Utah football: U. coach Kyle Whittingham pleased with Utes' 2014 recruiting class

Comments

• Joe Schmoe Orem, UT
    Feb. 5, 2014 8:51 p.m.

Ouch. Welcome to irrelevancy. That took less time than I thought it would. Recruits flipping from utah to USU is a sign of things to come.

Feb. 5, 2014 9:16 p.m.

Joe, it was one (your post insinuates there were multiple) recruit who originally committed to Utah as a kid who was going to serve a mission. He changed his mind, so did Utah. It's as easy as that.

If you want to stir up contention, please go somewhere other than a Utah board.

• Chris B Salt Lake City, UT
    Feb. 5, 2014 9:25 p.m.

Joe,

Utah's average star recruiting class of 2014: 2.63
    byu's: 2.68

That's the first time in 5 years Utah has had a lower class than byu, and it was by .05

Last year the difference was .66 in favor of Utah, a difference of more than 10 times the margin that byu fans are bragging about now.

• Chris B Salt Lake City, UT
    Feb. 5, 2014 9:35 p.m.

Guess what place a dead last finish in the Pac 12 for recruiting would be in the WAC 2.0(mwc)?

#1.

Which isn't surprising considering the Pac 12 went 14-1 against the wac2.0(mwc) last year. A "small fish" in the big 12 is still bigger than a "big fish" in the WAC

Excited for the future, still a believer in Whittingham.

He's taken us to the top of the nation before. He'll do it again.

Feb. 5, 2014 10:05 p.m.

@pocy

"He changed his mind, so did Utah. It's as easy as that."

Well half of that is true, the other half is you spinning away. lol

• Crow Sandy , UT
    Feb. 5, 2014 10:43 p.m.

Once again Duckhunter you are wrong. Utah coaches decided that the TE position was not a priority in the class and spent less effort recruiting Tukuafu in the end. Utah has 5 returning TE's that are lower class man 2 were redshirt Freshman so the need for a TE in this class was not there. When I talked to one of the coaches tonight at the LOI party he said they believe that Westlee Tonga will get a medical redshirt this year that would give Utah 6 TE's. If Tonga comes back they have their starter already in place with Moeai as his back up who played significant minutes when Murphy was hurt.

There is no spin Utah went another way and good for Tukuafu he got a scholarship at a local school and hopefully he can contribute to the Aggies.

• Christine B. Hedgefog Salt Lake City, UT
    Feb. 5, 2014 10:44 p.m.

"He's taken us to the top of the nation before. He'll do it again."
    LOL, that's a good one. The battle cry from 6 years ago 'We're #2, We're #2'

He better get you to the top of the nation THIS SEASON, because it'll likely be his last shot at it.

Glad to see Chrissy comparing the PAC basement Utes against BYU again. So much for leaving the Y in the past as they move onward and upward, I think that's still how she's describing it. Where's Urban Legend when you need him?

• BeSmart Cheyenne, WY
    Feb. 6, 2014 7:56 a.m.

Well CB only references one source calls into question the validity (education) of his point. Check out ESPN 3-4 star guys 14-star and a transfer receiver that was a 3 star coming out of High school with 1-1000 yard receiving season for BYU (not calculated in average on any site). Utah per ESPN 1-4-star (Lowell Lotulelei late qualifier) 12-3star Which class sounds better considering 4-star players are impact players (that is the definition of 4 star)?
    I think the Utes got exactly what they needed in speed and it will be fun to see.
    Hopefully DJ Law can qualify, but signing a double letter of intent is not a good sign.

• BeSmart Cheyenne, WY
    Feb. 6, 2014 8:36 a.m.

sorry
    14-3star

• Ed Grady Idaho Falls, ID
    Feb. 6, 2014 9:01 a.m.

I'm beginning to feel sorry for Whittingham. I think he knows that the Utes will always be at the bottom of the Pac-12, and it will cost him his job. Too bad - he was top dog in the MWC.

• U 90 Corona, CA
    Feb. 6, 2014 10:29 a.m.

@Joe Schmoe "Welcome to irrelevancy"
    How does it feel to be 0-4 against an irrelevant program. What does that make BYU, sub-irrelevant?

@Ed Grady "the Utes will always be at the bottom of the Pac-12"
    And BYU will never be invited to the PAC12 or a real conference. BYU was 0-2 against the middle to bottom of the PAC12 in 2013.

@Hedgefog "Glad to see Chrissy comparing the PAC basement Utes against BYU again"
    You do realize that we compare Utah to BYU to point out your hypocrisy. BYU was owned by the Utes in 2013, so why the smack Hedgy?

Feb. 6, 2014 10:58 a.m.

Duck

I stand by what I wrote. Utah wanted him, IF he was going to go on a mission, they didn't have space for a TE not named Dalton Shultz in this class.

You can spin it however you want to, but your bitterness toward Utah is sad. talk about LOL

• Wookie Omaha, NE
    Feb. 6, 2014 12:48 p.m.

Truth be told, and not that these are bad kids, but I am not impressed with the recruits or the recruiting efforts of Whit. I have a feeling that the U's inability to compete in the PAC 12 at a "respectable" level is beginning to show. I think Whit is a great guy, but his ability to maintain consistency in the offense and to create an identity may be a huge part of this problem. I am proud to be a member of the PAC 12, even if we haven't had the best showing as of yet. However, I do know that it is a matter of time before the U will be respectable again. They have the resources now and the conference to be able to bring in a big name coach. I don't get the comparisons that is taking place here between the Y and the U. One only has to look as far as the "w" column for true comparisons.

GO UTES!!

• let's roll LEHI, UT
    Feb. 6, 2014 3:33 p.m.

Unless we don't have an issue with having the SEC have two (or more) teams in the four team playoff every year, I propose we all stop giving any serious credence to the star system for recruiting.

The SEC has SEVEN of the top 10 recruiting classes this year. Only one team from the West (USC) was in the top 10 and they were number 10.

I'm concerned that the star rankings are unduly influenced by who is recruiting a player...if there are SEC schools recruiting a kid, he's suddenly a 4 star when there is nothing else to distinguish him from a 3 star recruit who may not be getting SEC interest because he's made it known he wants to go to school close to home.

The system allows SEC teams to argue to everyone (including the selection committee) that they have the best athletes and the best teams (although they rarely play other Big 5 teams in OOC games).

Those who lend too much credence to the star system and recruiting ranking are unwittingly perpetuating the SEC's attempted monopoly of college football...(slight hyperbole acknowledged).

• FT salt lake city, UT
    Feb. 6, 2014 3:39 p.m.

What happened yesterday is irrelevant but what happens on 12 days next year is. If Coach Whit does not have the Utes above .500 and to a bowl game he'll be on his own recruiting trip next year.

• Protecting This House Salt Lake City, UT
    Feb. 6, 2014 4:52 p.m.

Speed, speed, and more speed! Music to my ears. Looking forward to watching these track stars shining come September! Go Utes!

Feb. 9, 2014 1:14 p.m.

@pocy

I'm sure you're right, usually teams offer scholarships to kids, like utah did to this kid, because they don't really want them. Interestingly utah "fans" are also claiming that the JC wr BYU got from california, that utah also offered, really tried to sign his utah LOI but utah wouldn't accept it so he signed the BYU one instead.

I enjoy seeing utah "fans" trying so desperately to spin this stuff. Face it, these kid didn't want to go to utah and spend the holiday's home bowless with a losing record.

Feb. 9, 2014 9:52 p.m.

Duck

I never said Utah didn't want him. I said they didn't have room for him in this class. Had he stayed by his original plan, he would still be in Utah's plans. You see, since he was a sign and send he didn't count against this class anyway. But, as I said before, Utah didn't have room for him in THIS class.

That being said, it is also not uncommon for schools to take a commitment, then re-evaluate the class, and cut ties with the player.

In terms of Devon Blackmon, it is not true that he tried to send in a LOI, he did however want to commit to Utah, but they didn't take him as they had a commit from Kendric Young, the coaches opting for a freshman over a JUCO transfer.

You have admitted you only follow recruiting to about the extent of whatever the Herald reported. There are more sites that provide much more in-depth coverage and than the Herald.

Feb. 10, 2014 9:36 a.m.

@pocy

utah had several decommits in the last week or two leading up to signing day as well as a scholarship for frison if he had somehow decided to go to utah afterall which he did not. They had plenty of scholarships available for both Blackmon and Tukuafu and would have taken both if they had decided to sign. They did not want to sign with utah, just like frison did not want to sign with utah, trying to pretend utah didn't have room for them, when they obviously did, or didn't want them, just looks like desperate spin. It IS desperate spin.

utah "fans" have developed this fantasy that every recruit that has the choice between these 3 schools would prefer utah and if any of them goes to BYU or usu it is because utah "didn't want them" or "didn't have room for them" or some other rationalization to help protect that fantasy. Tell us again how many kids utah wound up signing? Wasn't it less than 20? They had room for both, they NEEDED both. Both just didn't want utah.

Feb. 10, 2014 10:41 a.m.

Again, your incorrect.

Utah finished with one extra schollie, that Whittingham said was already earmarked for someone, that has yet to be determined.

Utah definitely had some recommits that hurt. Frison was one and so was Donovon Wilson.

Just because it doesn't fit your thought process doesn't make it wrong. You only see the end result, and are going to spin it as negative toward Utah as you can. But that doesn't make your correct. I'm sorry, Duck, but I am absolutely correct on the Tukuafu and Blackmon.

Feb. 10, 2014 10:48 a.m.

Again, Duck

Your numbers show your lack of understanding on the Utah schollie situation. They have returning missionaries that are counting to this class.

Those are
    Vaha Vainuku
    Nua Poteki
    Austin Lee
    Lio Lafaele
    Lowell Lotulelei

Plus you have
    Chase Hansen,
    Harvey Langi

Both of them don't count toward the initials, but they count toward the 85 schollie limit.

This doesn't include transfer Gionni Paul, who is now on scholarship after sitting out a year from Miami

The fact is, Duck, you really don't know what the scholarship situation is, but you just want to put a negative spin on Utah in any way you can.

Feb. 10, 2014 9:58 p.m.

pocy are you saying chase hansen is coming back early from his mission? He played one year after HS and then left, this last season was the only one he has been gone. If he completes his entire mission he won't return until after next season. Are you just making stuff up to try and fit your narrative?

Feb. 11, 2014 7:17 a.m.

Duck

Chase Hansen gets back from his mission in December. I don't know when the timing of his schollie restarting will be, but it could be as soon as January of 2015

So no, I actually do know what I'm talking about here, and it was a nice try to gloss over all the other stuff to try and find a mistake that isn't there. A valiant attempt to support your wilting argument.

Feb. 11, 2014 8:30 a.m.

@pocy

"Chase Hansen gets back from his mission in December. I don't know when the timing of his schollie restarting will be....So no, I actually do know what I'm talking about here"

Huh? You don't know but you do know? You're trying hard but you are floundering. Step back, take a deep breath, come back and tell us where we can find documentation to verify your assertions. You claim it is on other sites, ok then tell me what they are so I can go to them and read it for myself. And no "utezone" is not credible, it is a ute apologetic site with no credibility.

Feb. 11, 2014 8:47 a.m.

Nice Try, Duck

I don't know when Chase goes back on scholarship. My guess is the coaches don't either. They have flexibility with him in terms of when they can implement it. I put him there as a point that it is a scholarship that has to be accounted for.

The more you accuse, the more obvious it is you are only bent on putting Utah in a bad light. The fact is I listed a handful of players that Utah has to account for from a scholarship situation. That includes 25 initial scholarships and 85 total scholarships. You claimed Utah had all the space in the world for Tukuafu this year, and I proved that was wrong. If you can't accept that, then I'm sorry, but it is the facts.

Feb. 11, 2014 8:50 a.m.

As for the validity of other sites, I know Cougarboard and the Herald are known as hubs for critically acclaimed information, but I'm pretty sure they might not be a hot bed for recruiting information.

Feb. 11, 2014 10:42 a.m.

@pocy

You "proved" nothing, you just made unsubstantiated claims and expect everyone to accept them as fact. I'm not sure why you think the Daily Herald is some sort recruiting site I rely on, maybe because I told eating crow the only time I've ever gone to a recruiting site is when I followed a link published in the Herald? They have a section that has links to recruiting sites and other publications that have articles about BYU and players BYU is recruiting. I sometimes follow those links if the headline looks interesting. As for Cougarboard I have never in my life been on Cougarboard and couldn't tell you anything about it other than I know what it is. I would never try to claim it is an unbiased authority on anything.

But I'm not the one claiming BYU didn't want players that signed with utah, you are the one claiming the opposite and I asked you to verify it because the claim of a utah fan in pocatello just isn't really all that credible. If you can't do that then I'll assume it is all hot air.

Feb. 11, 2014 11:44 a.m.

Duck

So if it's published from a link to the Herald, it must be true. Is that what you are telling me?

My numbers are common sense and reported on any number of sites. I would refer you to the Utah football school homepage, Deseret news articles and recruiting site articles who clearly identify sign and sends, when they are leaving and when they are coming back.

Therefore, you claim that Utah had plenty of scholarships available to Blackmon and Tukuafu has been proved as false.

In your statement to Crow, you also said you've never paid a cent for a recruiting site, perhaps you should, and you would learn the full story. Yes, I have found on both Scout and Rivals that the message board content can be pretty poor. The reports from the moderators have been accurate and substantiated. Certainly as reliable as any reporting complements of the Herald, or links to some high quality recruiting blogs. Talk about LOL

Feb. 11, 2014 4:13 p.m.

pocy the links from the herald are to scout and rivals so yes those are the ones I have read. I just haven't personally signed up for them, paid for them, or even gone to one of them on my o, only when I followed a link. the herald puts links to those sites every single day in one of its columns. You are coming off as sounding desperate. You still have not referred me to one single article or site that can verify that utah did not want, or did not have scholarships available, for two players that they offered scholarships to.

Now excuse my skepticism of your assertions but generally schools don't offer scholarships to kids if they don't want them and that is usually the sort of thing you hear from fans who are desperately trying to save face.

Once again please refer me to one, JUST ONE, reputable site that can verify your claims about those two athletes. You say it is all over the place so surely you can name just one of them?

Feb. 11, 2014 7:46 p.m.

Duck

You are confusing the 2 issues at hand. I have pointed out multiple sites completely debunking your assertion that Utah had multiple schollies available for Blackmon and Tukuafu. So please, keep that straight.

If you have followed recruiting, you would know that both teams and players cut ties for various reasons. And it makes sense. No team right now knows what it's needs are going to be next February, but yet they are already making offers for 2015 and 2016. Utah's need for a TE was limited to a sign and send or a complete stud. They only offered 7 total TEs. Compare that with WR 33, or 24 CB and 21 safeties. Where do you think Utah's focus was this class?

My source for my information is Rivals premium. You say you read Rivals, so I assume that you deem them reputable. Even if you don't, I don't really care. There is a reason why Rivals has the most subscriptions of any recruiting site.

Feb. 11, 2014 9:16 p.m.

@pocy

What you read on rivals was written by a utah homer, that is why utah "fans" like rivals so much. Rivals is actually the least reputable recruiting site, except in the minds of utah "fans", because they don't do much in the way of evaluation on their own. They base their stuff on who offered a kid and info they get from coaches who obviously have a bias. In fact rivals is rife with utah alums and utah homers so I have no doubt you read them d believe them, what they say fits your biased view of things.

The only thing we both know for sure is that utah offered both of those kids and the kids signed elsewhere. If utah truly didn't want them and told them to forget it then utah wouldn't have said a thing about it. Don't you find it the least bit curious that it was only the kids that signed at USU and BYU instead of utah that these sorts of rumors have come out about? Surely we would have heard the same about some other kids utah dropped that signed with other schools wouldn't we have?

Feb. 11, 2014 9:18 p.m.

Oh and pocy I didn't say that I read rivals, I said I have read some of their stuff. Like I said before they are the least reputable in my opinion, especially as it concerns utah. Isn't utezone part of the rivals network and dan sorenson one of rivals main guys? Doesn't sound particularly fair and unbiased to me.

Feb. 12, 2014 12:05 p.m.

Duck

First point:

You stated that Utah had plenty of scholarships available for Blackmon and Tukuafu. I gave you multiple sources that you statement was incorrect.

I don't know how you can continue to argue this point.

Feb. 12, 2014 12:08 p.m.

Duck

2nd point. I didn't insinuate that you only read Rivals. The fact that you sometimes read them means that yes you read them.

I do, however, find it interesting that you, who has admittedly said he has never paid a cent for a recruiting site would then be in a position to determine which site is reputable or not.

Feb. 12, 2014 10:04 p.m.

@pocy

You haven't given me any sources stating utah lacked scholarships, not one. As for rivals, well I know enough to know that one of the principals on the site is a utah homer, that they consistently rank utah commits higher than any other recruiting site, that they don't do personal evaluations of players but instead base them on what schools are recruiting a player and what some coaches tell them. That your "source" for saying it is utah homer, who runs a site affiliated with rivals called "utezone", and who constantly makes ridiculous claims about the quality of the utah program and its players and who it appears will say absolutely anything to spin losing a recruit to BYU or usu. I don't need any more than that but I'll give him credit for taking money from utah fans like yourself that are apparently willing to pay him to make stuff up to make you feel good.

Feb. 13, 2014 7:04 a.m.

Duck

Whittingham himself said in this article that they had 1 schollie. I gave you plenty of sources as to why they had less than the allotted 25 signees.

What more of a source do you want?

Feb. 13, 2014 7:07 a.m.

You are actually incorrect as to how rivals rates people.

All the recruits are evaluated by the national guys. Local guys have input, but the national guys have the final call.

As to your point that they should be rated according to the schools that offer, then Andre Godfrey is one of the top safeties in the nation.

And how would you explain Tavaris Williams a 2 star recruit who was offered by Georgia and Oregon.

Bias doesn't make someone incorrect.

Feb. 13, 2014 7:51 a.m.

Duck

I'm assuming from your statement that you feel that Rivals is an outlier in theirratings.

Let's look at the numbers.

Class Rankings for Utah:

Scout 33--Avg stars 2.69
    Rivals: 28--Avg 3.04
    ESPN not available

2011
    Scout: 39--avg stars 2.95
    Rivals: 37--avg stars 2.90

As you can see, overall rankings are pretty close, and in terms of 2012, and 2013, I think you could say rivals was more correct as Scout 2 stars Sese Ianu and Corporan (3 from Rivals) contributed right away.

OR by your criteria: Salesi Uhatafe Scout 2 star rivals 3, had offers from Texas Tech and ASU

Or Junior Salt rivals 4 and scout 3: with offers from AZ, ASU, Cal, Florida, K state, Oregon st.

Feb. 13, 2014 10:30 a.m.

Pocy I did not say that players SHOULD be rated based on who recruits them, I said that is rivals main criteria for how they rate, and it is. That is one reason why they are the least reputable in my opinion. And yes they over rate utah recruits constantly, rating them higher than any other site on average.

As for the number of scholarships utah had, well of course they are going to make that claim when they lose kids. Coaches say just about naything to rationalize the why's of losing a recruit and to appease fans.

What they don't tell you is who they signed instead after a kid rejected them. They try to claim they didn't really want the kid that rejected them and wanted the one that chose them more instead. I'm not buying it in either of these cases, utah was on these two kids right up until the end, they just decided they didn't want utah. Well plenty of other kids decided they didn't want utah either but the ones that went to usu and BYU are the ones they wanted to try to save face over.

Feb. 13, 2014 10:40 a.m.

Also if you look at those ratings you supplied you will see rivals has the actual star ratings of the players quite a bit higher than scout slmost every year, some of them substantially higher, like a half a star. Even the one year scout has a higher individual rating for utah's players rivals still had their class ranked higher. I'm not buying it, they are cooking the numbers and quite honestly I think the records utah is posting prove it. You've listed 4 years worth of signing classes which means some of those kids (JC ones)have gone all the way through the program already while the ones from their two top rated classes will be jr's and sr's, yet utah has posted losing seasons in the pac12 every year and overall the last two years. Surely they would have done better with recruits of that caliber if they really were that caliber? And no one is really expecting them to do much better next season despite thoe highest rated classes being jr's and sr's next season.

Feb. 13, 2014 11:25 a.m.

Duck

Commits are lined up well in advance. There were 2 commits for Utah that were day of decisions. 1 was DJ Law who committed to Utah, at the other was Frison who de-committed from Utah, but kept his options open, and took an unofficial visit to Utah the weekend before signing day. There are your schollies they weren't there.

As for your claim about Rivals' ranking system

Please show me documentation supporting your claim. You are the one who wants written proof of my statements, so I am asking the same from you.

The example of Tavaris Williams would also then be contrary to your claim. How is it that a recruit who received offers from 2 perennial top 10 programs would only stay a 2 star. You can't have it both ways.

Feb. 13, 2014 11:55 a.m.

Duck

Utah had about 175 offers out. 24 committed. I have offered you the back story on 2 commits. The absolute vast majority chose somewhere else despite the fact that Utah really wanted them, that includes the 5 other BYU commits.

It isn't a bias issue, or spin issue Duck. Sometimes it really is the real story. Some people are biased for Utah some against, and it will skew the perception accordingly.

Feb. 18, 2014 9:32 a.m.

@pocy

The article in the tribune over the weeked about utah signing all 4 of the players that are leaving on missions completely blows your false assertions out of the water. It also states utah still has one more shcolarship available that that could use to sign another player if they want. In otherwords you were completely wrong, completely false, and you kept being wrong and false for who knows how many posts.

It states right in the article that utah still had 5 scholarships available after signing day and since they had no one to fill them they went ahead and signed the 4 missionaries anyway and still have another shcolarship "left over" on top of those 4. lol