Faith

Mormon leaders announce effort to unite LDS women across the globe

Comments

• formerUT Osawatomie, KS
    Feb. 7, 2014 1:51 p.m.

I have to comment----I just have to: A. It's about DARN time--and I am glad they're doing this; B. Why only 5? C. Why only 1 outside of UT and 4 outside of US? As MORE members now live outside of the US than in, should not their board numbers represent this? D. I cannot wait until they not only equally represent the true population make-up of the church, but the socieoeconomic make-up of the church. Okay--thank you--I had to get that out!!! P.S. In this day and age there is no reason why the women's boards cannot have members from all over the world and country!!! Meetings can now easily be held over the internet, satellites, etc.

• Liberal Ted Salt Lake City, UT
    Feb. 7, 2014 2:00 p.m.

Does this mean the feminists will protest these meetings and ask that men and young boys be allowed to attend?

Just saying....

With joking aside, this is great news. The women of the church do a tremendous job moving the gospel forward. Often carrying a heavier work load than the men of the church. They are great leaders of the church and serve mankind through their charity and kindness.

• liahona Westbank, BC
    Feb. 7, 2014 2:13 p.m.

Totally agree formerUT!

IMO I think there are way too many Leaders from Utah/US that serve around the world. Actually I think it's an insult. There are great leaders in other countries who should be serving instead of Americans from Utah/US. When I see so many Americans serve internationally I think they are being rewarded some how by the hierarchy of the church - it's not necessary. Canada doesn't need American Mission Presidents - Canadian ones could do just as good a job if not better. There got that off my chest!!

• LauraLM61 Albuquerque, NM
    Feb. 7, 2014 2:38 p.m.

I'm glad they have been able to take advantage of the teleconferencing technology a little bit more.

• desert Potsdam, 00
    Feb. 7, 2014 3:10 p.m.

...It's about DARN time...They are great leaders of the church and serve mankind through their charity and kindness...There got that off my chest...

This is a marvelous work and a wonder. This small exitement here on a local level will soon be replaced by more joy abroad, and when will it be called the Enoch-Movement ?

Great job, can't wait to see this church expand until no end in sight.
    We are so lucky to live at this time of history.

• jeanie orem, UT
    Feb. 7, 2014 3:32 p.m.

Liahona,

Why would you assume Utahans/Americans were being "rewarded" by being sent away from their kids and grand kids to serve in other areas of the world? You clearly do not understand the sacrifice these members make when they leave everything familiar to them because they were asked to. Most would much prefer to stay home and I doubt they feel "rewarded".

We have close relatives as well as good friends who have left their home and lived abroad to serve the church. Every time they go they miss their family and miss their home. The closing up of their life here to serve elsewhere is enormous work. We've seen them leave and return a number of times now.

Yes, it's wonderful that these opportunities to serve will be more for local members. It's a good thing. But, your lack of understanding about the sacrifices made and your resentment is very short sighted.

• Tulip West Jordan, UT
    Feb. 7, 2014 3:45 p.m.

Such good news. I feel grateful for continued revelation and the inclusion of even more inspired voices throughout the globe.

• NightOwlAmerica SALEM, OR
    Feb. 7, 2014 4:13 p.m.

Well liahona of Westbank, BC. Where are all these Canadians you are talking about? Perhaps they are serving in other parts of the world.

I did not know the hierarchy was in the business of rewarding people with leadership callings. Last time I checked, people are extended callings thru, prayer, inspiration and other considerations. Mission Presidents are needed everywhere. Does not matter what country they are from. They go where the Lord sends them.

At one time that indeed was the case about the number of people serving from Utah. That's where the strength of the church is/was. A fair number called from Utah now are also transplants from other states.

Where did the current Prophet serve as Mission President? Home of the Maple Leafs. Was he rewarded or called to serve?

• gittalopctbi Glendale, AZ
    Feb. 7, 2014 8:04 p.m.

Glad some people are getting things off of their chest. I think one just has to remember Who really is running the church and that all things are on His time table and He knows when we are ready to implement it. At least that's good to remember before one starts harboring complaints.

• IMAPatriot2 PLEASANT GROVE, UT
    Feb. 7, 2014 10:46 p.m.

Grumble, grumble, grumble. It is always too late, too little or too much for some people. This organizational change is designed to bless the lives of the women in the Church. It will do that and more. I'm very confident that we all will be recipients of this change. The Church is gifted with some great sisters who have spiritual understanding, wisdom, and are capable leaders and teachers. With the direction the world is heading we need more of what they have to offer.

• JoeBlow Far East USA, SC
    Feb. 8, 2014 7:11 a.m.

Based on all the snipping, Im confused.

Don't LDS believe that who and where one goes on a mission or becomes a mission president is determine by guidance from above?

• Dennis Harwich, MA
    Feb. 8, 2014 7:33 a.m.

I'm wondering what this is really all about. It "seems" to be much more of a political and image ploy rather than any sincere effort to make any difference. If the Church wants to make a difference then equality is the standard to follow. And please don't quote any "revelations" too back up an argument. No such revelations have ever happened. Women in the Church deserve equality and an equal footing with the men. If men had to do what women do they'd be grousing all day every day and eventually give up. Just saying.

• pat1 Taylorsville, UT
    Feb. 8, 2014 7:58 a.m.

It is great to include women from all over the world in these councils. This is a worldwide church filled with women of different cultures. We need their input. Ladies in the Wasatch Front--do not worry. We all make sacrifices everywhere and the humility and spirit of these wonderful women from afar will enrich us all.

• carman Wasatch Front, UT
    Feb. 8, 2014 9:32 a.m.

Do we need 8 year olds going to another meeting? I hope sometime we can start cutting out some meetings. We spend WAY too much time sitting in meetings talking at each other, and not enough time serving and enjoying family, friends, neighbors and the widower next door. It seems that in most of our family time where we may have an opportunity to spend some time together, that someone in the family has a meeting, fireside, choir practice or activity that has been called by someone (an organization, ward, stake, or general/church level). When you schedule a family member, you schedule the whole family.

We need to have fewer meetings, not keep inviting more people to more meetings. As a husband/father, it was bad enough to have my spouse gone to another meeting. Now the time I had with a daughter/granddaughter is also gone. Church is NOT about meetings. It is about LIVING the gospel. Outside of sacrament meeting, it would take an INCREDIBLY PRODUCTIVE and efficient meeting to be worth the time spent. More often than not, these meetings and activities fall short on value added, and the time could have been better spent.

• BR Sandy, UT
    Feb. 8, 2014 9:56 a.m.

I believe in free speech, but I don’t know if complaining should be in the same category.
    It is unbelievable, no matter what someone do there will always those that will through rocks.
    People, the leadership of the church made some changes that seems to be important at this time and that’s the way they want to deploy. Can we look forward to this new directive and watch the first meeting before making some non-sense comments?

• John Pack Lambert of Michigan Ypsilanti, MI
    Feb. 8, 2014 10:24 a.m.

While I wish these changes had been done a long time ago, I also understand why they are only recent. As it is, we have a young woman general president who spent almost all of her adult life outside of Utah.

Here in Michigan at one point we had a Canadian mission president.

Of our 5 temple president, 4 have been called from Michigan.

• John Pack Lambert of Michigan Ypsilanti, MI
    Feb. 8, 2014 10:28 a.m.

Actually, if I have one complaint, it is that New York City is not really a place that gives people perspective on the issues we face here in the mid-west. The mid-west is a very different world. That said, the calling of leaders is not about representation of local interests but calling people who have the leadership to direct programs.

• John Pack Lambert of Michigan Ypsilanti, MI
    Feb. 8, 2014 10:32 a.m.

I am sick and tired of Africa being spoken of along with Japan and Peru. Africa is a continent. They should say what country the people are from, be it South Africa, Ghana or Nigeria. To just say "Africa" is an insult to the many nations involved.

• Here Sandy, UT
    Feb. 8, 2014 10:48 a.m.

I often find that when The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day-Saints announces new policies and practices, I am invariably pleasantly surprised and say to myself, I never would have guessed. But they make such good sense when you think about them. It is another testimony of the gospel. When they announced the new age requirements for missionaries, same thing. The three-hour meeting block is another example out of many.

@Dennis,
    Aren't you being cynical? I kind of agree with you when you say, "If men had to do what women do they'd be grousing all day every day and eventually give up." However, I do not know why women don't have the priesthood, but I have faith we will know some day. But I certainly wouldn't try to dictate to the Lord nor His servants. And I'm perfectly confident the Lord will not acquiesce to political correctness.

All I know is that women have a wonderful roll in bring souls to earth and in nurturing those souls. Otherwise, I don't know.

• Gildas LOGAN, UT
    Feb. 8, 2014 10:48 a.m.

I hope this union of women will unite in loving their husbands. Maybe it's just "the times", or my personal experience, but I don't seem to recall a woman offer that useful and kind counsel. I suppose we must expect to be affected by the philosophies of men and women in our churches to some extent and feminism has taken its toll most everywhere. I appreciate my wife who is largely of another persuasion.

• maureenaus Enoch, Ut
    Feb. 8, 2014 11:34 a.m.

I am from Australia originally and reading a comment saying perhaps the church is rewarding Mission Presidents etc., by sending them to foreign missions is interesting to say the least. First, my son had an Australian Mission President. Another missionary in Hong Kong that we sent out also had an Australian as a Mission President. If you read the Church News where it lists new Mission Presidents and their wives they come from various parts of the globe. Also, normally a person needs to submit papers to go on a mission be it a single or a married couple. So calls are coming from that. As far as being rewarded, having served a mission myself, as well as working with many mission couples, it is hard work. The reward comes from teaching the Gospel and being able to help others glean an understanding of our Savior, which is indeed a blessing. But it is not a travelogue we go on. It is dedication to hard work, and if any are turning a mission into a vacation, I am yet to see it. Yes there are dedicated leaders world wide, but I choose to follow the inspiration of the General Authorities.

• Moracle Blackshear, GA
    Feb. 8, 2014 2:41 p.m.

I'm so saddened and disappointed that many who have posted comments on this article view callings to serve such an unwelcome sacrifice and chore.
    "Unto whom much is given, much is expected", and who among LDS populations have been given more than present-day Utah Mormons? I think the early pioneers who sacrificed so much to come the Utah would be disappointed in any posterity of theirs who would hold such dire views of service to the Lord in His Kingdom.
    Utahans and other long-term membership families have so much more to offer because of their long-term accumulated knowledge and experience of how the work of the Lord is done, spiritually and ecclesiastically. Most other regions where the Church is in it's infancy, childhood, or teenage years stand to benefit greatly from that great storehouse of preparation.
    Also, where else would you find more retired members with the time and means to travel to the far corners of the world to build the kingdom. What is asked of us today is a mere pittance compared to those of early Church members.
    How sad, indeed.

• Globemaster In the Valley, UT
    Feb. 8, 2014 6:18 p.m.

@Liahona

Rewarded? My wife and I were recently asked to leave our family in Utah for three years and serve in a foreign country. I will earn no income for those three years, thus delaying my retirement by at least that long once we return.

We have three children who could very well get married during our absence. I will not be able to attend any of their weddings should that happen. Our grandchildren will know us only as their "Skype Grandparents."

We are going to a place where my wife does not speak the language and the culture is very different from what we are used to.

We have to figure out what to do with our home, how to settle my business affairs, how to deal with taxes and a host of other difficult decisions.

The area to which we have been called has had nothing but natives of that country as mission presidents. I will be the first US Citizen/Utahn to serve there.

We feel greatly blessed and are willing to serve where called; however, this feels like anything but a "reward."

• dotp POTEAU, OK
    Feb. 8, 2014 7:58 p.m.

I, for one, am GLAD to see these changes. I hope they will include more than just talks and speeches. I hope there will be activities that will be uniting for mothers and daughters. I hope they will encourage the young women to recognize the treasure they have in their mothers and the mothers to recognize the treasure they have in their daughters. Our Heavenly Father knows when it's time to implement new things. He promised the Prophet Joseph Smith that there would be new knowledge about our Heavenly Father that has not been known since the world was made. See Doctrine and Covenants 121: 26 - 33. This leaped off the page at me recently. Everything is right on track and the Lord's timing is ALWAYS perfect. I am rejoicing for the new changes.

• Rae M. Bountiful , UT
    Feb. 9, 2014 2:35 a.m.

Dennis,
    I doubt anyone knows of revelations on this subject, except President Monson. But I don't how it can be said there weren't any, unless the claim is made by he who usually receives them. As I think about it, this is a growing church, it's Jesus', and He loves us and knows our needs. I doubt any change happens without the approval of the prophet. And in my mind, that necessitates inspiration, which could also be called revelation.
    Carmen,
    I thought most children spent too much time playing video games. What meetings do they have, I wonder.

• desert Potsdam, 00
    Feb. 9, 2014 3:38 a.m.

There is no "Non-Sense" comment,as above mentioned !

Each one of them is contributing to understand the whole of Womenhood in church and to comprehend some of the interests and spiritual strive of each person.
    Not everone knows or believes what Mormons do.
    We are in difficult times, and understanding the role of a mother and the time consuming efforts in church are very important issues. I think most of it has to be decided on a each case situation. Some children need more care and time, some families enjoy being out there in church meetings, it all depends.

And Leadership ? Well don't you think whatever inspirations they may receive brings in changes because of desires of each group in church ?
    But even then it may not be perceived as such, but the opinions of people inside the church and outside of it matter a lot!

This is where missionary work is going on, and the personal progress on the basis of conversion and tesitmony. Everybody needs to tell something.

(The Word of Wisdom started out to be because of complaining)
    (We need to listen to others as well, hope DN does not refuse this)

• desert Potsdam, 00
    Feb. 9, 2014 4:20 a.m.

These blessings that come with serving in church callings needs some explantion to those not of the Faith.

Before anyone is considered for such high callings, as mentioned e.g. outside the States onto a foreign mission, they will have seen tests in their lives and received testimonies of many kinds and have learned free agency to be used within their means of faith.

Blessings to serve are not because we seek them, but blessings come to support us when times are demanding. But in my opionion we are not going to serve to be blessed, but we love the work of the Lord and his children, and we want to be a blessing to them.

Blessings also refer much to spiritual progress and sanctifications for next life, not so much in respect to earthly sorrows and the peace of the world.

D&C 121 ...We have learned by sad experience that it is the nature and disposition of almost all men, as soon as they get a little authority, as they suppose, they will immediately begin to exercise unrighteous dominion.
    Hence many are called, but few are chosen.

• Dennis Harwich, MA
    Feb. 9, 2014 8:35 a.m.

@ Globemaster....you're wasting your time. Family is the focal part of our lives.

@Here....I am more than happy to dictate policy to the brethren. Somebody has to get it right.

• Rae M. Bountiful , UT
    Feb. 9, 2014 6:14 p.m.

To correct myself: I don't know how many, but I think too many adults and children are pulled away from church activity, into video games. I recently heard of a divorce due to one spouse playing video games instead of taking care of responsibilities.
    I've seen in my life, that the more choices the adversary offers to children, the more good choices that the Church leaders offer.

Liahona,
    if my overseas mission was to be some kind of a reward, I wanted less. I decided to go because I somehow believed I would go to Wyoming or Nevada. When I was called to travel 7,500 miles away,I was happy to go. But the reward came in a roundabout way: I learned how fortunate I am to have enough money for a toothbrush, to have water faucets with sanitary water, good doctors, good roads, and local and national governments interested in making these available.
    And from what I've heard, 70% of the people in the world have unsanitary drinking water, for instance. I think everyone could benefit from a similar reward.

• JSB Sugar City, ID
    Feb. 9, 2014 9:17 p.m.

In reading some of these remarks, it is interesting how many people who weren't involved in the meetings where these kinds of decisions are made seem to know so much. A lot of thought, discussion and prayer by good men and women who are sincerely concerned and very well informed about the women in the church, have made a policy change and it appears to be a move in the right direction. I support it. Why grouse about it? Unless you are among those who grouse about everything the church does. Some people will never be satisfied.

• Llew40 Sandy, UT
    Feb. 10, 2014 12:04 a.m.

I hope we can start hearing more stories about how single, never married sisters in third-world countries deal with first-world problems...like singles wards.