Utah basketball: Utes lose another close game in final minute, this time at Arizona State

Comments

• ImaUteFan West Jordan, UT
    Jan. 23, 2014 9:39 p.m.

As good as this team is at home, they simply cannot win on the road.

Too many close losses this season. They are in the games but need to learn how to finish.

• Uteology East Salt Lake City, Utah
    Jan. 23, 2014 9:41 p.m.

Great game, but another tough loss after blowing a half time lead. This team needs to learn how to win on the road. We're a year away from competing in the PAC-12.

Go UTES!

• UteNationAlum Cottonwood Heights, UT
    Jan. 23, 2014 9:41 p.m.

I think this team is a year away from being great.

GO UTES!

• Joe Schmoe Orem, UT
    Jan. 23, 2014 9:49 p.m.

Yep always a year away. Tough to watch them lose so many close games.

• killarney Lincoln Park, IL
    Jan. 23, 2014 10:00 p.m.

It's hard to learn how to win on the road when you play all of your preseason games at home.

• StGtoSLC SALT LAKE CITY, UT
    Jan. 23, 2014 10:01 p.m.

Onwas' free throw shooting single-handedly cost the game. Offense finally found a way to get going on the road, and misses at the charity stripe lost it. Winning at UA is highly unlikely, but next weekend at CU is a winnable game.

• Ken Sandy, UT
    Jan. 23, 2014 10:24 p.m.

Hard loss, but just like football, we weren't in these games a year or two ago. No, its not a moral victory, but its progress, and significant progress at that. The future of Ute basketball in the Pac 12 will be just fine!

• kitsutsuki South Jordan, Utah
    Jan. 23, 2014 10:32 p.m.

You can blame Coach K for their abysmal performance on the road. Had he prepared them properly in the preseason, they could very well have won many of these road games. As it stands now, all Utah fans can do is claim a moral victory for continuing to lose close games on the road. Last time I checked however, moral victories do not cut it. As it stands now, Utah will get a road game in the NIT, and lose. Another mediocre season.

• 86&90UTE Holladay, UT
    Jan. 23, 2014 11:26 p.m.

Wow, BYU just lost by 4 to Portland, a team with an RPI of 141. At least Utah lost to a team with an RPI of 62. Just an observation.

• 1 Of 20 on the road Seattle, WA
    Jan. 23, 2014 11:29 p.m.

It is good to see the utes back to normal. This will be a brutal year for the utes. They are totally unprepared to play on the road. The coach and AD can take full credit for not preparing the team better in the preseason. The team actually has some decent talent but are not coached very well. I don't see the utes winning more than 4 more games the rest of the season and will miss any meaningful postseason play.

• poyman Lincoln City, OR
    Jan. 24, 2014 1:08 a.m.

Didn't know whether to put this comment on a BYU story or on a ute article because it seems like we're all on Coug Boards far more often... None the less I decided to comment here.

All I really wanted to do was to try and cheer y'all up... You have some nice wins... BYU and UCLA are good on the resume... And y'all have only lost 4 Conference games (albeit only one was at home and the other 3 were all your road games against the weaker teams in the conference), but you should be able to bounce back at home... I mean, look at how well y'all did in preseason at home, you didn't lose a single game (alright, well most all the teams were in the 300RPI range but you won)... And your team only lost one preseason game on the road (okay, well you only played one but you did come close)...

You know, you can't win every game on the road (or in utah's case, you can't win any) but y'all keep showing up and that ought to be good for a trophy somewhere.

• Hey Baby Franklin, IN
    Jan. 24, 2014 3:05 a.m.

Losing at AZ state isnt good.

Losing at Portland St is a bag over the head

• jazz4ever San Mateo, CA
    Jan. 24, 2014 5:48 a.m.

Utes down by 1 pt, with 3 mins to go.. I think it was 63-64?, Utes give up 2 layups when their pg went 1-1 against d-wright.. who himself did not stop that nor did he get any timely help to stop those 2 scores! This knowing ASU is a poor FT team so even a foul was better than giving them 2pts. That was the game for me...

• thebigsamoan Richmond, VA
    Jan. 24, 2014 6:26 a.m.

I'm looking forward to watching the Utes against Arizona this weekend. Hopefully I can also watch my Cougars against the Zags and the Aggies against San Diego State. This is a great chance for the Big 3 programs in the state to make a statement, especially the Utes! I mean can you imagine the Utes pulling off an upset of the undefeated #1 team and shocking the nation? It will be HUGE if they do! This is a priceless opportunity for them to do something spectacular! Likewise I'd love to see the Cougars and the Aggies take care of business too! What a great weekend that will be for all 3 schools! I might be doing some flips and stand on my head, then again, I might not!

Good luck to all!

• Max-was-right springville, UT
    Jan. 24, 2014 7:21 a.m.

Another moral victory that for sure will get you into the big moral victory dance. National champions of moral victories here you come...

• GoRed WEST VALLEY CITY, UT
    Jan. 24, 2014 8:19 a.m.

@max

Your comment actually applies more to your BYU Cougars. How did they do last night, by the way?

• DraperUteFan Draper, UT
    Jan. 24, 2014 8:25 a.m.

There are no moral victories...give it up already...none.

The Utes lost this game at the end of the first half. They had a 10-point lead and got sloppy. Turning the ball over and far too many missed free throws by Onwas. Losing the momentum carried over to the 2nd half and they never had the same confidence.

I would favor a zone on occasion against quick and strong guards who continually take it to the paint. The help defense was terrible. Zone up at the end of the game.

Great to see Loveridge continue to improve his improve his overall game, but still needs work on the 3 ball. Delon was solid too, but nobody else really stepped up last night.

• Ed Grady Idaho Falls, ID
    Jan. 24, 2014 8:27 a.m.

Has Utah won a basketball game outside the 801 area code?

• UU Provo, UT
    Jan. 24, 2014 8:38 a.m.

poyman,

Thanks for the cheer up note. Losing to ASU was tough.

What could be worse? Perhaps losing to say Loyola, Pepperdine and Portland (or is it Portland State). Shoot, I can't keep those WCC and Big Sky teams straight.

• CougarSunDevil Phoenix, AZ
    Jan. 24, 2014 8:39 a.m.

So it seems to me the standard at Utah is "Well, we lost again, but at least we didn't lose like BYU lost." I don't think Utah can compete at any level if they and their fans are always benchmarking themselves in the rearview mirror. What's the saying "If you're constantly looking backward, eventually you'll be headed that way." or something like that?

• CougarSunDevil Phoenix, AZ
    Jan. 24, 2014 9:01 a.m.

Also notice that I didn't rag on Utah for losing to my Sun Devils. Utah is a pretty decent team. But so is BYU and ASU. Would be nice to see some respect go all around.

• nampaaggie9 nampa, ID
    Jan. 24, 2014 9:03 a.m.

this ute team is just not very good...............they never are.......

• 2013 Ute Seniors SWEEP byU 4-0 Ogden, UT
    Jan. 24, 2014 9:07 a.m.

RPI of ASU: 62
    rpi of west coast cupcake Porland Community: 141

• UU Provo, UT
    Jan. 24, 2014 10:01 a.m.

@ CougarSunDevil "it seems to me the standard at Utah is "Well, we lost again, but at least we didn't lose like BYU lost"

If you read Utah fan's posts in their context you would understand that it's not about comparing Utah to BYU, it's about pointing our the hypocrisy of your fan base.

Your brethren ridicule Utah for losing to ASU, yet at the same time are getting rolled by the likes of P-dine, Loyola and Portland State, not to mention BYU's worst loss of the season coming at the hands of the Utes by 17. BYU fan smack talk is like Justin Beiber calling Bruno Mars a punk.

• AZUTE1 Mesa, AZ
    Jan. 24, 2014 10:03 a.m.

I was embarrassed walking out of WFA last night....And this is coming from a life-long ASU season ticket holder....ASU basketball is historically a complete joke and, as we continue trending back up, this is one team we should never lose to again, beginning w/their return-trip up there to S.L.C. next month....Like byu [national leader in tourney appearances w/out ever reaching the final four]/utah state/weber state/gonzaga, etc., ASU has never reached the final four and quite frankly never will....Not even w/James Harden could ASU do squat, reaching the tourney only once w/him, winning merely one game....Jahii Carson's a great talent, yet likely won't ever dance!

Coach K's essentially only in YR-2 of his rebuilding process and this type of an embarrassment is the direct result of having such a young/inexperienced team, w/our core group constituted primarily of sophomores.

We'll be fine, going forward....It's amazing how quickly we've put our single worst season in our proud/storied program's history in '11-'12 behind us and we still have more than 1/2 of our conference games ahead of us!

• UU Provo, UT
    Jan. 24, 2014 10:11 a.m.

nampa aggie

your definition of a good team must be losing to air force or a pathetic pacific team at home, or maybe it's that 11 point loss to BYU.... the same team Utah beat by 17. A well thought out post nampa, good job!

• bribri86 Phoenix, AZ
    Jan. 24, 2014 10:12 a.m.

(Sung to the tune of Annie)

1st verse - 2011

"We'll be PAC-12 relevant, next year.
    Bet your bottom dollar that, next year,
    we will count
    Just thinkin' about, next year.
    Clears away the disappointment and sorrow
    til there's none.
    relevancy, relevancy, I love ya!
    relevancy, you're only a year away!"

2nd verse (same as the first) - 2012
    3rd verse (same as the first) - 2013
    4th verse (same as the first) - 2014
    etc. etc. etc.

• pocyUte Pocatello, ID
    Jan. 24, 2014 10:25 a.m.

Kaaaaaaaaahhhhhhhnnnnnn!!!

• CougarSunDevil Phoenix, AZ
    Jan. 24, 2014 10:25 a.m.

"BYU fan smack talk is like Justin Beiber calling Bruno Mars a punk."

You'll understand that I have absolutely no common frame of reference for this comment since I'm older 12 years old. I certainly agree that there is hypocrisy from BYU fans, but I notice that I haven't heard many (I haven't really heard any but I want to give some the benefit of the doubt) Ute fans agree that there is hypocrisy by Ute fans. Plus, what would you expect? Every fan wants their team to be the best out of everyone. Why wouldn't they? It's their team. They should cheer them on and want them to be number 1. ASU fans do. Ute fans do. Why can't BYU fans? Also, why would fans demean a team based on the size of their gym? Do you think Gonzaga is terrible? St. Mary's? I dare say the WCC is a better conference than most give them credit for. I also think the PAC 12 is better, but to say even a middle of the PAC 12 team could clean the clock of any WCC team is simply wrong. What say you?

• Spokane Ute Spokane, WA
    Jan. 24, 2014 10:41 a.m.

Simply can't win on the road, disappointing

• jarka-rus Layton, Utah
    Jan. 24, 2014 11:02 a.m.

ASU also lost to Miami, they are an awful team, the Pac is mediocre no matter how you spin it.

• atl134 Salt Lake City, UT
    Jan. 24, 2014 11:41 a.m.

@1 of 20 on the road
    "This will be a brutal year for the utes."

They've lost five games by a combined margin of 13... brutal is two years ago when I'd laugh at UNC-Asheville (or whichever it was) being favored by about a dozen and thinking that's not nearly high enough (and it wasn't, I think they lost by 20).

• TucsonUte Oro Valley, Arizona
    Jan. 24, 2014 11:59 a.m.

The Utes are a young team and even though the close losses are disappointing--Coach K has really turned the ship around from the Boylen era. Good things are on the horizon for this team. I believe it has been a good season so far and it is nice seeing the Utes be competitive again.

• jarka-rus Layton, Utah
    Jan. 24, 2014 12:27 p.m.

So if losing close games is really winning, being competitive and improving then what is a close win? say by 2 points, is it really a loss and signs of declining, not being competitive? I don't get it. For me a W is a W and an L is an L can't spin it any other way.

• StGtoSLC SALT LAKE CITY, UT
    Jan. 24, 2014 12:44 p.m.

The one gripe I have: I will never say officials "lost" a game for a team, or were "one-sided" because that is entirely homerism and just an excuse; but last night was just terribly inconsistent. Very similar plays to each other (and they affected both teams) were blocking fouls one possession, charges the next, and no calls on others. The rule "clarifications" this year seem like they affect the officials' performances more so than the players and coaches.

• UU Provo, UT
    Jan. 24, 2014 1:12 p.m.

@ CougarSunDevil "to say even a middle of the PAC 12 team could clean the clock of any WCC team is simply wrong. What say you?"

I didn't see any Utah fans making that claim, maybe I missed something. However, given BYU is 1-2 against the lower end of the PAC 12 in basketball and 0-2 against the PAC in football it leads me to believe the Y, at best, could perform about as well as Utah if they were in the P12 conference.

Not only did Utah beat BYU in both sports, they have a better record against PAC12 teams in both sports... which begs the question "why so many BYU fans on this thread slinging mud at Utah when your team is clearly not better?

• poyman Lincoln City, OR
    Jan. 24, 2014 3:09 p.m.

Really wanting to make y'all feel better about your teams 5th consecutive road loss this year but I guess I failed...

I have to isswue some corrections to some of your comments howevere:

@uu... The West Coast Conference is the one with Gonzaga, Saint Mary's, BYU and Portland in it (Portland is the same team that took on (then #1) Michigan State in East Lansing earlier this year and led with 10 minutes left to go in the game... They are also the team that beat Gonzaga two weeks ago and eked out a triple overtime win against #38 RPI BYU last night)... Portland State, Weber State, Sac State and I believe Cal Northridge are four teams in the Big Sky... Two of which whipped Coach K's team on the utes home floor last year...

@seniors 1-4 against BYU... Pepperdine is a #117 RPI, Utah is a 129 RPI and Portland is a 134 RPI with a SOS far better than the utes... In fact if the utes were in the WCC they would have the weakest SOS in the league and their RPI would be 8th (with the last 3 WCC teams close behind).

• poyman Lincoln City, OR
    Jan. 24, 2014 3:15 p.m.

Look at it this way... the utes can only get better on the road... That seems to be in-line with the other comments who talk about an improved ute team...

The most that the utes can lose on the road this year is 11 plus one tournament game... Good thing that Hill didn't schedule anymore than 11 games on the road... You have to admit the guy knows what he's doing.

• No playoff for U Salt Lake City, UT
    Jan. 24, 2014 4:20 p.m.

1-20 on the road in the PAC; 2-26 overall on the road since joining the PAC.

Besides Washington over a year ago on Jan 19, 2013, the only other team the Utes have beaten on the road in the last three seasons is Texas St on Nov 30, 2012.

• UU Provo, UT
    Jan. 24, 2014 5:00 p.m.

poyman,

oh, it's that portland. the one that lost to north texas state and montana state at home. thanks for the clarification.

by the way, thanks for stopping by to visit yet another utah thread. we appreciate your intense interest and support of all things Utah.

• UtesBy5 Syracuse, UT
    Jan. 24, 2014 8:52 p.m.

Can someone please tell me why the majority of the comments on this University of Utah article are posted by the fan base of a WCC team? Smack talk about a team that dominated your team from start to finish? What team just lost to the Portland Pilots? Are the Portland Pilots really an NCAA D1 team? So what if they just beat Gonzaga, they also lost to North Texas and Montana State. There is a reason why the WCC is rated the #10 conference.

Despite their jealous fan base, I still hope BYU can beat Gonzaga tomorrow. Go Aggies! Beat SDSU. Go Utes against #1 Arizona! This is a great weekend for college basketball in the state of Utah.

• StGtoSLC SALT LAKE CITY, UT
    Jan. 24, 2014 9:45 p.m.

poyman, a correction for you, as well. Utah's senior (singular) is 1-1 against BYU.

• Tom in CA Vallejo, CA
    Jan. 24, 2014 10:12 p.m.

• Qwest Perfected Salt Lake City, UT
    Jan. 25, 2014 12:32 a.m.

I'm not claiming a moral victory because this years Utah team is beyond that however out of the road games the Utes have played so far, this was their best offensive effort. Good all around scoring and more than two guys were aggressive shooting the ball.

I agree with an above comment that poor free throw shooting really hurt the Utes in this game. The next game against AZ is going to be a huge test. I just hope it doesn't get too ugly.

This team continues to improve through both their wins and losses. Hopefully some of the other players can continue to grow and get more confidence shooting. I'm not sure what has happened with Parker Van Dyke, but he hasn't been able to find his shot all season.

Go Utes!

• worf Mcallen, TX
    Jan. 25, 2014 10:16 a.m.

Utes not good enough for the PAC.

Sorry.

• UtesBy5 Syracuse, UT
    Jan. 25, 2014 10:11 p.m.

@Tom in CA

"Show me a team that has lost 5 games by only 13 points, and I will show you a loser. I think Bobby Knight said something like that. Not sure."

You are the only one that has written that exact quote. I'm sure.

@worf

"Utes not good enough for the PAC. Sorry."

Utah and BYU both have four losses in their conferences. Based on your "logic" BYU must not be good enough to be in the #10 rated conference.

To all Ute-haters, Utah has improved with the current coaching staff and have an outstanding class coming in next year. There is only one senior on the team and he comes off the bench. The Utes are long and athletic and will continue to improve. The Utes have always been the state of Utah's flagship basketball program and will continue to be.