Brad Rock: Story won't change for Jimmer Fredette

Comments

• Trevvor Sandy, UT
    Jan. 27, 2014 10:52 p.m.

"On Monday he checked in at the start of the second quarter to a mild cheer, as well as mild boos, from a mildly interested crowd. A smattering of boos greeted him whenever he touched the ball, a rattle of cheers arose when he scored."

Like I posted on the earlier article:

Some local "fans" need to grow up. I've been to quite a few Jazz games against Jimmer, Bogut, Andre Miller, and Damian Lillaird. I've cheered for them all loudly. For some reason a portion of the fans feel the need to boo the Jimmer. Still bent out of shape over the 47 points he dropped on them maybe? Whatever it is, time to grow up kids. Only a sad little brother would continue to boo someone simply because he owned your local program in college

If fans don't like Jimmer supporters cheering when he scores - that's fine, understandable. But to boo the guy just for entering the game or touching the ball - that screams little brother. Grow up little kids.

• Big 12 Call Yet? Ogden, UT
    Jan. 27, 2014 10:55 p.m.

Don't these other teams know Jimmer is a lottery pick?

Where are all the lottery offers in exchange for lottery Jimmer? How come we aren't hearing of teams offering first round lottery picks for first round lottery Jimmer?

Surely there must be tons of teams willing to give up a first round pick for first round Jimmer? Whats going on ?

• 2013 Ute Seniors SWEEP byU 4-0 Ogden, UT
    Jan. 27, 2014 11:03 p.m.

The Kings management have told the coach to give him a few minutes in hopes of convincing some team to take him. So far, no interested parties.

As far as his lack of athleticism, go ahead and compare him to Steve Nash byu fans. Lets hear it.

Euro basketball can't wait to get Jimmer!

• rlsintx Plano, TX
    Jan. 27, 2014 11:48 p.m.

Don't write this kid off.
    Someone will pick him up next summer and he'll play a long time.

• Vladhagen Salt Lake City, UT
    Jan. 27, 2014 11:59 p.m.

Jimmer will always be a role player in the NBA. And that is okay. He was a pudgy white kid who has become someone who works in a business that only a few 100 people in the world work in at any one point. He won POY in college. Most people label that as a legitimate accomplishment. While we sit on the DN comment boards, he cashes in checks for.......more than we make.......in a lifetime. He is a success. End of story. He has figured out the fact that life is bigger than petty ramblings about conferences and alma mater.

• Quite Frankly Provo, UT
    Jan. 28, 2014 12:22 a.m.

I'm sure he's not surprised by the boos. There are more Utah fans at the Jazz games than Byu fans anyway since it's right in Ute territory. Remember when the Byu baby was booed not too long ago? Anyway, I like Jimmer. Coming in to the league, a lot of NBA scouts said he'd struggle to be complete player and it looks as if they were right. Being a lottery pick three years ago means nothing right now. It looks as if he's not going to be in the league for too much longer as more and more talented college players come in, unfortunately someone gets pushed out. I think he'll end up in Europe playing in the near future.

• Sparkley Briefs New York, NY
    Jan. 28, 2014 6:34 a.m.

Hard to feel bad for a guy earning millions to play with NBA stars, but I hope Jimmer lands somewhere where he is appreciated and can play regularly.

• I Choose Freedom Atlanta, GA
    Jan. 28, 2014 6:38 a.m.

Big 12 Call Yet, the tone of your comments leave me wondering more about the type of person that you are than the type of player Jimmer is. Why are you so harsh towards Jimmer? Did he do something to you personally?

I don't get the nesty attitude displayed by so many towards a kid just trying to play basketball. Has Jimmer ever done anything off the court to warrant such hatred? Not that I am aware of. In fact, he seems to be a really nice person in every way measureable. So why the hate? I just don't get it.

• md Cache, UT
    Jan. 28, 2014 6:39 a.m.

@ Big 12

Seems like Trevvor had you pegged before you made your comment. As a graduate of the U of U, I am embarrassed of the Ute fans. You may say that BYU fans are classless, but where is the evidence? They don't boo against 2-year-old children wearing UofU shirts at Jazz games. They don't boo Miller or Bogut when they come to town. I think it boils down to the fact that some of the Ute fans are a jealous lot who can't get over the fact that Jimmer owned them, for a season.

I hope Jimmer gets a chance to shine in a role that suits him. I imagine Miami would love to have him standing out in 3-land while the opponent quadruple teams James.

• Fibonacci Centerville, UT
    Jan. 28, 2014 6:45 a.m.

To many classless fans at Jazz games for me. When you Boo a 2 year old kid because he has a BYU shirt on, or you boo a performing dance team from BYU, to say nothing of booing Fredette for entering the game, I think it's pathetic. Save it for Rice Eccles or the Huntsman. Does your HATE run that deep? Maybe it's time for some counseling.

• KimmyP Granstville, UT
    Jan. 28, 2014 7:21 a.m.

I've heard with the money Jimmer made as a lottery pick, he's planning to purchase a D League team and put it in Provo. The name of the team will be, Jimmer'sTime.

Can't wait to see him light it up once again, he'll go for 50 every night. Good times,baby!

• TheNun Granstville, UT
    Jan. 28, 2014 8:08 a.m.

@ Fibonacci
    Centerville, UT

The reason they do it is because of the reaction those like you give them each time. If people weren't so sensitive to the jibes tossed towards the Y, it wouldn't be nearly as "fun" for those doing the jibbing.

The response from BYU nation merely follows the laws of physics, "for every action, there is an equal and opposite reaction." LOL

• UteNationAlum Cottonwood Heights, UT
    Jan. 28, 2014 9:30 a.m.

This is one Ute fan that hopes Jimmer can succeed in the NBA. Hopefully he can find a team to give him that opportunity. The Kings are a poorly run organization period.

Jimmer is a class act. I apologize on behalf of my fellow Utes who act so immature.

Good luck Jimmer!

• Uncle Rico Sandy, UT
    Jan. 28, 2014 9:36 a.m.

I am a Jimmer fan and have been for years.

That being said, he has lost his swagger and confidence. it was actually painful to watch him play last night.
    I saw 3 unforced turnovers in 8 min. I was embarrassed for him. Jimmer has made millions, I believe he will exit the NBA, play in Europe for 2 years and hang it up. In the end, he still got to play NBA and make millions.

If he does get his confidence back that could change things, but I doubt that will happen.

• gotold Ivins, UT
    Jan. 28, 2014 9:45 a.m.

I'm not a Ute or a cougar so I may be more balanced in my approach to Jimmer than some of the earlier posts here. Jimmer was a very good basketball scorer in college because a good coach maximized his strengths and minimized his weaknesses. That can't be done in the NBA..... except in very short and very special situations. Jimmer will score anywhere he plays but he will always be a big defensive liability and way too slow. So let him play to the best of his abilities and stop the booing and critical remarks about this nice and likeable young man.

• IDC Boise, ID
    Jan. 28, 2014 10:08 a.m.

I was actually surprised with Jimmer's defense last night. I know he isn't great but he got a steal and a rebound and I didn't see the guy he was covering score on him. The 3 turnovers were a little sad and his confidence seems low. Hope he gets more time in Sacramento or finds a team that suits his abilities better.

• Winglish Lehi, UT
    Jan. 28, 2014 10:09 a.m.

Jimmer has a positive defensive win share for the first time in his career. His assist-to-turnover ratio is better than nearly 2/3 of his teammates. He has been shooting 90/50/40 for most of the season, something only six or seven other players in history have done. His three point percentage was leading the league until last night (dipped to 48% last night). His free throw percentage is in the top three in the NBA.
    The numbers speak for themselves. Jimmer is having some success in his limited minutes. I think being a role player as a spot up shooter is perfect. I don't think he needs a bigger role to stay in the NBA for years to come.

• Russell Spencer Boise, ID
    Jan. 28, 2014 10:22 a.m.

Meh--so what if Fredette never becomes a super-star? Fredette is living his dream. He made the pros. He is *playing* in the pros. More power to him. If his ceiling is Steve Kerr or even Bobby Hansen, he's still playing professional ball--in the NBA no less! (as opposed to Europe, etc.) Most college phenoms don't rise to the highest echelon in the pros, but what kid suiting up in high school wouldn't want what Fredette's got today? And if he does suddenly click? That's just icing on the cake.

I hope they can work out a trade with Denver. Not because it's a "better fit" for Fredette, but because I understand the Fredettes live nearby in the off-season, and it might be nice to be near home year round.

• Provo4Life PROVO, UT
    Jan. 28, 2014 10:25 a.m.

Jimmer is currently shooting 48% from 3 and 93% from behind the line. He needs minutes and consistency and he could be a great role player. Did anyone really expect him to be a superstar. Those are rare and hard to find. A potential 1 to 2 time all-star player I think would have been the most realistic expectation. But I'm happy with a solid role player. You think Kyle Korver isn't pleased with his career? Starter, no, but a role player who has made millions and helped team win.

AS for the indidviduals who mock Jimmer's draft position and lack of lottery picks, chew on this.

Kyrie Irving - All-star
    Derrick Williams - Already on his second team. was traded for Luc Richard Mbah a Moute
    Enes Kanter - Jury still out
    Tristan Thompson - Looks to be a solid player, averaging 10 pts and 8 rebounds
    Jonas Valanciunas - 1st year playing, work in progress
    Jan Vesely - bust at 3 pts per game
    Bismack Biyombo - 5 pts a game 6 rebounds
    Brandon Knight - 2nd team already. Solid role player
    Kemba Walker - looking better and better. Should be good

Get over yourself and realize this kid is still making it in the NBA! How about #1 pick Anthony Davis?

• OHBU Columbus, OH
    Jan. 28, 2014 10:30 a.m.

2013 Ute...: "Remember when I predicted before he even joined the NBA he wouldn't be able to handle athletic NBA guards? Jimmer is not athletic and clearly doesn't belong in the NBA."

Here's the thing--your prediction is still wrong. Has he been able to light it up and become a star? No. Does he belong in the NBA--yes. In order to belong in the NBA you don't need to be the star, you just need to be able to contribute. Every team needs guys who can fill in while the stars are resting or slumping, and Jimmer is that guy. If you'd merely said he didn't belong in the top-10 of the draft, I'd agree. But to say he doesn't belong in the league is bitterness.

• LivinLarge Bountiful, UT
    Jan. 28, 2014 10:52 a.m.

Jimmer's NBA role was easily predicted by most knowledgeable observers. No surprises...

• Cougar Passion Salt Lake City, UT
    Jan. 28, 2014 11:01 a.m.

There are frankly very few players that will succeed on any team or system. Two examples of former BYU football players in the NFL are Steve Young and Jim McMahon. Young was ready to quit in Tampa Bay. He's now in the Hall of Fame because Bill Walsh recognized his value. Jim McMahon won a Super Bowl with audibles out of plays called by Mike Ditka, but he never found a good situation after that. The Jazz's own John Stockton is in the Hall of Fame, but Scott Layden said after his first year with the team he still wasn't sure Stockton would make it long term. Likewise, the Jazz later drafted Raul Lopez over Tony Parker. Lopez didn't succeed with the Jazz; does anyone realistically feel Parker would have done any better under Jerry Sloan?

A poster here mentioned the idea of Jimmer with the Heat. The possibility has also been floated of him with the Lakers. If Jimmer doesn't have to be the star, he could likely be extremely effective on a good team. He could well yet end up with a very good career.

• Mormon Ute Kaysville, UT
    Jan. 28, 2014 11:20 a.m.

Nobody ever taught Jimmer defensive fundamentals and the NBA is no place to learn those. He'll end up playing in Europe where his lack of defensive skill won't matter as much.

• Little Andy Tremonton, UT
    Jan. 28, 2014 11:58 a.m.

As always both good and bad comments. Put Jimmer on a better team and you might see a different player.I would like to see the Jazz sign him to a lower contract. He is better than Lucas or Garrett. And if he feel he is wanted he might blossom. So really Brad the "story could change for Jimmer."

• Crisco B Salt Lake City, UT
    Jan. 28, 2014 1:01 p.m.

I think that the title of the article is a correct one: The story will not change for Jimmer. He has been a success story since he was in high school. That story has not changed for Jimmer. He is a solid scorer. That story in the NBA has not changed. As someone said above, he is a white dude from Glens Falls NY playing in the NBA. That story has not changed. He threw down 47 one time. That story has not changed. The success story for Jimmer has not changed. Never will.

• DEW Cougars Sandy, UT
    Jan. 28, 2014 1:26 p.m.

Did any one remember if Danny Ainge, Shawn Bradley, Fred Roberts or even Andy Toolsen (former 1 year Jazz player) were booed too. GROW up you "U" or some other fans. I can see myself saying (Mission Impossible" on Shawn Bradley.

• Max for President Brighton, MA
    Jan. 28, 2014 2:22 p.m.

Haha -Brad, Jimmer is the 6th most productive point guard in the league. As a back up. He's approaching the 5th best from the 3 point range per minutes. The guy is phenomenal. His previous 3 games he was DOUBLE digits with an average of 13 minutes. The guy is a stud and has a bright future in the league.

The Kings are showcasing him for a trade that HAS to happen. Jimmer can't wait. All of basketball can't wait.

And the booing? Looks like the State School up north are still hurting from Jimmer dropping 47 and a half court bomb on them 3 years ago. Believe me, the booing is music to Jimmer's ears.

• SlopJ30 St Louis, MO
    Jan. 28, 2014 3:01 p.m.

Why do I get the feeling that certain commenters will still be predicting a future in Europe for Jimmer even after he's been in the NBA for 10 years? The "Ho, ho, they can't wait for him in Europe" line gets more baffling every month.

The guy that opined "it's clear he doesn't belong in the NBA" isn't even attempting to be objective. The only honest assessment is that, warts and all, he's playing much better ball this year than he did the last two. If you can shoot 45/40/85 as a guard, and he's at or above all three marks right now, you will stick in the League. 50/40/90, within shouting distance, is elite. All you need is one elite skill.

I can't believe that even the "Have fun in Europe" jokers don't recognize this. One of you couldn't wait for mention of Steve Nash. Obviously Jimmer isn't a playmaker of Nash's status, but were Steve Kerr or John Paxson better players?

Trade or no, he's gone next year, hopefully to a team that needs what he provides.

• BlueHusky Mission Viejo, CA
    Jan. 28, 2014 3:21 p.m.

My thoughts about Jimmer has been iterated several times in these comments. NBA players are pretty much freaks of nature. I like Jimmer because he's where he is by really hard work and dedication. No Kobe Bryant or LeBron James, he. They went straight to the NBA from highschool. Adults at 18. Superstars at 19. Tall and long, quick and super athletic. Amazing, but who can identify with them?

Jimmer is pretty ordinary guy who somehow made player of the year and thrilled America with his shooting.

Maybe he goes to Europe to play. Oh wow! Bummer. A few years in Europe? I'd sure hate that.

Play on Jimmer. You made me feel good and thanks to you I'm now a BYU hoops fan. I'm still not an NBA fan, but I sure enjoyed watching you drop 40's on Cal et al.

Good on ya.

• A Guy With A Brain Enid, OK
    Jan. 28, 2014 4:03 p.m.

Keep playing, Jimmer!

Jealousy is manifested by those who are weak in character and heart.

• kevo Saratoga Springs, UT
    Jan. 28, 2014 4:37 p.m.

All I can say is that for a seven figure salary, I'd trade places with Jimmer any day of the week. How about changing my story to his...I'll take it.

I think it's got more talent than all the doubters give him credit for. Just to be in the NBA takes intense work ethic and/or freakish talent to be there. He may not have freakish talent but he works harder than any of us wasting time arguing about the level of others' success.
    I'm still a Jimmer-fan and always will be...

...unless he joins the Lakers. I don't think I could handle that.

• Cougar Blue 1 Henderson , NV
    Jan. 28, 2014 4:41 p.m.

I love all the snide comments from Utah fans. I guess they are still bitter when he dominated them while at BYU. It would nice to actually see a Ute in the lottery. It sure has been a while hasn't it?

The other thing I love from the article is "He was the 10th pick in a shallow 2011 draft. A source close to the Jazz says they wouldn’t have picked him even if he had been available with the 12th pick."

Really? I wouldn't say the Jazz hit a home run with their pick of Alec Burks either. I say this as a huge Jazz fan. The Jazz are garbage when it comes to shooting. They don't have a lot of room to talk when it comes to the draft.

• rhappahannock Washington, DC
    Jan. 28, 2014 4:44 p.m.

The Deseret News needs to retract part of this story. When the Kings come to DC the fans cheer when Jimmer enters the game, and you will hear chants of "We want Jimmer" echoing around the arena. You never hear any boos. I think the same is true in pretty much every NBA arena - except one.

That big exception is in Salt Lake City. That is pretty much the only place where former BYU players are booed. It is not just Jimmer, it is pretty much every former BYU player, even when they play for the Jazz. Brad Rock needs to be honest about the fans in SLC, and not just say that Jimmer attracts cheers and boos wherever he goes.

• QualityControl Sandy, UT
    Jan. 28, 2014 5:24 p.m.

So if the "Story won't change for Jimmer Fredette," why keep writing stories about Jimmer Fredette?

Time to move on, local media.

• Ed Grady Idaho Falls, ID
    Jan. 28, 2014 9:50 p.m.

"A source close to the Jazz says they wouldn’t have picked him even if he had been available with the 12th pick."

Yeah, nobody has a keener eye for talent than the Utah Jazz.

• jazzer St. George, UT
    Jan. 29, 2014 10:48 a.m.

As a Jazz fan, I would take Jimmer in a heart beat. He is better than our two back up guards now! As a former player, it is very hard to come off the bench and play 4 minutes at a time and get in the flow of things. Let jimmer have a chance and we will find out if he is any good or not.

• Little Andy Tremonton, UT
    Jan. 29, 2014 11:24 a.m.

I know this won't be posted. But after posting twice and having both rejected I am having second thoughts. There are here some very rude comments here about Jimmer. I did not see much civil dialogue here. I am on his side and trying to speak up for him. Count this as my last comment..

• fortydam OREM, UT
    Jan. 30, 2014 3:55 p.m.

Man crush over common sense. So many people should be owners and coaches.