Opinion

Is the road to the presidency closed for Gov. Chris Christie?

Comments

• TeaPublican Houston, TX
    Jan. 9, 2014 12:04 p.m.

I See NOTHING, I hear NOTHING, I know NOTHING!, I didn't know Sgt. Christie was in Hogan Heroes!

We Conservative Republicans will never SUPPORT an undocumented Republican like Christie!

• FT salt lake city, UT
    Jan. 9, 2014 12:08 p.m.

Seriously, his road closed? He would never survive a Republican primary. Did the author forget about the Tea Party and the current qualifications they require to lose a national election?

• Pagan Salt Lake City, UT
    Jan. 9, 2014 12:16 p.m.

If this man bumbles his own state, I see no reason to vote him into higher office.

*'AP: Lawmaker seeks hearing on NJ gov's chopper use' - By Angela Delli Santi - AP - Published by DSNews - 06/02/11

'TRENTON, N.J. — A Democratic state lawmaker said Thursday she'll convene a hearing into (Republican) New Jersey Gov. Chris Christie's use of a state police helicopter to fly to his son's baseball game. (sic) '(Chris) Christie's (Gov. Republican – NJ) spokesman says the governor won't reimburse taxpayers.'' – Article

He (Christie) LATER paid the almost $3,000 dollars charged to tax payers.

Close all the roads and take a helicopter to your sons baseball game?

This is grandstanding.

And has no place in our government.

I will not vote for sabotage politics.

• procuradorfiscal Tooele, UT
    Jan. 9, 2014 12:33 p.m.

Re: "Is the road to the presidency closed for Gov. Chris Christie?"

Didn't seem to bother liberals when President Obama's team did the exact same thing. Doesn't seem to bother them that Hillary did much, MUCH worse.

So, how come Christie is being judge by a different standard?

Hmmmmmm?

Smells like standard disingenuous liberal hate speech, to me.

• The Skeptical Chymist SALT LAKE CITY, UT
    Jan. 9, 2014 12:41 p.m.

Christie is a bully in classic Tony Soprano style. He wants his own way, and he aims to get it. He lost me when he chose to hold a special election for the open Senate seat only 3 weeks before a regularly scheduled election, at a cost to his state of about $30 Million. Apparently, he did so simply to run up his margin of victory in his re-election, the success of which was already assured. I don't believe for a moment that he didn't, at a minimum, encourage the vindictive bullying atmosphere that was revealed in the emails.

• souptwins Lindon, UT
    Jan. 9, 2014 12:41 p.m.

Honestly people??-- I saw his press conference as very straight forward and candid. How many opportunities has Obama had to take action against those on his staff that have done as bad or worse garbage but did nothing? Vegas conventions, IRS audits, fast & furious, Bengazi..... it's a pretty long list and not a firing to be seen. This is the type of hype and over reaction the Democrats count on to win elections. The hypocrisy is glaring and if we don't see through it, we'll be stuck with Hillary who wrote the book on sleezy unethical politics since the 70's. He's taken appropriate action as soon as he learned of & had proof of it. What more do you want? The ultra-conservative, tea party folks won't be happy with anyone short of Jesus Himself-- actually they might not even vote for Him. I find Christy refreshing pragmatic and nonpartisan.

• Steven S Jarvis Orem, UT
    Jan. 9, 2014 1:15 p.m.

Ignoring the current controversy and all the other negatives that are said about Governor Christie, all that would need to happen for him to lose a shot at the White House would be the reminder of what he said positively about the Federal Government and President Obama during the disaster recovery effort in his state. Any connection to the President that is positive is a deathknell to a Republican.

I like the guy. He'd be fun and unpredictable in a debate. Hopefully he still runs and we can have some entertainment unseen since Ross Perot. However, I can't see myself vote for him knowing how difficult his personality is to work with.

• 2 bits Cottonwood Heights, UT
    Jan. 9, 2014 1:21 p.m.

I hope so... I would hate to see someone like him as "President" of the United States.

He's witty... but we don't need a comedian in chief. He doesn't seem to have the character I would expect to see in a dignified "President".

The Media loves him because he entertains them, and gives them interesting stories to report, and he's close enough to being one of them (for an R). But a media darling is not what we need in a Commander in Chief. We already tried that. Let's try to find a great Statesman, and a person willing to reconcile the differences between the two sides (instead of just throwing gas on it like Obama and his Democrat Super-Majority did). We need a guy who won't over-reach or over-promise. I know... hard to find. Especially when the MSM will try to quickly flush any candidates like this down the toilet (not entertaining enough for them I guess).

• Tolstoy salt lake, UT
    Jan. 9, 2014 1:22 p.m.

Those of you claiming "liberals" are out to ruin Christie's run from president please be honest, the only way he makes it out of the primaries is if the "liberals" attack him so badly that republicans vote for him because the only thing they hate worse then a moderate is the "liberal" bogyman they have created in their minds.

• 1978 Salt Lake City, UT
    Jan. 9, 2014 1:47 p.m.

Let me see if I get this right:

And the press wonder why the public have no confidence in their objectivity.

• Church member North Salt Lake, UT
    Jan. 9, 2014 1:52 p.m.

To souptwins:

This story is about Christie. Obama is not even mentioned in this article. Why bring him up? You are trying to distract people from this story.

• JoeCapitalist2 Orem, UT
    Jan. 9, 2014 2:13 p.m.

Pagan: "I will not vote for sabotage politics."

Glad to hear that you won't be voting for Hillary in the next election.

This whole thing points out the abuse of power that happens in all levels of government and why we need a small, tightly controlled government. If this thing had happened to Obama (oh, wait...it already has numerous times) then liberals would be saying "Move on. Nothing to see here."

The hypocrisy is getting pretty thick. I am a conservative and I hate double standards. I like a lot of things Christy does. But if it is proven that he had ANYTHING to do with this scandal, then he should pay a steep price for it. I believe that those responsible for this scandal will be actually held accountable (i.e. FIRED). Can't say that about anyone connected with any of the Obama scandals in spite of all his feigned "outrage".

• Pagan Salt Lake City, UT
    Jan. 9, 2014 2:38 p.m.

'Christie's aide causes a traffic jam and therefore he (Christie) is not qualified to run.

Hillary does nothing as four Americans are killed in Benghazi over eight hours and she is the ideal candidate.'

3,000 Americans die in 9/11 on NY soil…

4,000 Americans die in Iraq over falsehoods.

That guy was elected to the Presidency.

Twice.

• byufootballrocks Herndon, VA
    Jan. 9, 2014 2:41 p.m.

"After allegations that Gov. Chris Christie played a role in shutting down a main access point into New York as political revenge, some find his political future in question."

This is false. Why is the Deseret News still reporting it this way after Christie's incredible news conference?

Number one, he had no role in shutting down the traffic, and two, many observers feel his handling of this today has increased the likelihood of him becoming a viable Presidential candidate.

• J. S. Houston, TX
    Jan. 9, 2014 2:50 p.m.

Is the road to the presidency closed for Gov. Chris Christie? time will tell.

• I M LDS 2 Provo, UT
    Jan. 9, 2014 2:56 p.m.

As a life-long Republican, I like Christie. I think he handled this situation well. He fired the people responsible. He took responsibility for what happened on his watch. He has a reputation and a track record to support it that he is a no nonsense, straight shooter, who is not willing to play political games at the expense of the people he serves. He is reasonable and willing to work across the aisle to make things better, rather than playing the kind of games we saw from Cruz and Lee.

I like Christie.

Still

• 2 bits Cottonwood Heights, UT
    Jan. 9, 2014 3:46 p.m.

I guess you have a good point. If Hillary Clinton wasn't disqualified after Americans were killed in her Benghazi-gate and the cover-up... then why would Governor Cristie be disqualified for his involvement in Bridge-gate? All he has to say is he knew nothing about it (like Hillary).

As Senator Weiner always said... America IS a forgiving people.

I still don't think Governor Christie has the temperament or the integrity needed for this office. But that hasn't stopped us in the past.

• souptwins Lindon, UT
    Jan. 9, 2014 5:24 p.m.

To Church Member--- I'm pointing out the hypocrisy of those Dems saying this disqualifies him. In order to make that case, there needs to be examples of Dem's how have had similar issues and not handled it as well. Would like to refute the actual point now?

• Independent Cuss Waldoboro, ME
    Jan. 9, 2014 6:39 p.m.

Christie says he knew nothing about this. OK, let us take him at his word, at least for the moment. The Presidency is the highest executive office in the land. What sort of high executive hires people who would do what Christie just fired them for? What sort of high executive doesn't kinow it when his staff cause major havoc a few miles up the road? Either Gov. Christie is a weak executive, or something that smells bad hasn't yet been told.

• Blue AZ Cougar Chandler, AZ
    Jan. 9, 2014 7:48 p.m.

@Skeptical Chymist
    If Christie is a bully, what does that make Obama? As long as we're talking about politicians ramming their agenda down the throats of the opposition...

I agree with what "1978" posted, there seems to be a double-standard here if Hillary Clinton is the ideal candidate for the presidency in 2016. Bridge vs. Benghazi? Please, no comparison. I think the liberal media is happy to finally have the focus off the Obamacare issues.

After reading some of the comments here, I wonder if most people commenting even watched the press conference. If...and that's a big IF...Christie had anything to do with this, then yes, that would certainly hurt his presidential prospects. But Americans have a short memory. I happen to believe the guy after watching the press conference. Even after clearly stating he had no knowledge of the issue, he still took ownership of it and has acted pretty swiftly to fire the people involved. How many people were fired after Benghazi? How many people were fired after the Obamacare implementation fiasco?

• TRUTH Salt Lake City, UT
    Jan. 9, 2014 9:13 p.m.

Christy was never the GOP choice for 2016.... But was lrather the choice the lame stream liberal lock step Clinton Obama media has tried to foist on the GOP.....Christy is about as conservative as Eric holder and equally honest........we need Christy about as much as we need Pelosi do john McCain to be the GOP nominee.........no RINO's....

Cruz, Walker, or Rubio will be the GOP nominee.......

• Pagan Salt Lake City, UT
    Jan. 9, 2014 10:19 p.m.

'Pagan........reading your post I could pretty much replace Christywith Obama.......and I guarantee you that the atrocities of IRS scandal, fast and furious, Benghazi, and his lavish trips make far out scale christy exponentially.......can you say the word hypocrite?'

*'Republicans ALTERED Benghazi Emails, CBS News Report Claims' – 5/16/13 – Huffington Post - By Chris Gentilviso

'CBS News reported Thursday that leaked versions sent out by the GOP last Friday had visible differences than Wednesday's official batch. Two correspondences that were singled out in the report came from National Security Adviser Ben Rhodes and State Department Spokeswoman Victoria Nuland.'

Because I am not the one fabricating insane claims and presenting them…

as fact.

That, is Conservatives.

• Midwest Mom Soldiers Grove, WI
    Jan. 9, 2014 11:10 p.m.

Whatever happened to "the buck stops here?"

• Furry1993 Ogden, UT
    Jan. 10, 2014 4:44 a.m.

I'm waiting to see what the investigation of this discloses, once that investigation is complete. I'm reserving judgment until the facts come out. I would suggest that's the best way to handle this at the moment.

• happy2bhere clearfield, UT
    Jan. 10, 2014 6:36 a.m.

Pagan

Bush was President for less than 10 months when 911 happened. When investigating the cause, it was determined that Bin Laden had set this plan in motion years before during the Clinton administration. It was Clinton and Reno and others who blocked intelligence access that could have stopped Bin Ladens plan here in the U.S. Clinton himself had a chance to get Bin Laden and did not do it. Bush inherited the national security failures of Clinton just as much as Obama inherited (as I'm sure you would say) the bad economy from Bush. Can't have it both ways pal.

• happy2bhere clearfield, UT
    Jan. 10, 2014 6:48 a.m.

I just want to say something to my fellow conservatives and Republicans out there. I'm very conservative. And Gov. Christie is far from my idea of a perfect presidential candidate, and far from my first choice to get the nomination. However, (you saw that word coming didn't you) some of you folks are already saying you would never vote for him to win the Presidency, even if he got the nomination. Way to early to tell how any of this will play out, but if he did get the nomination, and was up against a Democrat named say Clinton, Biden, or Kerry. Are you really going to cast a vote for one of them? You do understand I hope that to not vote for your party is basically the same as casting a vote for the other party. In this case the Democrats, and whoever they nominate. Let's not allow that mistake to happen again as it did with Romney, which gave us another 4 years of Mr. Incompetent.

• SCfan clearfield, UT
    Jan. 10, 2014 7:04 a.m.

Midwest Mom

In answer to your question, Obama sent it out of the white house along with the bust of Winston Churchill.

• JoeBlow Far East USA, SC
    Jan. 10, 2014 7:22 a.m.

If there is a connection, he is sunk.

But then, as some have already said, he was already sunk with the Tea Party and the right wing.

This latest issue aside, Christie would have a decent chance in the General, unless he had to swing too far right to get the nod. Doing so would alienate the moderates.

The gop needs to realize that while you cannot win without the base, you can NOT win with only the base. That is their conundrum.

• NedGrimley Brigham City, UT
    Jan. 10, 2014 8:16 a.m.

Nice sidestep, Pagan. 2:38 pm. It's still all about GW isn't it?

• pragmatistferlife salt lake city, utah
    Jan. 10, 2014 8:28 a.m.

You know as you read through these posts I don't believe I saw any posts by "liberals" that said Christie ordered this and he is lying. Yet there is a conservative storm of claiming hypocrisy using the tired old Benghazi, IRS, Fast and Furious etc. Yes tired old claims.

There have been over 13 embassy attacks in the last decade with over 50 deaths. All had some form of security weakness or breach. So either be upset about it all or their is no hypocrisy here. And yes the video did play a "major" role in the attack. It was the reason for the "mob".

IRS, after dozens of hearings and investigations, nothing but mid level management mess up. Hardly a surprise to anyone who has worked in a bureaucracy before.

Where's the reporter scandal? Nowhere

And on we go....

What's certain about Christie is his chief of staff sent an email saying time for traffic problems on bridge, and the person in charge emailed back, got it.

Now the investigations begin and we'll see.

• 1978 Salt Lake City, UT
    Jan. 10, 2014 9:05 a.m.

'Republicans ALTERED Benghazi Emails, CBS News Report Claims'

This would be the same CBS News that forged documents about Bush and the National Guard in 2004 to try and get him defeated but ignored the legitimate issues raised by the Swift Boat Veterans against Kerry.

Thank You for proving my original point. I couldn't have done it better myself.

• Ernest T. Bass Bountiful, UT
    Jan. 10, 2014 9:05 a.m.

If Michelle Bachman and Sarah Palin aren't on the republican ticket, I will be very, very angry.

• DeseretDebbie Corona, CA
    Jan. 10, 2014 9:19 a.m.

Possibly. Christie is GOPs Romney. The moderate sort of. The problem since day 1 with Christie and moderates was his style and issue of gluttony. This on the surface might not ruin his chances but this is beginning to look deeper than just Christie's jersey style management. If criminal charges are even remotely connected he is toast.

• Irony Guy Bountiful, Utah
    Jan. 10, 2014 9:48 a.m.

I don't think this scandal should affect Christie's reach for the presidency. He might be quite good. I like his Jersey voice and attitude.

• Confused Sandy, UT
    Jan. 10, 2014 10:02 a.m.

Independent Cuss said "The Presidency is the highest executive office in the land. What sort of high executive hires people who would do what Christie just fired them for?"

You mean a "Executive" who hired his staff that spies on US Citizens, sell guns to Cartels then loses them, have American diplomat killed, audit tea party organizations, have a failed rollout of a website that is suppose to insure Americans, who staff members have openly lied to congress about details of such actions?

You mean an executive like that?

• pragmatistferlife salt lake city, utah
    Jan. 10, 2014 10:50 a.m.

Confused..hired a staff that had an American diplomat killed. Man you are confused.

• Pagan Salt Lake City, UT
    Jan. 10, 2014 10:59 a.m.

'Bush was President for less than 10 months when 911 happened. When investigating the cause, it was determined that Bin Laden had set this plan in motion years before during the Clinton administration. It was Clinton and…'

Party of personal responsibility.

9/11 happens months into a Republican President.

Blame Bill Clinton…?

• Confused Sandy, UT
    Jan. 10, 2014 11:27 a.m.

pragmatistferlife,

Did or Did they (State Department) know Bengasi was in an area controlled by Al Qaida?
    Did or Did they (State Department) know that the British pulled out all their State Department personnel from the area?
    Did or Did they (State Department) know within TWO hours that it was a terrorist act and DID nothing?

Seems pretty clear to me that the personnel hired by the current President is responsible for the death of 4 Americans including Ambassador Stevens for the lack of security, and not closing the facility.

• Mike Richards South Jordan, Utah
    Jan. 10, 2014 11:54 a.m.

Yes, of course, stone the Governor. But just remember that only Democrats voted for ObamaCare. Only Democrats voted to raise the cost of health insurance. Only Democrats voted to deny us the right to keep our insurance. Only Democrats voted to deny us the right to keep our doctors. Yes, by all means, throw stones at the Governor, but be sure to take a truckload of stones to throw at the Democrats who voted on ObamaCare, who told us that we wouldn't know what was in ObamaCare until AFTER it was passed. Hold them accountable. They were standing at the helm with Obama when Obama was steering the Ship of State into the rocks.

• JoeCapitalist2 Orem, UT
    Jan. 10, 2014 12:59 p.m.

JoeBlow: "I will wait to pass judgement until it is determined whether Christie was in the loop. So far, there is not a proven connection. If there is a connection, he is sunk."

Why??? Obama, Hillary, and other Democrats have proven connections to far worse scandals than this and they aren't "sunk". Why should only conservatives and GOP members pay for misdeeds?

By the way, I agree that if he is connected to this scandal he should pay politically for it, but the double standard of the press and liberals makes me sick.

• Truthseeker SLO, CA
    Jan. 10, 2014 1:21 p.m.

"Chris Christie has created controversy in the past.
    For example:

New Jersey Star-Ledger:

"The political storm from Gov. Chris Christie's trip to Disney World during the Great Blizzard of 2010 just won't let up. The Auditor has learned state Sen. Sean Kean (R-Monmouth) was kicked out of Christie's first news conference following the governor's Florida vacation. The boot came after the Republican lawmaker criticized administration officials and Senate President Stephen Sweeney (D-Gloucester) for taking too long to declare a state of emergency."

Another:
    CBS:
    "...a particularly bombastic response by Gov. Christie on Thursday(2011) night to a parent on a public television show isnt sitting well with local residents.

A mom named Gail said:

You don't send your children to public schools. You send them to private schools, so I was wondering why you think it's fair to be cutting funding to public schools?," the woman asked.

"Hey Gail, you know what, first of all it's none of your business. I don't ask you where you send your kids to school. Don't bother me where I send mine, the governor responded."

• JoeBlow Far East USA, SC
    Jan. 10, 2014 1:41 p.m.

Let me guess. Whitewater and Benghazi?

Clinton will be remembered as a very good Secretary of State. And probably the first female president :).

• 2 bits Cottonwood Heights, UT
    Jan. 10, 2014 3:02 p.m.

This specific incident is irrelevant to me. But I've never thought he was Presidential material. But then... who is? I don't see any Republicans I could enthusiastically vote for.

It may come down to a, "who do I NOT want running the country", again this time. But then that's the way it's been for about 8 presidential elections for me. I don't see any real winners out there. Obama had a lot of potential, but I haven't seen him even TRY to deliver on anything he promised except a partially botched ACA so far, and it's almost over.

I'll bet President Putin is disappointed too. I mean Barry promised him he would have a lot more leeway in his second term to make changes. And it's turned out to be even less eventful than the first 4 years.

I guess what I'm saying is... if Barack Obama (with the ultra-enthusiastic following he had, the Super-Majority, and millions of minions with such high expectations... was only able to accomplish this meager act... what can we expect from these candidates who want to replace him?

Not much. My expectations are pretty low.

• pragmatistferlife salt lake city, utah
    Jan. 10, 2014 4:04 p.m.

Confused, No, who cares, no and no'

The area was not controlled by Al Quida, the attack was started by a local second rate terrorist, who then used the video to rally enough locals to create the mob.

Again it was a mob in reaction to the video and the State Department sent 6 security personnel from Tripoli who help secure the compound (secret CIA facility). So no again.

Because I was originally talking about hypocrisy how about the 8 embassies that were attacked under Bush. One even had a weeks notice and nothing was done. BTW 52 people died in those attacks. So not only are your facts wrong about Benghazi but outrage is woefully misplaced.

• E Sam Provo, UT
    Jan. 10, 2014 4:07 p.m.

This has been a national story since September. So why did he wait until this week to ask anyone in his administration about it? I think he's toast. Too bad; I rather liked him. And as a Democrat, I think it's a good thing when both party's candidates aren't loony. And there will be loony candidates running.

• Alfred Phoenix, AZ
    Jan. 10, 2014 7:34 p.m.

@procuradorfiscal:
    "So, how come Christie is being judge(d) by a different standard?"

How come? Because he's republican.

The news media loves to castigate republicans whenever they can. Where are they on fast & furious, Benghazi, the IRS scandal, Michelle's Hawaii birthday present, an myriads of other Barack Hussein Obama snafus?

There was more coverage by the liberal media on the Christie story in 6 hours than there was in six months on the IRS scandal.

• Alfred Phoenix, AZ
    Jan. 10, 2014 10:04 p.m.

@Pagan:
    "4,000 Americans die in Iraq over falsehoods."

Those were not falsehoods. The WMD were clandestinely moved to Syria... which were later used by Bashar Al-assad on his own people. Read Georges Sada's book 'Saddam's Secrets' about it.

And if you're right, and they were falsehoods, the whole world, including the US Congress was duped.

@Independent Cuss:
    "What sort of high executive hires people who would do what Christie just fired them for? What sort of high executive doesn't know it when his staff cause major havoc a few miles up the road?"

For a second there, I thought you were referring to Barack Hussein Obama who's AG ran 'fast & furious' resulting in deaths, not just a traffic jam... and who's IRS official conjured the IRS scandal.

• JoeBlow Far East USA, SC
    Jan. 11, 2014 6:10 a.m.

"The WMD were clandestinely moved to Syria."

Speculation at best. Not a shred of credible evidence to support it. Yet you state it as fact.

• Howard Beal Provo, UT
    Jan. 11, 2014 11:12 p.m.

Candid and forthright or a bully. You can find a plethora of video of Christie berating people at town halls. The idea that the GOP would have or still considers him a viable candidate is laughable. The only hope for the GOP is Marco Rubio and that is probably why he stayed clear this go around...

• Howard Beal Provo, UT
    Jan. 11, 2014 11:21 p.m.

Mike Richards:

I suppose you want the GOP to win the election. I suppose you are a bright individual. This guy had/has no chance. The GOP needs to reinvent itself with some sort of way of appealing to more than just white (older) males. They have to have more than just hoping the country falls apart. The GOP is failing miserably to attract younger voters, Hispanic voters and single female voters. Christie would turn off most married females too. An election with Christie vs. Clinton or any Democrat would resemble more 1964 than 1984 let alone even 2012. Those are the facts. Again, the GOP's only hope is Rubio.

He could make a dent in all of those groups above. And still have a conservative message you and others desire. It is probably good this all came out vs. some "October Surprise." This is good news for the GOP. Now they can actually find a real candidate and THERE IS ONLY ONE--Rubio.

• the old switcharoo mesa, AZ
    Jan. 12, 2014 4:28 p.m.

Go ahead and vote for him I don't care. Let him be Palin's vp running mate. The more ridiculous the better.

• Mike in Cedar City Cedar City, Utah
    Jan. 13, 2014 9:38 a.m.

Good TeaPublican.. give us our dream ticket. Cruz and Backman. Oh please, please, please!

"Is the road to the presidency closed for Gov. Chris Christie?" No, but the road just got cut down by a couple of lanes. The question is "who really was manning those cones". And, just where does Christy's shoe leather finally hit the road?