Utah

Debate heating up for preschool, education funding bills

Comments

• What in Tucket? Provo, UT
    Feb. 16, 2014 7:25 a.m.

Is preschool training really necessary? There is an "education" industry and it is to their interest to promote education for children prior to kindergarten. There are some who feel a child should not go to school until age 6. I hope legislators will think about this seriously before spending hundreds of millions on perhaps unnecessary programs. Israel rates about 39th in education yet produces for its size far more innovative things than any other country. It may be that this preschool education would impair creative thinking?

• D4inSLC SALT LAKE CITY, UT
    Feb. 16, 2014 11:08 a.m.

You are kidding, right? First I don't think they are talking about "hundreds of millions". I saw the number 3. Second, "impair creative thinking"? I think that is a stretch as well. The quality programs, I have seen are all about creativity, socializing and interaction.

Regarding SB118, I have said it before - I can think of no bigger hypocrisy than hearing the outcry from the "conservative" right on the SB118 issue. It is our right to have as many children as we want - as long as we can take care of them (food, shelter, education)ourselves. To whine about the removal of tax exemptions for more than two children is simply shirking one's responsibility. Really, it is the ultimate in socialism.

• worf Mcallen, TX
    Feb. 16, 2014 12:32 p.m.

Could preschool, education funding bills mean free babysitting service?

• worf Mcallen, TX
    Feb. 16, 2014 2:35 p.m.

Pre-school=mother reading to her child. Period!

Just that simple, an inexpensive

• D4inSLC SALT LAKE CITY, UT
    Feb. 16, 2014 4:48 p.m.

@worf,
    Yes, I get your point, a woman's place is in the home (your point not mine). I'm curious, do you really not understand, or are you simply ignoring the fact that many mothers have to work in order to make ends meet. In other words, it isn't a choice.

• worf Mcallen, TX
    Feb. 16, 2014 9:26 p.m.

@D4inSLC:

Why do people have children they can't afford to raise? Is it fair having others pay for their decision making?

Surely a mom can find a few minutes reading to their child.

• D4inSLC SALT LAKE CITY, UT
    Feb. 16, 2014 10:08 p.m.

Worf, I do agree with you on people having children they cant afford - hence my support of SB 118. I'm also painfully aware of circumstances that prevent a single mother from reading to her children during the morning hours, when these preschool programs take place

• Fred44 Salt Lake City, Utah
    Feb. 17, 2014 9:05 a.m.

worf,

Parents should be responsible, they often times are not, so what do we do? Should we allow the goods to suffer and create generations of poverty or should we try and help some of these kids find a better life. What is the worth of one child?

• worf Mcallen, TX
    Feb. 17, 2014 3:00 p.m.

@Fred44:

We actually pay benefits for the results of permissiveness, while broadcasting more of it on television, and at theaters. Now, morals have a blurred definition with no proper example from our political leadership.

So what can we do?

Vote in honorable leaders with morals, adults setting an honorable example, and find a way to teach rightous principles to our youth.

The goods are already suffering, and creating a generation of poverty.

We must change things

• Fred44 Salt Lake City, Utah
    Feb. 17, 2014 7:27 p.m.

worf,

Your suggestions are great and I am all for them, but you didn't address the issue of today right now, do we just ignore these children whose parents are irresponsible and let them become the next generation stuck in poverty or do we something to try and help them escape?

If we try to help them it costs money, if we ignore them it costs even more money. Again what is the worth of a child?

By the way typo on my previous post goods should have been kids.