Faith

God will give you more than you can handle, I guarantee it

Comments

• photographermom South Jordan, UT
    Jan. 22, 2014 2:03 p.m.

I read this blog post a few days ago and I was so beyond inspired! Wow, talk about trials but the author seems pretty amazing and strong. I very enjoyed reading about her and felt incredibly humbled.

• Mark from Montana Davis County, UT
    Jan. 22, 2014 3:27 p.m.

I agree with the idea that God will give you more than you can handle. Six years of torture has convinced me of this. I suppose we learn more from being squashed than we do from any other circumstances. Like being in an olive press.

• Brahmabull sandy, ut
    Jan. 22, 2014 4:49 p.m.

I don't think god gives us the trials, they are a natural and random consequence of life. How could god give a person a terminal illness. How could he cause a child to die? No, he isn't the one doing those things.

• EternalPerspective Eldersburg, MD
    Jan. 23, 2014 5:56 a.m.

Ronnie W.

I appreciate the truths in your response, while also respecting the author. The concept of "handling" trials in life is a subjective proposition.

On one hand, when hard trials occur in a moment, anyone can feel initially hopeless and helpless with not "handling" but instead becoming overwhelmed. It is only when we submit our will to God fully and decide to accept whatever He gives a as response, can we be granted strength beyond ourselves to endure that time.

On the other hand, if the patterns of our lives have allowed the Atonement of Jesus Christ to transform and sanctify us through the strengthening of testimony and conversion, then we can become able to bear the hardest burdens near the moment they occur, if we give these burdens unto the Savior immediately. This is not to say we won't suffer. Rather, we can find the joy of trials more quickly than suffering breaks us down into misery.

I can imagine trials not unlike Job experienced that could be a breaking point for anyone, regardless of spiritual progression in this life. I find it is best not to compare, but extend compassion to everyone.

• EternalPerspective Eldersburg, MD
    Jan. 23, 2014 6:04 a.m.

Brahmabull

If trials are random, why do so many people who experience them testify abundantly later after the suffering has been lifted, they are now much stronger, knowledgeable, etc. to create more meaning, gratitude, and humility in life? Why wouldn't they just instead continue to suffer and harp upon all that went wrong? Is this merely explainable by the differentiation of physical DNA?

If God is real and we know trials are inevitable in life, wouldn't there instead be purpose to these things for us to learn what we cannot understand vicariously? For if we die and are no more, why do so many people suffer, while others seem to coast? There would be no purpose in living at all, except for pleasure.

I submit to you there are things more sure than sight and the physical world. There is a God and you can know Him when you decide to seek beyond what the world has told you.

• SGR Lakeland, FL
    Jan. 23, 2014 7:06 a.m.

As this article rightly points out, we need God to helps us through our troubles; we can't do it completely on our own. "... whosoever shall put their trust in God shall be supported in their trials, and their troubles, and their afflictions, and shall be lifted up at the last day" (Alma 36:3).

• jeanie orem, UT
    Jan. 23, 2014 8:08 a.m.

I tend to agree with the author. I think we hear the phrase "god will not give you more than you can handle" and hear the word "alone" at the end. Then we wonder why we are so beaten about at times in this life. I think no one gets out if this life without traveling through their own dark personal "pit of dispair".

However, I think we are given what we can handle - with the help of God and others. When we fall apart there are people around to help hold us up even if, in our darkness, we cannot see that for a while. This has been my experience anyway.

As to the idea of God giving us trials -
    I believe God has put us on this earth with its fantastic, breathtaking beauty and blessings and with its wrenching realities. Whatever we experience is a result of being placed on this earth. I do not believe God makes
    us sick, or directs cars to crash. Rather these things happen as a result of life and he is ready and willing to carry the burdens with us, guide us to peace and make us better than we were.

• G L W8 SPRINGVILLE, UT
    Jan. 23, 2014 8:20 a.m.

I have what admittedly may be a semantic argument. But it seems to me that if we endure a trial beyond our ability to do so, to the point that we put our ultimate trust in God to carry us through--yes, we have handled the trial in the most real of senses. But as the article points out, we must come to that point where we rely on Him to do what we cannot do for ourselves. That has been our own family's experience in some very real trials. These trials are not random nor chance-driven, but are central to the very purpose of life--to give us the experiences that will prepare us for life in the hereafter.

• Brahmabull sandy, ut
    Jan. 23, 2014 8:40 a.m.

EternalPerspective

I never said there was no god. I am confident that there is. I just said I don't think he interferes in our lives, and I sure don't think that he is the one giving us trials. I don't think he gives people cancer, causes people to be handicapped, or deaf, or blind for their own benefit. You are right - when people go through hardships in life (and everybody does) they come through them stronger, more humble, resilient, and much more. People react differently to trials. I will say that those who believe that god gives them trials may have that extra motivation to get through them. That in no way means god created the trial or that he helped them through it. Humans are strong, we bounce back - with or without the belief that god is testing us.

• The Scientist Provo, UT
    Jan. 23, 2014 8:46 a.m.

God does not give anyone anything. God does not exist.

• Tom Johnson Spanish Fork, UT
    Jan. 23, 2014 9:12 a.m.

I appreciate the sentiment of the author that by God giving us more than we can handle, we turn to God and become more humble and learn to know him better than we would without those trials, but, in addition, to 1 Corinthians 10:13, which the author quotes, we also have 1 Nephi 3:7: I know that the Lord giveth no commandments to the children of men save he shall prepare a way for them that they may accomplish the thing which he commandeth them." The key is in whether we turn to God for help in times of trouble--if we do, we will be able to bear it; if we don't we will be broken by it.

• EternalPerspective Eldersburg, MD
    Jan. 23, 2014 10:05 a.m.

Brahmabull

Good differentation.

If God created every living organism and element on the planet, surely He understands perfectly the trials in our physical DNA, life experiences and choices having consequence of momentary or future perils, and the events we cannot forsee. A being omnipresent and omnipotent to create worlds must fully comprehend as the author of trials.

Like you said, that doesn't necessarily mean God reaches down in a moment and torments someone with an awful affliction (not that this doesn't occur as the scriptures testify). Rather, there is a natural order for all of us. We can alter destiny in life by our personal choices, but some events we must experience are independent of free will.

In other words, if God did not provide the opposition required for us to learn by way of trials and suffering, how could we progress, let alone grow to be stronger and appreciate the things in life we might otherwise take for granted?

To understand why bad things happen to people is to recognize they occur for reasons way beyond our mortal understanding. God sees and acts with an eternal perspective. Bad things here could very easily be eternal blessings.

• Gail Fitches Layton, UT
    Jan. 23, 2014 10:38 a.m.

I can sure relate to the author of this story, and there is a lot she has left out. I know because I have felt the same way, and have gone through a simuliar situation. I am almost becoming numb to deal with all of the deaths of those I love and care about the past 10 years. I begged God for a miracle for my Mother and Boyfriend, but what they were given as medications is what killed them. Cancer is off the charts right, and there is cause and effect, and no one is addressing the causes, because it harm the industries that are poisoning us. God gives me the strength to continue, but I am also angry and bitter of what is allowed in our food, water, medications, vaccinations, and the air we breathe that are causing so many people to die before their time. The last 10 years have been so hard, and I know they are going to worse, because nothing is being addressed to stop the causes. Anyway, outstanding article. It brought tears to my eyes reading it.

• t702 Las Vegas, NV
    Jan. 23, 2014 10:54 a.m.

Life without trials will be boring and worthless. Trials are part of gods plan for happiness. How can there be happiness if there are no sadness?

• skeptic Phoenix, AZ
    Jan. 23, 2014 11:04 a.m.

Does god pick the winners and losers at the Las Vegas roulette tables, not likely. So why blame him for mans suffering or fortune. Look to nature, chance and mans imperfections and sublimity for answers.

• USAlover Salt Lake City, UT
    Jan. 23, 2014 11:48 a.m.

“If you let go a little, you will have a little peace. If you let go a lot, you will have a lot of peace.” ~Ajahn Chah

It's probably just a coincidence, or NOT, that the Bible has 365 references to letting go of Fear. One for each day of the year...

For those of you who don't have God in your life listen to Tolle. Eckhart Tolle believes we create and maintain problems because they give us a sense of identity. Perhaps this explains why we often hold onto our pain far beyond its ability to serve us.

We replay past mistakes (trials, traumas etc) over and over again in our head, allowing feelings of shame, fear and regret to shape our actions in the present. We cling to frustration and worry about the future, as if the act of fixation somehow gives us power. We hold stress in our minds and bodies, potentially creating serious health issues, and accept that state of tension as the norm.

Let go...and let God. This literally probably saved my life.

• skeptic Phoenix, AZ
    Jan. 23, 2014 12:04 p.m.

USAloner, excellent advice; but it is easier said than done. It is a bit like saying: to solve your problem just don't be yourself. However, if you have a doe able way to implement it, Ihope you will share it. thx.

• USAlover Salt Lake City, UT
    Jan. 23, 2014 12:37 p.m.

skeptic,

If it was easy, everyone would do it, and no one would suffer for a day beyond what is necessary, right?!?!
    It sounds like you don't believe in God. I do. Big time. So, my help would be biased. I would refer you to the Buddhist teachings of Allowance and Acceptance. Tara Brach is a PhD and Buddhist teacher and you can find her free podcasts online.

Good healing!

• Yorkshire City, Ut
    Jan. 23, 2014 12:41 p.m.

Oh Kayla. Thanks for sharing. I have really learned from you. I think I will always remember your words. I hope you find peace.

• Timinator Taylorsville, UT
    Jan. 23, 2014 12:42 p.m.

Well said, I also have pondered on the scripture which says we are not tempted above which we are able.I've found that I have been tempted above which I am able if I don't use the tools around me, including God, friends, scriptures, and many other things, I don't have (and I don't think anyone) has strong enough free will. So, it is a measure of strength to rely on God, not weakness.

• Long Lost America Salt Lake City, UT
    Jan. 23, 2014 1:19 p.m.

@ Ronnie W.
    Your post imposes a very 21st Century way of thinking and parameters as limitiations. The funny thing is, you probably don't even realize it. This mindset reduces to a lower spiritual level than what the author is trying to communicate. It is one thing to collapse into a debilitated state from having used up every reserve of energy or not being able to cope with your your serious and incapacitating health problems (and/or other problems), and in such a moment, where the battles of this life and the body seem expended, to call out to the Lord to come deliver you from your present incapacitated state and yearn for a passing away from this life. Your mental state of mind might even hasten such an event. But to question motives with words such as the contemplation of "suicide" truly does belittle and demean the message and intent of this author and anyone who has been raised to abhor the thought of losing your faith to the point where you consider injuring yourself and your own soul in this manner.
    When your loss has such a spiritual connection, blogging is both appropriate and logical.

• Sequoya Stafford, VA
    Jan. 23, 2014 5:48 p.m.

The problem with some of the above comments -- as to whether God would or would not permit things if just, etc. -- is that those comments only focus on the perceptions of THIS LIFE. They do not anticipate what we agreed to with (more) open eyes in the previous life; nor do they consider the outcomes and consequences that follow this life. Even where a life lived seems overwhelmed with trials, and ends with pain and suffering, it is what is learned for Eternity and associated outcomes that matter more. Eternity is a long time. We have all always existed, and always will exist; and we've always had consciousness of self, as we always will. This life is just a blip in Eternity -- an important blip, to be sure, but just a blip.

• MamaLlama Haiku, HI
    Jan. 23, 2014 6:59 p.m.

Every complaint is valid if that is one what is feeling. No one can measure or judge the depth of Kayla's feelings. Bless her heart for her faith.

• I know it. I Live it. I Love it. Provo, UT
    Jan. 23, 2014 8:36 p.m.

The phrase is not untrue.

God may surely press our limits, as the author suggests. But that doesn't change the fact, the doctrinal truth, that God does not give us anything we cannot overcome. The atonement has no limits. Man does. The author essentially makes the same point, so I'm not saying she's wrong. I just don't love when someone says "this isn't true" because it may lead people to the wrong conclusions. The phrase once helped me, so I wouldn't want to see someone doubt it. It can promote hope in God's ability and willingness to help us. That's a good thing.

Again, good article... I just prefer presenting it in a way that doesn't seem to tell other people "nope, it isn't true".

• language fan longview, wa
    Jan. 23, 2014 8:55 p.m.

I'm glad to finally hear someone say this. Thank you.

• Cats Somewhere in Time, UT
    Jan. 24, 2014 6:45 a.m.

I've often stated that if I'd had any idea life was going to be this hard, I wouldn't have come.

The ONLY way to get through the trials of life is through faith. The ONLY way to find happiness us through a relationship with God.

• sharrona layton, UT
    Jan. 24, 2014 7:46 a.m.

RE: Cats, Our Father in Heaven will allow us to go through trials, but he will never leave us alone. It is up to us to let him in.

“we know that in all things God works for the good of those who love him, who have been Called according to His Purpose”.( Romans 8:28)

RE: EternalPerspective, A being *omnipresent and omnipotent to create worlds must fully comprehend as the author of trials. True,

The "Three 'O's begins with:

God is *Omnipresent, “everywhere”. Where can I go from your Spirit? (Psalm 139:7), (John 4:24).God [is] Spirit.

God is Omnipotent, His authority and ruler ship over all creation.

God is Omniscient, having complete or unlimited knowledge, awareness, or understanding; perceiving all things.”

• Ronnie W. Layton, UT
    Jan. 24, 2014 8:34 a.m.

@LongLostAmerica

"The funny thing is, you probably don't even realize it."

I am fully aware of what my thinking does. Your post is a bit condescending, not stating your opinion as an opinion, but stating it as fact.

Anyway, assuming you are LDS, if you believe David B. Haight was an apostle when he said "[God] will not ask more than you can do, but may ask right up to your limits so you can prove yourselves", that should solve the issue for you.

My belief is the author stated it that way somewhat controversially, to get more reads. Saying the same thing over and over again doesn't get clicks. Of course God wants your to turn to him in times of need. But it doesn't have to be more than we can handle. Say he would "give us more than we can handle" implies either A)he doesn't know what he's doing or B)he simply doesn't care. Would you "give" your child more than they can handle?

• The Scientist Provo, UT
    Jan. 24, 2014 9:40 a.m.

IMHO, People who "put their faith in" a god who tortures them with pain and suffering ("trials"), and who then profess love and devotion to that being, are suffering a sort of Stockholm syndrome.

• Dante Salt Lake City, UT
    Jan. 24, 2014 3:44 p.m.

Trials are a part of life.
    Life gives us trials.
    God gives us life.
    In that sense, God gives us trials.

• bj-hp Maryville, MO
    Jan. 24, 2014 6:44 p.m.

Brahmabull: I agree to a point that many of our trials and tribulations are of our own doing. Some, however, I believe we are given by the Lord to test us as to whether we will or will not obey his commandments.

For instance on this I bring about Job who was a very obedient servant. Satan basically said take away all of his blessings and he will forget the Lord. So a deal was made and Satan basically turned Job's world upside down. Yet, through it all he never, ever forgot to show gratitude of his blessings. In the end he received 7 times what he had before the trials were given to him.

Joseph Smith also suffered many trials and tribulations brought on by men themselves. As you read D&C 121 thru 123 you find out the council from the Lord. We all have the same thing here.

Some of our trials are the result of sin, getting to prideful and the such. Again in the Book of Mormon we are told that God gives weaknesses to man so that he will humble himself before him. This is all part of the Plan of Salvation.

• LittleDrummerMan ,
    Jan. 25, 2014 12:37 a.m.

• The Scientist Provo, UT
    Jan. 25, 2014 7:36 p.m.

LittleDrummerMan wrote:

"So glad to know that there's a higher Being than myself that knows MUCH more than I do."

There are millions upon millions of human Beings who fall into the same category.

• Long Lost America Salt Lake City, UT
    Jan. 27, 2014 12:21 a.m.

@ Ronnie W.
    "Say he would "give us more than we can handle" implies either A)he doesn't know what he's doing or B)he simply doesn't care. Would you "give" your child more than they can handle?"

I am just confused now as to where you stand now since your original post mentioned consideration of suicide as one example of it being a worse case than this author describes. As for "Would you "give" your child more than they can handle?" perhaps it could include a child's value of the parent as well?

• arnold ebenal west jordan, UT
    Jan. 27, 2014 10:38 p.m.

D&C 64:20---And again I say unto you,that my servant Isaac Morley may not be tempted above that which he is able to bear.-----------D&C 82:5---Therefore what I say unto one I say unto all. We will not be tempted above that which we are able to bear. from my own experience i can testify to that.

• ocd4life Tucson, AZ
    Jan. 28, 2014 3:08 p.m.

Having gone through some perilous trials in my life, I do know that we DO NOT go through them alone ever. People are placed in our lives, family and friends are strengthened to help. There are some that wallow in self pity and shut everyone out. Like an injured animal licking it's wound. Trials come and go because that is how we are refined. They do make us stronger, spiritually and physically if we choose. Or they can cripple you. Even if you are not a Christian the Lord is there for you. I love the footprints poem, it got me through several devastating times in my life. I appreciate the hard times, they have taught me to slow down and walk a mile in someone else's shoes, to be kinder and have more compassion toward others. They have given me knowledge that I have been able to pass on to others who have suffered the same. We are given agency and how we choose to use it will see us through the trials. Faith without works is dead. Faith is what you need to have.

• thepulsiphyer Hamilton, 00
    Dec. 31, 2014 9:14 a.m.

Sadly, this article is a direct contradiction of the Lord's word to us in the scriptures. No matter how you try to talk your way around it, The word of the Lord is set and those verses do not have any "except for" explanations. It bothers me when people try to twist the word of the Lord to suit their views. Just because you don't think you can handle it the way He wants you to doesn't mean you can't. Any other thought process is dangerous and undermines the sacred gift that agency is to us.

• Itsme2 SLC, UT
    April 30, 2015 12:15 p.m.

"I can do all things through Christ which strengtheneth me." Phil 4:13. I KNOW God will give us more than we can handle. However, it is with Him that we can overcome trials. That does not mean trials are always taken away, but the burdens associated with them (misery, depression, sadness, pain, etc.) can be made light. The loss of my Dad and four babies in the last two years tells me that.

• Itsme2 SLC, UT
    April 30, 2015 12:22 p.m.

RE: The Scientist, "IMHO, People who 'put their faith in' a god who tortures them with pain and suffering ("trials"), and who then profess love and devotion to that being, are suffering a sort of Stockholm syndrome."

IMHO, people who put their faith in science alone are suffering PERIOD. I hope you can find faith and stop suffering.

• my_two_cents_worth university place, WA
    April 30, 2015 12:43 p.m.

@Itsme2

"IMHO, people who put their faith in science alone are suffering PERIOD."

Nope, not true. I'm not suffering at all. My life has it's ups and downs just like everyone else and just like everyone else working through those challenges is both satisfying and strength building. We get those challenges not because some omnipotent deity has placed a burden but because that's just the way life is sometimes. I've watched too many people I love sink in to despair over the hard knocks life sometimes hand them. Not because it makes things tough, but because they believe the burden they are experiencing is a result of failing their god and rather than work through the tough times, looking for a solution, they waste time to figure out why they are being punished.

• marxist Salt Lake City, UT
    April 30, 2015 1:53 p.m.

@Gail Fitches " Cancer is off the charts right, and there is cause and effect, and no one is addressing the causes, because it harm the industries that are poisoning us."

We are pretty sure that environment figures in 1/2 of cancers, but - and this really gets me - Mormons are generally anti-environmentalist and pro-corporation almost entirely. Conformity - conformity - conformity until it kills us.

• Itsme2 SLC, UT
    April 30, 2015 3:32 p.m.

@Two cents:

Nope, not true. People of faith I know don't sink into despair and try to figure out why they're being "punished" because they don't believe such things. And atheists do not corner the market on being strengthened by working on their challenges. People of faith do that too.

• Grumpy Granpa Spanish Fork, UT
    April 30, 2015 3:46 p.m.

Stories that I heard and moved me that are fitting for both this article and comments. A survivor of a Japanese-run internment camp said that upon liberation some prisoners thanked God. While looking at the unburied dead, he asked where was God when we needed him? A survivor of the Nazi holocaust upon finding clothing belonging to family members who had just been gassed wondered why God was on holiday as he looked up to the cold blue skies of Poland.

A third story that I heard some years ago was of a man who while fighting in Operation Iceberg, or the Battle of Okinawa became a confirmed atheist. While Japanese motor fire walked up and down US lines killing men in foxholes. That night as he listened to the screams of his dying friends and comrades he lost all faith in God.

Worse, there are those that survived and suffer from "survivors guilt". Some trials seem very great indeed, in this short life. These stories are extreme, but should I call these victims weak or some other pejorative? Instead, I should weep when they weep while blessing them for going through what I have not.

• Hutterite American Fork, UT
    April 30, 2015 10:18 p.m.

Stuff happens.

• PhoenixAZ phoenix, AZ
    May 1, 2015 5:11 a.m.

I have never believed in that phrase. It's nice to hear, but it isn't true. If it was, there were be no suicides. Simple as that. People do get more than they can handle.

• samhill Salt Lake City, UT
    May 1, 2015 8:26 a.m.

To "TheScientist", who states emphatically and with what appears to be a very anti-scientific certitude, "God does not give anyone anything. God does not exist.", I'd love to see you prove that assertion. Especially, given the handle you've chosen, scientifically.

Assuming you do in fact have some familiarity with science, I anticipate that you would respond with something to the effect that, "Proving that something does NOT exist is a logical and certainly scientific impossibility! That's not what science is about." To which I would respond, "Exactly my point."

Which would then beg the question, why in the world did you choose such a misleading handle?

• Hutterite American Fork, UT
    May 1, 2015 8:27 a.m.

If god manages our lives, why do we show up?

• OneHumanFamily Provo, UT
    May 1, 2015 10:25 a.m.

"God will give you more than you can handle"

Based on the number of suicides each year, I think that is a pretty safe assumption.

• Not Asleep Lewiston, UT
    May 1, 2015 10:32 a.m.

I totally agree with the author's premise and glad she turned to the scriptures for verification of the philosophy. I think the actions of the human race, individually and collectively, are prima facie evidence that we are given more than we can handle because we all have fallen short-- not one of us has risen above every moment, trial, or obstacle. Doesn't that make the point, that this life is really more than we can handle, because we have never risen above all of our "moments" in life. Only one has and He happens to be the only one who can help us survive, not to mention rise above, perfectly if we can, the crises, temptations, and trials of our lives.

As an aside, I think we do need to be careful about the sometimes tired phrases we circulate and check them for doctrinal purity.

• my_two_cents_worth university place, WA
    May 1, 2015 4:12 p.m.

@Itsme2

"People of faith I know don't sink into despair and try to figure out why they're being "punished""

Well, since you can't possibly know all people of all faiths I have to ask, "what's your point?"

"And atheists do not corner the market on being strengthened.."

I never claimed otherwise so I have to ask, "what's your point?"

• The Caravan Moves On Enid, OK
    May 2, 2015 7:40 p.m.

Nice article but I think the intent of "God won't give you anything you can't handle" statement is that God will give you nothing that you and He TOGETHER can not handle.

Having said that, I 100% agree with you that God indeed gives us ALL problems from time to time that we cannot handle solely by ourselves. If we always could then we'd never see, or even have, a reason to turn to God.

I hope you get over your mourning soon. Like you, I know you will see your father again.

Hang in there!

• Blake19868976 Seattle, WA
    May 6, 2015 5:52 p.m.

@Eternal Perspective

"If trials are a natural consequence and there is no God, even endure them in the first place? Wouldn't we just give up, or abandon principle entirely and become hedonistic to place pleasure seeking above everything?"

No. There's a thing called empathy. And another thing called survival instinct. Or just downright will to live. It's not exclusive to people who believe in the man in the sky.

"If trials are random, why do so many people who experience them testify abundantly later after the suffering has been lifted, they are now much stronger, knowledgeable, etc. to create more meaning, gratitude, and humility in life? Why wouldn't they just instead continue to suffer and harp upon all that went wrong?"

Again, because with or without a belief in god, people are capable of thinking positively and learning from tribulation.

Sounds like you should get out more. Atheists don't bite.