High school boys basketball: 5A/4A/1A state tournament pairings

Comments

• Th Tooele, UT
    Feb. 18, 2014 3:53 a.m.

Tough draw for Grantsville! Especially for a 1 seed!

• zelmob57 Vernal, Ut
    Feb. 18, 2014 8:22 a.m.

If Gabe Colosimo did break his leg as another poster stated, Grantsville's draw appears to be as good as can be hoped for given there is no apparent soft opponent in Region 9.

• JohnRoberts Richfield, UT
    Feb. 18, 2014 10:21 a.m.

How are Richfield, North Sanpete, and Juab going to be able compete with these size of schools? This Class 3A classification is a little screwed up in my opinion.

• The Short Bus St. Johns, NFL
    Feb. 18, 2014 10:52 a.m.

wow tough draw for manti. how they going to compete against the large schools like parowan

• B-BALLER SLC, UT
    Feb. 18, 2014 2:44 p.m.

Their will always be teams/schools that will complain about school size, being fair/unfair. The only real way to help that is to divide into 10 classifications with 10 teams in each class. And that wont happen...Just deal with it and enjoy the experience. Dont make it worse by complaining. Nuff said.

• Bulldog26 Gunnison, UT
    Feb. 18, 2014 4:26 p.m.

@ TheShortBus - The real question is how is Manti even in 2A? They are double the size of most of the other 2A schools.

• carver Enterprise, UT
    Feb. 18, 2014 8:09 p.m.

Hey John Roberts; A lot better question than yours would be how do schools like Parowan, Enterprise and Kanab compete with schools like Richfield and the turn around and play the state tourney in Richfield?? Better question or not?

• Bulldog26 Gunnison, UT
    Feb. 18, 2014 9:58 p.m.

@ Carver - Richfield is not even in 2A basketball this year. Richfield (SVC) is an excellent place for the state tourney.

• 1A-all the way SLC, UT
    Feb. 19, 2014 9:25 a.m.

Size is overrated and is an excuse to some schools. Sure, if it is 1000 to 100, not fair. But many 1A basketball teams with an enrollment of 100 do consistently beat 2A teams with enrollments 3, 4 to 5 times bigger. Just being twice the size doesn't really make that much of a difference. Only 5 can be on the court...

Just Play Ball

• carver Enterprise, UT
    Feb. 19, 2014 9:33 a.m.

@ Bulldog26

My point being; Richfield is up and down from 3A to 2A. So they have been in 2A; and now they are in the same boat as the smaller schools in 2A as they all had to compete against them at SVC. Three times as big as a lot of the smaller schools in 2A.

• Bulldog26 Gunnison, UT
    Feb. 19, 2014 9:53 a.m.

@1A-all the way - Just curious, who are the schools that you reference?

@carver - Point taken. I agree 100% with you on Richfield and Manti. Hey...if you have a Wal-Mart, probably too big for 2A! :)

• HTSJCCAFALG Richfield, UT
    Feb. 19, 2014 10:19 a.m.

Name a state title Richfield has ever won playing at the SVC in Richfield? It has not been a kind location for the Wildcats. We've won a few "on the road" but never on the SVC....Just saying' not a valid point.

The size thing is what it is, b ut I find it interesting that in a time where we talk about school costs, transportation costs, budgets etc....that the only schools that matter when it comes to these issues live on the Wasatch Front. Last year in 2A Richfield had an entire REGION closer to them than some of the people in their region. Also there is a difference when playing 150 to 450 than 450 to 1200. I agree that basketball is just "5 on 5" but try football or fielding girls soccer, tennis, volleyball AND cross country in the Fall. It makes a huge difference.

• 1A-all the way SLC, UT
    Feb. 19, 2014 11:50 a.m.

Panguitch this year is 3-0 against 2A schools and above .500 against them the last 4-5 years
    Monticello this year is 3-1 against 2A schools this year, and a above .500 the last couple years
    Rich is 5-1 against 2A and 3A this year and above .500 the last few years
    Bryce Valley is 2-3 against bigger schools this year and above .500 the last 5-6 years.
    and a few other compete, and win year in and year out against bigger schools.

The same thing happens with 2A vs 3A

• Bulldog26 Gunnison, UT
    Feb. 19, 2014 1:25 p.m.

@1A-all the way - Thanks for the information. Greatly appreciated.

Just a couple of thoughts...Panguitch could probably compete at the 2A level in basketball and baseball. They probably aren't much different in size than the smaller 2A schools. I assume they are one of the larger 1A schools.

As for Monticello, they have bounced in and out of 2A over the years. Like Panguitch, they are one of those teams right on the bubble, but definitely a larger 1A school.

As for Rich, they are just amazing! With the size of school and the small student population, they are very successful. Something good going on there for sure.

• Lifelong 1A Fan Cedar City, utah
    Feb. 19, 2014 2:34 p.m.

@Bulldog26 -- Just how big do you think Panguitch is? I know a lot of people think that the enrollment at Panguitch High School is bigger than what it is, but they average about 32 students a class. This year's graduating class has 24 students. The UHSAA uses 10-12 grade numbers. Based upon these facts, Panguitch has less than 100 students in their school. With the 2A cutoff being at 159, Panguitch is well below the "bubble." Check you facts before you comment. Saying a team is on the bubble just because they are competitive is false and misleading. What is the average class size of those 2a teams Panguitch beat? Specifically, North Sevier, Parowan, and Enterprise. While you at it, what is the average class size of Gunnison?

• I know you Cedar City, utah
    Feb. 19, 2014 2:43 p.m.

@ Bulldog26

"They (Panguitch) probably aren't much different in size than the smaller 2a schools." Really? Where did you pull those numbers from? I know that the graduating class this year has around 25 seniors. Average class size around 30. That puts their enrollment less than 100. I guess you assume that the enrollment at Panguitch is larger because they have 10 motels and a stop light. You continue to bounce around on these articles providing comments with no facts.

• Bulldog26 Gunnison, UT
    Feb. 19, 2014 4:25 p.m.

@Lifelong 1A fan - I was in no way trying to be negative towards Panguitch. They have a tremendous reputation of always competing in all sports. I also re-read my post and I did not quote any hard numbers, I only made some assumptions. The numbers that I have found show an enrollment of around 130 students. I stand corrected in that they are smaller that I had thought. Again, it was never intended as an insult or to be negative in any way.

As a point of reference the enrollment at San Juan is approximately 400, N. Sevier is 325, and Parowan is 325. Gunnison is currently around 325, with an average class size around 80-90 students.

• Bulldog26 Gunnison, UT
    Feb. 19, 2014 4:35 p.m.

@I know you - Again, there was nothing negative that intended at all in my assumptions of the size of Panguitch. I assumed that their enrollment was bigger than it currently is. My apologies. Again, they are a great school that has a great tradition of winning in all sports.

I do take offense to your last statement. Comments and opinions that are shared are just that, comments and opinions. I certainly do not purposely try to mis-lead or share false information. Yes, I do like to share my opinions and try to keep them as factual as I can. If I am wrong, I will gladly eat some crow and go on. Please understand it is not in any way intended to be negative or demeaning. If it is taken that way, it is certainly not mean to be so.

• Rocketman1986 Gunnison, UT
    Feb. 19, 2014 7:07 p.m.

My predictions for the 2A play-in games: (Winners in parentheses)

Emery (15-6) vs. Rockwell (11-11) (Emery)
    South Summit (17-4) vs. Beaver (13-7) (South Summit)
    North Summit (12-10) vs. Enterprise (15-7) (North Suumit)
    Merit Academy (11-5) vs. Grand (11-9) (Grand)

Lower bracket

Manti (7-13) vs. Parowan (15-6) (Manti)
    South Sevier (9-12) vs. L. Christian (17-7) (South Sevier)
    Rowland Hall (8-10) vs. Wasatch Academy (22-1)(Wasatch)
    Delta (9-10) vs. Gunnison (15-4) (Gunnison)

• CTJ fan Salt Lake City, UT
    Feb. 19, 2014 9:48 p.m.

Bulldog 26, are you really talking size of schools right now? Let's see Gunnison played in the state championship in basketball last year and 15-4 this year, and your big complaint is against Manti? For many years Manti was the smallest school in 2A and we competed and didn't complain at all. We played Lehi for the state championship one year, who was more than double our size. The only ones who have any right to complain, is a North Sanpete who has to compete in the 3A which is a much bigger disparity!

I do believe however that they should keep the the extra 3A division in all sports and not just football. Personally I'd rather compete against the best possible schools. It just doesn't make sense why they'd do it for just 1 sport, it can't be that hard to keep the extra classification for all sports.

And Bulldog 26 you don't make Gunnison look good at all by complaining about the size. What you should be complaining about is having to play a private school that can openly recruit! That's why you won't win a title this year, not because of Manti!

• Bulldog26 Gunnison, UT
    Feb. 19, 2014 10:24 p.m.

@CTJ Fan - Just a couple points of clarification. First, I only suggested that Manti and Richfield should be in 3A because of their size. I never said that was the reason why Gunnison wasn't winning state titles. Currently both of those schools are right around 600 students. Gunnison, in comparison, is about 325. Secondly, if you have seen some of my other posts I do have some very strong opinions about private schools, but that is for another post.

For my information, what years are you talking about when Manti was the smallest school in the 2A clasification?

• carver Enterprise, UT
    Feb. 19, 2014 11:10 p.m.

@ Rocketman 1986

Thanks for all the support for region 13.

• Ironmomo Ogden, UT
    Feb. 20, 2014 6:47 a.m.

I sure wish we were back in 3A or maybe even 2A where our coach could maybe compete. Going 0-21...yippeee.

• Rocketman1986 Gunnison, UT
    Feb. 20, 2014 7:34 a.m.

@ carver - Here is my rationale for the upsets:

Enterprise was playing very well until the last three games of the season. Yes, they did beat Parowan very easily. But losses against Beaver and Delta seemed to show some slow down. If the Braves defense can stop, or even slow down Prisbrey, Enterprise will struggle. If he does have a game, North Summit's season will be over.

As for the Parowan game, if anyone has big guys that can match-up with them it is Manti. That one comes down to front court play and whoever wins the paint. I do think it will be a battle either way.

South Summit will easily handle Beaver. I think that one is a clear cut game.

I am a little biased towards Region 16, but I could also see Region 13 playing strong.

• JD Books Sulphurdale, UT
    Feb. 20, 2014 8:50 a.m.

I think the SS Rams will play the spoiler in the tournament. One of the top five coaches in the state plus the tradition, which counts for a lot at state. They could very well meet Wasatch Academy again in the final. Parsons has held his cards close to his chest and I am sure will have a great strategy against all comers.

• Bulldog26 Gunnison, UT
    Feb. 20, 2014 9:52 a.m.

@JD Brooks - Good to have you back! I knew you would come out of retirement to support your Rams.

• Rocketman1986 Gunnison, UT
    Feb. 20, 2014 10:04 a.m.

@ JD Brooks - I predicted that S. Sevier would win their opening rounds game over Layton Christian. Can they do it?

• KD35 Enterprise, UT
    Feb. 20, 2014 10:08 a.m.

@Rocketman1986
    Thanks for the motivation for region 13. And your point isnt very good, you say that enterprise hasnt been playing good as of late, but what about gunnison? Also north summit last lost was to summit academy who didnt even make the tournament. Ya beaver did trip enterprise up and then they came out and blew out parowan for the region, and then there game against delta was a throw away game.

• JD Books Sulphurdale, UT
    Feb. 20, 2014 10:29 a.m.

they played in the preseason and Layton Christian won by over 10 if I remember correctly. SS plays a more disciplined brand of basketball which is something that Layton Christian struggles with at times. I say SS by 5.

• Rocketman1986 Gunnison, UT
    Feb. 20, 2014 10:44 a.m.

@KD35 - Nothing negative towards Region 13, just a Region 16 fan. Enterprise will go as far as Prisbrey can take them. North Summit is a very fast, streaky team who can play some great defense. This is no knock on Enterprise, I just see the Braves as a scary team. I agree they had a great win against Parowan, but losses against Beaver and Delta have shown that their is a chink in their armor.

South Summit will easily handles Beaver. The interesting game will be the Parowan / Manti game. That one will be a battle of the big men.

As for Gunnison, they will have to be on their "A" game against Delta. They have struggled later in the season, but have some great pressure wins against Manti in the last two weeks. They will have to show up for sure in the play-in game or their season may be over.

• 2afan Layton, UT
    Feb. 20, 2014 10:52 a.m.

@JD Books- Very accurate insight. Will be a good match of styles.

• Rocketman1986 Gunnison, UT
    Feb. 24, 2014 9:36 a.m.

Just some quick follow-up on my predictions:

My predictions for the 2A play-in games: (Winners in parentheses)

Emery (15-6) vs. Rockwell (11-11) (Emery)
    The Spartans showed up and easily won. They looked good!
    South Summit (17-4) vs. Beaver (13-7) (South Summit)
    The Beavers gave them everything they wanted, but ran out of gas. Not sure the Wildcats get past the Spartans.
    North Summit (12-10) vs. Enterprise (15-7) (North Suumit)
    Enterprise came to play!
    Merit Academy (11-5) vs. Grand (11-9) (Grand)
    The Red Devils had them by as much as 15 and couldn't close the deal.

Lower bracket

Manti (7-13) vs. Parowan (15-6) (Manti)
    Templars were up 6 with 1:20 to go and found a way to lose.
    South Sevier (9-12) vs. L. Christian (17-7) (South Sevier)
    Rams came to play.
    Rowland Hall (8-10) vs. Wasatch Academy (22-1)(Wasatch)
    Wasatch was scary good! They are fun to watch!
    Delta (9-10) vs. Gunnison (15-4) (Gunnison)
    Started very good for Delta, but the Bulldogs got them in the end.

• The Short Bus St. Johns, NFL
    Feb. 24, 2014 11:21 a.m.

yep I knew it. first round and out. come on uhsa Manti is suppose to be in the championship every year in every sport. you can't treat us like that. do something next year so we can compete.

• The Authority Richfield, UT
    Feb. 25, 2014 10:29 a.m.

Ha, ha! The faces change, but not the names.

I predict SS will make it to the final game against Wasatch Academy, and then abruptly stop playing in the third quarter and complain that "it's too hard."

Seriously, of all the teams to protest one team's dominance, it is not South Sevier. They're finally living in a world where they are not the sure thing, and they whine about it.

• JD Books Sulphurdale, UT
    Feb. 25, 2014 4:13 p.m.

South Sevier will be down a bit for a couple of years but their younger grades have won every tournament they have played in since fifth grade. They won't be down long.

• CincyRed13 SLC, UT
    Feb. 26, 2014 10:14 a.m.

Go Olympus Titans!!

• RBN Salt Lake City, UT
    Feb. 26, 2014 1:50 p.m.

Never thought I would see so many comments regarding the relative strengths of Panguitch basketball.

• Landon F. Huntington, UT
    Feb. 26, 2014 6:16 p.m.

So many complaints/complainers. Play your best wherever you're placed. No one wins by complaining. Let the kids go out and have fun and play their hardest. Take Emery for example. They have been a declining enrollment school for many years. They competed against Lehi(then the largest Utah school, placed in 5A the next realignment), Salem Hills(the next year placed in 4A), and the now non-existent Granite(with the enrollment numbers would be the top in today's 4A) in their region to name a few. Year after year they competed in 3A with schools close to two times their enrollment or more and now placed where their declining numbers should be 2A. The cutoff has to be somewhere so some schools will be at the top and others at the bottom. Every school for the 2013-2015 was placed where they needed to be. If they don't do well it is because they don't have the skills to compete not because they don't have the enrollment numbers. The UHSAA is improving every time. Will it ever satisfy everyone? No but you can learn to do and play your best in spite of it.

• gamer PROVO, UT
    Feb. 27, 2014 12:28 a.m.

To many of you readers/commenters- I apologize bc I don't know really anything about 1A-3A ball.

Bountiful is way better than any other team in 4A. Something crazy would have to happen for them to lose.

The 5A tournament is gonna be the most competitive one Utah has seen in 5A in a long time. Any 5 teams could win -with 2-4 D-1 players on each team. LP (3) AF (3) Alta (2) Davis (2) PG (2)

It's hard to bet against players like Haws and. Jackson at LP. But AF, Alta, Davis, and PG will give'em a run for their money.

• Me, Myself and I The Promised Land, UT
    Feb. 27, 2014 8:18 a.m.

@Landon F

I agree with most of your post, play ball and take your lumps when you lose,celebrate when you win. I will disagree with this point though, that all schools currently placed where they should be. No school should compete in two different classifications, unless it's the 1A schools who play football and want to play baseball, since 1A's baseball season is in the fall. That should be the only exception.

• Me, Myself and I The Promised Land, UT
    Feb. 28, 2014 10:08 a.m.

I don't think anyone will read this considering no one has commented on this thread since I did yesterday. For those siting enrollment numbers, the UHSAA doesn't use total enrollment, they use the top three classes, Soph., Jr., Sen. So neither Manti (439) or Richfield (506) are around 600 kids as far as the way classifications are decided. On the flip side though Gunnison (252) is significantly lower too. All these numbers are from the USOE's latest enrollment figures. I couldn't find any numbers on the private schools, but here are the rest of 2A.

Manti 439
    N.Sevier 191
    Parowan 183
    Enterprise 181
    Kanab 177

• Garden City GARDEN CITY, UT
    March 3, 2014 8:15 a.m.

Who will be in the semi finals in the 1A tournament?

• suu2byu Payson, UT
    March 3, 2014 8:20 a.m.

I wonder if anyone other than the UHSAA's pay site be able to stream the 1A games over the internet. UHSAA's pay site was the only place I could find the 3A state championship games played in Cedar City last week. Shame.

• Garden City GARDEN CITY, UT
    March 3, 2014 8:30 a.m.

I understand that Deseret Digital subleased the 1A tournament to national pay company that no one will use when there are plenty of business's that would sponsor these teams. It will get fixed next year I think and this year everyone down south can watch for free on their TV which is not fair for the North. Anyway...

I have Semi's as Rich, Panguich, Tabiona, and Duchesne

Rich fans can listen to their favorite radio man on that station play by play

• Rural sport fan DUCHESNE, UT
    March 3, 2014 9:38 a.m.

Agree with your asessment, Garden City. The only question mark for me is whether Monticello can step up and get Tabiona, I've seen them both, and its possible.

Maybe now your Rebels will win one, they are definitely good enough, IMHO, and as long as they aren't playing us, we'll be cheering for them.

The REAL question is, how on earth is it that the region 20 and region 17 top seeds always play each other, as in 11 out of the last 13 years? Not very random, is it?

• binghamalum South Jordan, UT
    March 3, 2014 10:54 a.m.

Can you guys not worry so much about 1A wow

• Lifelong 1A Fan Cedar City, utah
    March 3, 2014 1:08 p.m.

Not so fast region 17 fans. You are forgetting about Piute. This is not the same Piute team that faced Rich early in the season at the 1A preview. You would be making a mistake if you don't think Piute will make it to the semi-finals. In fact, I will pick Piute to make it to the championship game on the bottom side of the bracket.

• Earl Yee Not the City, UT
    March 3, 2014 6:07 p.m.

Good luck Piute. Coach Gines had Tabby beating Rich in Rich. No one in the South can touch Rich. He will out coach Piute and have his team more prepared than anyone else in the tournament. Tabby is always a tournament tough team. Again GOOD LUCK.

• Garden City GARDEN CITY, UT
    March 3, 2014 7:34 p.m.

Bummer that 17/20 meet the first day. Really good teams either way it works out will have to head to the losers side. Piute coach looked like he was trying to lose that Pang game in the last few minutes. Handled poorly. I would have to agree will get out coached the first day unless Tabby for some reason goes stone cold. If it's close at the end, Gines will get the win. Any of the 17/20 match ups could go either way if someone does not come to play including Bryce Valley/Rich the first day. Bryce has won it all with worse teams. They have a tournament face on in recent years and always believe they can be the Cinderella.

• plyxply SLC, UT
    March 4, 2014 7:41 a.m.

The U of U is the worst venue for high school tournaments. They don't have anywhere to park within several miles of the arena and they are playing games during college classes. I know it's a stretch to expect logical thinking from the UHSAA, but it's not hard to figure that the U of U is the worst venue in the state to hold this tourney.

• Duchesne Fan1 Duchesne Utah ,
    March 4, 2014 8:24 a.m.

It is to bad that Region 17 and Region 20 have to match up against each other every year in the first round of the tourney. But this season I don't think any one can argue that Region 17 has the clear advantage having won all of the head to head match up this year. Rich , Duchesne and Tabiona look to be headed to the Semi's. Should be a fun tourney and some real competitive first round games. Hopefully Rich can get through the Semi's this season.

• Garden City GARDEN CITY, UT
    March 4, 2014 4:17 p.m.

I thought Manila would have a better showing against Wayne before all of us continue to spout off I guess about region 17 and 20 match ups! Looks like it could all be a barn burner with all the match ups that first day. Manila has been a struggling program but I honestly thought would put up a better fight. Wayne has been all over the map and will play pang again the first day. I think they have beaten Piute who almost beat Pang the other day. Who knows?? 1A ball as usual without Wasatch Academy all world team. This will be a great tournament and you know there is going to be some upsets.

• brianwardenator Santaquin, UT
    March 5, 2014 10:21 a.m.

Where is the 1A live streaming for the boys state basketball tournament?

• Rural sport fan DUCHESNE, UT
    March 5, 2014 12:22 p.m.

@brianwardenator:

The Uhsaa sold us all down the river. You have to pay the Nat'l H.S Federation $10 a day, or $15 a month, or $50 for 4 months, or $90 a year for access to the videos.

We can watch College ball for free, but not HS.

Isn't it time we stood up to the Uhsaa and let them know they work for us?

• Me, Myself and I The Promised Land, UT
    March 7, 2014 10:40 p.m.

Please tell me someone fat fingered the FG attempts for Monticello when they entered them for the semi-final game vs. Duchesne. The box score says they were 22 of 98.

• mt man Escalante, UT
    March 8, 2014 7:59 a.m.

Just reading through all these region 17 and "Rich/Duchesne/Tabiona" comments. You guys underestimate region 20 every year. I like how you hammered on the better coaching or region 17, when coaching is exactly what proved the factor in panguitch beating rich and Piute putting up a much better game against Monticello than Duchesne could muster. I do have to say that I love the rivalry though. It's always exciting to watch our regions teams match up in state.

I do have to echo the thought of others that I'm getting tired of seeing region 20 and region 17 number 1 teams matching up in the semis. That should be the state championship game every year. Lets start placing them in opposite sides of the bracket so we can see the due rewards of the matchup be for that 1st and 2nd place matchup!

• Two For Flinching Salt Lake City, UT
    March 8, 2014 9:09 a.m.

@ plyxply

There is a train that drops you off right in front of the JMHC, and that train can easily be accessed from just about anywhere in the valley. Parking can be a hassle, but there are solutions to the problem....