Faith

For Olympian Kate Hansen, luge is more than just an athletic endeavor; it's a Mormon missionary opportunity

Comments

• BYUalum South Jordan, UT
    Feb. 6, 2014 7:11 a.m.

Go Kate Hansen! We applaud your courage and determination to excel. Thank you for being such a terrific role model for many. I am sure this story will go far and wide. Congratulations on your life no matter what happens! You are a winner!

• islandboy Honolulu, HI
    Feb. 6, 2014 2:40 p.m.

Thank-you for a very inspiring article!

• Evrett Park City, UT
    Feb. 6, 2014 3:03 p.m.

This is Evrett Benton sending you this message.

My wife Cheryl and I are the friends mentioned in this article, who helped Kate with her
    broken foot, and we were very honored to have been in the right place, at the right time to be able to help Kate.

I would just like to say that it was my dear wife Cheryl, not me, who John Hansen initially called to request help for Kate.
    Also, Cheryl was the one who went to the hospital to see Kate right after John called her, and she also was there
    to help Kate when she raced for the first time after her foot was broken.

I appreciate my wife, and both Cheryl and I are profoundly grateful to have had John and Kathie Hansen and their
    incredible family in our lives for many years. They are truly "The Best of the Best", and they've always been an inspiration to us, on many levels.

Go Kate! Our thoughts, prayers, love and wishes for success are with you!

• Evrett Park City, UT
    Feb. 6, 2014 3:20 p.m.

This is Evrett Benton.

I just want to say that it was actually my dear wife Cheryl who John Hansen initially phoned to ask for help with
    Kate's broken foot, and it was Cheryl who immediately went to the hospital to see Kate. It was also Cheryl who
    was there to help Kate the first time she raced on her broken foot.

It was a great honor for both of us to have had the opportunity to help Kate during her recent trying time. We are so very proud of all the progress she's made since then!

Also, Cheryl and I are deeply grateful to have had John and Kathie Hansen's family in our lives for many years.
    Each Hansen family member excels to "the max" in their chosen endeavors. In fact, they are all "The Best of the Best" on many levels, and great examples to us!

Go Kate! Our thoughts, prayers, love, and wishes for success are with you!

• BYU Track Star Los Angeles, CA
    Feb. 6, 2014 4:04 p.m.

I wonder if this story merits the cover of "People" Magazine. I'd certainly rather read about Kate's Adventures and possible romance at The Olympic Games. Some of us are not so cynical that we can hope, can't we?

• Ernest T. Bass Bountiful, UT
    Feb. 6, 2014 4:20 p.m.

I bet tons of people get baptized cause of this.

• Marcuslane Seattle, WA
    Feb. 6, 2014 9:38 p.m.

Go Kate! What a great story, keep up the good work, great dance moves and all that!

• The Scientist Provo, UT
    Feb. 7, 2014 4:50 a.m.

Participation in the Olympics should be an opportunity to pursue athletic excellence and be an ambassador of the good will of sport and athletic competition. It should not be used as an opportunity to push one's own religious agenda.

• jeanie orem, UT
    Feb. 7, 2014 7:55 a.m.

As long as she's not handing out pass along cards to everyone in the press, petitioning the Olympic organizers to allow the Mormon missionaries to pray at the beginning of each event and mingle with the athlete and spectators, I'm sure she's fine. : )

It's never a problem to be an example of the believers - of which she is a great one! Thanks Kate and Godspeed.

• Mayfair City, Ut
    Feb. 7, 2014 8:16 a.m.

The Scientist--Participation in the comments on articles about Mormons for Mormons should be an opportunity to pursue commenting on the articles and be an ambassador of the good will Mormons hope to promote in the world. It should not be used as an opportunity to push one's own non-religious anti-Mormon agenda.

• The Scientist Provo, UT
    Feb. 7, 2014 10:14 a.m.

Mayfair,

I'm sorry, I missed the "for Mormons Only" warnings, and the required login that checks to ensure only Mormons are allowed to read and comment on DN articles.

Will you kindly point out where those are?

Until then, as a non-member "participant" in the Mormon community (being married to a Mormon), I will continue to offer my opinions and perspectives with the hope that Mormons will not try to censor or condemn me for not conforming to their beliefs.

• 1.96 Standard Deviations OREM, UT
    Feb. 7, 2014 12:20 p.m.

The Scientist:

If a Russian indicated they had an overwhelmingly good feeling when around you in the past, and later researched atheism and was preparing to become part of it, you would decline sharing your valued beliefs with such person to not "push an agenda?" I thought you loved and took pride in your atheism? How could you decline to share such enlightenment with someone?

P.S. - Thank you for continuing to pay your tithing to the LDS church through your member wife. You are the man! If you don't happen to reconsider getting baptized into the church while in mortality, your own tithing is helping construct temples where we can baptize you for the dead later. I am sure you will at least have a change of heart in the Spirit World as soon as you realize you don't cease to exist with mortal death. Being married to a member and paying your tithing is a win-win situation for you! :)

• ed in atl Duluth, GA
    Feb. 7, 2014 2:47 p.m.

Scientist - I don't think Kate is pushing her religion. She was approached by someone that researched her and was humble enough to find the truck. It takes faith and humility!
    Also, well said to 1.96 in Orem.

• The Scientist Provo, UT
    Feb. 7, 2014 4:29 p.m.

1.96,

IF I discover I am still alive after I die, I promise I will find you and "eat proverbial crow".

Until then, I don't get much out of cosmic snipe hunts.

• Martin Handcart Descendant Azusa, CA
    Feb. 7, 2014 5:07 p.m.

Thank you for this very uplifting Olympian's story of hard work, struggle, discouragement, disappointment, failure, success, and victory. Such an emotional roller-coaster ride! My wife and I always love watching the Olympics. Now we have someone very special to root for. Go Kate Hansen!!!

• NedGrimley Brigham City, UT
    Feb. 10, 2014 8:32 a.m.

Methinks Scientist only read the headline, not the article. She was approached by someone who had already accepted her faith.

That said:

" I'm sorry, [she] missed the "[no proselytizing]" warnings, and the required [personal pledge to keep her mouth shut] that checks to ensure only [non-proselytizers] are allowed to [compete in the Olympics].

[Scientist], Will you kindly point out where those are?

Until then, as a ... "participant" in the [International Olympic] community ([being an olympic competitor]), [she is entitled to] continue to offer [her] opinions[, testimony] and perspectives with the hope that [non-]Mormons will not try to censor or condemn [her] for not conforming to their beliefs. "

Sorry, you opened yourself up for that one...

• donn layton, UT
    Feb. 10, 2014 9:17 a.m.

RE:b 1.96 Standard Deviations, Being married to a member and paying your tithing is a win-win situation for you?
    My spouse is a Mormon but I tithe to a Christian church(monotheism).

When BYU’s football team was national champions in 1984 the Stake President wrote an article on what a blessing this was and would be for the missionary work of the church and that it could be a powerhouse for the future? Apparently God did not bless it.
    Shortly after this for different reasons I told the Bishop that I became a Christian and left the Church

• LetsDebate PLEASANT GROVE, UT
    Feb. 10, 2014 11:46 a.m.

@Scientist,

I'm sure Kate Hansen is sorry. She probably missed the "for Non-Religious Only" warnings, and the required login that checks to ensure only atheists, agnostics, and intimidated-into-silence believers are allowed to participate in Olympics competition.

Will you kindly point out where those are?

Until then, as a Mormon "participant" in the Olympics community, I'm sure Kate will continue to offer her opinions and perspectives, WHEN SOLICITED, with the hope that freedom-of-speech loving, open-minded people all over the world will not try to censor or condemn her for not cowering to the fascist requirements of the radical anti-religious.

One question - why do you believe that you, as a DN commenter, should enjoy more freedom of association and freedom of speech than an Olympic athlete?

• gee-en Salt Lake City, UT
    Feb. 10, 2014 2:20 p.m.

What great experiences for Kate and for the Russian gentleman! Thanks for the interesting and uplifting article.

• GeoMan SALEM, OR
    Feb. 10, 2014 4:55 p.m.

Scientist,

Mayfair was nicely, and subtly, trying to point out to you that your pronouncement was, at best, hypocritical. You simply added an exclamation point to that fact by your response.

To put it less subtly, it doesn't say anywhere that non-Mormons can't post, just like it doesn't say anywhere that someone can't use the Olympics as an opportunity to "push one's own religious agenda." Having said that, it is a completely illogical leap to jump from the content of the article to talk of someone "pushing" their religion.

If I receive a plate of cookies and choose to offer to share them with my co-workers, should I be labeled a cookie-pusher? I think not, but I suppose others would disagree. In the case of events described in the article, a better analogy would be co-workers coming to my cubicle and asking for a cookie.

• Coach101 Houston, TX
    Feb. 11, 2014 9:36 a.m.

Evrett Benton - hope all is well - this is Lane Larson - we knew each other in Argentina - now we are in Egypt - sounds like you are still doing great things. Get to follow a lot of the Olympics in real time over here.
    Small world - please pass on our regards to Cheryl
    Chau

• oldschool Farmington, UT
    Feb. 11, 2014 12:22 p.m.

Excellent article. I skip over most Mormon-bashing comments. Sometimes I correct misstatements made about the LDS Church and its beliefs, but I've learned over the years that those who try most earnestly to denigrate and mock the church at every opportunity often are a perfect advertisement for it. A friend was telling me yesterday how he took the time to talk with a lesbian protester at Temple Square. She was preaching that Mormons don't allow gays in the Church. He corrected her. At first she argued that she knew church policy and doctrine better than he did, but when he assured her that he had gay relatives who were welcome at church, she eventually calmed down. Let us all stick to facts and avoid name calling. As for atheists, I ask them to reconsider and at least move up to the agnostic level. The difference between an agnostic and a believer is very little. One has faith. A believer doesn't know there is a God but wants to know there is a God and strives to strengthen that faith. A believer has the faith to believe that living God's laws will result in eternal blessings.

• derecha Central, UT
    Feb. 11, 2014 2:32 p.m.

Scientist,

I guess Kate Hansen should simply stop being who she is and therefore, her religion won't be able to be shared while at the Olympics, or any other event she attends. Did you read the article? A man was converted to the church because of a "feeling" that he had about her and then he looked her up on the internet. Did she share anything with him in words, did she give him any literature, a pass-along card, or even a Book of Mormon? No, she was just herself and someone felt something different about her. Sorry that you're offended about that.

• Old But Not Stupid Moorpark, CA
    Feb. 11, 2014 3:28 p.m.

Scientist

Ouch! You may want to change your call sign. You surely received a ton of correction--remains to be seen if it registered with you.

A little humility, I've learned, goes a long way. It also may assist one in learning about spiritual things.