Utah football: Brian Johnson officially leaves Utah for Mississippi State

Comments

• But seriously folks! Salt Lake City, UT
    Feb. 10, 2014 4:43 p.m.

Good for Brian. He finally bets to be a part of a winning program. Best of luck to him.

• Samurai Jake Salt Lake City, UT
    Feb. 10, 2014 4:51 p.m.

Thanks for your contributions to the program both as a player and a coach. We will never forget your MVP performance in the Sugar Bowl! Best of luck in your new adventure.

• MyPerspective Salt Lake City, UT
    Feb. 10, 2014 4:54 p.m.

BJ is a class act as a player, coach, and a person. I like to think we will see him again one day on the Utah sideline. Best of luck to you, Brian!

• pocyUte Pocatello, ID
    Feb. 10, 2014 5:25 p.m.

Best of luck to BJ. I hope he does well.

SEC rules that was hilarious. Max Hall might be #2 candidate

• Uteology East Salt Lake City, Utah
    Feb. 10, 2014 6:42 p.m.

Good luck BJ and Roll the Tide!

• sammyg Springville, UT
    Feb. 10, 2014 9:16 p.m.

Smart move to get out before the pink slips are handed out in December.

Good luck and may success be found in Mississippi.

• Ed Grady Idaho Falls, ID
    Feb. 10, 2014 11:58 p.m.

Great move - timing is everything.

• Go Big Blue!!! Bountiful, UT
    Feb. 11, 2014 9:31 a.m.

It's a good time to leave before Whitt's last season.

• Live From the Swamp Holladay, UT
    Feb. 11, 2014 11:35 a.m.

BJ, GOOD LUCK! You are a class act. Thanks for your work in the community as well as at the U.

The bad news - you are going to the SEC. Frying pan and fire. Yes, MSU went 7-6 but they had three cupcake wins against Bowling Green, Troy, and Alcorn State. They struggled to beat Arkansas, Kentucky and Ole Miss. They could just as easily have finished at 5-7 (sound familiar?) Tennessee and Florida will both be better. MSU won't finish higher than 5th out of 8 teams in the SEC West and 10th out of 14 overall. The coaching staff there is also on the hot seat. A bad year will see them all canned.

MSU has a talented, but erratic sophomore (again, sound familiar?) QB in Dak Prescott. They did NOT recuit a QB this year. There is no clear choice for back-up. I'm not sure this position was a step up. Give it your best shot!

Go Gators!

• Qwest Perfected Salt Lake City, UT
    Feb. 11, 2014 4:11 p.m.

I wish Brian all the best at Mississippi State. I am disappointed to see him go. I think he is a great position coach and has become one of the Utes better recruiters the last few years.

Brian has a great young football mind and I hope to see him back on the Utes sidelines someday.

I just hope Kyle doesn't look down south for his replacement. The coaching staff has way too many of his inner circle former cougars. I hear they are looking at the QB coach from Wake Forrest. I don't know much about him, but that would be a refreshing change.