Opinion

Glenn Beck: 'Aren't we all a little wrong about something?'

Comments

• lket Bluffdale, UT
    Jan. 24, 2014 1:52 p.m.

so when he used to write on his chalk borad and then draw lines from one thing to another and make other people look like they where up to no good that was alright by this paper, even though it was never proven right.

• one vote Salt Lake City, UT
    Jan. 24, 2014 1:58 p.m.

He makes money bashing the President.

• t702 Las Vegas, NV
    Jan. 24, 2014 2:11 p.m.

@ lket "... was alright by this paper, even though it was never proven right." it'll be nice if you tell us specifically what Glenn was talking about

'Aren't we all a little wrong about something?' - good luck looking for the liberal media to admit any wrong doings

• Cats Somewhere in Time, UT
    Jan. 24, 2014 2:39 p.m.

I don't agree with Glenn on everything, but he's a sincere person and he's really trying to do what's right. Anyone who says otherwise hasn't ever really watched him.

• SEY Sandy, UT
    Jan. 24, 2014 3:16 p.m.

"I would like to take this moment and ask the media,” Beck asked at the conclusion of the segment, “aren’t we all a little wrong about something?"

That's true enough, but there is very little likelihood that anyone with a microphone will suggest they could be wrong about everything they say. And when you're absolutely certain about some things, those issues become divisive, even if you say them in the nicest possible way. If you have strong feelings about an issue, how do you express them without being divisive? Is it possible to offend no one? Was Rodney King asking the impossible when he implored, "Can't we all just get along?"

• freedomingood provo, Utah
    Jan. 24, 2014 4:01 p.m.

He gives himself a large serving of the benefit of the doubt, but would never do the same for a democrat.

Just more hypocrisy.

There's been no uprising or Apocalypse. He's never admitted to being wrong about any of that.

• BYUalum South Jordan, UT
    Jan. 24, 2014 4:02 p.m.

I have learned more about our government, our currant POTUS, and the state of the world from Glenn Beck than anyone else. Some things were not pleasant. The truth is actually unpleasant sometimes when exposed. The thing I really like about him is that he uses the person's recorded video, voice, and quote to educate one as to actually what was said not just what Glenn thinks. He always ends with, "You take this information and research it further, then make up your own mind." In my opinion, he offers sound information that the main stream media often never reports and brings it front and center. I appreciate that.

Now we see many others beginning to speak out against the serious problems we have in this government. I appreciate Glenn Beck along with Rush Limbaugh and others for "waking up" many Americans who were not paying very close attention. Benghazi and the IRS are two prime examples. We must have answers. These issues must not, in my opinion, be swept under the rug.

• Mike in Sandy Sandy, UT
    Jan. 24, 2014 4:05 p.m.

Yes we are...Beck more than most.

• SCfan clearfield, UT
    Jan. 24, 2014 4:54 p.m.

Let's be honest and all admit that to be politically aware in America today will likely result in being divided. How can it not? Many think that the leaders in D.C. are supposed to work together on all issues and come to some kind of middle ground compromise. That works for some things, but there are some issues where there is no middle ground. Examples, Pro Choice/Pro life. SSM or no SSM. Go to war or don't go to war. Deficit spending and borrowing, or balancing a budget and not borrowing. You see, some of the biggest issues we face don't really have any middle ground to occupy. And that will always keep us as a people and our representatives divided. That is really a testament to our freedom as a nation and people. I don't think Glenn has been any more divisive than anyone else in print, on air, or in politics. He's probably just more sensitive about it. And honest.

• Moderate Salt Lake City, UT
    Jan. 24, 2014 7:21 p.m.

Sounds like Glenn Beck has the title for his next book. How many of us will give our hard earned dollars to attend his "Aren't we all a little wrong" seminar? I have to admit, the man knows how to keep the money flowing in.

• Grandma Char Kaysville, UT
    Jan. 24, 2014 9:13 p.m.

Glenn Beck always proves his point by going to the original source. This country needs people who will expose the President for what he is. If everyone in America doesn't know by now, Barack Obama is a liar. He lied about the Affordable Care Act...Obamacare. He lied about what happened in Benghazi. He didn't lie when he said that our 'electricity rates will necessarily skyrocket' because as he shuts down coal fired electricity plants, this will most likely come to pass. Glenn Beck is the most truthful person in the media today!

• Hutterite American Fork, UT
    Jan. 24, 2014 9:39 p.m.

I don't know, glenn. Back when you had the crazy board and the nazi props and the circles and picked letters out of various phrases to spell words that meant...whatever, I think you were more than just a little bit wrong.

• grj Bountiful, ut
    Jan. 24, 2014 10:03 p.m.

Glenn Beck is a showman; always has been, always will be. By his own admission that's EXACTLY what he is. I don't trust him to ever do, say or be anything that isn't self serving. There certainly are a lot of folks who buy his drivvel, even in the age of the Internet where all of you can easily look up the truth of anything you REALLY want to know the truth of.

OR you can just listen to Glenn Beck and have your minds made up for you without the benefit of facts, truth or agenda.

• bandersen Saint George, UT
    Jan. 24, 2014 10:47 p.m.

Glen Beck is awesome! I don't need him for anything he says, however, because I believe in education, which is something all the Republican and Democratic Ditto heads don't. Please take the time, my friends, to think your own thoughts and reach your own conclusions, conclusions that can all be wrapped up with a simple document--the constitution. Compare that to the word of God and your on your way to getting it right!

• Twin Lights Louisville, KY
    Jan. 24, 2014 11:22 p.m.

Yes we can all be a little wrong (and are) sometimes. But Mr. Beck has been more than a little wrong. He has gone off the deep end and blasted anyone he has disagreed with using a megaphone. He has taken a lot of the folks who listen to him over the edge with him.

If he wants a second chance with folks he will need to repeat his contrition speech often and then show something different in his actions. This will likely deep six his show because logic and reason make for poor ratings (unlike the crazy train).

Like Bungalow above, I loved his tribute to President Hinckley. But I just have not been able to tolerate listening to him.

I hope he follows his words with actions - real and sustained. It would be nice for such a prominent LDS voice to be one of reason.

• UtahBlueDevil Durham, NC
    Jan. 24, 2014 11:33 p.m.

Let me see if I understand this correctly. If we agree with Beck, we are educated - particularly in the constitution and in the word of God. If we per chance don't agree with Beck we are uneducated Republican and Democratic Ditto heads. Gotcha....

So which half of the framers of the constitution are the ditto heads... and which were "educated"? I mean, one side was pro slavery, one side not. One side were federalist, one side anti-federalist. Some were deeply devote Christians, some like Jefferson and Madison were Diest. Was Jefferson a ditto-head? I mean, he even wrote his own interpretation of the bible.

I just want to be clear here..... because surely we don't want be ditto heads as Banderson so eloquently described... We want to be educated free thinkers, you know... the ones who think in lock step with Brother Glenn.

• LiberalEastCoastMember Parkesburg, PA
    Jan. 25, 2014 4:54 a.m.

Again, Beck misses the point. Fact is most of us, especially me, are a lot wrong about a lot of things. That's why we all spend our lives in pursuit of truth looking for further knowledge and understanding in all we do. For me, I determined many years ago when Beck was on the air here in Philadelphia the deeper understanding I sought was not to be found in his audience.

• Mark from Montana Davis County, UT
    Jan. 25, 2014 6:16 a.m.

Of course everyone is wrong at times. In fact I am wrong about things on a daily basis. I guess the difference is that I don't make millions being wrong. I don't deliberately destroy my country in order to make myself rich. I equate your actions with what bankers like Jaime Dimon did, as well as many politicians. When you deliberately take the low road in order to make money, then I don't see it as being 'a little mistake'.

• JMH Provo, UT
    Jan. 25, 2014 6:40 a.m.

Glenn Beck admits that he might have gone over the top and he is right. But he did the same thing that talking heads like Maddow and Schultz do on the left. They all fan the flames of the political spectrum while laughing all the way to the bank. But those on the right defend Beck and those on the left defend their commentators.

The continued demonization of "Tea Party" people also contributes to the shredding of the nation's fabric. Some are extreme but the vast majority of them are average Americans who have concerns about the direction of the country and specifically the debt we are accumulating.

The SEIU is an extreme group on the left and some of their leaders are radical but most are just Americans trying to do why they think is right.

So when we quit calling the other side names and realize this is part of the political dialogue we might actually get something done.

• wendall Huntington Beach, CA
    Jan. 25, 2014 8:20 a.m.

This man is brilliant. Thank you for all you do.. Glenn Beck!

• wendall Huntington Beach, CA
    Jan. 25, 2014 8:24 a.m.

@freedomingood Your comment proves you never listen to him! Do your homework before you comment.

• FT salt lake city, UT
    Jan. 25, 2014 10:25 a.m.

He's gotta a schtick that plays well in America to a small segment of society. That's capitilism so good on him. Like PT Barnum said, there's a sucker born every minute but I'm not buying it.

• iron&clay RIVERTON, UT
    Jan. 25, 2014 10:47 a.m.

Seems like Glenn has always been warning Americans that Obama would continue the Bush doctrine of the centralization of power in the executive branch, dictatorship, more debt from wars, drones, NSA snooping, and basically pushing the agenda of ownership and control of everything and everybody by the Federal Government.
    ... Or in other words Obama works for the same boss of an elite group of Wall Street Bankers that make a percentage off of all big government debt.

Meet the new boss, same as the old boss*

True or not?

*'We won't be fooled again' The WHO

• Ajax Mapleton, UT
    Jan. 25, 2014 12:01 p.m.

All groups have their ultra-right conservative elements that intensify during times of crisis. Others different from ourselves are increasingly blamed for every inconvenience.

As times improve (as they inevitably do), we moderate our thinking. Others (e.g., the indigent, immigrants and politicians of the other party) are not nearly so odious as we had thought. We feel better. Tolerance is back in vogue.

Glenn Beck is evidently easing up. Can we do the same? Or like a dog with his bone--using a fabricated interpretation of the Constitution as an excuse--do we have to belabor our differences forever?

• WestGranger West Valley City, Utah
    Jan. 25, 2014 12:10 p.m.

So when will people stop gawking at Glenn Beck's introspection and do a little more of their own introspection? That would take a lot of humility, self-honesty and courage. It takes much more integrity and is much easier intellectually to simply point fingers.

• Irony Guy Bountiful, Utah
    Jan. 25, 2014 12:54 p.m.

"Aren't we all a little wrong about something?" Yes, and some of us are terribly wrong about everything, e.g., Glenn Beck.

• louie Cottonwood Heights, UT
    Jan. 25, 2014 1:01 p.m.

The biggest irony is that many people look to Glenn Beck as the fountain of knowledge when nothing could be further from the truth.

• LDS Liberal Farmington, UT
    Jan. 25, 2014 3:00 p.m.

I gotta admit, in this case, I actually agree with him.
    because 35 years ago, I was a Republican.

• LDS Liberal Farmington, UT
    Jan. 25, 2014 4:21 p.m.

‘Glenn Beck: 'Aren't we all a little wrong about something?'’

======

Agreed.
    35 years ago, I was a Republican...

• joe5 South Jordan, UT
    Jan. 25, 2014 5:50 p.m.

What is ironic is that those who dislike Beck allow him to control their opinions. Instead of thinking for themselves, they let Beck do it and then just take the opposite position. They are much more under Beck's control than his fans.

These people say things like:
    - "there's a sucker born every minute but I'm not buying it."
    - "some of us are terribly wrong about everything, e.g., Glenn Beck."
    - "many people look to Glenn Beck as the fountain of knowledge when nothing could be further from the truth."

Several things are wrong with this approach.

First, it is lazy thinking. Instead of the message, they focus on the messenger. In essence, they disengage their brain and let Beck think and study for them.

Second, it is rooted in blind prejudice. Unless they listen to Beck daily (making them fans), they must be forming their stereotypical perception on rumors, innuendo, etc from others. That reflects a deficiency in their ability to reason effectively in the face of their emotional responses to Beck, whether it be first hand, second hand, or from other emotionally driven pundits.

Third, it demonstrates rank hatred. Nothing more, nothing less.

• aubrey1 orem, utah
    Jan. 25, 2014 8:41 p.m.

I watched Glenn Beck when he was on Fox. He always said think for yourself and question everything. Those that hate him without knowledge of what he says or stands for have no foundation to stand on. I agree with the comment that it is just plain hatred and nothing else. I'd rather have Glenn fighting for my freedom than trust fools in government to take my rights away.

• Mister J Salt Lake City, UT
    Jan. 26, 2014 12:58 p.m.

If anyone would know about being wrong, its Glenn Beck.

• Pendergast Salt Lake City, UT
    Jan. 26, 2014 1:00 p.m.

to iron&clay

Won't be fooled again, eh? You do realize every POTUS since Reagan has had an Ivy League degree or two.

Its more like Einstein's definition of insanity every time the general election rolls around.

• Furry1993 Ogden, UT
    Jan. 27, 2014 7:07 a.m.

@Cats 2:39 p.m. Jan. 24, 2014

---------------------------

I have watched him, listened to him and read his webpage. Your comments are, in their totality, 100% wrong. Beck is not anywhere near being a sincere person, and he's really nbot trying to do what's right. He's just trying to make money, and knows how to rabble-rouse to get it. Endo of "Beck story".

• Happy Valley Heretic Orem, UT
    Jan. 27, 2014 9:18 a.m.

I find folks who listen to beck easy to argue with, because their knowledge of how government works, the conspiracy glenn's selling this week, or just common sense is very surface and just a couple parroted phrases aren't enough for them to defend his position. When asked about particular aspects of glenn's opinion they're done. "He always said think for yourself and question everything. " But his fans aren't about looking for themselves, which is why he has such an uninformed audience. I listened to him for a couple of weeks (at my fathers behest ) and looked up what he was ranting about, he was seldom correct, and usually twisting a partial quote, or using analogies so poorly, one has to wonder where glenn was educated?

Got to admit he has his loyal audience, the ones who post - You either Love Glenn, or your an uninformed, dumb liberal who hates America. Gotta love Joe5 approach, By not listening to glenn, your letting him control your opinion and
    "Unless they listen to Beck daily " then they are prejudice.

• Happy Valley Heretic Orem, UT
    Jan. 27, 2014 9:18 a.m.

I'm personally apathetic towards glenn, he receives no emotional response from me.
    I do feel sorry for his listeners though, anger, hate, fear, the end of times, uplifting?

• joe5 South Jordan, UT
    Jan. 27, 2014 5:19 p.m.

HVH: I've never listened to Beck's show on radio/television/internet or other media. In fact, I don't listen to any talking heads of either political persuasion because they seem to see things through a prism of their own making.

You talk about the anger, hate, fear, etc of Beck's listeners. Just for fun, as an experiment, go back through the comments here and keep score of who said angry, hateful things. If you're honest (which I don't know), I think you will concede that the anger and hatred stems from Beck's detractors, not his followers.

Your first post today demonstrates the arrogance of youth. I don't know how old you are but I'm hoping you're young. It would be sad to see someone matured by life experience to be so sure of his own rightness.

Finally, your interpretation of my comments show a weakness in reading or comprehension. My point is that, unless you listen to Beck, how can you know that "everything" he says is wrong (as many on here have claimed). If you form opinions based on that assumption, he controls your thoughts.

• Lagomorph Salt Lake City, UT
    Jan. 28, 2014 1:20 p.m.

t702: "...good luck looking for the liberal media to admit any wrong doings"

That paragon of "liberal media," the New York Times, regularly puts itself under the introspective knife examining its journalistic methods, integrity, and ethics. It regularly finds fault with how it has handled its reporting or covered an issue. It does this in a column called the "Public Editor" in the opinion section.

JMH: " But he did the same thing that talking heads like Maddow and Schultz do on the left. They all fan the flames..."

I'll agree with you on Ed Schultz, but I take issue with your of assessment of Rachel Maddow. If she has a fault, it is being excruciatingly detailed in laying out a case on air, spending 30 minutes on a topic that could be covered in five, building an argument step by incremental step. Of all the talking heads on Fox and MSNBC, she is remarkably even-tempered and subdued in composure. She clearly has a point of view and is not afraid to express it, but she is not a flame stoking rabid polemicist like Schultz or O'Reilly by any means.

• UtahBlueDevil Durham, NC
    Jan. 28, 2014 1:42 p.m.

Joe5.... you know, it probably seems hard to believe, but some of us do try to listen to Glenn... but find what he says to be just outlandish balderdash. His musings of the intent of the founding fathers generally ignores that there was a huge debate within the founding fathers themselves - they were not even close to unanimous in intent. But Glenn seems to somehow have channeled the founding fathers and can interpret for all of us their intent... what ever that was.

As hard as it is to believe... yes..... some of us have and do listen..... and still don't agree with what we are hearing. I am still waiting on the prophesied crash of the US dollar.... and Gold to $3,000 an ounce he so dramatically illustrated for us all.

Its great you get something from listening to him... I just don't.

• aubrey1 orem, utah
    Jan. 28, 2014 3:26 p.m.

What does it say when a person admits fault or shows some humility that all enemies attack (and harshly). Just as was said, it's rank hatred nothing else. No amount of reasoning can change mean people. I'd rather be wronged than be wrong.