Utah

8 Utahns among candidates for 'incredible adventure' to Mars

Comments

• NGA Provo, UT
    Jan. 12, 2014 7:28 p.m.

Huh? You want to leave your wife and kids to go live forever with a few strangers in a two bedroom apartment?! Why? So you can go down in history as one of the few people who was foolish enough to attempt to colonize a planet outside the habitable zone?! This makes zero sense to me!!

• Big C Murray, UT
    Jan. 12, 2014 11:12 p.m.

"I hope my children will understand." If I were that guy's wife I would pack up my children and leave HIM before he abandoned us. A simple note left on the kitchen table for him to find, "Honey, I hope you understand."

• cjb Bountiful, UT
    Jan. 13, 2014 12:32 a.m.

To leave a wife and kids behind so .. you can make your mark in history .. is selfish.

• E Sam Provo, UT
    Jan. 13, 2014 2:12 a.m.

Man, when I think of all the other Utahns I would rather send on a one way ticket to Mars. . . .

• Reflectere Utah, UT
    Jan. 13, 2014 5:38 a.m.

Sounds to me like some serious psycho-evals need to be made before even considering letting these people step into a spacecraft.

• laurenruthie Salt Lake City, UT
    Jan. 13, 2014 6:12 a.m.

Why does Mark Sullivan make me feel like I'm reading an article off of the Onion?

'leaving behind a wife and four young kids is a challenge Sullivan says he is willing to accept...
    “I think most people think I’m crazy,” Sullivan said. “My wife is probably one of those."
    ... he’ll be able to correspond with his family through email and videoconferencing as his kids grow up ...I hope that my children will understand, and I told them to come up to Mars with me when they get older.”

Your wife would be crazy to not think you're crazy.

• NedGrimley Brigham City, UT
    Jan. 13, 2014 7:06 a.m.

NGC: Apparently you don't have purple hair... ;)

• desert Potsdam, 00
    Jan. 13, 2014 7:08 a.m.

Moroni had a nice trip of comfort, when he came here to visit.
    I doubt the Mars is a good place to preach anything or to help people in need.

Science has prove that it is a planet, good enough.
    I hope they will change their minds, the photo shopping shows deep cold space attitude already.

• JP Chandler, AZ
    Jan. 13, 2014 7:21 a.m.

"If we had 100,000 people give $1, it would be a tremendous help."
    That's $100,000. A nice sum if you're making a down payment on a house, but a drop in the bucket of the estimated $6 billion needed for the mission.

Oh yeah, and the guy's nuts for wanting to leave his wife and kids.

• manuretruck St. George, UT
    Jan. 13, 2014 7:22 a.m.

This is a scam. Through and through. Nothing will happen. I have done careful research into "Mars One", and so far all they have done is commissioned a feasibility study by a third-party corporation that has no personal stake in the venture (all experts agree that the current feasibility of a manned Mars mission within the next 10 years is practically zero and expect the report to reflect such).

Their entire staff list on their website is nothing but marketing and PR experts and designers. There is only one person who can even remotely be called a scientist attached to this and even they aren't taken seriously by the wider space exploration community. "Mars One" is a laughing-stock at NASA and SpaceX, and so are the people that are falling for it. DO NOT BE FOOLED. I feel bad for the people they are hoodwinking. The most that will ever come out of this is a reality TV show about "training" these people, making them live and train together etcetera, for the "mission"... a mission that will never happen, especially once this marketing corporation and its managers have made their hundreds of millions off the show.

• higv Dietrich, ID
    Jan. 13, 2014 7:32 a.m.

video conferencing will be difficult as it will take a few minutes to communicate back and forth

• Poppa Alan Fruit Heights, UT
    Jan. 13, 2014 8:09 a.m.

Mars ain't the kind of place to raise your kids....

• Eliot Genola, UT
    Jan. 13, 2014 8:13 a.m.

Just read the article. No need for careful research.

• Brave Sir Robin San Diego, CA
    Jan. 13, 2014 8:27 a.m.

So this is what the fringe of society looks like...

• DEW Cougars Sandy, UT
    Jan. 13, 2014 9:16 a.m.

Sorry Mr Sullivan and I think your family should lock you out of the house. Leaving behind his family? Better buy hefty life insurance for you family.

Kitty Kane, you are a UTES if that is where you want to go on a RED Planet.

And one last questino, are you guys getting paid to be tested? But I understood this is a non profit orginization right?

I don't know, this is CRAZY!

• Samwise Salt Lake City, UT
    Jan. 13, 2014 9:17 a.m.

Wow that is strange. Why on earth would anyone volunteer for this? Especially someone with a wife and kids? Go to Mars and never come back? Also I agree with those that say this is likely not going to actually happen. Even if it does, I wouldn't be surprised if the people chosen die long before they were expecting (ie before they even get to Mars). But apparently to them it is "all worth it" because they get to make history.

• JBQ Saint Louis, MO
    Jan. 13, 2014 9:49 a.m.

As a science teacher, current technology does not support the venture. At present, humans could not even survive the 6-9 month trip. The idea behind a flying saucer is to spin and create gravity. That technology could actually work. What is going on now, would not. Therefore, this company looks like some type of Ponzi scheme.

• Joan Watson TWIN FALLS, ID
    Jan. 13, 2014 9:58 a.m.

Good Greif - is the blue planet earth visible to red planet Mars as it is to the moon? Even if life could be kept alive on Mars with all the life sustaining apparatus it would take, with clothing to provide warmth and wind protection, not to mention what food could possibly be grown and water found to sustain life - it would not be long before a dad who left his wife and children for a one way trip to Mars would rue the day.

• washcomom Beaverton, OR
    Jan. 13, 2014 10:00 a.m.

I'm just wondering about the hormone factor. Being in that tight of a space with 4 people can only garner trouble. Anger, fidelity, and other emotions will creep in. Since Mars is not going to be already set with a habitable living environment, eventually people will get on other people's nerves.
    Personally - this is the most ridiculous idea yet.

• PookyBear84010 KAYSVILLE, UT
    Jan. 13, 2014 10:02 a.m.

Apparently, the spirit of P.T. Barnum lives on.

• Brent T. Aurora CO Aurora, CO
    Jan. 13, 2014 10:17 a.m.

Given the comments so far, I'm clearly in the minority in finding this fascinating. 2024 (ten years from now) does seem soon unless you consider Kennedy's declaration and fulfillment in less than that time (obviously the moon is closer). So before actually sinking money into this, one would be prudent to avoid a scam. But as to volunteers, be they single or from families, a little bit of understanding is in order. They would be pioneers, it is a noble cause, and compares well to -- leaving for war, witness protection, a posting Antarctica, the spirit of the original sailors, immigrants and pioneers, space station residents and, in a real way, the astronauts. An arguable difference would be the "chance" to see these people again -- but some of the people just listed had no expectation of this or long odds. At some point, someone is going to do this. Why not now; or planning now?

• Happyinlife PROVO, UT
    Jan. 13, 2014 10:26 a.m.

"...I can’t understand why they wouldn’t want to go."

HAHAHA-- Tell me what you think after a couple of days on Mars (assuming you are even chosen and make it to the planet) and then you should have a better understanding.

I for one enjoy spending time with my family (especially my husband) and wouldn't want to leave them for anything--especially to go to Mars! Might as well put me in a prison cell. I also enjoy lovely scenery (flowers, trees, oceans, etc.), eating new foods from different countries, associating with lost's of different people... the list goes on and on.

The reasons not to go to Mars definitely outweigh the reasons anyone would want to go by about a trillion to one.

• Texas Ken Killeen, TX
    Jan. 13, 2014 10:38 a.m.

I agree with cjb and others! People's motives seem to be selfish.
    I'm not sure why Mormon pioneer legacy has anything to do with Utahns having any edge. Just because our ancestors left a familiar home to unfamiliar hostile land, without possibility of return, does not mean we have a clue what it is like. Today, there are Utahns whose ancestors were not Mormon Pioneers. Also, there are many descendants of Mormon pioneers who are not Utahns today. Also, most of the western U.S. were settled by brave adventurous men and women who left comfortable homes to settle a foreign hostile land without possibility of returning. That legacy is not unique to Latter-Day Saints.

• Gildas LOGAN, UT
    Jan. 13, 2014 11:06 a.m.

I have no doubt that people can manage to land on Mars and even survive for a while, perhaps even a long while.Of the planets in our solar system Mars comes closest to being habitable by mortal men although not without serious changes taking place that would practically be impossible without a lot of artificial contrivance to enable plant growth etc.

The time will come soon enough that colonization of other planets will occur for godly purposes and with the supervision of gods, who will know what to do. I must agree that, at present, it seems out of the reach of mortal mankind, unaided.

• oaklandaforlife SLC, UT
    Jan. 13, 2014 11:23 a.m.

Sounds like a nice trip for Cruz and Lee. Perhaps on another planet people would listen to them.

• Tuffy Parker Salem, UT
    Jan. 13, 2014 11:34 a.m.

I think the physics student from Westminster may want to consider adding a math class to his schedule...

100,000 people contributing $1 each will still leave the funding goal short by $5,999,900,000

If EVERY single person on the planet contributed $1, it would still not be enough to cover much more than the estimated cost of the first journey.

• iron&clay RIVERTON, UT
    Jan. 13, 2014 11:45 a.m.

Does this show that the eight 'candidates' are lacking in mental clarity on the LDS teachings about the eternal destiny of the earth?
    The earth will become celestialized when it becomes the abode for resurrected humans who receive celestial glory.

Further teachings, in astronomical terms... The earth will be brought back into the center of the milky way galaxy where it joins a cluster of millions of other celestialized planets radiating light and glory next to the governing planet of Kolob.

Right, I know this is too much information.

Maybe they need to meet with the missionaries first and then follow the step by step process beginning with reading The Book of Mormon then entering the gate of baptism, then on to the Temple and endure on to inherit a glorified earth in an exalted condition with their families.

Sounds less hazardous and a whole lot more joyous than a one way ticket to Mars.

• SillyRabbit Layton, 00
    Jan. 13, 2014 12:41 p.m.

I can see the reasons people disagree with the actual intent of Mars One. I would not pledge money as yet.

But, can you imagine living on Mars? Can you imagine the politics that will erupt once the settlements there decide they don't want to be beholden to the governments of Earth?

That is the spectacle I'm waiting for, but will probably miss unless life expectancy skyrockets in the next 40 years.

• airnaut Everett, 00
    Jan. 13, 2014 12:51 p.m.

If this is the out-come of the down select,
    I have ZERO confidence in the rest of this mission to Mars.

========

• NightOwlAmerica SALEM, OR
    Jan. 13, 2014 1:51 p.m.

Won't be long until Walmart and McDonalds establish colonies of preconditioned customers on Mars! Get there before Mars One and they are guaranteed to get all the business.

Build a 10 mile high golden arches on the red planet. What a monument to mankind. :)

• Mlw TACOMA, WA
    Jan. 13, 2014 4:11 p.m.

So, what would happen if the company that funds them goes bankrupt after they land on Mars?

• desert Potsdam, 00
    Jan. 13, 2014 7:01 p.m.

To avoid any china copy, let me just say to (ironclay RIVERTON, UT) you made my day.
    Thanks a lot.

• Happy Valley Heretic Orem, UT
    Jan. 14, 2014 8:41 a.m.

So is this what anti-gay marriage advocates call a "traditional marriage" that is so much more sacred?