.

The fact is that public education is no longer needed in Utah. Utah businessmen no longer need educated customers and workers. At any education level, there are ample supplies of highly motivated foreign workers available that will work for less money than Americans. Educated customers are likely to see the false advertising and other ploys and be bad for business.

For the elite, the rich and powerful, there will always be education available at costs that prevent ordinary people from competing with the elite and the rich and powerful for the positions that make people rich and powerful.

I wish that Federal government would offer public education in competition to the so-called public educations of the states and local governments. It would offer up to date education for people to live and prosper in this time and not the indoctrination of children as needed by the local business. If parents could thus choose, which would they prefer? Would parents choose an American education of the world or a Utah education for the businessmen in Utah.

• TinaMarie Logan, UT
    Feb. 19, 2014 8:35 a.m.

Mick wrote,

"Formerspud

Heaven forbid we correct a wrong because you already have your lesson plans. How about we do what is best for the kids. Isn't that what you teachers want?"

I believe what Formerspud is saying is that the curriculum has been developed by Utah, not the federal government or anyone else. I can't see what the opponents of Common Core are complaining about.

• TilleySue South Weber, UT
    Feb. 19, 2014 8:51 a.m.

I am a recent opponent to Common Core (CC). I came to this decision independently, not because of any group or person persuading me. I happen to have children in public school, and I see and help them with the work they bring home. I have noticed a change in the work that comes home since the adoption of CC. Reading assignments are full of spelling, grammatical and punctuation errors. The content is sometimes iffy or even inappropriate, and often politically charged. The language of it feels "dumbed-down." The math is illogical and confusing and unnecessary. Why do we need to teach our children three ways to perform long division? Why not teach them the most efficient method and get on with it? Having witnessed the CC curriculum first hand, and having researched where this is heading (among other thing, nationalized sex-ed.) I want out. Besides, it's unconstitutional. The Federal government should have no hand in this.

• cimsonutah Herriman, UT
    Feb. 19, 2014 8:57 a.m.

Rhetoric is all you get from the anti cc groups. The math is really no different. It seems the focus is more on a why you are performing the operation rather than just learn the algorithm. So for instance, models/pictures are used more when learning how to add, subtract, multiply, and divide fractions. Instead of just teaching the steps.
    For a lot of kids this will be difficult at first. Most are just taught to just do it, don't think about it. If you don't believe me ask a fifth graders to explain why multiplying two fractions gives you a smaller fraction. Most can't

• Danish American Payson, UT
    Feb. 19, 2014 9:12 a.m.

Is it part of Common Core that Social Studies teachers in high school teach their students that we are all born racist? I've have more than one high school student talk with me about this. And what about Kindergarten teachers having to teach about homosexuality in the class room as part of the curriculum dictated by Common Core? No a rumor, I know several teachers who have told me about having to do it. We need more local control, less centralized government control. One of the last people in the world I want having a say in education are Arne Duncan and Bill Ayers.

• Weber State Graduate Clearfield, UT
    Feb. 19, 2014 9:14 a.m.

As an educator with strong libertarian propensities, I'm literally fascinated with the level of fear that exists against the Common Core perpetuated by those with little understanding of what the Common Core really involves.

An organization called "Conservatives for Higher Standards" claims that the most commonly raised concerns about the Common Core are "rooted in misinformation or are just plain inaccurate." They have included a section on their website called Myth v Fact: Correcting Misinformation about the Movement to Raise Standards.

Even the National Review included an informational piece debunking some of the misinformation about the Common Core entitled "The Truth about Common Core." It provides an interesting perspective about this issue by one of the most ardently conservative publications available.

• Owen Heber City, UT
    Feb. 19, 2014 9:21 a.m.

The anti-family, "indoctrinate-my-children," socialist nonsense is bogus. It's how you get cowardly lawmakers to pay attention.

The horror stories shared above are not typical. And, if true, should be addressed to local administrators who have the ability to adapt the Utah Core. Problem is, administrators are not hearing them, except from the same small talking-points-driven group. It's way too easy to co-opt an anonymous forum with coordinated, prepared comments.

I beg those who have not already formed an opinion to speak to teachers, parents and administrators. Having done so, and after having read everything sent to me from both sides, it seems the ratio of students having issues with math is about the same as it ever was. The vast majority of (not already hyper-political)teachers are on board and think the standards are adaptable for the locale and individual student. Administrators (most born and bred Utah conservatives) are frustrated that a vocal, single-issue contingent of parents (many already long-time home-schoolers) have spread so much misinformation. If the Utah Core needs adjusted, let's do it for the right reasons -- after measuring real results

• Eliyahu Pleasant Grove, UT
    Feb. 19, 2014 9:22 a.m.

"Even if the Common Core effectively prepared students for college, Dayton said she would still oppose it because it was not developed by Utahns."

Is she also going to call for the rejection of textbooks not written and published here? And what about teachers who didn't grow up in the communities where they are teaching? Both might mean introducing ideas that didn't originate in Utah, and we know where that might lead.

On the other hand, she would do well to remember that the scriptures used by the majority of people here in Utah were not developed by Utahns, but written elsewhere and brought here by outsiders from back east...

• patriot Cedar Hills, UT
    Feb. 19, 2014 9:29 a.m.

It's about time people stood up to this Bill Gates promoted socialist garbage called Common Core.

• lixircat Indianapolis, IN
    Feb. 19, 2014 9:45 a.m.

Why does the Common Core even exist?
    The stated goal is to better prepare students for college or other job training. That implies that something is wrong with the current system. The "enlighten elites" are setting these standards and suggesting curriculum for you because "you poor uneducated folks out in Utah just aren't smart enough to do it on your own."

• michaelitos Salt Lake City, UT
    Feb. 19, 2014 10:12 a.m.

Common Core = Higher Standards
    Common Core = College and Career Readiness
    Common Core = Better for Utah Kids

Those that oppose it need to better research what it is and what it is not. It does not proscribe curriculum. It does not take away local control.

It does encourage an integrated approach to education. It does set high standards to encourage our students to be ready for what comes after graduation. It does mean that teachers and students will have to elevate our level of education.

I support the standards of the Common Core because I care about Utah kids, and I will be voting for representatives that do, too!!!

• Schwa South Jordan, UT
    Feb. 19, 2014 11:18 a.m.

Yes, we can't go teaching our children to think for themselves now. They might start to question the other things they've been told!

• RedShirt USS Enterprise, UT
    Feb. 19, 2014 11:32 a.m.

To those of you that continue to support CC, and want to understand why so many are opposed to it, you have to look at it from an actual learning perspective.

For example, part of the CC for first grade has them reading books, then writing predictive essays and persuasive essays. Yes this sounds like a great thing for them to do, but unless you have 1 teacher to every 5 kids and a lot of time to spend with each child, this is nearly impossible. Just ask a 6 or 7 year old child predict the ending of a book and explain their reasoning verbally. Better yet, ask them to give you a persuasive argument about they liked the book verbally. Very few children in first grade could do that verbally, now you add in the complexity of writing down their toughts.

The problem of presenting material before children are prepared for it is all over the CC standards. On top of that, they sacrifice learning and mastering the basics before going on to the next topic.

For example in math, few 3rd and 4th grade children can do simple multiplication and division, the standards push higher concepts without mastery of the basics.

• deserthound Salt Lake City, UT
    Feb. 19, 2014 11:34 a.m.

More tea party drivel from know-nothings. That would be people who know nothing about which they claim to know everything. Just like the legislator who claims to know more about climate and carbon dioxide than the roughly 8,000 scientist around the world whose careers are dependent on quality science and credibility, the anti-CORE people have not a clue. And if you ask any of them what is it specifically within the CORE program that will hurt their kids, they can't tell you. Facts are hard on these folks.

• docport1 ,
    Feb. 19, 2014 11:48 a.m.

Here again we have a bunch of ultra conservatives who know nothing about education and everything about obstructionism trying to interfere with education, again. Common core is so superior to No Child Left Behind and gets back to the way we used to be able to teach school 30 years ago. You know, 30 years ago…that's when all these same people who are protesting said we should go back to and once again start teaching the basics!

• Danish American Payson, UT
    Feb. 19, 2014 11:58 a.m.

"Just like the legislator who claims to know more about climate and carbon dioxide than the roughly 8,000 scientist around the world whose careers are dependent on quality science and credibility."
    So now Common Core and climate change are the same? All the more reason to get rid of it. I'd like documentation on the 8,000 plus their careers are dependent upon government grants not sterling science. I've not had one scientist be able to tell me when the earth stopped making fossil fuels nor have they explained the cause and effect of carbon dioxide. The way to spot the real truth is to follow the money. Who has become rich off the climate change scheme?

• JMHO Southern, UT
    Feb. 19, 2014 12:09 p.m.

In an earlier post someone asked why schools need to teach three different ways to do long division. The answer is simple. Every child looks at the world differently. Teachers are trying to reach as many of the children in their classroom as possible. Maybe you could argue that most kids learn math in a linear progression. However, if teachers only teach one method, then we alienate a lot of students and we stifle creativity. It is amazing how a lot of spatially oriented people have been told they are bad at math which is simply not the case. They are bad at linear oriented teaching of math. When they are given more options and methods to approach a problem, they find they do quite well.

• nonceleb Salt Lake City, UT
    Feb. 19, 2014 12:22 p.m.

Common Core seems to have brought out all sorts of craziness. Likely most opponents do not even now what it really is. Comments are made like it is from the federal government so it must be bad. It has been called "communism" and "socialism." I would consider the problems with it if these opponents gave concrete examples of why it is so evil. Is not raising academic standards, especially in math and science, a good thing regardless of its source?

• one old man Ogden, UT
    Feb. 19, 2014 12:34 p.m.

The truth is that Common Core is not much different than Utah Core Standards which have been in place and used for more than twenty years.

This is nothing but more conservative fear mongering.

• RedWings CLEARFIELD, UT
    Feb. 19, 2014 1:24 p.m.

Education Boards have lost their mission. Educators are employees of the parents. If you are not performing your job, we as parents should be able to fire you and hire someone else. To think that parents are accountable to the state for education is crazy. The state did not give me my children. God did. I am accountable to God for their education.

I am more qualified than a C average college grad to educate my own children. Thankfully in Utah we as parents can still pull our children from a broken education system and get them ready for the world.

• RedWings CLEARFIELD, UT
    Feb. 19, 2014 1:35 p.m.

@ TillySue:

Actually, the students under Common Core are told by the teachers not to ask their parents for help. They are encouraged to complete the work in class.

I hope all who are attributing the opposition to Common Core actually look at this issue. This is not "tea party fear mongering". I am a life-long Democrat and have never voted for a Republican presidential candidate. What I see is an attack on children, parents, and families by an elite, rich minority that has pushed this program with the promise of subsidy dollars to states.

Why did we not get to vote on adopting Common Core? It was agreed to by Gov. Herbert, not parents or teachers. It will not help us catch the Japanese and Germans. It will indoctrinate our kids into a certain political perspective to the detriment of our country's future....

• Phoegs Murray, UT
    Feb. 19, 2014 1:34 p.m.

@birder Same exact story with my child. LOVED math and is now totally frustrated.

• Phoegs Murray, UT
    Feb. 19, 2014 1:59 p.m.

@elkym and JP. Your question is too huge to answser in a post, but problem is that teachers are loosing the ability to teach to the kids in that particular class. Some lessons have to be strictly followed and in a certain time frame. What happens when some kids don't understand or the entire class? They still must move on. (This is the case with previous programs too.) I think the most disconcerting thing is we adopted these standards for $ and they weren't even written yet. AND it was never tested. Our kids are the guinea pigs. The arguement for CC is "college ready" but it just doesn't seem to be true. As for math, I see my child 2 years behind since CC than we were at that age.
    Also, see how the business world is in on this. See Bill Gates comment the CC will give us "a large uniform base of customers." Then see the monopoly the text book companies will be creating. I must reiterate, "This was NEVER tested anywhere."

• Phoegs Murray, UT
    Feb. 19, 2014 2:02 p.m.

@pheogs see Bill Gates at the National Conference of State Legislatures (clip 5) on youtube

• PhotoSponge nampa, ID
    Feb. 19, 2014 3:16 p.m.

To Owen: Why should they listen to the majority now; they haven't in the past when the MAJORITY of Utahans voted for marriage between one man and one woman. On Common Core, the majority has been led astray. The more the Feds are in it, the more you lose.

• Ultra Bob Cottonwood Heights, UT
    Feb. 19, 2014 3:28 p.m.

RedWings.

I think there's some truth in the old saying, You can fool some of the people all the time, you can fool all of the people some of the time, but you can't fool all of the people all of the time.

Which is more important to you? Your Childs health? Your Childs nutrition? Your Childs education? Your Childs religion? Your Childs physical abilities? Etc.

Do you not seek and accept the best advise and ability that you can find for assistance is carrying out your responsibility and accountability to God?

Do you get to vote on medical procedures? Do you not depend and expect that the service you receive will be determined by others who are educated and experiences.

If you seek advise on an important subject, would you ask one person, two, a state, a nation or the whole world? I would ask as many as I could.

• Utefan60 Salt Lake City, UT
    Feb. 19, 2014 3:34 p.m.

I sat next to a professor at the University of Utah this morning at breakfast. I asked him what he though about Common Core? He said it is about time that the United States have standards of learning for education. He said that the most frustrating thing to him is students in University Classes that can't read, write of even understand anything but pulp fiction novels. He said that the people who are opposing Common Core must not know anything about it! He said it elevates standards so we can compete in the Global World. Americans are falling behind. He said that a good portion of Student Loans are for remedial classes so these students can graduate. This all should have been required before entering the University.

• 2yearn Lehi, UT
    Feb. 19, 2014 5:18 p.m.

Common Core was voted for before it was developed and then implemented nationwide. This is grossly irresponsible. You need to see it before you approve it and then test it and get the bugs out and then implement. It is anti-family because it doesn't let the parents have a say on what and how things are taught. You can't see the tests or teaching materials because they don't want you to see the socialist philosophy being taught. They are giving the schools more right and say to how the child is raised than the parents in everything from whether or not the child is released for doctor appointments to whether or not the child has access to contraceptives. It is anti-family because it is based on socialism and socialism is about replacing the family with the state. It has more control over people that way. It is ten times a bigger train wreck than Obamacare. But then should we be surprised? It has been created by the same maker. I do not support Common Core even if you rename it Utah Core.

• Kermit Kaysville, UT
    Feb. 19, 2014 6:02 p.m.

I especially loved what three of the one common core haters in this article said that she does not like the core because "it is an affront to humanity" (Christel Swasey) and that "Utahns did not write it" (Dayton), and that it was "anti-family" (Boyack).

Was the U.S. Constitution written at the state level, which calls for a common defense and lots of other "common" things? The common core came from educators, state administrators, and professors of pedagogy, from many, many states, as they sought to unify what is taught at each grade level. For example, students at the end of 1st grade will be able to write a topic sentence and three supporting sentences on that topic. Wow! How scary is that! My goodness! Run away! The common core has required us to raise our educational standards in Utah. It helped us to unify the language/terms we were using in our elementary and secondary schools. It is a raising of the bar for us. Read it for yourself at core standards dot org.

• Unreconstructed Reb Chantilly, VA
    Feb. 19, 2014 6:12 p.m.

"'Common Core' is a front for world socialism."

Come on, Joseph McCarthy's been dead for almost 60 years. Yelling about the perils of socialism seems to be the strongest argument the opponents of Common Core can make, but it is a far cry from being an actual argument.

• Tensen Bluffdale, UT
    Feb. 19, 2014 7:39 p.m.

These are my problems with Common Core: 1) The Obama Administration went around Congress and State Legislators by having Governors sign up for this before they even knew what was in it. They were forced into making a deal with the devil or they wouldn't get their millions in stimulus money. 2) 90% of CC expenses are born by the state, but the State Legislators never got to vote on this. 3) Incredibly enough, the State School Board committed to CC before the standards were even written. 4) CC is completely run by special interest groups who will profit exponentially as the years go by. 5) The curriculum is mediocre and cannot be changed in the slightest because it is controlled by the Federal government. I could go on and on....but do I really have to? Do we understand how dangerous it is to have a NATIONAL EDUCATION SYSTEM WHERE THE PARENTS LOSE ALL CONTROL OVER WHAT THEIR CHILDREN ARE LEARNING? Shame on all of you who say so much money has been spent and that is a reason to keep it. Ask Communist countries how well they like having no say over what the government teaches their children.

• socialtanderson Oak City, UT
    Feb. 19, 2014 8:12 p.m.

Any education system that promotes the government interfering my childs education by tracking their mental and behavioral statuses, making teachers afraid to speak out about its inefficiencies, takes away creativity, art, PE, recess, and science to promote a student learning how to test instead of skills that will foster a desire to learn, entrepreneurship, ideas of the future, etc., is not for our kids. Run of the mill students won't get our country anywhere. Kids that cant get into the best universities because the curriculum put them behind, is not for our kids. Kids that cant critically think or brainstorm because they have been taught to follow is not what we want. In fact studies show that our country fostered more business creation, creativity, entrepreneurship, and economic development BEFORE standardized tests and teaching kids to "test".

• Jil York, SC
    Feb. 19, 2014 9:39 p.m.

Thank you Utah for taking a stand against common core. It is encouraging to know South Carolina is not alone in this. We feel if people realized the implications of the program they would fight it for all they were worth waving a flag for freedom! Please do not be complacent about this.

• Weber State Graduate Clearfield, UT
    Feb. 20, 2014 6:41 a.m.

From the National Review Online, perhaps the most conservative, anti-Obama, anti-socialist publication available:

"As education scholars at two right-of-center think tanks, we feel compelled to set the record straight...Common Core offers American students the opportunity for a far more rigorous, content-rich, cohesive K–12 education than most of them have had. Conservatives used to be in favor of holding students to high standards and an academic curriculum based on great works of Western civilization and the American republic. Aren't they still?"

The misinformation, distortion, and misplaced fear about the Common Core is absolutely astounding.

• JennyMarieHatch Cedar City, UT
    Feb. 20, 2014 8:20 a.m.

New York educators are now suggesting a pause in implementation.
    I wish there had been more open and honest debate before the changes were made.

Jenny Hatch
    Homeschooling Mom in Cedar City

• Xerxes Payson, UT
    Feb. 20, 2014 9:30 a.m.

I'm saddened to see so many unthoughtful comments, but if readers are interested in facts rather than personal attacks please read the following articles and refute the points there. Unfortunately constricted forums often generate more heat than light.

Please google the following articles "What is Common Core: 101 Christel" an "Not with my child you won't" for some excellently cited/researched/referenced articles.

• JBQ Saint Louis, MO
    Feb. 20, 2014 10:11 a.m.

Common Core is a "Trojan horse" of the left.

• cavetroll SANDY, UT
    Feb. 20, 2014 11:29 a.m.

@JBQ

Your entire post contains a lot of hyperbole and "chicken little" arguments. How is Common Core a "front for world socialism"? What does Common Core have anything to do with religious standards or gay marriage? Can you please explain using facts and not your personal opinion?

• cavetroll SANDY, UT
    Feb. 20, 2014 2:15 p.m.

@JBQ
    "Common Core is a "Trojan horse" of the left."
    Care to elaborate so the rest of us can be enlightened?

• metisophia Ogden, UT
    Feb. 21, 2014 5:30 p.m.

Love, hate, or care less about the common core -- or Utah core as it was named a couple of years ago. The standards are not the problem. Some of them are questionable -- especially for the younger grades; many of them are misunderstood -- see those who complain about teaching materials as if they actually were the standards.
    But the problem is the testing -- the COST of the testing, especially! About $38 million was paid to a firm to help develop the new tests. Millions have been and millions more are proposed to be spent on the computers, programs, band width, etc that the new tests are made to be used on. Countless hours that could have been spent on teaching and learning are devoted to having our children sit in front of a computer screen to take a test that essentially tells us exactly what the teachers could have told us about the knowledge and skills of each student already.
    I really can't believe that I actually agree with one of the ideas of the nut-job groups that oppose the CC.
    When it comes to the testing, OPT OUT!!!!! Refuse to be part of the testing scam.

• Flashback Kearns, UT
    Feb. 22, 2014 10:03 a.m.

I'd be more worried about some of the text books that Common Core uses than Common Core itself. As part of my high schools Community Council, I've seen a couple of the history books suggested by Common Core and there is a lot of revisionist history in these text books. There is a definate lean to the left in these books. Especially where more modern history is concerned. Fact not fiction.

• ulvegaard Medical Lake, Washington
    Feb. 22, 2014 10:30 a.m.

Word is here in the state of Washington that CC sends home questionnaires for kids' parents to fill out asking about political affiliation, religious beliefs and so forth; which, though I am not ashamed of my lifestyle, I don't think it needs to be used by the school district.

I have learned by experience that when ever someone announces a 'new program' to solve problems that it is usually a money pit. More often than not, the best solution is to go back to basics and work the problem - rather than to invent new ways to help students feel better about numbers, colors and vocabulary.

We have a kindergartner who is burnt out on school. He is expected to do 2 hours of homework every day, he leaves home at 7:30am gets home at 3:30pm --- dead tired, wanting to play and there just isn't enough hours in the day. New education isn't working, no matter what you call it: CC, No Child Left Behind. Lets get back to basics.

• kiddsport Fairview, UT
    Feb. 24, 2014 12:46 p.m.

Apparently the defenders of CC don't read through all the comments before asserting opponents are scare-mongering and uninformed because I have read a number of comments with references and details similar to what I have found in my own research.
    One thing I found was a statement by a famous world leader in education: "Give me four years to teach the children and the seed I have sown will never be uprooted. Give us the child for 8 years and it will be a Bolshevik forever."
    Vladimir Lenin
    Deja vu, anyone?

• Nan BW ELder, CO
    Sept. 23, 2014 9:57 p.m.

I am totally and firmly against Common Core. It is another way of "dumbing down" and we are dumb to allow the federal government to take over our rights.