BYU football: Blackmon hopes to make immediate impact next season

Comments

• Chris B Salt Lake City, UT
    Feb. 12, 2014 1:58 p.m.

Its just interesting that speaking purely football, he thinks Fresno would be better than powerhouse byu.

Doesn't he know about 1984? How could Fresno be better speaking purely football?

There certainly is nothing wrong with picking byu for the "calm" environment like he mentions. It just saya a lot that that is the reason he picked byu; and not for football.

He does seem like a very great player though. Good think byu has that "calm" he is looking for.

Because based purely on football, he would have chosen fresno

• Chris B Salt Lake City, UT
    Feb. 12, 2014 2:02 p.m.

“If it was just about football I probably would have signed with Fresno"

I wonder if a recruit has ever said that after singing with any other powerhouse programs like Michigan, USC, UCLA, Alabama, Notre Dame.

Can you imagine a recruit saying "If it was just about football I would have picked Fresno but instead I decided to play at Notre Dame"

Somehow that doesn't jive with "byu is a football powerhouse" like byu fans always tell us

• BeSmart Cheyenne, WY
    Feb. 12, 2014 2:08 p.m.

Have to admire the kid for looking out for his future.
    Yes CB Fresno was his top choice for football it sounds like. Not the Pac-12 Utes.
    BYU was the atmosphere and academics he wanted. Not the Utes.
    It is funny that a Ute fan would comment on an article where the recruit turned them down to two mid-major programs.
    One for better for football and one for better environment and academics.
    Speaks for the reputation of the school and famous CB fan on the hill.
    lol

• Brutus ,
    Feb. 12, 2014 2:17 p.m.

You made the right choice, Devon. BYU is a great place for football and a whole lot of other things. Best of luck on and off the field. Go Cougs!

• Chris B Salt Lake City, UT
    Feb. 12, 2014 2:19 p.m.

@BeSmart,

Like I said, a kid picked Virginia over Alabama recently. What do you think that says about Alabama? You do remember how bad Virginia was right? They only had 1 win against a division 1 team the entire season. It was against byu.

Can you see a kid saying the same about picking fresno over other powerhouses like Michigan or USC for football reasons?

• jzzlvr Salt Lake City, UT
    Feb. 12, 2014 2:35 p.m.

This guy sounds awesome! He's definitely saying all the right things and his "numbers" all look really good...now if he can just back all that up by producing on the field!

• Ken Sandy, UT
    Feb. 12, 2014 2:36 p.m.

@Cheyenne - I know ChrisB gets under your skin. Your need to respond to every one of this comments is making you look more like him than it does different than him. Even most of us Ute fans don't like all that Chris says, but it is comical when he has a good point that byu fans can't seem to refute. BYU fans do claim byu is a big time football program and yet I highly doubt we will ever hear a player say they would have picked Fresno over Florida for football reason, or Fresno over Oregon for football reasons.

Fresno is not a big time football program, even if they had a good year this year. And yet Blackmon seems to think its a better football school than BYU. Is he wrong? Perhaps. And yet has a player ever said something similar about going to Florida over Fresno for non-football reasons, or Oregon over Fresno for non-football reasons?

All I see is silence from you on that question Smart. And that says a lot.

• BeSmart Cheyenne, WY
    Feb. 12, 2014 2:44 p.m.

@ CB
    Ok
    Devon Blackmon is one of how many?
    Uriah Leiataua over the Utes and Stanford.
    Isaiah Nacua over the Utes and a few other Pac-12 schools
    Fred Warner over USC
    Sione Takitaki over 2 pac schools and Wisconsin
    Matt Bushman over the Utes other Pac schools and an ACC school
    Nick Kurtz over USC and LSU
    Tico Fuga over the utes
    Isaiah Kaufusi over the Utes
    Tyler Cook over pac-12 schools and Miami
    Kavika Fonua over the Utes
    So I guess Alabama loses 6 a year to Virignia if that is your chosen analogy.

• BeSmart Cheyenne, WY
    Feb. 12, 2014 2:44 p.m.

Fred Warner chose BYU over USC because of BYUs defense (look it up)

• daviscoug Syracuse, UT
    Feb. 12, 2014 2:51 p.m.

It is clear to see that Mr. Blackmon is looking for a place where he can grow as a person, and not just as a football player. There is no other way to twist this, so those that try need to stop reaching. Just because he has other priorities such as a useful degree in his chosen field, a quieter place that matches his values, and place to stretch himself does not make him less of a football player. These young men chose schools for all kinds of reasons. I'm sure the kid who chose Virginia over Alabama had a reason that is just as valid - just like the Barton recruit for the U it could just be as simple as he has been a fan of the school for his whole life and always dreamed of playing there.

• Ken Lee Pasadena, CA
    Feb. 12, 2014 2:54 p.m.

CB has all sorts of comments about picking BYU over Fresno State and parsing the kids words in a way to try to extract a meaning that fits his conclusions. Blackmon wanted BOTH a good football program and a good education. Which of those do the Utes offer? Sub .500 in football and basically they admit anyone to study on the hill who has a pulse. By the way, don't comment on power teams like Notre Dame….you have no idea what that is like to beat them at home and on the road. Cougs? Yeh, done that. Keep reading all the BYU articles.

• Tom in CA Vallejo, CA
    Feb. 12, 2014 3:11 p.m.

cb - your analysis of Mr. Blackmon is perfect for your agenda.

There's no doubt in my mind, if this kid had chosen the trotting utes you would describe him as the second coming for the little team up north with all his speed and athleticism. So what's it like being in the bottom tier of the conference in all sports??

Oh, and good job bringing up 1984. The year BYU was National Champions. Something utah football will never obtain.

• Stop The Nonsense El Paso, TX
    Feb. 12, 2014 3:36 p.m.

Glad to have you, Devon! Hope you can have great success on and off the field!

• BeSmart Cheyenne, WY
    Feb. 12, 2014 3:41 p.m.

@ Ken
    I never argued his point and I have never said that BYU is a powerhouse program.
    I find it hilarious and embarrassing that a fan of a different team would comment on an article the implies the implicit weaknesses of his own team.
    As someone that was involved in college athletics it is hilarious.
    Very few players go because of 1 thing. I did not choose my university because of the athletic prowess (even though I was part of multiple conference titles).
    I chose it because of the academics and I received a degree that has created a great lifestyle.

• Lifelong Ute Salt Lake City, UT
    Feb. 12, 2014 3:42 p.m.

@BeSmart

"Fred Warner chose BYU over USC because of BYUs defense (look it up)"

Who said he didn't? It's clear you're dancing around a very simple point that Chris B and Ken are making: What other "big time program" can you see a recruit choosing over Fresno but then having that recruit say if football had been the priority that they would have gone with Fresno?

Ya, its just the opinion of one. And when have you seen the opinion of just one recruit thinking Fresno was a better option for football than a big time powerhouse program? Crickets, crickets(as to the point being made)

• Lifelong Ute Salt Lake City, UT
    Feb. 12, 2014 3:45 p.m.

Uriah Leiataua - NOT offered by Utah
    Isaiah Nacua - one other Pac 12 offer besides Utah, not several
    Tico Fuga - NOT offered by Utah

But don't let facts get in your way, just make up what you want

• Ken Sandy, UT
    Feb. 12, 2014 3:50 p.m.

Cheyenne

"So I guess Alabama loses 6 a year to Virignia if that is your chosen analogy."

Umm, no analogy has been made. Chris made a simple comment that a recruit picked Virginia over Alabama, so showing a recruit picked a school over another doesn't seem to prove much now does it? Really simple point he's making. No analogies needed. Where did you get confused?

• Ken Sandy, UT
    Feb. 12, 2014 3:58 p.m.

@Smart

Rivals doesn't seem to think Leiataua was offered by Utah.
    Rivlas doesn't seem to think Fuga was offered by Utah
    Scout doesn't seem to think Leiatua was offered by Utah
    Scout doesn't seem to think Fuga was offered by Utah

A little honesty goes a long ways my friend.

• BeSmart Cheyenne, WY
    Feb. 12, 2014 4:27 p.m.

@ Ken
    The offers I have are from ESPN.
    If they are wrong then I am wrong and I apologize.
    The same with Tico Fuga
    Lifelong Ute I used ESPN as a source. It may be wrong

• Tom in CA Vallejo, CA
    Feb. 12, 2014 4:29 p.m.

"BYU fans do claim BYU is a big time football program and yet I highly doubt we will ever hear a player say they would have picked Fresno over Florida for football reason, or Fresno over Oregon for football reasons".

Well - there are big time programs, and then there are big time programs.

cb - did you notice how Ken was smart enough to NOT put utah on the list of "big time" programs?? Did you notice?

• BeSmart Cheyenne, WY
    Feb. 12, 2014 4:29 p.m.

"Let me save byu fans a post by saying yes, he had an offer from Utah. And he picked byu. I can also give you an example of someone picking Virginia this year over Alabama."
    He is clearly comparing the two. Unless your reading comprehension does not include implication.
    247 and ESPN both indicate that Tico Fuga and Uriah received offers. They may be wrong if they are I did not want to be dishonest and will admit my mistake.

• BeSmart Cheyenne, WY
    Feb. 12, 2014 4:34 p.m.

@ LIfelong Ute
    Isaish Nacua stated in an interview with desnews that he has 3 pac-12 offers.
    But don't let what the athlete said get in your way.

• BlueHusky Mission Viejo, CA
    Feb. 12, 2014 4:57 p.m.

Anyone interested in postgraduate studies or a good range of job opportunities after graduation would more likely choose Virginia over Alabama. That is certainly true of BYU over Fresno. And no offense to either Alabama or Fresno.

Just Sayin'.

• Peck34 Enterprise, UT
    Feb. 12, 2014 5:06 p.m.

Commenters are assuming too much by his statement: “If it was just about football I probably would have signed with Fresno, but I need more than football. I’ll really need it after football is done. I want to study communications and BYU has a better program for that than Fresno"

It seems that everyone assumes that Blackmon is saying that Fresno has a better football team than BYU. I don't think he is saying that at all. Blackmon's statement could be referring to a number of football factors. Perhaps he would rather not compete with Apo, Kurtz, Matthews, Leslie, etc. Maybe he doesn't like how Hill seems to be a run first QB. Maybe he prefers Fresno's offensive schemes.

Whatever the case, he chose BYU and BYU fans are glad to have him.

And, by the way, who says BYU is a national powerhouse? I'm a BYU fan, and I'm not that delusional. Neither are other Y fans that I know.

• 1978 Salt Lake City, UT
    Feb. 12, 2014 5:07 p.m.

@Chris B, Ken & Lifelong Ute,

"Interesting that he thinks for purely football reasons Fresno was a better choice."

I agree that is interesting. Could it be that since BYU signed Leslie and Kurtz he felt that the competition for starting WR at Fresno this year would be easier therefore Fresno would be a better choice based purely on football.

Hmm... I guess you never thought about it that way because that wouldn't fit certain people's narrative about all BYU fans or anyone who would go there for athletics.

• Cougar Blue 1 Henderson , NV
    Feb. 12, 2014 5:08 p.m.

Sounds like a great guy who has his head on straight. Now, if Taysom can work on his accuracy over the offseason this team will be very exciting to watch. Love the WR's we picked up.

• Cougar Blue 1 Henderson , NV
    Feb. 12, 2014 5:22 p.m.

To the Ute fans who are trying to make something of him considering Fresno.. Do you not realize that there are many good athletes who consider smaller schools over more well known programs? Sometimes they just might like particular coaches, maybe the style of play, etc... I don't know what your points are when you bring this up. If anything it only makes the Utah program look worse that he completely rejected the Utes and chose BYU. Just because you are in a big boy conference does not make you a big boy team. I guess there is only up when you are at the bottom right?

• WA_Alum&Dad Marysville, WA
    Feb. 12, 2014 5:34 p.m.

Many posters here (and one in particular) are putting words into Ken's mouth. There were probably scores of reasons why "if it were just about football" he would have chosen FSU; things such as Fresno is close to home, Fresno had a specific need for his skills that would have guaranteed him lots of playing time, he had a great relationship with one of more of the Fresno coaches, etc. We'll never know unless he feels to elaborate.

Some Ute fans' deep psychological needs to come on and post on articles that have nothing to do with their team or school leads them to some really comical logical cul-de-sacs.

• worf Mcallen, TX
    Feb. 12, 2014 5:43 p.m.

BYU will continue having the most wins of all Utah Division 1 teams, for the past four decades.

That's football, and basketball.

Every excuse is irrelevant. Period.

• oldcougar Orem, UT
    Feb. 12, 2014 7:41 p.m.

Welcome, Devon. You seem like a good young man who has his head on straight. You would probably succeed wherever you chose to go. We're glad you chose BYU!

Hope we get a chance to play the Utes while you're here. They don't want to play us...they want to rest on their recent wins and not risk losing to us.

• CougFaninTX Frisco, TX
    Feb. 12, 2014 8:29 p.m.

@cb - Surprisingly I agree with some of what you said about Blackmon's reason for choosing BYU over Fresno. I'd be interested in your spin as to why he chose BYU over Utah, and as far as I can tell, he never even considered Utah. Was it because of their football program, their academics, or their environment? Whatever it is, U may want to get it fixed. I think U lost more non-LDS athletes to BYU this year than any other year I've seen.

I don't know where U heard that BYU fans put our football program in the same powerhouse category as Alabama. I've never heard or read a single BYU football say we are in the same category.

I really liked Brian Kelly's comment on NLI day, when he said choosing a college is a forty year decision, not a four year decision. And I applaud an athlete who choses a college based on the totality of the school, not just the football program.

• Chris B Salt Lake City, UT
    Feb. 12, 2014 8:49 p.m.

CougfaninTX,

I've never said byu fans have said they're in the same class as Alabama. I've simply said byu fans have said that byu is a big time powerhouse football program. And yes, many byu fans have claimed that byu is a big time program. I have mentioned Alabama to prove different points before, including that a recruit recently picked Virginia over Alabama to show that just because a recruit picks a certain school over another is hardly indicative of which school is better

You're interested in my "spin" as to why he picked byu over Utah?

No spin needed.

He himself mentions he wants a very calm environment to be able to focus on academics and football.

Nothing wrong with that. I've simply pointed out what he said as interesting as I can't see a recruit saying that about ANY big time program(not just the level of Alabama) as far as thinking for football reasons Fresno would be better.

Not rhetorical - I'm sincerely curious a reply to my question.

• wahului Stockton, CA
    Feb. 12, 2014 9:04 p.m.

Devon made it pretty clear at the end of the article that his choice was fueled largely by his own understanding of his own propensity to get involved in too many distractions where they exist. If football were his only interest, Fresno State would have possibly been adequate. This young man, through some hard knocks, has gained some insight on what's really important, and has made a very thoughtful and adult choice for his remaining college football career and for his life beyond that. He's obviously matured from the experience he's had, and is now weighing a much bigger picture than "purely football". He's not that shallow.

• 79Ute Orange County, CA
    Feb. 12, 2014 10:05 p.m.

@Ken

• Wiscougarfan River Falls, WI
    Feb. 12, 2014 10:18 p.m.

I'm surprised that any Ute fans would want to comment in any way about Blackmon's statement that he'd pick Fresno over BYU for football reasons. First, he did pick BYU over Utah so who is to say he doesn't feel the same way regarding their program (that Fresno is better). Second, Fresno State finished last season ranked #20 in the country. That's pretty good... it was better than USC, Texas, Miami, Notre Dame, Washington, BYU, and Utah (to name a few). Rankings matter and I agree last season from a purely football standpoint Fresno State was better than BYU. I'll also say that under that same criteria BYU consistently outperforms Utah. Whatever Blackmons reasons, he did sign with BYU and we're glad to have him. Go Cougs!

• TFUDD SLC, UT
    Feb. 12, 2014 10:47 p.m.

TomCA

I think BYU will benefit from these new recruits. Sounds like they had some good steals.

Have you been watching basketball lately? I'd say the Utes are right in the thick of things within the Pac-12 Conference standings....BYU basketball/football is by far nothing to brag about

• tyler11385 Springville, UT
    Feb. 13, 2014 7:47 a.m.

@Chris B - "Can you think of any big time program in the nation he'd say was less desirable for football reasons than Fresno?"

No. Why? Because he didn't say it. It would be a presumptuous of me to assume other programs he might fit into that category without him talking about it. In fact I don't know anything about this kid except for what these articles put out on him. Why would I care what he thinks of other programs? By your analysis of this article you seem to believe that after reading it, I should now bow my head in disapproval because of a comment a football recruit said in an interview...an interview in which he discussed his admiration of a school that I too, admire.

Oh wait, just in case my careful analysis of his words did not bring shame upon my admiration for BYU, I always have you to put me in my place.

• Ken Sandy, UT
    Feb. 13, 2014 8:45 a.m.

79 Ute -

"Utah offered all three you claim they didn't offer according to ESPN. Is ESPN not a reliable source for us to rely upon?"

Where have I said there were 3 guys not offered by Utah that others claimed were? Once we can establish the difference between 2 and 3 we can further the conversation. First things first.

• Ken Sandy, UT
    Feb. 13, 2014 8:51 a.m.

@besmart

I do see both of those guys were offered by ESPN. However, I don't see either of them being offered by 247, as you claim they are.

Want to take back that part of your claim?

• Ken Sandy, UT
    Feb. 13, 2014 8:59 a.m.

@besmart, My last post was not clear. I don't see either Fuga or Uriah offered by Utah per 247. I think it was clear what I was saying, but in case not, hopefully this is.

Still claiming 247 says Utah offered them? Or want to take that back?

• BeSmart Cheyenne, WY
    Feb. 13, 2014 9:01 a.m.

@ Ken
    I was wrong with Tico Fuga I guess I clicked on the wrong recruit, so I will admit he is not shown as offered on 247 sports.
    On Uriah, 247 lists the top 5 schools (it varies per recruit) but in the right corner of that area it says "show all interests" if you click that it will increase the amount seen and it shows Utah as offering.
    This is from a news article concerning Fuga "Teancum Fuga committed to sign a letter of intent with BYU Monday evening after being officially offered by coaches. Teancum is a 6-foot-2, 320 pound defensive tackle prospect who held offers from Utah, Boise State and Utah State and rising interest from several Pac-12 programs at the time of his commitment."
    Also before the recruiting trip he was interviewed and said the Utes had offered.

• Ken Sandy, UT
    Feb. 13, 2014 9:20 a.m.

besmart,

Fair enough. I see that 247 shows him after clicking on that link. Scout and Rivals say no, but ESPN and 247 say yes for Uriah. Only ESPN is yes for Fuga and no from rivals, scout, and 247

• BeSmart Cheyenne, WY
    Feb. 13, 2014 9:29 a.m.

I really don't think it is a big deal who got who.
    I want both BYU and Utah to win. In fact I was a big Utah fan until certain fans (similar to CB) turned me off to them. And after game day experiences involving Utah fans and a terrible behavior.
    I know most of them are great people, but from what I have seen from some I just don't attend Utah athletic events very often anymore. (Now that I have moved from Utah I don't attend either school)

• Ken Sandy, UT
    Feb. 13, 2014 10:40 a.m.

You don't think its a big deal of who got who?

Except that you try and list it in nearly every response Chris B makes about who got who. Like I said, you end up looking more like him than different than him when you're as obsessed in replying to him as he is commenting on byu articles.

And I used to be a byu fan as well, until I saw some of the game day experiences in Provo.

• let's roll LEHI, UT
    Feb. 13, 2014 10:42 a.m.

I suspect he'd consider Fresno a better football fit than most schools. When recruits look at schools they are evaluating scheme and playing time more than anything.

He's a wide receiver. Look at their Fresno State scheme and how many pass attempts they had last year. He'd get plenty of playing time and catches there.

Compare that to the likes of Alabama (run first, plus they like big blocking WRs)and Florida State (good scheme, but he'd sit on the bench) and logic would dictate that he'd evaluate Fresno as a better pick from a football standpoint than those programs as well.

• Wookie Omaha, NE
    Feb. 13, 2014 10:46 a.m.

@ BeSmart. I am calling your bluff on CB and the like fans changing your opinion about Utah. You just don't change your alligence because of some ignorant fans. If that were the case, would you not change your opinion about BYU as well. The ignorant fans stand on both sides of the field. For me, I will cheer for BYU basketball as I love Coach Rose and he runs a good program. As for BYU football, I will cheer for that sport as soon as BYU stops turning a blind eye to the hypocrisy of a small percentage of the student athletes in the program.

GO UTES!

• The Anti Chris Salt Lake City, UT
    Feb. 13, 2014 10:49 a.m.

CB is rambling...again. It was hard to follow his comments with having to take a break.
    Clearly he is insanely jealous of everything BYU to be the first one to comment on every BYU article. U lost out on a recruit they wanted that has speed in bunches. Get over it. He most likely just wanted to play on national TV and be in a winning program as well as get a quality education. BYU offered both and u did not.

• Down under Salt Lake City, UT
    Feb. 13, 2014 11:23 a.m.

Be Smart,
    I too used to be a huge Utah fan until one day at RES I saw a U fan throw a cup of beer on a BYU QB. Used to work for the U and had football season tickets a number of years ago. Couple that with the hatred of a few U fans has totally turned me off to anything U.
    Go BYU

• Old But Not Stupid Moorpark, CA
    Feb. 13, 2014 11:36 a.m.

Chris B
    "I'm just asking why a kid would pick fresno over a powerhouse like byu for purely football reasons?"

You are sadly too predictable and easy to refute...

Following any logic, it's no stretch to conclude that Blackmon would have picked Fresno over Utah "for purely football reasons."

Also, I've never seen any BYU fan posting here claim that they are a "powerhouse" program.

• BYU Fan in DC Washington, DC
    Feb. 13, 2014 11:52 a.m.

I am surprise by all the Ute comments on this article. This was a 4-star recruit that chose BYU and you are trying to knock a comment about Fresno State? Really? Get a life Ute fans.

I am just as big a BYU fan as you are Ute fans, but the difference between us is I dont even waste my time reading articles about Utah Football. You must have too much time on your hands.

• qball714 Anaheim, CA
    Feb. 13, 2014 1:51 p.m.

Funny that the U fans think they have a great, irrefutable point that he said he'd pick Fresno over BYU for purely football reasons and that that's somehow a dig at BYU (which is...um...the school he *did* still choose). Then they said "would a recruit say that about FSU vs. Alabama?"

So let's just be clear. You're comparing BYU with bigger football schools like Alabama (otherwise, why draw the parallel, because it would be irrelevant), and purposely *not* including the U in that conversation (who lost the same recruit).

And even though it's a straw man, people realize there is a difference between "big time program" that has a strong global following, plays on ESPN, wins, and goes to bowl games and "BIG time program" that does all that and also wins power conferences and plays in the BCS each year. BYU is one of those. The U is neither.

• qball714 Anaheim, CA
    Feb. 13, 2014 1:57 p.m.

Also, it may be hard to understand outside of Utah, but ABSOLUTELY the reason I don't like some aspects of the U is SQUARELY because of their fans and my experience with them.

I'm from SoCal, always liked Utah, Provo, SLC, BYU, the U, etc., and didn't quite understand the rivalry, except for, well, they're next to each other so they want to win. Fine.

Then I went to BYU and experienced it for myself. I still don't care much about the rivalry (I don't get too excited when BYU beats the U, nor too upset when they lose--I'm much more frustrated when BYU gives away winnable games), but I absolutely understand the disdain for U fans. A small section of them are some of the worst fans anywhere (and I've lived everywhere), as evidenced by their odd fixation on BYU articles posted on this website. And for the guy who tried to equate fan behavior at RES with LES...nice try, but no way.

• BeSmart Cheyenne, WY
    Feb. 13, 2014 2:32 p.m.

@ Wookie.
    I did change my allegiance I always cheered for the U. Then I went to a rivalry game and after seeing intoxication and a simple assault on a young female cougar fan I changed.
    I think the majority of U fans are great. Several of my closest friends are U fans and I have U alumni in my family, but I choose not to cheer for them due to past experiences.
    If any school I cheered for had the same disdain and action I would cease to be a big fan of that team as well.

• dww722 North Salt Lake, UT
    Feb. 13, 2014 3:34 p.m.

Bottom line..BYU once again won a recruiting battle head to head with the mighty PAC12 Utes who will never be mistaken for big time.

• BigCougFan Cottonwood Heights, UT
    Feb. 13, 2014 8:19 p.m.

For being fans of a super PAC12 team a few Ute fans seem obsessed with all things BYU. I think of them as closet cougars.. they can't stop themselves from reading every BYU article. Most cougar fans don't waste their time reading about the team in SLC.

• BYU in Tucson Tucson, AZ
    Feb. 14, 2014 6:56 a.m.

Hope this recruit works out. When he takes the field in front of 65,000 fans on national TV he will see that BYU is bigger football than Fresno State. If he was looking to play the best competition he would of chosen a Pac12 school. BYU's team has been under performing lately but its still as big of a program as most of the Pac schools. The Arizona schools, Colorado, WSU, Cal, Oregon St. and Utah. None of these schools programs are bigger than BYU's. The money, stadiums, campuses, TV exposure. BYU's program is at least 25th in the country even if the team is playing around 31st in the country lately.