BYU basketball: Tyler Haws scores 35, helps lead BYU to win over Pepperdine

Comments

• Chris B Salt Lake City, UT
    Jan. 9, 2014 8:47 p.m.

Good game between 2 evenly matched teams. The last time these two teams played last week it was very lopsided, in favor of Pepperdine.

But tonight, byu has brought their A game and may just pull off this upset.

• Vladhagen Salt Lake City, UT
    Jan. 9, 2014 9:26 p.m.

Always good to see CB come out and support BYU. I think he is our most ardent supporter. Like a kid with a scab, he just cannot leave us alone.

• NevadaCoug Overton, NV
    Jan. 9, 2014 9:54 p.m.

Huh. Starting "point guard" leads the team with rebounds? Probably not always a good thing to see, but at least they got the win.

• Lifelong Republican Orem, UT
    Jan. 9, 2014 10:51 p.m.

Funny that Chris B has the same initials that people use for the Cougar Board website. Maybe that can explain why he is the first to post after every BYU article.

Solid Win even without Mika. WCC is once again looking like a solid league. Wouldn't be surprised to see 3 bids to the big dance.

Nice to get a solid win instead of a "we're heading in the right direction. Almost there. Give it one more year." like I keep hearing from up north.

• Chris B Salt Lake City, UT
    Jan. 9, 2014 11:21 p.m.

Lifelong,

Espn bracketology is predicting two wcc teams will go dancing, 5 PAC 12 teams.

Wcc looking like a solid league?

Byu's first 7 league games dont include a single top 100 rpi opponent.

What a solid league!

• Uteology East Salt Lake City, Utah
    Jan. 9, 2014 11:23 p.m.

@Lifelong Republican

---------

Not true, you never heard "Give it one more year" against teams like St. Katherine and BYU.

Gonzga just lost to Portland. WCC will be lucky to get ONE team in the dance.

• cal cougar camarillo, CA
    Jan. 10, 2014 12:20 a.m.

I am impressed at the way BYU played today. By the way, I am also impressed with the composure of Pepperdine. This is their best team in a long time. Good day in Portland, men and women's team both beat ranked teams. Some shocking losses for Gonzaga and SMC. I thought BYU was out of the picture, but are now back in the picture.

I continue to be impressed with Kyle. He could be the total package if he improves his outside shooting and the free throws. If he did that, he might get the NBA looking for a 6 feet 6 inch point guard at some point.

Haws was impeccable as usual. Nate Austin has really impressed me this year. He still needs to start shooting that midrange shot. Halford is the tipping point on this team between being winners or losers. Carlino can do that as well "when" he is in the zone.

Can't wait for Saturdays game. I expect a very close game. Keep up the good work Cougars!!!

• Cinci Man FT MITCHELL, KY
    Jan. 10, 2014 5:44 a.m.

I'm glad for the win, but BYU still seems to be a bit disjointed on the guard line. And the game of the big men really suffered without Mika. At full strength by both teams, BYU may have come up on the short end again. But if they can truly find their game, they may be able to be an even better team. Free throws are still killing them. Is this ever going to change this year? And what is with Winder? He seemed lost tonight. I was impressed with Carlino tonight. I get the sense that he realizes that he needs to be in control of himself if he wants to be on the floor. He did not hurt the team. He was not as aggressive, but as a result, he did not damage the team play. Keep working hard Cougars. I still doubt their chances of the big dance, but they should do well in the NIT if they improve.

• QualityControl Sandy, UT
    Jan. 10, 2014 6:41 a.m.

This is an absolutely huge win for the program--one of the biggest & best in recent memory. The WCC is very deep and on any given night, any team in the league can beat any other team.

An even bigger game is coming up next against Loyola.

• thebigsamoan Richmond, VA
    Jan. 10, 2014 7:21 a.m.

Great win for the Cougs, but boy it was nerve wrecking to watch how much they struggled to pull away from those pesky Waves. Glad they finally did towards the end when Haws came alive with those big 3s in the last few minutes. And did you see where both the Ducks and the Zags bit the dust last night courtesy of Cal and Portland? And UCLA almost upset Arizona! No team can rest on their laurels anymore. Anyone team can get beaten at any time no matter how high they rank.

Go Cougars! Go Utes! Go Aggies!

• Truth Machine Salt Lake City, UT
    Jan. 10, 2014 7:36 a.m.

Chris B

"ESPN bracketology is predicting two WCC teams will go dancing, 5 PAC 12 teams."

LOL at your biased and inaccurate spin.

The latest ESPN bracketology predicts

FOUR PAC 12 teams (Arizona, UCLA, Oregon and Colorado)
    TWO WCC teams (Gonzaga and Saint Mary's),

but BYU and California are listed in the First Four Out (obviously, still in the mix), while Utah is not even included in the discussion.

Latest RPI
    #37 BYU
    #150 Utah

Latest Sagarin
    #46 BYU
    #71 Utah

Slap another PAC 12 sticker on something and enjoy your continued irrelevance in the real world.

• CougarSunDevil Phoenix, AZ
    Jan. 10, 2014 7:41 a.m.

Utah fans beating their chests again for the PAC 12, but not for their team. All the projections I see from everyone excludes Utah from consideration. At least BYU is in the discussion. I know, ASU isn't in the discussion either, but I'm not mocking other leagues about their "lack" of league play either. Live and let live. Respect and get respect. Some Utah fans need to learn this.

• LonestarRunner Salt Lake City, UT
    Jan. 10, 2014 7:43 a.m.

Uteology

"WCC will be lucky to get ONE team in the dance."

Time to break out of that crimson bubble you live in and enter the real world.

ESPN bracketology is predicting TWO WCC teams and four PAC teams in the Big Dance, with BYU and California listed in the First Four Out category, in other words, the Cougars are still very much in the mix for an NCAA berth.

Meanwhile, the Utes aren't even an after-thought in the Big Dance discussion.

• CougarSunDevil Phoenix, AZ
    Jan. 10, 2014 7:43 a.m.

Chris B

"Espn bracketology is predicting two wcc teams will go dancing, 5 PAC 12 teams."

The PAC is predicted by ESPN to have 4 teams, not 5. Boasting about two more seeds to the dance isn't that noteworthy.

• BeSmart Cheyenne, WY
    Jan. 10, 2014 7:48 a.m.

CB
    BYU played terrible until the last few minutes.
    Bracketology has 4 Pac-12 teams in. Same as the MWC. Please quote correctly.

• relientk Saratoga Springs, UT
    Jan. 10, 2014 8:58 a.m.

People really need to stop saying "Go Cougars! Go Utes! Go Aggies!" in their posts. Seriously, just stop. Chose a side and stay there.

• Cougar Blue 1 Henderson , NV
    Jan. 10, 2014 9:09 a.m.

Thanks Chris B for your insightful comments. Congrats on your last two victories against St. Katherine and Oregon St. You should be able to take care of Arizona. Your brutal schedule will have prepared you.

• Ken Sandy, UT
    Jan. 10, 2014 9:12 a.m.

besmarter, "Same as the MWC" Who said anything about the MWC? byu is in the WCC, remember?

• worf Mcallen, TX
    Jan. 10, 2014 9:15 a.m.

With out a doubt--Haws is the top player in Utah. Period!

• Tilka PORTLAND, OR
    Jan. 10, 2014 9:31 a.m.

Is Pepperdine that good? It seems pretty odd that BYU was in a close game with them (closer than the final score would indicate) and that with two of Pepperdine's stars not playing.

• ideasnstuff Orem, UT
    Jan. 10, 2014 9:38 a.m.

Fellow BYU fans: let's hold off on post-season predictions until after the upcoming 4-game road series, each game a tough one and likely loss. 0-4 or 1-3 over that stretch and the Cougars are looking at a low-level postseason tournament. Bursts of brilliance last night, but we are talking about a crippled Pepperdine team in the Marriott Center.

• ekute Layton, UT
    Jan. 10, 2014 9:46 a.m.

Congrats on the win. They still struggled against an inferior and decimated team. Haws and Carlino, way to finish the game. Collinsworth, Halford and Worthington are hustlers. Coach and the team still have work to do. Good luck.

• jarka-rus Layton, Utah
    Jan. 10, 2014 10:01 a.m.

LMU > Wazzzoo that's for sure

• jarka-rus Layton, Utah
    Jan. 10, 2014 10:06 a.m.

@cougarsundevil, spot on! Funny how as time goes by Ute fans are becoming more and more like SEC fans LOL, I would never ever root for Miami or UNC or NC State just because they are in the ACC.

• CougFaninTX Frisco, TX
    Jan. 10, 2014 10:27 a.m.

Nice to see Haws have a break out game. He was sensational down the stretch. Look forward to getting Mika back soon.

Bracketology is a joke at this point in the season.

• Vladhagen Salt Lake City, UT
    Jan. 10, 2014 10:39 a.m.

Again and again, there seems to be a disconnect between the "Pac 12" doing well and the "Utes" doing well. Just because my big brother went to a dance with the cutest girl in 10th grade does not mean I also did. It is becoming massively bothersome to get on and read about the success of the Pac 12. Big Whoop. The WCC had a #1 last year. Didn't do BYU much good did it? Same with the Utes here. So what if your conference is going to send 5 teams. You are not one of them. Stop bragging about how hot your older brother's wife is. You are living on borrowed fantasy.

• BlueHusky Mission Viejo, CA
    Jan. 10, 2014 10:50 a.m.

I'm enjoying BYU hoops under Rose after 20 years of hating college hoops. BYU is fun to watch, win or lose.

I like that BYU's players are dedicated to the school, not one and done hoopsters doing their apprenticeship at some school before jumping to the pros.

I like the WCC, too. Tough teams in little gyms, playing hard. Fun games. I'm glad BYU has to earn their wins there.

As for PAC-12 boosters, good for you, if you really care about the PAC-12 teams. Frankly, however, you sound like a bunch of BYU haters who are grasping at straws in a futile attempt to disparage BYU. Every BYU success hurts and I laugh at you guys.

• motorbike Cottonwood Heights, UT
    Jan. 10, 2014 11:06 a.m.

Truth Machine

"Sagarin's Predictor says BYU(83.61) would beat Utah(80.80) by 7 points in a rematch in the Marriott Center(+4) or by 3 points straight up on a neutral court."

• InterestedObserver Provo, UT
    Jan. 10, 2014 11:09 a.m.

48 Total Fouls
    2+ hours to complete the game.
    61 combined Free Throw Attempts.

The Officials played WAY TOO much into the game. There was one of the three who call most of the calls.

• Samwise Salt Lake City, UT
    Jan. 10, 2014 11:41 a.m.

Chris B

ESPN Bracketology is also still predicting BYU as a "last four out", indicating that they still have a very good chance of making the tournament (according to ESPN Bracketology, which you have cited). Utah? Nowhere to be found. Yes, Utah won (and won big) this year, but the better team does not always win, and this is especially true in College Basketball, especially when the better team is on the road. Also, I already know your paradoxical view that the team that wins is always the team that is better. Finally, I must say that I find it interesting how I always agree with you on political or other non-sports related articles yet on sports-related articles involving BYU, your BYU hatred shows a lot and I often disagree with you (I admit that you sometimes make good observations that often are interpreted incorrectly by you). I guess it goes to show that as awesome as sports are, they are not the most important thing in life. Or something like that.

• CougarSunDevil Phoenix, AZ
    Jan. 10, 2014 11:51 a.m.

jarka-rus

"spot on! Funny how as time goes by Ute fans are becoming more and more like SEC fans LOL, I would never ever root for Miami or UNC or NC State just because they are in the ACC."

That's it!! I've been trying to figure out what the issue was with Ute fans, but I think you hit the nail on the head. I can't stand the SEC for that very reason. Chest thumping about their conference being the "best" etc. I heard some people at the ASU games talking about the "PAC 12 being the second best conference, blaw blaw blaw." I don't care about the conference as a whole, just ASU. Yet, fans of the teams in the PAC 12 are moving in the direction of cheering on a conference instead of their team.

I dare say I got more out of your post than I have any other post EVER on these boards. Thank you!

• CougarSunDevil Phoenix, AZ
    Jan. 10, 2014 11:54 a.m.

motorbike

"Hahaha ... keep enjoying those hypothetical victories, we Ute fans will stick with the game that was actually played!"

• Objectified Tooele, UT
    Jan. 10, 2014 12:12 p.m.

@ ekute:

Nice post. Good luck to the Utes on Sunday.

@ Chris B:

I was hoping this wouldn't get into another tit-for-tat thing again. But you are forcing me to remind you that BYU currently has twice as many conference wins as Utah does.

I don't understand why both sides can't just give credit where and when it's due... and without putting anyone else down. Put-downs never make that team worse or anyone else any better.

I would love having both teams, as well as USU and Weber all getting into the NCAA tournament at the end of the season... as happened a number of years ago. The more from our state, the better.

Still too early for solid tournament predictions. It's mostly just guesses and opinions at this point.

• poyman Lincoln City, OR
    Jan. 10, 2014 12:55 p.m.

@chrisb...

Interesting comments...

"Espn bracketology is predicting two wcc teams will go dancing, 5 PAC 12 teams.

Wcc looking like a solid league?

Byu's first 7 league games dont include a single top 100 rpi opponent.

What a solid league!"

***********

You say a lot of inaccurate things here that need to be corrected or clarified:

1) Actually our 6th game (USF) is a top 100 RPI team.

2) The big bad pac12 has 8 teams in the RPI top 100 (67% of the conference)and the WCC has 5 (50% of their conference).
    3) To date, BYU has played 7 top 100 RPI teams (41% of their schedule) with a 3-4 record (43% win ratio), and the utes have played 3 top 100 RPI teams (20% of their schedule)with a 1-2 record (33% win ratio)...
    4) If BYU were in the big bad pac12 their RPI Ranking of #46 would be 5th highest in the league... Utah's #161 RPI Ranking puts them in last in their conference and they would be in 9th place in the WCC.
    5) ESPN Bracketology has the WCC with 2 teams in the dance and the pac12 is projected to have 4.

• motorbike Cottonwood Heights, UT
    Jan. 10, 2014 1:22 p.m.

CougarSunDevil

"You mean your "moral" victories? hypothetical = moral. Ute fans aren't so different than BYU fans motorbike. You included."
    _____

Not even close to the same thing, but whatever makes you feel better I guess.

Trying to use numbers, wins/losses against other teams, polls, or the fact that a game was played on this court, that court, or another court... all to come up with a way in your own brain that makes you feel like BYU would win a rematch??? That's a hypothical win.

A moral victory is when logical fans say, "hey, we played that team pretty tough and although we lost, I like the effort and I like the improvement."

MAJOR difference.

So yeah, I'm fine with fellow Ute fans taking solace in a few moral victories if they so choose. Why? Because logic says we'd be lucky to get invited to any postseason tournament considering where Utah basketball was two years ago.

But here's the great thing for Utah fans ... when it comes to BYU, there's no need to lean on a moral or hypothetical victory. Utah won the ACTUAL game. And you know what? It feels good! :)

• jarka-rus Layton, Utah
    Jan. 10, 2014 1:45 p.m.

@CougarSunDevil
    Many thanks! it came to me reading your post LOL

• CougarSunDevil Phoenix, AZ
    Jan. 10, 2014 2:51 p.m.

You're making me pretty dizzy Motorbike. Let me take a macro approach.

Hypothetical victory = Still a loss
    Moral Victory = Still a loss.

jarka-rus,

I wish there's a way I could take you (and presumably your family) to dinner. You sound like quite the sensible fan. I think I would enjoy your conversation. If you come down for the BYU/Arizona game in 2016, we should figure a way to tailgate!

• midpacmajor Salt Lake City, Utah
    Jan. 10, 2014 3:05 p.m.

motorbike

Amusing, the inconsistency of Utah fans always predicting how BYU wouldn't do any better in PAC 12 than Utah has done (based on hypothetical wins and losses), yet whining about BYU fans predicting how a rematch with Utah would turn out on BYU's home court.

Unfortunately for U, based on actual, not hypothetical, results this season:

#37 BYU - 3-4 versus Top 100 teams (3 of 10 wins versus Bottom 100 or non-Div 1 teams)
    #150 Utah - 1-2 versus Top 100 teams (9 of 12 wins versus Bottom 100 or non-Div 1 teams)

----------------

Vladhagen is 100% correct:

"More and more there seems to be a disconnect between the "Pac 12" doing well and the "Utes" doing well."

Utah fans are forced to glom onto the successes of their conference mates because the Utes have no successes of their own to brag about.

• Uteology East Salt Lake City, Utah
    Jan. 10, 2014 3:59 p.m.

@CougarSunDevil

jarka-rus,

----------

An ASU fan tailgating at their rival Arizona's game while ASU is playing in Tempe? Way to support your team!

• motorbike Cottonwood Heights, UT
    Jan. 10, 2014 4:22 p.m.

CougarSunDevil

"You're making me pretty dizzy Motorbike. Let me take a macro approach.
    Hypothetical victory = Still a loss
    Moral Victory = Still a loss."
    ____

Well now we're getting somewhere! Which brings us back to the original point... Utah fans get to leave BYU fans to discuss your two type of "victories" (losses). For when it comes to Utah versus BYU, the game has in fact been played ... there's no need for the ACTUAL winner to talk about hypothetical or moral victories. And I'll say it again, it feels good!

• motorbike Cottonwood Heights, UT
    Jan. 10, 2014 4:44 p.m.

midpacmajor

Your numbers are entertaining. You apparently haven't looked at the schedules well enough to know how many "top 100" games/opportunities are still in front of Utah.

And did you notice how despite two victories this week your team dropped 13 spots in your beloved RPI rankings?

Enjoy the free fall.

• Gone fishin Seattle, WA
    Jan. 10, 2014 5:38 p.m.

Motor,
    It is very funny how Utah fan seem to ignore the past 13 years when it comes to the consistent quality of teams. Who can remember when the last time Utah went to the post-season in b-ball and a bowl game in football. As I recall BYU has been to the post-season for about 8 years straight or so. Let's not forget the string of bowl games for BYU. Athletically, BYU is hands down better in both major sports and is so recognized by the NATINAL EXPERTS.
    YES, it does feel good to be a national brand and be recognized by the national media. Someday Utah may know the feeling again.

• let's roll LEHI, UT
    Jan. 10, 2014 7:41 p.m.

Go Cougars! Go Utes!

I went to, and enjoyed, both schools. I enjoy following both schools. I'm happy for the success of both.

None of that happiness requires one school be "better" than the other.

I was happy to see Utah sign a nice recruit this week and BYU beat Pepperdine and be ranked in USA Today's Top 25 for football in 2014 (although I admit I won't read the slew of predictable comments from both fan bases when that one is reported).

• Striker Omaha, NE
    Jan. 11, 2014 5:48 a.m.

"Do folks really believe you HAVE TO pick a side. Sure, you may choose to, but HAVE TO? How silly."

You don't understand what a rivalry is. So many schools don't have one. It's a blast and an emotional roller coaster to be a fan of ONE side of a major rivalry. For years, BYU dominated Utah in football and Utah dominated in basketball. Now, those are reversed and they will reverse again in the future.

Ask fans of Arizona/Arizona State, Auburn/Alabama, or Lone Peak/American Fork if they think it would be "silly" to just cheer for both schools. It's silly to cheer for both. Take a side and man up when your team loses, or gets dominated. It happens to both schools each year in some sport. That is what makes the rivalry so fun! One second you're on top of the rivalry, the next you're at the bottom.

• Uteanymous Salt Lake City, Utah
    Jan. 11, 2014 8:05 a.m.

motorbike

"You apparently haven't looked at the schedules well enough to know how many "top 100" games/opportunities are still in front of Utah."

We've looked at the schedules well enough to know that most of those "top 100" games left on Utah's schedule are automatic losses since the Utes are incapable of beating PAC teams on the road - Utah is 1-18 on the road since joining the PAC.

• motorbike Cottonwood Heights, UT
    Jan. 11, 2014 6:41 p.m.

Uteanymous,

"We've looked at the schedules well enough to know that most of those "top 100" games left on Utah's schedule are automatic losses..."

Kind of like how you all knew BYU would take care of the Utes this season? You'll have to excuse us for opting to let the games be played rather than take credence in the opinions of Coug fans.