Southern Utah hires former BYU head coach Gary Crowton to join football coaching staff

Comments

• 2013 Ute Seniors SWEEP byU 4-0 Ogden, UT
    Jan. 19, 2014 6:37 p.m.

Love that picture of Crowton!

• SamoanYfan WEST JORDAN, UT
    Jan. 19, 2014 6:42 p.m.

Really? This is where he ends up? Not even the Head Coach? Wow

• Zorro Bakersfield, CA
    Jan. 19, 2014 10:08 p.m.

Pretty sad. Thats a long way from 12-2 and Luke Staley!

• Zoniezoobie Mesa, AZ
    Jan. 19, 2014 10:45 p.m.

Great for Gary joining SUU and the Big Sky Conference of the FCS division where championships are decided on the field by 24 playoff teams, unlike the opinion-driven 4-team playoff the FBS will have in 2014.

• eagle Provo, UT
    Jan. 19, 2014 10:50 p.m.

Let's hope that Steve Clark continues to call the offense. He knows what he's doing...

• eagle Provo, UT
    Jan. 19, 2014 10:52 p.m.

Never mind...saw that Steve Clark is at Weber State. Good for him and good for Weber State...

• ImaUteFan West Jordan, UT
    Jan. 19, 2014 10:59 p.m.

Oh, that is just sad.

• truth in all its forms henderson, NV
    Jan. 19, 2014 11:02 p.m.

Started from the bottom Now he is here.

• christoph Brigham City, UT
    Jan. 20, 2014 2:17 a.m.

Won title with LSU, probably best coach in Y's history. Welcome back to the state! Admire your career and having coached from coast to coast.

• bradleyc Layton, UT
    Jan. 20, 2014 6:04 a.m.

I wish Gary and his family all the best. Good people.

• NeilT Clearfield, UT
    Jan. 20, 2014 7:24 a.m.

Was OC at LSU when LSU won a national championship. Maybe after a successful season at SUU he can replace Norm Chow at Hawaii. Seriously I suspect he will do an excellent job at SUU.

• Fibonacci Centerville, UT
    Jan. 20, 2014 8:05 a.m.

There are days when I don't like my chosen career field, butI think a coaching career would be so much more difficult with all the moves, short term contracts and all the unknowns. So often it's about the wins and losses and you don't have direct control over the missed throws, dropped passes, missed tackles, poor officiating, or the conduct of nineteen or twenty year old kid when he's off the field. But at the end of the day its about doing what you know and trying to provide for your family. I wish Gary Crowton and his family success. I think they will love being back in Utah and living in the Cedar City community. Great Community to raise a family.

• BU52 Provo, ut
    Jan. 20, 2014 8:25 a.m.

The circle of life, go get em Gary

• yuvgot2bkidding Salt Lake, Utah
    Jan. 20, 2014 8:33 a.m.

What a great role model. Has experienced the highs of coaching and doesn't let his pride or ego get in the way of working with a less well known football program. As Jimmy V said, 'Don't give up. Don't ever give up.'

• USAlover Salt Lake City, UT
    Jan. 20, 2014 8:58 a.m.

LSU won a National Championship with Crowton as the OC. Now this...

Never let your kids go into coaching.

• Allen Salt Lake valley, UT
    Jan. 20, 2014 9:31 a.m.

I hope Crowton does well. I was raised in Cedar City and lived just 1 block from the college campus. My ggf was on the building committee for the first building at the college. Cedar is much larger now but is (hopefully) a great place to live. I don't follow sports much, and I hope all Utah teams do well.

• Tilka PORTLAND, OR
    Jan. 20, 2014 9:43 a.m.

Wow, how discouraging for Crowton. I can't imagine SUU has much more than about $50k to pay an assistant coach.

• Vegas POV Las Vegas, NV
    Jan. 20, 2014 9:46 a.m.

Since his hiring at BYU, I have looked back on and then watched Mr. Crowton's coaching career. Mr. Crowton's pattern has been win big the first year, win less the second and by the third year the teams have figured out how to beat his offense. The movement has reason, though I wish him well.

• Robroy Murray, utah
    Jan. 20, 2014 10:32 a.m.

I think this is a nice move in preparation for the ute OC job next year.

• eagle Provo, UT
    Jan. 20, 2014 10:33 a.m.

I'll say this. He's replacing a genius in Steve Clark. Watch Weber State's offense take off. Crowton would do well to maintain what has gone in recent years at SUU.

• Kings Court Alpine, UT
    Jan. 20, 2014 10:43 a.m.

He's really moved up in the world.

• Sambonethegreat Salt Lake City, UT
    Jan. 20, 2014 10:50 a.m.

Well, this should be interesting. Maybe Crowton will replace Ed Lamb next year if the team does well.

• Wayne Rout El Paso, TX
    Jan. 20, 2014 11:32 a.m.

I wish him well. I hope that he is able to stick there and will do well.

• Obama10 SYRACUSE, UT
    Jan. 20, 2014 11:39 a.m.

As a BYU fan, I hope the best for Gary Crowton. Coaching is such a fickle business. Most of us would never last a day under the intense pressure and criticism of college coaching.

• Tenn12 Orem, UT
    Jan. 20, 2014 12:22 p.m.

Agreed with Eagle, the man Crowton is replacing has a very good offensive mind. Crowton has big shoes to fill.

• BlueHusky Mission Viejo, CA
    Jan. 20, 2014 12:41 p.m.

I hope Gary Crowton breaks the pattern. He's creative, but loves the gimmick play too much. But his first year at BYU sure was fun, until Staley broke his leg, that is. I went to the Cal game and what a game! Put a nail in Holmoe's coffin at Cal, and that was good for BYU.

Advice from an old timer: Get the fundamentals right, Coach. Save the tricks for when you really need them.

Best of luck to coach Crowton.

• gharmons Helendale, CA
    Jan. 20, 2014 12:55 p.m.

Though I was happy to see him leave BYU, I have followed his career since and wish him well at SUU. I hope he can stay there for many years to come.

• Samwise Salt Lake City, UT
    Jan. 20, 2014 3:17 p.m.

Good for SUU. I actually think Crowton is not a bad OC, although I would never want him as the HC of a team I cheer for every again (no offense to him intended, but as good as 2001 was as a BYU fan, it is hard to get over 2002, 2003, and 2004). He seems like a really good guy, I think he will do well at SUU and truly hope that I am correct.

• runnerguy50 Virginia Beach, Va
    Jan. 20, 2014 4:20 p.m.

Gary got a raw deal at Maryland. Wish him the best.

• Dahojas Spanish Fork, UT
    Jan. 20, 2014 6:40 p.m.

One of the best families I've known. Wish him success.

• kaysvillecougar KAYSVILLE, UT
    Jan. 20, 2014 7:08 p.m.

Best of Luck to Gary and his family. He's a good guy and an accomplished coach. People obviously bring up to negative to his years in Provo, but his first year was amazing. That was one of the most fun offenses I have ever watched play. Luke Staley for 8-10 yards every play. The O-line was a beast.

• BigCougar Bountiful, UT
    Jan. 20, 2014 7:59 p.m.

Welcome home Gary (almost). Good luck at SUU, hope you see success. You never know, if Kyle survives this next losing season and follows his current trend of firing his OC at the end of the season, he may just give you a shot (after all, is there anyone left Whitt hasn't hired and fired as OC?!).

• Hegdehog Bountiful, UT
    Jan. 20, 2014 8:01 p.m.

@Robroy
    "I think this is a nice move in preparation for the ute OC job next year."

Good call.

"Mark it down!"

• 54-10 Salt Lake City, UT
    Jan. 20, 2014 9:09 p.m.

That BYU Head Coach line on his resume is really paying off.

• Jealous U Alpine, UT
    Jan. 20, 2014 10:44 p.m.

54-IQ

Just like being a OC at Utah - only Kyle just keeps them on staff instead of firing them.

If Kyle survives a couple more years, the U could have water boys who used to be OCs.

• KimmyP Granstville, UT
    Jan. 21, 2014 9:20 a.m.

Actually, there is an agreement between SUU and byu, since their schedules are similar, the OC who wins the most games will end up at BYU, and the "loser" ends up at SUU for more experience at that level.

It's kinda like the D-League , get more experience, prove yourself and wait for the "call up".

• Uteanymous Salt Lake City, Utah
    Jan. 21, 2014 12:59 p.m.

KimmyP

Actually, the agreement is between the U and Wyo. The two schools have agreed to slowly exchange staffs in order to maintain continuity.

• Stang08 Southern, UT
    Jan. 21, 2014 1:44 p.m.

Whoever this man is I hope he does well for us. Just a little fact for everyone here. Ed Lamb is with us through 2020. The only way he will leave between now and then is if we have an undefeated season and a national championship. While we are well on our way to at least one of those it most likely won't happen next year. Lamb is here to stay for a long time. But a lot of the fan's here wouldn't know that since I'm the true SUU fan here.

• souptwins Lindon, UT
    Jan. 21, 2014 4:37 p.m.

Looks like Crowton will have a great QB to work with since Ben Olsen is transferring back to SUU from BYU. Ben wants more playing time and didn't see that happening with being in the same class as Taysom-- can't say I blame him. Good luck to both of them!

• Stang08 Southern, UT
    Jan. 21, 2014 7:54 p.m.

That would be Ammon Olsen souptwins.

• Lightening Lad Austin , TX
    Jan. 23, 2014 8:20 p.m.

I'm truly shocked. If you thought Dennis Erickson took a mighty fall, look at Gary, from head coach at BYU, running the offense at LA Tech, Chicago Bears, Maryland and LSU; he has dropped to a small rural FCS school. I can't believe that there wasn't an offensive coordinator spot open at a decent FBS school. I like the guy, he had a great run at LSU. I hope he gets another chance in the NFL or at a top 25 type school. Nothing against SUU, but really folks, Cedar City is not Chicago, Provo, or even Ruston.