Utah

House approves 80 mph speed limit bill

Comments

• 4601 Salt Lake City, UT
    Feb. 7, 2014 5:29 p.m.

Please, no more complaints about pollution, gas prices or deaths from highway speeds. At least we are arriving at our destination 10 minutes sooner and you can accomplish a lot in 10 minutes. With an 80 MPH limit, the effective speeds will be 90+ MPH.

• idaphin Moyie Springs, Idaho
    Feb. 7, 2014 5:45 p.m.

The only thing this does it make what most Utah drivers already do legal (driving 85 in a 70).

• LovelyDeseret Gilbert, AZ
    Feb. 7, 2014 6:53 p.m.

I would rather see the House open freeways for bicycles.

Stop pollution, encourage exercise, and decrease our dependency on foreign fuel.

• Hutterite American Fork, UT
    Feb. 7, 2014 6:55 p.m.

I'm not realistically going to feel safe, let alone economical, trying to pull my trailer as fast as traffic will go now when conditions permit. That's OK by me, but I hope people don't get all snotty just because you can't, or won't go that fast.

• bikeboy Boise, ID
    Feb. 7, 2014 7:03 p.m.

Based on my casual observation, many Wasatch Front motorists already go 80 or better in the 65mph urban stretches. They'll be flirting with triple-digit speeds on those roads where the posted limit is 80!

"Gentlemen, start your engines!"

(-;

• LDS Liberal Farmington, UT
    Feb. 8, 2014 9:53 a.m.

How will the State protect me and my family when we drive a slower but still perfectly legal 60 mph?

[FYI -- the Federal minimum Freeway speed remains 45 mph. So the differential in speed goes from 15 mph to 35 --- meaning being rear ended would be like hitting a brick wall at 35-40 mph --- i.e., lethal.]

Politicians and Law makes do not understand Science or Physics.

• benjoginko Cottonwood Heights, UT
    Feb. 9, 2014 1:23 p.m.

Glad to see our Law Makers finally did something sensible.

• Jim Mesa, Az
    Feb. 9, 2014 5:18 p.m.

80mph is approximately 120per second. If people are going to travel at that speed, hopefully that won't let themselves be distracted with cell phones and texting. There aren't too many people who can control their vehicles in the event of an emergency at that speed.