BYU football: Backup quarterback Ammon Olsen transferring to SUU

Comments

• Uncle Rico Provo, UT
    Jan. 21, 2014 5:16 p.m.

Deja vu?

Remember when Brad Sorensen transferred to SUU because BYU was loaded with QBs (Heaps and Nelson). Sorensen ended up being better than both and is currently a backup for the Chargers.

Olsen is a better QB than Hill. Remember when Hill had 30 incompletions against Utah?
    However, BYU's schedule next year will allow them to start a RB (Hill) as QB and still win 10 games.

• plyxply SLC, UT
    Jan. 21, 2014 5:16 p.m.

It is amazing to me that Utah wouldn't have gone after Ammon, he's a better qb than they've had on their roster since Brian Johnson. Of course Utah isn't known for their wise recruiting when it comes to offensive players so I guess I should't be surprised.
    Good luck to Ammon, he'll be great at SUU.

• Black&Blue St George, Utah
    Jan. 21, 2014 5:22 p.m.

Shame to see him go...
    I'm sure it is the best choice for him if he wants playing time. But on the other hand, if Taysom goes down with an injury we are in trouble. Tanner Mangum still has another year on his mission from my understanding. Christian Stewart and Billy Green will need to make some big strides this off-season.

• Cougar Blue 1 Henderson , NV
    Jan. 21, 2014 5:25 p.m.

In Mangum we trust.

• Ironmomo Ogden, UT
    Jan. 21, 2014 5:26 p.m.

Maybe he's hoping to follow Brad Sorensen's example and make a reputation that could carry him to the next level.

Good luck Ammon!

• Deserthiker SALT LAKE CITY, UT
    Jan. 21, 2014 5:32 p.m.

Wishing Ammon good luck and lots of success playing in Cedar City. Thanks for all the hard work you've put in as a Cougar. We'll miss you in Provo but I completely understand wanting to get playing time. I'm excited that you'll be playing for my undergrad Alma Mater SUU! I'll be following your future career with interest and support.

• plyxply SLC, UT
    Jan. 21, 2014 5:38 p.m.

He definitely has a better chance of playing in the NFL than Hill does.

• 2013 Ute Seniors SWEEP byU 4-0 Ogden, UT
    Jan. 21, 2014 5:50 p.m.

Rico,

My thoughts exactly. Due to Bronco's skills in developing and coaching players, byu ended up playing a backup safety in Nelson for 3 years instead of a current NFL player in Sorensen.

And why would a QB want to leave QB U?

Even with less playing time, wouldn't all QB's want to play at QB U?

• souptwins Lindon, UT
    Jan. 21, 2014 6:03 p.m.

Good luck to Olsen but this makes me a bit more nervous about Hill getting injured. Cougar blue--- Mangum still has one more year on his mission.

• Uncle Rico Provo, UT
    Jan. 21, 2014 6:09 p.m.

Re: plyxply

So if they don't recruit as well as BYU, Utah must develop their players much better.

Utah has twice as many offensive players in the NFL than BYU (8 vs 4)
    Utah has three times as many defensive players in the NFL than BYU (12 vs 4)

• Big 12 Call Yet? Ogden, UT
    Jan. 21, 2014 6:13 p.m.

If history is any indication under coaches Mendenhall at byu and Lamb at SUU, Ammon likely has a better chance at getting to the NFL at SUU with coach Lamb. I imagine that played into the decision, just as it did for Brad Sorensen a few years ago(and who is now in the NFL)

Best of luck Ammon.

• Utes-Best Lil Brothers Anaheim, CA
    Jan. 21, 2014 6:47 p.m.

Wishing Ammon well at SUU!

---------

It's laughable to see our little friends from the hill chiming in on a QB transferring from BYU because of BYU's wealth of quality QBs, while the Utes have struggled with a dearth of quality QBs since BJ left.

Taysom Hill is popping up on numerous Heisman watch lists for 2014. Utah may not have a starter identified until the end of fall camp.

• Rose Bowl call yet? Salt Lake City, UT
    Jan. 21, 2014 7:02 p.m.

B12

Remind us how many Whittingham-coached QBs have played in a regular season NFL game.

Utah's Sugar Bowl MVP didn't even make an NFL roster.

• Sambonethegreat Salt Lake City, UT
    Jan. 21, 2014 7:11 p.m.

I'm not certain how good Ammon Olsen actually is, but SUU has only had one player drafted in their entire history (Sorensen).

It will be a while before we know if Olsen can get drafted or not.

• BigCougar Bountiful, UT
    Jan. 21, 2014 7:22 p.m.

Good luck Ammon! Sorry to see you go.

• AZguy Phoenix, AZ
    Jan. 21, 2014 7:28 p.m.

Good luck to Ammon Olsen. I hope it goes well for him and certainly understand his reasoning. If he does not get a shot at the next level, he only has two more years of playing time. Might as well make the most of it.

Todd Mortensen went to USD with Harbaugh and parlayed that into 3-4 years of hanging around pro football. Maybe the same thing can happen for Ammon.

BTW, transferring to Utah would have been silly. He would have lost a year of eligibility and would not have been able to play until 2015.

• Stang08 Southern, UT
    Jan. 21, 2014 7:50 p.m.

I'm surprised one aggie is giving him credit. The other one is Sambonethegreat.

• worf Mcallen, TX
    Jan. 21, 2014 8:00 p.m.

Stewart is a good quarterback. We'll ok.

with another

• BlackDiamond Provo, UT
    Jan. 21, 2014 8:16 p.m.

Good luck Ammon, as a BYU fan i'm sick of hearing that QB will be better next year. We have been saying that since Heaps came. Until the QB situation is fixed I won't fall for that trick again for next season. My prediction for next year, we'll probably beat a low team and get too much hype and lose the games that matters.

• Cougar Blue 1 Henderson , NV
    Jan. 21, 2014 8:23 p.m.

Thanks Souptwins, I already knew he has a year left on his mission. My point is, that while I do think Taysom will get better as he is getting outside help to improve his accuracy, the future of the program will be through Mangum. At least that is the hope. He is a true pocket passer with a solid arm. I just hope Anae will be gone by then.

• Y-Ask-Y? Provo, UT
    Jan. 21, 2014 8:46 p.m.

Crowton got to him.

Neither of them are dummies.

Go Thunderbirds!

• Ernest T. Bass Bountiful, UT
    Jan. 21, 2014 9:06 p.m.

SUU is the second best program in the state after The Byu so he will be ok.

• Duckhunter Highland, UT
    Jan. 21, 2014 9:11 p.m.

He went to SUU because by transferring down a level he doesn't lose a year of eligibility. He wants to play, who can blame him? I'll take some credit and point out I posted this was going to happen a couple of weeks ago. It does affect BYU's depth but I wouldn't worry to much about it, they have some other guys there that can play.

• SoUtBoy25 Cedar City, UT
    Jan. 21, 2014 9:37 p.m.

Go luck Ammon, he'll be great for coach lamb and the t-birds. Every time I read the comment boards it reminds me of how true Bronco's statement was about some byu fans.

• Chris B Salt Lake City, UT
    Jan. 21, 2014 9:36 p.m.

Rose Bowl,

How about you tell us the total guys drafted under Whittingham and the total guys drafted under Bronco?

Its over a 3 to 1 ratio in favor of Whit.

In fact, Bronco has never had a single guy that he's recruited been drafted.

9 years - ZERO players drafted that he recruited.

Whittingham is approaching 20

• Chris B Salt Lake City, UT
    Jan. 21, 2014 9:39 p.m.

Sambone,

The rivalry between SUU and USU is cute. Its funny when you guys bash on SUU. No doubt you'll continue to be great rivals in the future too!

• runnerguy50 Virginia Beach, Va
    Jan. 21, 2014 10:00 p.m.

First of all like the way Bronco runs his program but if there is one weakness Bronco has in my view it is evaluating QB talent.
    The whole Riley thing was a disaster. I wish Olsen the best and hope he has a great year and plays at the next level.

• Sambonethegreat Salt Lake City, UT
    Jan. 21, 2014 10:05 p.m.

@Chris B.

Rivalry with SUU? I never said or implied anything about something that comical. What are U talking about? Maybe because one particular SUU fan wastes all of his time trolling USU's comment boards? Don't mistake THAT for a rivalry.

Several people on here are talking about the possibility of Olsen getting drafted and I think it's just way too early to tell. It also doesn't help that only one player in SUU history has ever been drafted to the NFL, and that was just last year.

• 54-10 Salt Lake City, UT
    Jan. 21, 2014 10:15 p.m.

Cougar fan better hope Hill stays healthy even with a very weak 2014 schedule.

• SportsFan Orem, UT
    Jan. 21, 2014 10:20 p.m.

54iq

How about you respond to the original question?

Whittingham's QB recruiting and coaching resume has been a disaster.

Bronco had the #5 pick in the draft last season. Who cares whether Bronco "recruited" Ziggy. Bronco was the one who was insightful enough to give Ziggy an opportunity to learn the game.

How many walkons has Whittingham coached from not even knowing how to don a pair of shoulder pads to first round NFL draft pick?

Compared to what Bronco accomplished with Ziggy, Kyle is a rank amateur.

• poyman Lincoln City, OR
    Jan. 22, 2014 1:10 a.m.

Tough situation, you hate to see a quality back-up QB take a Transfer if you are BYU's coaching staff... But the kid is good (much better than any other back-up in the state) and he deserves a shot at starting at the college level... If he proves himself he may get a shot at the NFL and a number of other QBs from smaller FCS schools have made it in the League (i.e. Joe Flacco, Baltimore; Doug Williams, Washington DC; Terry Bradshaw, Pittsburgh; and Alex Smith, KC, etc.) to just name a few...

I wish him a lot of luck and I am very hopeful that he succeeds down south... Unfortunately for him he got matched up against a very talented dual threat QB in Hill...

A suggestion for the ute Trolls... Print your negative comments about Taysom Hill that y'all wrote in this article and then pull it out in 10 years when he is putting up Steve Young like numbers in the NFL to win his first league MVP award to go along with his Super Bowl ring...

Hill has crazy talent and will be a very good one in two short years.

• eastcoastcoug Danbury, CT
    Jan. 22, 2014 1:17 a.m.

BYU has maxed out its potential with Mendenhall as coach. He's a great guy who leads well with BYU's values but hasn't figured out the offensive side of the ball. All great leaders recognize where they are weak and put in someone strong in that area. We've struggled with a novice and a two-time disaster at OC.

I wish Ammon well, but wonder how starting football could be more important than a degree from a better institution (the same reason I think any scholar would be best off to go to Stanford over BYU). Isn't SUU in Cedar City? Seems like all the community colleges in Utah have put a U. behind their name in the past 10 years. Can someone please explain how this works in UT?

• Zoniezoobie Mesa, AZ
    Jan. 22, 2014 4:50 a.m.

Good luck Ammon and the T-birds in the Big Sky. Along with Coach Lamb and Crowton, hopefully you will have a couple of great seasons over the Montana schools and the rest to reach the FCS field of 24, where the champion of college football is decided on the field!

This new FBS field of 4 decided by the opinion polls is a meager start. Perhaps some time in the distant future, the major colleges will finally get it right when they expand the field considerably...

• thebigsamoan Richmond, VA
    Jan. 22, 2014 4:58 a.m.

I'm sorry for my Cougars but I'm happy for Olsen doing what he feels is best for him in his situation. Can't say I fault him for wanting an opportunity to play. Here's wishing you good luck Mr. Olsen, and wish you nothing but the best.

• Blue Collar Huntington, UT
    Jan. 22, 2014 6:41 a.m.

Good luck kid, hope it works out for you. I hate to see you go, but wish you the best.

• Uteology East Salt Lake City, Utah
    Jan. 22, 2014 6:58 a.m.

Utes-Best Lil Brothers

------

Really? As a RB? Name a few watch lists. I can't imagine one of the worst passing QBs in the nation being on any list right now.

• JoeBA Pleasant Grove, ut
    Jan. 22, 2014 6:58 a.m.

I don't know why anyone would bash on Hill at all. His pocket presence is solid--not spectacular, but imagine if he had an O-line that actually blocked...
    With even a moderate amount of time to throw, Hill would be dominant. His reads are good and his decisions great for a Sophomore. Seriously--if BYU had a Line even close to Wisconsin's, for example, they would have pummeled everyone on their schedule last year. Give Hill an extra 2 seconds to throw, and watch what could happen.

• Ifel Of'a-sofa Alpine, Utah
    Jan. 22, 2014 6:59 a.m.

Richard turning a BYU/SUU post around to mention the Aggies? Wow... can you say consumed?

chrisb, how many more stats can you throw around to try and make the utes dismal seasons seem better?

• LonestarRunner Salt Lake City, UT
    Jan. 22, 2014 7:20 a.m.

eastcoastcoug

Mendenhall doesn't need to figure out the offensive side of the ball; he just needs a good offensive coordinator with a solid offensive line to do that.

• cal cougar camarillo, CA
    Jan. 22, 2014 7:21 a.m.

Development of the quarterback that is not starting, needs to be a priority. Junk time in football games needs the backup out there throwing passes, not handing off. Be more worried about your player development than worried that you will offend some other coach by throwing the ball with your second string. Also, if you have misjudged talent, you might have a chance to reconsider. Additionally, it keeps the competition open and the backups a lot happier. This is about my harshest critique of Bronco.

• Y Grad / Y Dad Richland, WA
    Jan. 22, 2014 7:25 a.m.

The vitriol is really making this more complicated than it needs to be.

If he thinks he has a shot at the NFL, he has to go some place where he will play.

Two years is better than one, so he has to transfer down.

SUU is as good a place as any, to play. If he doesn't make it in the NFL, he can always go some place big for a masters degree.

Bottom line: he's a good kid with the courage to go make his own luck.

Hill is a good quarterback who will get better with time, a lot better against next years schedule, and a ton better if his line blocking for him improves.

And as a final shot, how many kids Whit got into the NFL won't save his job if he doesn't start winning more games, and Bronco could go forever before another BYU player gets drafted, and keep his job, if they can win more games.

Just win baby.

Or in Bronco's case, just win and keep the kids clean.

• Steven S Jarvis Orem, UT
    Jan. 22, 2014 7:38 a.m.

@Chris B

SUU is on Utah's schedule. You'll get a chance to see just how your program can do against them in a couple years with Crowton at the wheel. Teams will be different then so don't be surprised if the Utes actually have a challenge on their hands when SUU comes to town.

• TheNun Granstville, UT
    Jan. 22, 2014 8:08 a.m.

Further evidence of the agreement between SU and the Y. Because they play similar schedules, each year the "winner" between Crowton and Anae gets to be Bronco's OC the following year, the " loser" goes back to SU for more training and experience calling games at that level, kinda like the D League.
    Apparently, the plan now includes quarterbacks, as well.

• Christine B. Hedgefog Salt Lake City, UT
    Jan. 22, 2014 8:43 a.m.

I'm sure Washington State loves Chris B talking up their future D-Coordinator. By this time next year we'll never again have to hear about all those QB's Kyle has put into the NFL, which is sad, because once the U gives him his walking papers and hires a PAC-10 level HC they might actually climb into the middle third of the conference.

• Cougsndawgs West Point , UT
    Jan. 22, 2014 9:14 a.m.

BYUs QBs will be fine. Hill completed over 50% of his passes for nearly 3000 yards and rushed for 1348 yards...all behind a dismal offensive line. Clean up the O-line and heck yes He's a Heisman contender.

Uteology:
    Ever heard of Athlon Sports? They have Taysom Hill listed as a candidate in 2014. Just because your QBs stink doesn't mean you have to put others down. Looking forward to 4-8 next year...exciting times for the Utes!

• football_fan Murray, UT
    Jan. 22, 2014 9:16 a.m.

Ammon was the best QB BYU had and now they let him go. Ammon go rip it up at SUU!!! I have seen you play a little in high school and I was very shocked that BYU started Taysom in front of you. Good luck my friend.

• Cougar Passion Salt Lake City, UT
    Jan. 22, 2014 9:18 a.m.

Glad to see the new commenting rules have made a noticeable impact on the level of dialogue here....

• AZ Blue & Red Gilbert, AZ
    Jan. 22, 2014 9:26 a.m.

Wish him the best. Can not blame him at all. Hope he does well. Think he will do great.

Reminds me of Royce Bybee who I think was a better QB than McMahon but got caught behind him and Jim did a great job. Don't get me wrong Jim was fantastic but Royce was as good if not better. He made all the national lists at Ricks and just got caught in a system with too many good QB's. (He was 10 times a better man too) Also reminds me of Steve Young at SF. To me he was much better than Montana yet Joe did a great job and was a winner and until Steve got his chance then you knew how good he really was. Still holds the NFL record for best QB rating overall.

Betting Ammon will do the same at SUU. Go SUU!

• LonestarRunner Salt Lake City, UT
    Jan. 22, 2014 9:28 a.m.

Uteology

"I can't imagine one of the worst passing QBs in the nation being on any list right now."

That's because your crimson goggles have blinded you to the real world outside of the crimson bubble.

With your exceptional research skills, I'm sure you'll be able to find the articles if you're really interested in reading them.

btw, Taysom Hill's Sophomore passing efficiency rating of 118.5 was BETTER than Steve Young's 110.6 passing rating his Sophomore season.

• LonestarRunner Salt Lake City, UT
    Jan. 22, 2014 9:36 a.m.

TheNun

The real agreement is between the U and Wyo, which have agreed to slowly swap coaching staffs since they're so much alike in leading teams to 5-7, bowl-less finishes.

• the REAL DEAL Sandy, UT
    Jan. 22, 2014 9:39 a.m.

@ LonestarRunner-

Yeah I'm a POTENTIAL Heisman candidate also. ha ha

• Cougsndawgs West Point , UT
    Jan. 22, 2014 9:46 a.m.

LR:
    Nice post on the comparison with Steve Young. That said, it really isn't a fair comparison because Steve didn't play a lot in his sophomore year (a couple games when McMahon was injured). I think everyone forgets that Steve had to develop a lot as a QB and it took time, even after he went to the NFL. If Hill didn't have a strong arm or there were throws he just couldn't make then I'd be saying something different, but his arm is very strong and if he can develop and learn to go through his progressions and stand in the pocket he'll be very good in the future. I had my doubts early on, but he really showed some stuff as the season progressed.

• cdchttrtn meridian, idaho
    Jan. 22, 2014 10:04 a.m.

Cougar Blue 1..... I'm with you!!!!! I too hope Anae is gone when Mangum returns. In fact I would like to see him gone NOW!!!!!!

• Tators Hyrum, UT
    Jan. 22, 2014 10:18 a.m.

It's always interesting that certain Ute trolls (Chris and uteology for instance) are always naive enough to come on these boards and make unsubstantiated claims that show they either can't or don't read football stats before writing.

Hill started the first few games of the season with bad passing numbers, but his second half numbers were better than any QB at the U. Uteology should know that, but likes to pretend otherwise.

Only a few QB's in the nation have put up the passing-running combo numbers that he did. Open-eyed Ute fans salivate at the thought of having a QB like him. It literally hurts them inside to stifle the urge to admit it. The closed-eyed ones cherry pick old numbers that end up making them look out-of-touch.
    TheNun... from Grantsville... nuff said.

They are trying to get their digs in now before the Utes have another dismal record next season in their "prestigious" PAC conference. After a third straight year with a losing record and no bowl invites, their tough schedule will be all they talk about. It's the easiest thing of all to predict about next season.

• ekute Layton, UT
    Jan. 22, 2014 10:25 a.m.

I wonder if Apo will follow him. bronco wasted some very good quarterbacks and receivers by hiring anae back and playing nelson and hill.

• Protecting This House Salt Lake City, UT
    Jan. 22, 2014 10:26 a.m.

"Athlon and Bleacher Report have both published articles listing Taysom as a potential Heisman candidate for 2014."

Was that before they looked at YbU's powder puff schedule? Because with no body of work, and inconsistent passing, you can chalk up his Heisman potential right next to YbU's National Championship potential.

• Stringer Bell Henderson, NV
    Jan. 22, 2014 10:35 a.m.

Smart kid. Wish him the best. He obviously believes he has a better chance to make it to the NFL at SUU.

• Stang08 Southern, UT
    Jan. 22, 2014 10:53 a.m.

All I said was I'm impressed some aggies are giving Olsen credit. Notice that the aggie regulars were on here long before I was.

• Wayne Rout El Paso, TX
    Jan. 22, 2014 10:54 a.m.

I understand why he would do this. It makes sense. There is no offense at BYU except for the last two quarterback to run the ball because they can't throw. A passing quarterback has no place at BYU. Over time this mindset will drag the Cougar program down the drain.

• 54-10 Salt Lake City, UT
    Jan. 22, 2014 11:00 a.m.

SportsFan
    Orem, UT

... and exactly why was that directed at me? My comment had nothing to do with Bronco, Whit, or Ziggy.

• BlueHusky Mission Viejo, CA
    Jan. 22, 2014 11:07 a.m.

Hill is the real deal. You'll see. He has the gun and the legs. He'll be a great QB.

Ammon Olsen did the right thing for himself.

Everybody, including me, were screaming for Lark during the Nelson broke back years. In the Poinsettia Bowl, Lark showed why he couldn't beat out a guy with a broken back. The coaches are not as stupid as we fans are.

• Objectified Tooele, UT
    Jan. 22, 2014 11:24 a.m.

@ Protecting This House:

You're currently not protecting your house. You're making it look uninformed by calling BYU's schedule "powder puff" after the pre-conference schedule the Ute basketball team just played. Another great example of the pot calling the kettle black. Even audacious. The irony is almost laughable.

Even a novice knows that professional programs like Athlon and Bleacher Report list potential Heisman candidates on what they've previously shown as individuals, and not what their future team schedules look like. The improvement Taysom showed from the beginning and throughout last season was astronomical. True unbiased pundits noticed, and rightfully so.

A good time to remind everyone that schedules are made years in advance before anyone knows what those teams will be like when the games are actually played. Auburn went from one of their worst seasons ever to a championship contender in a single year.

Interesting that Idaho State and Southern Utah are on the Ute's football schedule... and not once admitted to by any Ute fan. Like Tators said... cherry picking.

That said, I'm hoping all local teams do well next season. Some great football comes from our state almost every year.

• plyxply SLC, UT
    Jan. 22, 2014 11:26 a.m.

Here are the end of season state football rankings.
    1- USU
    2- BYU
    3- (tie)Utah, SUU
    4- Weber St.
    5- Snow
    6- Dixie
    Olsen will help SUU surpass Utah for the next few seasons.
    And Ute fans, have a winning season, then pop off. The pac 12 stickers still look cute though.

• ekute Layton, UT
    Jan. 22, 2014 11:41 a.m.

byu fans should be worried. With the way hill runs the offense he's vulnerable, and then what?
    If hill has to miss any games and with byu's schedule, bronco and his team will a laughing stalk if they don't win at least 10 games.

• lefty200 kaysville, UT
    Jan. 22, 2014 11:43 a.m.

It's interesting to hear all the arm chair quarterbacks tell us how it really is. Haven't any of you ever paid attention to transfers that take place each year. There isn't a school around that there are some unhappy players who leave every single year. It isn't a reflections on the head coaches ability, it's what the player feels best for them. Maybe they can't play as good as the depth chart puts them, maybe it's personal reasons, but the bottom line, is that, EVERY School around has transfers everysingle year. Live with it folks, the coaches do.

• skywalker Palo Alto, CA
    Jan. 22, 2014 11:57 a.m.

ekute

Don't kid yourself - EVERY QB is subject to being injured on every play.

A pocket passer can be blind-sided or have a 300+ pound offensive lineman fall onto his knee just as easily as a running QB can be injured. If you'd paid any attention at all you'd know that Taysom has learned to slide far more often to avoid taking unnecessary hits.

If you're worried about BYU's backup to Hill, Billy Green certainly has the skill set, see profile:

• mussingaround Palo Alto, CA
    Jan. 22, 2014 11:58 a.m.

Billy Green: BYU QB

Two-time first-team AP All-State quarterback and Cascade Conference Offensive Most Valuable Player

Led King’s High School to an 11-1 season as a senior in 2012 and completed 196 of 304 passes for 2,997 yards and 46 touchdowns

Dual-threat signal caller also rushed 80 times for 432 yards and six scores

Passed for 2,397 yards and 40 touchdowns as a junior while adding four rushing touchdowns

2011 Football Universe Regional Top Gun MVP and National Underclassman Regional MVP

Also recruited by Notre Dame, Oregon State, UCLA, Utah, Washington and Washington State, among others

• Born in Provo Logan, UT
    Jan. 22, 2014 12:20 p.m.

@Uncle Rico:
    I'm sure Olsen is a good QB; I saw him carve up USU in Logan a few years ago. However, Hill will continue to improve as a passing QB. He has reached out to NFL QBs, so that is a good sign that he wants to do everything in his power to improve.

• oldtimeftballer Salt Lake City, UT
    Jan. 22, 2014 12:30 p.m.

re : Billy Green

easy to be a Regional MVP at Top Gun and Underclassman Camp. As far as being recruited by OSU, Notre Dame, etc. that doesn't matter as he wasn't even close to being offered by one of them. One offer BYU.

And his stats were good, but lets see them against 5A ball not 1A classification (not his fault you play where you live). But I wouldn't be bragging him up from what I have heard inside the football circles.

• steve84088 Orem, UT
    Jan. 22, 2014 12:50 p.m.

The Nun and Lonestar Runner, no the agreement is between Utah and whomever they can get to take their coaches. Gary leaves Utah to become HC at SUU for one year than returns to Utah. Then there's Arod who can't decide anything except to be OC #5

• GoRed WEST VALLEY CITY, UT
    Jan. 22, 2014 1:59 p.m.

@plyxply

Please explain how, in your personal end of season rankings, you can place both USU and BYU in front of Utah when Utah defeated both of these teams. Doesn't head-to-head matchups count?

Unbelievable.

• Steven S Jarvis Orem, UT
    Jan. 22, 2014 2:04 p.m.

Knocking 2014's schedule is foolish. Just look at how many winning programs, ones that went on to bowl games this last season are on that schedule. While Utah has an incredible schedule, they failed the last two years to be a winning program. I don't see Utah getting out of its hole in the near-future. BYU on the other hand can win and be successful. They play seven bowl teams during the season. How often did they do that during the WAC years? MWC? It RARELY happened back then. 2014 is probably in the top five all-time difficult schedules if things play out in a typical manner. They win they will be rewarded. They must win on the road in order to do that. Texas, UCF, and Boise State are going to be very difficult games that if BYU takes will get them recognition. USU at home if Chuckie is Chuckie is also a big game. Those four are the biggest games, but don't forget MTS. They are a trap game and so much better at home. 2014 is a fantastic schedule. Even the dogs (VA, UConn and NV) look to be better than they were this year.

• Objectified Tooele, UT
    Jan. 22, 2014 2:13 p.m.

@ oldtimeftballer and ekute:

Don't kid yourselves. It is NEVER easy to amass the combined stats and recognitions that Green has. To try to downplay being a 2-time AP All-State QB is ridiculous.

I don't dislike Utah. I have a nephew playing for them. But how many Ute quarterbacks, regardless of where or when they played, can come close to matching the stats and awards that Green has? And how many of them were recruited by Notre Dame along with 5 PAC12 teams (among others)? You don't catch that level of attention by just being so-so. Learn to give credit where credit is due... regardless of where the athlete decides to play.

I truly believe that after Green gets the appropriate amount of snaps in Spring and Fall camps (that he now will), BYU will be good hands if something should happen to Hill.

• Uteology East Salt Lake City, Utah
    Jan. 22, 2014 2:14 p.m.

@Cougsndawgs

Uteology:

------------

That's ONE, 20 more to go. The comment was "numerous" Heisman 2014 watch lists.

Also, AS listed 25 candidates and have him listed as a 2nd-tier candidate with just ahead of Navy's QB:

"With an easier schedule and increased passing efficiency, Hill could make some big noise in 2014."

Easier schedule? Check!
    Increased passing efficiency? TBD

Our QB's have been injury prone, regardless we can beat your team anytime.

• 54-10 Salt Lake City, UT
    Jan. 22, 2014 2:18 p.m.

mussingaround
    Palo Alto, CA

... sounds like a great one.

On paper (see Jake Heaps).

• The Rock Federal Way, WA
    Jan. 22, 2014 2:21 p.m.

It is really too bad that only one QB at a time gets the playing time they need to fully develop. We have all seen excellent QB's languish on the bench when they may have played at the next level if they had more playing time. James Lark comes to mind. He was clearly a better passer than Nelson, as demonstrated against the lack luster NW State.

If he had more playing time he might have been great.

Ammon Olsen may get that playing time at SUU. Cougar nation will miss him, but it is probably the right decision for him.

• There You Go Again Saint George, UT
    Jan. 22, 2014 2:33 p.m.

Hope Ammon has success at SUU.

Hope the players currently there make him compete...hard... for playing time...

It will only make Ammon better...as well as the rest of the team.

• Uteology East Salt Lake City, Utah
    Jan. 22, 2014 2:34 p.m.

Tators
    Hyrum, UT

------------

Really?

Hill's passing rating was great against mostly poor defenses (excluding Utah State) but teams with a pulse he struggled (excluding Virginia), regardless of when the game was played.

In 6 out of 13 games Hill's passing rating was bad.

Hills QB rating the last 5 games? 117
    Schluz QB rating the last 3 games, when he became the starter? 113

The difference, Schulz won't be playing next year if Kyle wants to keep his job.

• dww722 North Salt Lake, UT
    Jan. 22, 2014 3:01 p.m.

Sadly, this is a smart move for Ammon as Bronco, Anae and the rest of the coaching staff are completely clueless. They have now totally whiffed on Heaps and Nelson, bypassed Sorensen, Lark and now Olsen and Hill is by no means a sure thing and probably playing the wrong position despite his many talents...of which throwing the ball not being one of them. Go figure! So what do they do?? They change to an offensive system that they have zero experience with and don't have the personnel or the speed to run. And to top it all off, the team to the north has has put itself into prime position in the PAC12 while BYU languishes in the failure of independence, no opportunity for championships of any kind and crappy home schedules. It's a tough pill to swallow indeed.

• dww722 North Salt Lake, UT
    Jan. 22, 2014 3:15 p.m.

Cougar Blue

It's sad but BYU is no longer running an offense that favors a pocket passer like Mangum. It's a good possibility that he may end up transfering as well when he sees what Anae has done to the famed BYU passing offense. The only transfer I'd like to see is that of Bronco and Anae out of town. They're messing up BYU football

• Cougsndawgs West Point , UT
    Jan. 22, 2014 3:15 p.m.

Uteology:
    I would venture to say Utah's offensive line is better than BYUs, and I'd venture you would agree. Tell me you wouldn't want Taysom Hill's skill set behind that O-line...but maybe you're satisfied with your "top teir PAC12" wannabes taking snaps at the U like the last 3 years.

And apparently Washington doesn't have a pulse because Hill threw for 288 yards and rushed for another 143 against them. It's not his fault that Anae couldn't make the calls to get them more TDs. He's got plenty of talent and given good protection and more solidarity on the O-line I think he will prove that out. In the end we all know you wouldn't mind seeing him wearing red at RES.

• 54-10 Salt Lake City, UT
    Jan. 22, 2014 3:17 p.m.

plyxply
    SLC, UT

The year end rankings after considering all factors (excluding the HD truck, worldwide brand, legacy program, wet ball and rain excuses etc)

1. Utah
    2. Utah State
    3. BYU

Not even in the same league as the top 3:

4. SUU
    5. Snow
    6. Weber State
    7. Dixie

• #1 Champ Salt Lake City, UT
    Jan. 22, 2014 3:38 p.m.

SUU is all over the news!

• lefty200 kaysville, UT
    Jan. 22, 2014 3:54 p.m.

The bantering continues... I'm an Aggie, and what I've learned in athletics, is that as an athlete, you compete at the level of your opponent. If they are good, you raise your level of play. If they are average, you seem to perform at an average level... As a Aggie, we've played well when we've met the best.. played average when we played averaged teams. Looking at the Utes and Cougars... Utes play in the pac 12 with much better than average teams as opponents... the Cougars jump around from a good opponent to so many average teams, that you can't possible say they are a great talent. The bantering goes on with nothing but emotional bickering that has no merit. SUU may do very well with this new QB... they don't face, day in and day out, upper level programs.

• plyxply SLC, UT
    Jan. 22, 2014 4:00 p.m.

gored, Utah was the better team at the beginning of the year, USU and BYU passed them during the season and my speculation is that USU would've beaten Utah had they played in Dec. Utah losing to BYU is a bit of stretch, but the way Hill improved and Utah's qb situation worsened it seems a logical reach.

• RonBergundy SANDY, UT
    Jan. 22, 2014 4:27 p.m.

The Cougs backup situation is fine. Christian Stewart battled Ammon all season long for the back-up spot. If Taysom gets hurt, he will be able to step up. The kid has an arm!! (put up ridiculous #'s at Snow, programs probably thought he was too short, but they said the same thing about Bree's, Wilson). Taysoms accuracy will improve, but won't matter if the play calling doesn't.

• Tators Hyrum, UT
    Jan. 22, 2014 4:29 p.m.

@ GoRed:

The reason BYU and USU finished better in the rankings than Utah, in-spite of the fact that Utah beat the others in head-to-head competition, is the same reason Stanford finished ahead of Utah, even though Utah beat them.

Each team's entire season is considered more than just any single game... with an emphasis on the most recent games. Any team might win a battle against certain other teams, but still lose the season-long war, depending on how their other games went.

And that makes sense, since some teams progress quicker than others as the season progresses. Sometimes injuries to valuable players end up effecting outcomes. When any team either wins or loses in an upset, it has to compared against the rest of their games to have much relevancy, since any team can have an off-game.

@ Uteology:

Unless an obviously biased fan can statistically categorize other team's defenses with proof, simply saying someone played against "mostly poor defenses" is simply in the mind and perception of that biased context. Exactly what you did.

@ 54-10:

Your list simply demonstrates your extreme bias since no professional rankings agree.
    Comical.

• haunyocker Springville, UT
    Jan. 22, 2014 5:10 p.m.

I love kids who love to play and not ride the pine. Love Ammon and will be much more interested in following SUU. Personally, I think he would have been a much more traditional BYU quarterback, and I know that Gary Crowton is a coach that can bring out the best in Ammon. Best of luck.

• Uteology East Salt Lake City, Utah
    Jan. 22, 2014 5:18 p.m.

@Cougsndawgs

@Tators

You call out my lack of research then ask me to research defensive stats for you? How typical.

Defense Rankings According to NCAA (Hill's QB Rating)
    #12 Boise State (159)
    #14 Utah State (155)
    #43 Georgia Tech (158)
    #92 Middle Tennessee (141)
    #115 Houston (161)

As I said "most".

• Protecting This House Salt Lake City, UT
    Jan. 22, 2014 5:28 p.m.

@objectified:

Comparing byu's weak 2014 football schedule, with the Utes' basketball weak pre-conference schedule? A ridiculous apples-to-oranges comparison attempt.

Too bad that scheduling years in advance, didn't matter when uconn, virginia, nevada, middle tennessee, unlv, and savannah state were scheduled. byu didn't know Cal would also pose no threat. houston plays well against inferior opponents (similar to byu). ucf looked good in their bowl game, but with their qb headed to the nfl, who knows? boise's not a state will be a completely different team without Peterson at the helm. If Chuckie is healthy, then Utah State and texas might prove to be the only tough games for 2014 cougar football.

It is comical trying to combine idaho st and suu, even though the Utes aren't scheduled to beat suu until 2016, same year as my Utes will go 5-0. Definite cherry picking on your part. idaho st is the lone cream puff for the 2014 Utes, as opposed to 6 plus cupcakes on byu's schedule. Not even remotely comparable. That's not the pot calling the kettle black, that is reality.

• Uteology East Salt Lake City, Utah
    Jan. 22, 2014 5:32 p.m.

@Tators

Sorry, I forgot his best passing game rating at the end of the season, without which Hill's rating would be below Schulz:

#95 Nevada (160)

He had 98 total passing yards in that game, 5 yards per attempt, even Heaps would look like a Heisman QB.

• TheSportsAuthority Arlington, VA
    Jan. 22, 2014 7:04 p.m.

dww722

BYU runs an offense that plays to the skill sets of its players. When Mangum returns, Anae will simply return to what he ran when John Beck was BYU's QB.

BYU's offense has always been a reflection of its starting QB.

Shiede (scrambler) wasn't the same as Nielson (pocket)

Young (scrambler) wasn't the same as Bosco (pocket).

Walsh (pocket) wasn't the same as Doman (scrambler).

Beck (pocket) wasn't the same as Hill (scrambler).

Good coaches adjust to take advantage to the strengths of their personnel.

The reason the Heaps/Nelson experiment didn't work is BYU was trying to run two completely different types of offense in the same season.

• TheSportsAuthority Arlington, VA
    Jan. 22, 2014 7:25 p.m.

plyxply

Sorry to burst you crimson bubble, but a team that wasn't even good enough to qualify for a bowl, doesn't deserve a top rating:

Utah finished a distant 2nd to BYU in the final BCS standings:

#40 BYU
    #54 Utah

And in almost all national rankings, including Sagarin's PURE_ELO ranking, which was used in the bcs ranking formula that Utah fans have always claimed was the end-all-be-all of final season rankings:

CBS Sports

Utah 39

Wolfe
    BYU 36
    Utah 52

• Thinkman Provo, UT
    Jan. 22, 2014 11:00 p.m.

SUU is picking up a good QB and Taysom will have an even better year. He is the type of QB of the future - one that is multi-dimensional. More than anything though he needs protection from what has been a week O-line at BYU for the past few years.

Face it Utes, BYU runs this state and will for a very long time. The comments on Ute articles in the DNews or SLtrib by BYU fans is about 1:10 compared to the BYU articles on either the DNews or SLtrib.

• LoveTheKittens Central, UT
    Jan. 23, 2014 7:56 a.m.

@Protectthishouse

Really? savannah state was scheduled two months ago! Another great Sr night the first of November.

• PAC man Anaheim, CA
    Jan. 23, 2014 9:14 a.m.

LTK

Savannah State in 2014 is simply BYU's "money game" equivalent of Utah scheduling Idaho State, Weber State, Northern Colorado, and Montana State the last four seasons.

At least BYU's seniors won't have to worry about losing their last game at home to a pathetic 3-10 team like Utah's seniors did in 2011.

• BeSmart Cheyenne, WY
    Jan. 23, 2014 11:31 a.m.

@ Uteology
    @ Utah Hill would be a safety?
    I doubt that, Hill was recruited to be a qb by the same coach who recruited Andrew Luck.
    Look at the Elite 11 competition a low percentage ever make it to the NFL ~ 25% make it.
    a much smaller percentage start in the NFL.
    Jake Heaps is one of 2 Elite 11 qbs from 2009 that has an award 2010 new mexico bowl MVP.
    The elite 11 really doesn't mean much.

• DodgerDoug Salem, UT
    Jan. 23, 2014 12:54 p.m.

Best of luck Ammon!!!!!!

• Cougarista Salt Lake City, UT
    Jan. 23, 2014 12:55 p.m.

Best wishes at SUU. Kids want to play and backing up Taysom Hill is not the sure way to do it. Only one person can be first on the depth charts. On the other hand, college football is replete with back ups becoming starters as the result of an injury.

• Spokane Ute Spokane, WA
    Jan. 23, 2014 12:56 p.m.

@ Thesportsauthority

You failed to reference the only rating that mattered to BYU fans, the saragin rankings, prior to this year. Utah #33, BYU #34. You lost on the field and in the rankings. Utah was better when they played and at the end of the season.

• Spokane Ute Spokane, WA
    Jan. 23, 2014 1:01 p.m.

My mistake, wron year. This year

Sagarin Rankings:
    Utah #34
    BYU #35

• Uteanymous Salt Lake City, Utah
    Jan. 23, 2014 1:05 p.m.

Uteology

"I'll take the healthy, Elite 11, Wilson over Hill."

Tanner Mangum and Jameis Winston were co-MVPs of the 2011 Elite 11 camp.

Travis Wilson didn't even make the cut to the final Elite 11.

Gotta love the spin though. Thanks for playing.

• Stang08 Southern, UT
    Jan. 23, 2014 2:17 p.m.

@Lefty200

You don't call the number 1 team at our level an "upper level program"?

• Marked it Down Park City, UT
    Jan. 23, 2014 3:11 p.m.

Spokane Ute

Read more carefully; TheSportsAuthority did reference the Sagarin rankings.

On closer examination of the overall season, most fans would take a

#35 BYU(8-5), winning bowl season

over a minuscule place higher finish

#34 Utah(5-7), losing bowl-less season

• Wookie Omaha, NE
    Jan. 23, 2014 3:24 p.m.

I've said from day one of the Anae decision. He will not develop QBs into NFL caliber players. I think that Olsen saw this along with the depth chart and realized he needed to take his talents elsewhere.

• Spokane Ute Spokane, WA
    Jan. 24, 2014 10:42 a.m.

The sagarin rankings and scoreboard don't lie. Mark that down!

• oaklandaforlife SLC, UT
    Jan. 24, 2014 10:54 a.m.

Ammon made the right choice and SUU is getting one heck of quarterback. He will do well in Cedar City. But seriously, Hill could throw with his left hand and run on one leg and still win at least 10 games next year with the very, very soft schedule that BYU has for the 2014 season. Anything less than 10 wins would be a major disappointment for sure.

• Cougsndawgs West Point , UT
    Jan. 24, 2014 7:46 p.m.

Uteology:
    "I'll take the healthy, Elite 11, Wilson over Hill. At Utah Hill would be a safety."

Well you just demonstrated why Utah will never have a top tier QB and never compete offensively in the PAC12. It would be typical for Utah to waste that kind of arm strength and ability to create and extend plays on filling the safety position. Steve Young would have been a safety at Utah too because he was fast and athletic and was actually a worse passer at the same point as Hill in his collegiate career...ya good call.

Btw Wilson didn't make the elite 11 cut...but don't let facts get in your way, this is your parade and who am I to rain on it.

• Uteology East Salt Lake City, Utah
    Jan. 25, 2014 12:26 p.m.

@Cougsndawgs
    @Uteanymous

The question that was asked was would you choose Hill as a QB? The answer is not over Wilson.

Wilson was an Elite 11 QB, Hill was not.

Hill could be the next Steve Young, but as of today he's Riley Nelson 2.0.

• Cougsndawgs West Point , UT
    Jan. 27, 2014 9:51 a.m.

Uteology:
    Riley Nelson 2.0? Ok, now I know you're just blowing smoke. RN never approached 700 yards rushing let alone 1350. RN had a weak arm and couldn't make all the throws and didn't put up as good passing numbers as Hill. To even make that comparison is ridiculous and shows that either you didn't really watch Hill or Nelson or that you're just trying to be antagonistic.