Faith

LDS man creates 'Office Thief' Doritos ad for Super Bowl competition

Comments

• The Final Word Alpine, UT
    Jan. 22, 2014 10:23 a.m.

Go watch the Doritos Finalist commercials if you need some humor. There are some really good ones. I think the Office Thief is awesome and certainly worth consideration as the best of the group.

It got my vote but it was close!!!

Great commercials!!!

• Midwest Mom Soldiers Grove, WI
    Jan. 22, 2014 12:16 p.m.

I sometimes feel weird seeing the ongoing articles in this paper, and other sources, about the members of my church. This ego-centric focus borders on the embarrassing, as though LDS members aren't as capable of accomplishments as anyone else. Or rather like Sally Field's odd Oscar acceptance speech "you like me, you really like me!"

While I get that Utah is the center of church leadership, I think it's time that members get over the whole persecution thing. Out here "in the mission field," we tend to think of ourselves as citizens of the world who are openly guided by our faith, not cloistered "mormons" who are trying to prove our religious conviction by exceptionalism in worldly pursuits.

• ODannyBoy Sandy, Utah
    Jan. 22, 2014 12:53 p.m.

Thank you Midwest Mom. Exactly. There is no connection between being LDS and making a great Doritos ad.

• PookyBear84010 KAYSVILLE, UT
    Jan. 22, 2014 1:51 p.m.

I look at it differently, Midwest Mom. It's a marketing decision. With newspapers having a hard time staying in business and intense competition for Internet ad sales, DN has chosen to "add value" for a large Utah consumer base by focusing on what they think interests them ... including what they may share in common with people in the news. It may seem "needy" when done to excess, but it's probably only intended to catch reader interest in an dog-eat-dog market.

• Uncle Rico Sandy, UT
    Jan. 22, 2014 4:22 p.m.

@ Midwest Mom

You try living here then you can lecture us on how we should behave. I have lived half my life outside of Utah the other half in Utah and there is a huge difference.

• nomo Draper, UT
    Jan. 22, 2014 4:22 p.m.

Midwest Mom relax its a Doritos add. You are overthinking this!

• carman Wasatch Front, UT
    Jan. 22, 2014 5:34 p.m.

Midwest Mom,

You clearly have an issue with the DN highlighting interesting things that LDS people are doing around the world. This doesn't have to be about the persecution syndrome you are worrying about, though some may still have this. It is likely more about highlighting an accomplishment of someone who grew up in a large family, who faced challenges in meeting his dream, but found a way to express his talents in a tangential field, and ended up getting his work in the biggest advertising stage in the world, for one of the premiere snack and beverage companies. If you don't find that interesting, don't waste your time commenting on it.

p.s. I grew up and spent most of my life outside of the Wasatch Front, and like you have found LDS people all over the world doing very interesting things in their respective fields. I find it interesting to see what people, that I feel a connection to, are doing with their talents. So smile, and be happy, or ignore the things that bring you stress.

• truth in all its forms henderson, NV
    Jan. 22, 2014 5:47 p.m.

I had no idea Chris was Mormon. His videos on you tube are hilarious, though definitely not family friendly!

• Piper Scio, OR
    Jan. 22, 2014 8:00 p.m.

Midwest Mom- There might be some good newspapers in Wisconsin, although I've never bothered to look... I like the Deseret News and you must too because you're here.

• timpClimber Provo, UT
    Jan. 22, 2014 8:55 p.m.

I enjoy reading about those who dream and then take action to make the dream a reality. That's one reason I am a teacher to help youth grow their dreams. So reading about an LDS dreamer achieving success is refreshing compared to so much of the news. Keep printing those kind of stories, please.

• Janet Ontario, OR
    Jan. 22, 2014 11:02 p.m.

@Midwest Mom: I get where you're coming from. There is something very provincial about the Utah-and-LDS-centric nature of these articles. I don't know why you read the DN, but I read it because it's the best place for news about the LDS Church and Utah teams my husband and I have some connection with. It also tends to provide a different editorial viewpoint from other papers, and although my viewpoint more liberal, I like balance.

• Sports Are Great Salt Lake City, UT
    Jan. 22, 2014 11:49 p.m.

Midwest - I agree with you. The only thing more silly than the need to point out LDS affiliation with these stories is the need to complain about stories that point out LDS affiliation.

• G L W8 SPRINGVILLE, UT
    Jan. 23, 2014 7:52 a.m.

I find myself somewhat in sympathy with Midwest mom, though not in total agreement. I reacted much the same way she did when I read the headline of the "Elvis Bishop". But, like it or not, the majority of DesNews readers like these stories or the News wouldn't print them. It's the old principle of "write for your audience" we learned in English classes.
    As far as the "Utah" Mormon vs. LDS outside of "Zion's" environs, I've lived both places. I see too many similarities than differences to quibble about the latter. It becomes much ado about nothing.

• PMark Tomball, TX
    Jan. 23, 2014 7:54 a.m.

Midwest Mom,

Are you saying that the Milwaukee Journal Sentinel never has human interest stories about Wisconsinites? Are you saying that the Chicago Tribune never has human interest stories about Illinoisans? Are you saying that the New York Times never has human interest stories about New Yorkers? Are you saying that the Wall Street Journal never has human interest stories about businessmen and bankers? Are you saying that the Electrical Engineering Times never has human interest stories about Electrical Engineers?

They do -- every single one of them. So what do you have against the flagship paper of the Mormon Church having human interest stories about Mormons?

• Jimm8 sarver, PA
    Jan. 23, 2014 9:18 a.m.

If I may chime in- on the East Coast where your kids are the only Mormon in the entire school, it's neat for them to see any positive stories that involved someone who is also LDS. It lets them (and the parents) know that we're aren't alone, and that they can also acheive success (however measured). The Lord will bless them when they apply their talents and work hard- just like it did this guy (or whomever is highlighted in any particular story).
    Does that make sense?
    Thank you.

• guitarboy South Jordan, UT
    Jan. 23, 2014 9:26 a.m.

Midwest Mom,

I grew up in Utah. I once lived for a few months in Wisconsin, between years of college. Loved every minute in Wisconsin, swimming in ponds and lakes, fishing for crappie, going to church in a branch. Was hoping to find it different from where I grew up, and I did. I loved being there.

I was amused by your comment up there. I have heard many unfair stereotypes about Utahns, but I didn't know one of them is that LDS people from Utah are "trying to prove [their] religious conviction by exceptionalism in worldly pursuits." You might believe you made a valid point by lumping everybody together, but, is that really what you take away from this article? Or did you just want to take a shot at people you feel superior to?

Hope the rest of your week goes okay.

• mancan HC, UT
    Jan. 23, 2014 10:42 a.m.

I saw this ad and the other 4 contenders as well. It was funny, but did I vote for it because the guy who made it is also LDS? No. Actually I thought one of the other ads was a better Super Bowl ad, although this one could be a good ad for Doritos to run at other times. There is nothing wrong with pointing out an LDS connection to something, but if we want to be judged fairly by others, we need to also judge others fairly. It would be wrong (and against the law) to hire someone who goes to church with us instead of someone more qualified who isn't LDS. The same thing applies here. (BTW, by voting, Doritos gets your Facebook contacts and profile info).

• Gosh-DUH Burlington, CT
    Jan. 23, 2014 12:01 p.m.

Thanks to this article for sending me to the Doritos Superbowl commercial site. I've already voted twice for the Cowboy Kid commercial, and plan to vote for that commercial the next few days. It was exceptional in my view; wondered if that little boy really rode the dog as a horse or trick photography. anyway, best of the choices, my opinion. fun to see the other commercials, although one was really really gross.

• Mayfair City, Ut
    Jan. 23, 2014 1:56 p.m.

The best was the 4 seconds of the man eating handfuls in the break room to the pretty music.

In my random and unscientific survey, no one cared about the Ostrich----but they would have watched several most seconds of that guy eating with both hands, to that music. :)

• kigalia ,
    Jan. 24, 2014 9:00 a.m.

Midwest Mom:
    Speaking as a former journalist/teacher I find it very refreshing to have these feature stories available to "LDS Living" readers who are looking for some good news in today's every increasing deluge of gloom and crime. I don't think it's self-serving or a reaction to a "persecution" complex. It's just a great human interest story, that like minded people would find interesting. If it happened in your hometown, I would hope your local paper would see it in the same light, and run an equally positive story of a "local boy who does good." We need more of these kind of stories. The world's excess of hard news grinds everyone down.

• The Scientist Provo, UT
    Jan. 24, 2014 9:53 a.m.

mancan wrote:

"It would be wrong (and against the law) to hire someone who goes to church with us instead of someone more qualified who isn't LDS. The same thing applies here."

Yet it happens frequently among LDS people.

But I appreciate that one LDS acknowledges it is wrong (religious discrimination). Thank you for your comment.

• antodav TAMPA, FL
    Jan. 25, 2014 10:02 p.m.

LOL. It seems like something a Mormon would write. I hope he wins. 😊

• antodav TAMPA, FL
    Jan. 26, 2014 2:17 p.m.

@Midwest Mom,

You make a good point, but I would add that people out in "the mission field" tend to understand persecution a whole lot better than people in Utah do, due to the fact that they are actually persecuted, particularly if they live in the "Bible Belt". Perhaps that is the real cause of why Church media outlets often times seems to exist in a pocket universe of its own. Because Mormon culture causes people to be sheltered from the outside world, and often place great value on things that, while important to Latter-Day Saints as a people, have little to nothing to do with our religion.

I am glad that I live in Florida and not in a place with a large LDS population. I don't want my children confusing culture with doctrine, as so many others do.

• fairah Northern, UT
    Jan. 30, 2014 8:50 a.m.

Midwest Mom,

Guitar Boy made a wonderful point in his comment - please be sure to read it. Lumping everyone together is really what the problem is when it comes to "the whole persecution thing" you speak of, don't you think? There are some members who are like what you think in Utah, and there are some like that in other states (personally experienced this). There are also amazing members outside of Utah as well as within the state of Utah.

I find this labeling/judging LDS members who happen to live in Utah very sad and not at all in line with what the gospel teaches. We as members are ALL LDS, and we should ALL stand by each other and live the gospel as Christ taught. Grouping us into separate groups reminds me of what the Lamanites did all throughout the Book of Mormon. Don’t label us "Utah mormons" and "members in the mission field mormoms". Let us learn from their mistakes in the Book of Mormon and not make the same ones. Let us strive to have the pure love of Christ for all of our fellow man, including other members regardless of where they live.