Faith

Wright Words: Did a heavenly prompting save a girl from winter tragedy?

Comments

• Surfs Up Huntington Beach, CA
    Feb. 4, 2014 6:36 a.m.

Great story! Thanks for sharing..

• jeanie orem, UT
    Feb. 4, 2014 7:18 a.m.

I believe the Lord spares up from some tragedies and not from others - but both are important for our growth.

When I was about this girl's age I was protected as well. Suddenly I was in grave danger where I was standing and within seconds I was moved out of harm's way in such a manner that it would have been physically impossible for me to have moved myself, and no one had been near me. I believe fervently I had received divine help. However, I have not always been so miraculously spared.

I am happy for this family. The mom and the author were wise to use this as a teaching moment. Aknowledging when we have been divinely protected can give us the faith that, should we not be spared on other occasions, the Lord is with us still and will see us through.

• Apocalypse please Bluffdale, UT
    Feb. 4, 2014 7:28 a.m.

Contrast this story with the many other stories where children, or whoever, get injured or killed. Of course a death or an injury can be seen as an opportunity to draw closer to a deity through adversity. It's a win-win in either situation for faith, I guess.

• And_im_a_mormon Salt Lake City, UT
    Feb. 4, 2014 7:39 a.m.

Let's not forget about the hundreds of people who heard a prompting, just to go back inside their house to have it explode from a natural gas leak. God works in mysterious ways...

• Brahmabull sandy, ut
    Feb. 4, 2014 8:37 a.m.

I have a hard time believing god prompts some so that they may survive, but allows countless others to die, with no prompting or no help from above. It doesn't add up.

• 1.96 Standard Deviations OREM, UT
    Feb. 4, 2014 8:56 a.m.

Brahmabull:

You made an assumption that deserves some scrutiny. How do you know those who die or are severely injured receive no prompting or help from above? God knows what is best and he deals with us justly and mercifully on an individual basis.

Here are some other thoughts:

1) One can receive a prompting and decide to ignore it or may fear to heed it
    2) One's spiritual condition may be such that he/she is not receptive to promptings or is even in "tune" with the "signal" God sends
    3) God's wisdom is much greater than our own. Some of us need to be brought down low before we can be lifted up to a better (spiritual) condition
    4) Tragic situations often act like a refiner's fire. Help from above can come after the trial of our faith as opposed to prevent a problem from occurring in the first place.

• 1.96 Standard Deviations OREM, UT
    Feb. 4, 2014 9:02 a.m.

Brahmabull:

One other thought why God allows bad things to happen to people. Consider Alma 14:10-11:

"10 And when Amulek saw the pains of the women and children who were consuming in the fire, he also was pained; and he said unto Alma: How can we witness this awful scene? Therefore let us stretch forth our hands, and exercise the power of God which is in us, and save them from the flames.

11 But Alma said unto him: The Spirit constraineth me that I must not stretch forth mine hand; for behold the Lord receiveth them up unto himself, in glory; and he doth suffer that they may do this thing, or that the people may do this thing unto them, according to the hardness of their hearts, that the judgments which he shall exercise upon them in his wrath may be just; and the blood of the innocent shall stand as a witness against them, yea, and cry mightily against them at the last day."

God received in glory those who were being murdered by fire. God also permitted this to occur so the blood of the innocent acts as a witness at the final judgement against the evil people.

• Mountanman Hayden, ID
    Feb. 4, 2014 9:03 a.m.

Brahmabull. Jesus taught us, "All things are possible for them that believe (have faith)". That adds up very well and explains why some people get promptings and some don't. And I might add, we are all appointed to die but what is important is not how we die but how we live! One day we will be judged not on how we died but how we lived in faith and obedience.

• B1essed Lehi, Ut
    Feb. 4, 2014 10:39 a.m.

Thank you. We need more uplifting stories in the news. This is something I will share with my family and is a good reminder of not only being thankful, but also giving Thanks.

• Tyler D Meridian, ID
    Feb. 4, 2014 11:45 a.m.

I had an earlier comment about this story but the DN censors placed it hold. It did not contain anything offensive or any personal attacks, but was just adding a rational/scientific perspective to the discussion.

No doubt it will be “released” after everyone has viewed and commented on this article… in the meantime, enjoy the uplifting feelings.

• DocHolliday reno, NV
    Feb. 4, 2014 1:40 p.m.

1.96 Standard Deviations

So young children who die have been prompted from above? Children so young that they can't even walk or talk? There are unspeakable tragedies that happen. How can a child death somehow benefit the parents to make them 'stronger'? Is that the price god is willing to pay for the parents to be stronger - to take their child away from them? I highly doubt that. Not a chance.

• 1.96 Standard Deviations OREM, UT
    Feb. 4, 2014 2:29 p.m.

DocHolliday:

As far as a child's welfare is concerned, D&C 137:10 says, "[...] all children who die before they arrive at the years of accountability are saved in the celestial kingdom of heaven." How merciful of a loving God this is!

As for the parent(s), I highly recommend you watch the true account of a man whose pregnant wife and two of his children died in a car accident due to a drunk teenage driver. Do a YouTube search for "Forgiveness: My Burden Was Made Light." The video is a little over 8 minutes and is the first result.

Truly this good man's account will answer your question a lot better than I can! I sincerely hope you can find value in this short video. Please see it!

• Pops NORTH SALT LAKE, UT
    Feb. 4, 2014 5:07 p.m.

"Is that the price god is willing to pay for the parents to be stronger - to take their child away from them? I highly doubt that."

Looking at the price God himself willingly and voluntarily paid so that we could be forgiven of our sins, one is forced to conclude that any hardship we face in this life pales in comparison. It doesn't make our difficulties trivial or easy by any stretch of the imagination, but it does provide a different perspective.

God deals with individuals based on the needs and circumstances of each individual. There isn't a rule that says, "If God saves one child, he must save all children." We should be grateful for the blessings we receive, and learn and grow from the experiences we have when the desired blessing is withheld.

• JSB Sugar City, ID
    Feb. 4, 2014 6:24 p.m.

Good things and bad things can happen to everyone. But, if you have received a spiritual prompting and followed it and in the process have avoided a tragedy, you know that promptings can and do happen. God has his own purposes and it will all make sense someday.

• desert Potsdam, 00
    Feb. 4, 2014 6:38 p.m.

As she was moving back into the house, there was something missing in our observation.

She might not have been saved by divine interference alone, but if her mother had forced her back outside, what then ?

Once again, I went back over the years of my own childhood, and I must admit there were many occasions at which I was preserved, but in a manner that would not make me recognize divine assistance, but as children used to think and plan.
    How often however, parents and adults are offended by the way children respond and act.
    It might be God who has spoken to them, we just need to be careful about each move we make to adjust children to their new environment.

NOT meaning everything children do and think will lead them to safety!

But we are having a hard time to recognize them being near to God, when danger is at hand.
    And her miracle is never to be compared to other children, because our limited understanding of God's love for each case will give us false assumptions in return.

Thanks for this article.

• Tekakaromatagi Dammam, Saudi Arabia
    Feb. 5, 2014 8:17 a.m.

@And_Im_a_Mormon:
    "Let's not forget about the hundreds of people who heard a prompting, just to go back inside their house to have it explode from a natural gas leak."

How would we know? Those people are dead. Facts, not speculation.

• donn layton, UT
    Feb. 5, 2014 9:13 a.m.

RE: Mountanman, as it is appointed unto men once to die, but after this the judgment.(Heb 9:27). Heaven awaits those who live a holy and spotless Christian life, on the contrary, hell fire awaits sinners, those who refuse to receive Jesus Christ (Luke 16:19-23).

@1.96 Standard Deviations, D&C 137:10 says, "[...] all children who die before they arrive at the years of accountability are saved in the celestial kingdom of heaven."
    Then Abortion would be a better method of saving souls than what anti-abortionists favor now (let the children grow up and hope they convert).

• vangroovin West Jordan, UT
    Feb. 5, 2014 1:24 p.m.

Thanks for sharing this experience in this article! It's a great reminder to remain worthy of those sacred promptings. I know God has a plan for each of us, and those little promptings that come are His way of helping us achieve our own unique plan.

• Kazbert VAIL, AZ
    Feb. 5, 2014 3:47 p.m.

In raising our own little children, we often must deny them things that they ask for because we know it wouldn't be good for them. We also give them unsolicited, spontaneous acts of tenderness just because we love them. It might seem capricious to our children if they bothered to try to work out all the reasons why behind every one of our actions, but most children are just glad to have parents who love them and who they can trust. That's no different from how God treats us, His children. Last year a friend suffered the heart-wrenching sadness of finding her grandson dead in her backyard pool -- the gate was still locked. They have no idea how he got in there. I imagine that a part of their agony was wondering why they weren't prompted in time to save him. God did not send us here to be free from adversities and pains of all kinds. He sent us here to learn to walk by faith, and a large part of that faith is trust. And Christ isn't just our redeemer; He's our healer as well.

• comments and stuff spanish fork, UT
    Feb. 5, 2014 4:09 p.m.

what a sweet story. we need to hear good news too

• desert Potsdam, 00
    Feb. 5, 2014 4:22 p.m.

Thanks Lillian Robinson, thank you Mother Stephanie Robinson and DN Jason Wright.

Lillian, I cannot stop thinking about your story, it was meant for the day but seems to become a good night story forever. You should know, this is the love for life that keeps us going and makes us hope that many of us will be spared the same way. God may bless you. Thank You.

• comments and stuff spanish fork, UT
    Feb. 5, 2014 9:15 p.m.

checking it out again, i didn't find a source for speculation that the girl received any promptings. she responded to mother with, " I don't know. " mother returned to her housework with a mild curiosity of why the girl came inside earlier than she would have anticipated.
    it is a sweet little story, but ... just a story

• desert Potsdam, 00
    Feb. 6, 2014 3:15 p.m.

@ comments and stuff

To the reader of circumstances and spiritual promptings it needs some reading in between lines to come up with what actually happened.

She shrugged her shoulders saying : I don't really know.

For a child this is an indication of hiding something, like have a plan of her own, or having thought of coming back inside to do more important bussines such as her doll in need of something etc...that is when the Spirit is interferring on the level of a child.
    Speaking to the child in the language of a child.
    They are not adults and do may act odd, heavenly assistance is still playing a significant role, since you need to look at the outcome.There is no such coincident.

• Rikitikitavi Cardston, Alberta
    Feb. 6, 2014 6:58 p.m.

@Kaz....Wow! Thank-you.

• Brahmabull sandy, ut
    Feb. 7, 2014 9:49 a.m.

desert

You are really reaching there with your explanation, and you are basically making things up. She was asked and said she didn't know. It is that simple. Sometimes we do things and we don't know why. Like the time I was riding my motorcycle at night and was approaching a light and it turned yellow - with plenty of time for me to go through. I decided to slow down and stop instead. Well just as I did a car went flying through the light the other way. It may have hit me, it may not have, but it would have been close. That doesn't mean god told me to stop, it just happened to work out that way.

Conversely, there are many incidents per day of people who have the opposite fate - decide to stop only to get rear ended by another car... It is just coincidence.

• desert Potsdam, 00
    Feb. 7, 2014 1:41 p.m.

Coincidence back and forth, from the view point of mortals, everything is just bang...a concidence.

I will ask you next life when God will call on you to go to earth to save one of your great/gandchildren, but please do it in such a way, that people cannot use it against religion or their test of life in faith. Difficult.

The oversight God has does give us enough room to choose in each instance, but his knowledge is far from shortsightness, in his world there may be pleasant circumstances, but conincidence is far from divine thinking.

So here we are again. I was trying to make a smart guess, how God might have interferred in her life, by touch, urge or fear, or by language of a child that could not be pronounced in words at that time : Hence ...I really don't know !

Let it be, it was a sweet story to encourage her for a life time.
    Leave it this way.

• The Scientist Provo, UT
    Feb. 8, 2014 6:19 a.m.

Sometimes in the grand snipe hunt that is religious life, we experience illusory correlations between our ritualistic religious practices and ambiguous events. These moments allow religious interpretations and supernatural attributions to events that can leave even some skeptics tempted to wonder, especially when the events involve innocent children whose welfare tugs at our heart strings.

But a god who would seemingly randomly save some innocents but abandon countless others to suffering and destruction is either not the loving and benevolent god religion preaches, or is just as apathetic and indifferent to mankind as is an indifferent naturalistic universe some attribute to atheistic science.

Either way, no one can ignore the fact that countless innocent children suffer and die around the world with no "savior", and that fact reflects very badly on any theistic proposition.

• G L W8 SPRINGVILLE, UT
    Feb. 10, 2014 5:58 a.m.

As long as we're in this mortal life, we'll have as least two sides to this question, which is very old. Historically speaking, it goes back at least to the European Middle Ages, long before modern science crept into the picture, where a common question was "If God loves us so, why does he allow us to suffer?" Those who ask this question don't accept that we are mortal, God is Eternal: "For my athoughts are not your thoughts, neither are your ways my ways, saith the Lord.For as the heavens are higher than the earth, so are my ways higher than your ways, and my cthoughts than your thoughts." (Isaiah 55:8-9)
    We had a tragedy many years ago, but my mother was prepared for it in a series of dreams. Non-believers may well ask: "Why her and not others?" The answer is found in how willing an individual is to accept God's thoughts and ways, exercising faith. "The Prophet Joseph once declared, 'Where doubt is, there faith has no power.'” (Gordon B. Hinckley, quoting from Lectures on Faith, Salt Lake City: Deseret Book Co., 1985, p. 46).

• antodav TAMPA, FL
    Feb. 17, 2014 2:44 p.m.

Maybe. Maybe just coincidence though. If there really is such a thing, which is questionable at best. Children tend to be much more in tune with the Spirit than adults are, so this is entirely possible.