Utah football: Utes' 2014 football schedule released

Comments

• Chris B Salt Lake City, UT
    Jan. 8, 2014 2:46 p.m.

Just another year playing the best of the best, and I wouldn't have it any other way. A few years from now Utah will have caught up to the middle of the Pac 12, and all other local teams will still be scheduling 6-9 games against nobody WAC teams.

Go Utes!

Whittingham has taken us to the top, and he'll do it again. I'm firmly behind him as the right man for the job. Playing the hardest schedule in the nation is an impossible task for any coach. He'll take us back to where we deserve. Lets just keep supporting these pac 12 Utes.

• Chris B Salt Lake City, UT
    Jan. 8, 2014 2:49 p.m.

For naysayers, I'll kindly remind you the Prestigious Pac 12 was 14-1 against the WAC and wac-like byu this past year.

14-1. LOL!

Just goes to show that even the "bottom" of the Pac 12 is still better than the "top" of the WAC.

And to continue with the common analogy, a "small" fish in a big Pac 12 pond is STILL BIGGER than a "big" fish in a very small WAC pond.

• scenic view Baltimore, MD
    Jan. 8, 2014 2:59 p.m.

"As was the case this past season, our schedule should prove to be among the toughest in the country, which is the kind of competitive situation you expect when you are a member of one of the nations premier conferences."

Sounds like Whittingham is already making excuses for another losing season on the hill.

Time to order a new supply of PAC 12 stickers.

• Henry Drummond San Jose, CA
    Jan. 8, 2014 3:07 p.m.

I think Utah is going to surprise everyone this year.

• RichDaddy Lewis Center, OH
    Jan. 8, 2014 3:19 p.m.

Another tough schedule for the Utes. Unless the team upgrades dramatically, this looks like another four or five win season (Idaho State, Fresno State, WSU, Colorado and one more out of the rest). The rest of the home games will be tough at best and the other road games are a challenge as well. Although Oregon State would seem to be winable, Corvallis on a Thursday night has been traditionally tough (just ask USC).

• Denver to Portland Portland, OR
    Jan. 8, 2014 3:22 p.m.

In football...
    BigTen has Indiana
    ACC has Wake Forest
    Big 12 Kansas
    SEC has Kentucky
    Pac 12 has Utah and Colorado

• Malihini Northern, UT
    Jan. 8, 2014 3:25 p.m.

Having a hard time seeing where 6 wins will come from. Does the great Whittingham survive another bowl-less season? Then again, they are in, "a premiere conference."

Good luck Utes.

• sid 6.7 Holladay, UT
    Jan. 8, 2014 3:31 p.m.

With wins over Idaho and maybe Colorado it's very possible Utah could go 2-10 in 2014. I hope I am wrong.

I know I don't sound like a Ute fan right now but with the last season we had and the hiring of yet another OC I just don't have much faith in my boys right now.

Like I said I hope I am wrong but with the pit I have in my stomach in terms of the future of Utah football I don't think I am.

Go Utes!

• redthunder Ogden, UT
    Jan. 8, 2014 3:36 p.m.

Wowzers. The USC through Stanford stretch should be interesting. I would be happy with winning one of those games. Already so excited for football. 7 1/2 months to go...

GO UTES!!!

• atl134 Salt Lake City, UT
    Jan. 8, 2014 3:59 p.m.

@Chris B
    Heh, WAC-like. Come on, at the end of the year Sagarin rankings Utah was a mere one spot ahead of BYU with both of them in the top 40.

• Chris A Salt Lake , UT
    Jan. 8, 2014 4:05 p.m.

@Chris B.

Utah=Iowa St or Indiana

You don't hear their fans tooting their horn about losing to Texas or Ohio St. every year. Hahaha

• Chris B Salt Lake City, UT
    Jan. 8, 2014 4:14 p.m.

@DenvertoPortland,

How does it feel that the Big 12 knows Kansas is more valuable to the big 12 than byU?

LOL

• Spokane Ute Spokane, WA
    Jan. 8, 2014 4:18 p.m.

@Denver to Portland

and yet they thump BYU every year. LOL

• BeSmart Cheyenne, WY
    Jan. 8, 2014 4:43 p.m.

Tough schedule coming up for the Utes
    @ Chris B
    Do you know that the Kansas basketball program is worth more than the Ute Football program?
    Education is a very good thing.

• Mkithpen Sandy, UT
    Jan. 8, 2014 4:45 p.m.

I hope couch W has all season to make it happen. I am betting he has 6 games or less to show his team is headed in the right direction the U will pull the plug. The UCLA game will be the breaking point for coach W. The big "Dr" of the AD at the U has too much riding on this to be average in the PAC.

• BYUalum South Jordan, UT
    Jan. 8, 2014 5:02 p.m.

Is there a limit as to how many times a blogger can comment on one board? Rather boring to keep hearing the same stuff from one person!

• Dan the Fan PROVO, UT
    Jan. 8, 2014 5:27 p.m.

Utah is in for a rough year. Realistically I see no more than 5 wins and that is stretching it. @Chris B, Whit won't take you to the top because he will be fired after next season, thats the brutal truth. No PAC-12 team keeps a coach that long with losing season after losing season in conference play. Also, you mock the WAC and teams like that and yet your new OC was just fired from Wyoming, one of the worst WAC teams. Good Luck!

Go Huskies, Bow Down!

• Spokane Ute Spokane, WA
    Jan. 8, 2014 5:35 p.m.

As far as the topic at hand goes; Brutal schedule; absolutely Brutal!

• a bit of reality Shawnee Mission, KS
    Jan. 8, 2014 5:46 p.m.

As a Utah alum, I find Utah Football a lot more exciting now that they are in the PAC 12. I'd much rather see them compete with the best than to see them dominate against the same second-tier teams year after year.

• Uncle Rico Provo, UT
    Jan. 8, 2014 6:27 p.m.

Too bad Utah doesn't have the automatic win of BYU.

BYU rarely beats Utah. The cougars haven't won by more than a TD since 1996.

• CougarSunDevil Phoenix, AZ
    Jan. 8, 2014 6:48 p.m.

So I just checked ASU's schedule. You know, a team always puts the weakest home opponent on the schedule as "Homecoming". Guess who ASU's homecoming is against? Yes, that's right. Utah! Only fitting.

ASU: Dominating Utah since 1977. But then that's nothing to brag about. Most PAC 12 teams do.

• CougarSunDevil Phoenix, AZ
    Jan. 8, 2014 6:49 p.m.

@Uncle Rico,

Thanks for Utah being on ASU's schedule. Automatic win since 1977.

• Uncle Rico Provo, UT
    Jan. 8, 2014 7:36 p.m.

Re: CougarSunDevil

My second favorite team is Florida State.

• Uncle Rico Provo, UT
    Jan. 8, 2014 7:41 p.m.

Re: CougarSunDevil

Florida State 3 National titles, Arizona State 0.
    Head to head FSU 3-1.

• Ernest T. Bass Bountiful, UT
    Jan. 8, 2014 7:53 p.m.

It's way easier to win easy games than hard games that's why we will bowl again and utah will probably not.

• Who am I sir? Cottonwood Heights, UT
    Jan. 8, 2014 8:02 p.m.

I can't wait to renew my season tickets! Fresno State, Washington State, USC, Oregon, and Arizona. (BYU fans should try to see the Arizona game - it will be a preview of when Arizona plays in Provo in 2020- something to look forward to!) Add to this schedule away games at Michigan and Stanford - both of which I plan to attend. However, we could be playing 11 mid conference games and go to a low level bowl game instead. NO thanks.

• CougarSunDevil Phoenix, AZ
    Jan. 8, 2014 8:26 p.m.

Uncle Rico,

I'm sorry to hear that. I hope you recover quickly if you hurt yourself jumping off the bandwagon. I hear Utah has a pretty good medical program.

• Uncle Rico Provo, UT
    Jan. 8, 2014 8:35 p.m.

Re: CougarSunDevil

I am not jumping off any bandwagon.

Who is the one here who knows you can't compare BYU to Utah, so he has to compare ASU to Utah?

• New to Utah PAYSON, UT
    Jan. 8, 2014 8:35 p.m.

This is a brutal schedule,I only see 4 wins possibly.
    The constant talking down of BYU& Utah State
    is getting tiresome. Utah beat USU 30-26 @RES
    & BYU 20-13 with PAC 12 refs. Chris B it's the
    Mountain West Conference & USU won their
    Bowl game & BYU also went bowling. I certainly
    don't know that the U could beat either the
    Aggies or Cougars this year. So until Utah
    even qualifies for a bowl game don't count your
    chickens before they hatch.

• CougarSunDevil Phoenix, AZ
    Jan. 8, 2014 9:14 p.m.

Rico,

"Too bad Utah doesn't have the automatic win of BYU.

BYU rarely beats Utah. The cougars haven't won by more than a TD since 1996."

Who's comparing to BYU? Utah can't measure up to ASU so you compare Utah to BYU. Sorry that Utah joined the PAC 12 and can't measure up with the big boys. Utah is a top tier mid-major/bottom tier power conference school. Anyone denying that is in denial.

I like BYU for what they stand for. I like to see them win. I don't compare them to any other school (although others do) because I don't care how other schools (or their fans) view them. However, when I see others (usually Utah fans) trying to demean BYU, I have no problem reminding said others (again usually Utah fans) that there are always bigger fish who are better...WAY better than they (again, Utah) likely ever will be. Just so happens that one of those bigger and better fish happen to be my school. ASU. The team I'll be sitting in my season ticket seat watching ASU do to their homecoming opponent what they have done since 1977.

• Cougsndawgs91 West Point, UT
    Jan. 8, 2014 9:24 p.m.

I hate to be a prophet but I will tell you how 2014 will go right now.
    BYU will win 9-10 games against what amounts to a MWC schedule and think that's special while trying to find a bowl game and hoping the "Christmas Bowl" pans out.

Utah fans will beat their chests and pint to their PAC12 flags while being the whipping boy and finishing 2-7 in league play and looking for new pecan pie recipes for the holidays. I guess they're ok with that rather than going to any bowl, even a third tier bowl that still might not take them because they don't have a lot of fans or tradition, or TV value like other programs in the state.

Utah state will win the mountain division of the MWC again (oh wait it's still the WAC to fans like Chris B that are still living in the past when it actually existed...makes sense, Utah has done NOTHING since the WAC existed after all). USU will then lose in a squeaker in the MWC CG and go on to win a hard fought game in the Poinsettia Bowl.

There it is, no need to speculate.

• sammyg Springville, UT
    Jan. 8, 2014 9:46 p.m.

It will be a three-peat bowl-less season. Another abject failure I am sure.

But what the heck, I'll join the hype... go Utes!
    Go PAC10.2
    I need stickers ASAP!

• Uteology East Salt Lake City, Utah
    Jan. 8, 2014 10:30 p.m.

@Denver to Portland

In football...
    BigTen has Indiana
    ACC has Wake Forest
    Big 12 Kansas
    SEC has Kentucky
    Pac 12 has Utah and Colorado

--------

And BYU is still in disucssions to challange Kansas.

• EdGrady Idaho Falls, ID
    Jan. 8, 2014 10:53 p.m.

If only stickers could pass and tackle.

• Uncle Rico Provo, UT
    Jan. 8, 2014 10:52 p.m.

Re: 4-8 (mark it down) is looking like what it's going to be for Utah next season, LOL.

In football...
    BigTen has Indiana
    ACC has Wake Forest
    Big 12 Kansas
    SEC has Kentucky
    Pac 12 has Utah and Colorado

And BYU loses to Virginia (Virginia's only win over FBS school was BYU) and to Utah.
    BYU goes 2-5 against BCS teams (and they didn't play a conf champion or runner up).

• talkinsports Gilbert, AZ
    Jan. 8, 2014 11:25 p.m.

As ugly as BYU's loss to Virginia was, it wasn't half as ugly as Utah's home loss to a 10-loss Colorado team that hadn't won a road game in four years, nor as ugly as Utah's shutout loss to 10-loss UNLV.

BYU beat SIX bowl teams, Utah only beat THREE (only one from outside the state of Utah).

BYU stomped Texas, which tied for 2nd in the Big 12.

Utah couldn't get past lowly Washington St(6-7) to qualify for a bowl.

• Down under Salt Lake City, UT
    Jan. 8, 2014 11:39 p.m.

I'm seeing a 2-10 or 3-9 season next year. This is not a good schedule for the utes. B ut hey, they are in the PAC and that is all that matters.

• Top5Alive salt lake city, UT
    Jan. 9, 2014 6:20 a.m.

Excited for next year though! Tough schedule but that's how its going to be from now on. Go UTES get to six!!!!

• Uteology East Salt Lake City, Utah
    Jan. 9, 2014 7:22 a.m.

@talkinsports

Has any BYU fan checked Sagarin rankings lately? The same Sagrin rankings that Deseret News and Cougar Nation has been using to prove the greatness of BYU?

#34 Utah 5-7
    #35 BYU 8-3

Your 6 wins over bowl teams mean diddly, considering those teams went 1-5 in bowl games.

• Cletus from Coalville Coalville, UT
    Jan. 9, 2014 7:28 a.m.

Wow we are prestegous again and thats all that matters. and we can win the Rose bowl for sure if we try hard.

Go Utes!

• Down under Salt Lake City, UT
    Jan. 9, 2014 9:43 a.m.

Let the tough schedule excuses begin.

• AZUTE1 Mesa, AZ
    Jan. 9, 2014 11:19 a.m.

In related news, Mighty Big Brother U just received a commitment from Miramar, FL S Andre Godfrey, beating-out UCLA, WISC & whole slew of other schools for his services....Immediate-impact recruit which emphatically indicates Coach DE's continued impact w/in our program!

Go Utes!

• Who am I sir? Cottonwood Heights, UT
    Jan. 9, 2014 11:28 a.m.

So many said the 2013 BYU schedule was evidence of how successful independence was. Yet, few if any, have made comment about the 2014 schedule - especially the home schedule. (The combined record of the 6 teams playing in Provo is 21-45 or 41%) At the end of the season when traditional rivalry games are held, who is BYU playing? A team from Savannah State. (Anyone know where they are from?) Whose 2013 record was 1-11 with the one win being Fort Valley State University. I, for one, refuse to believe BYU has reached that level of play.

• AZUTE1 Mesa, AZ
    Jan. 9, 2014 11:30 a.m.

Down under--

"Let the tough schedule excuses begin."

Stating a fact in no way equates to making an excuse....Personally, as a real/legitimate competitor, I unequivocally welcome the greatest challenge possible and its inherent greatest potential reward....Conversely, the byu ad deliberately seeks-out the easiest/softest path to padding their W-total/achieving bowl-eligibility....This mentality is utterly mind-boggling to me!

Go Utes!

• UtahBruin Saratoga Springs, UT
    Jan. 9, 2014 2:13 p.m.

Utah is getting better each year in the PAC. I know I have them going 5-7, but I would not be surprised at a possible 7-5 if they can figure out how to win a road game. Potentially Oregon State, ASU, USC, and even my Bruins. But that stretch of UCLA to Arizona is tough, no breaks really there.

Aug. 28, vs. Idaho State - WIN

Sept. 6, vs. Fresno State - WIN

Sept. 20, at Michigan - WIN *Close

Sept. 27, vs. Washington State* - WIN

Oct. 4, at UCLA* - LOSS *I'm a Bruin fan what would you expect.

Oct. 16, at Oregon State* - LOSS *Only because it is on the road

Oct. 25, vs. USC* - LOSS * Closer than anyone thinks, much like the UCLA game this year minus the INT's

Nov. 1, at Arizona State* - LOSS

Nov. 8, vs. Oregon* - LOSS *Again closer than many will think, I think Oregon is declining

Nov. 15, at Stanford* - LOSS *Payback and on the road

Nov. 22, vs. Arizona* - LOSS *Only because AZ is getting tougher

Nov. 29, at Colorado* - WIN

*Pac-12 game - Not this year, but as much as I hate to say it as a UCLA fan, it's coming.

• BeSmart Cheyenne, WY
    Jan. 9, 2014 2:39 p.m.

"Conversely, the byu ad deliberately seeks-out the easiest/softest path to padding their W-total/achieving bowl-eligibility"
    I doubt BYU deliberately seeks out this schedule.
    With most conferences have 9 game conference schedules you take what you can get.
    Sad but true.

• jarka-rus Layton, Utah
    Jan. 9, 2014 2:49 p.m.

What tough schedule??? Oregon, Stanford, UCLA if Hundley actually returns fine but other than that psssshhhhh, Colorado, Wazzoo, ASU got whacked in their bowl game, the Beavers LOL, Michigan is not a good team no matter how you spin the Ohio State game. Idaho State hmm I remember byu getting ridiculed for playing them right? Freson State meh.

• Go Big Blue!!! Bountiful, UT
    Jan. 9, 2014 8:12 p.m.

For my many Ute friends I hope Utah survives this schedule and moves up in the pac12. Because of a few fans like chris b, I wont cry at all when the utes lose 8 straight games in Whit's final season at Utah.

• let's roll LEHI, UT
    Jan. 9, 2014 8:13 p.m.

Go big or go home.

I look at the schedule and see nothing but opportunity.

On a more somber note, I checked Rivals today and Utah is #11 in the conference (ahead of only CO) in average stars for recruits in the 2014 class...I'd say time to get busy but the class looks like it's almost full. Hoping for the best for the last couple of recruits.

• worf Mcallen, TX
    Jan. 9, 2014 8:51 p.m.

It's tough playing Idaho State.

It'll be another home for the holidays season.

• Y's little brother Sandy, UT
    Jan. 9, 2014 10:27 p.m.

Uteology

Utah's 7 losses to bowl teams means even less than diddly.

Sagarin's Predictor ranks BYU #30, Utah #32, and his Pure_ELO (the ranking used for BCS standings) ranks BYU #39, Utah #65.

• Y's little brother Sandy, UT
    Jan. 9, 2014 11:03 p.m.

whoami

"At the end of the season when traditional rivalry games are held, who is BYU playing?"

At the end of the season, BYU is playing "conference of champions" member California, a team that played Texas in the Holiday Bowl in 2011, while Utah is playing Colorado, a team that has only won 8 games in the last 3 seasons COMBINED and hasn't played in a bowl game since 2007.

• JDS1 St George, UT
    Jan. 10, 2014 7:30 a.m.

Interesting how an article about Utah football turns into BYU bashing. I think the so called 'Utes Fans' would rather see BYU lose than Utah win. That being said, I don't see 6 wins for Utah on this schedule. Could be adios for Kyle.

• AZUTE1 Mesa, AZ
    Jan. 10, 2014 8:38 a.m.

Y's little brother--

"At the end of the season, BYU is playing 'conference of champions' member California, a team that played Texas in the Holiday Bowl in 2011, while Utah is playing Colorado, a team that has only won 8 games in the last 3 seasons COMBINED and hasn't played in a bowl game since 2007.

So much for the Utes supposedly playing a big time traditional rivalry game to end the season."

The only relevant fact here is that CAL finished '13, 1-11 [0-9], including getting absolutely brutally curb-stomped by CU, 41-24....CAL's sole W was by merely 7-PTS over FCS Portoand State!

• AZUTE1 Mesa, AZ
    Jan. 10, 2014 8:42 a.m.

besmart--

"I doubt BYU deliberately seeks out this schedule."

I have zero doubt about it, particularly w/their deliberately placed bye-weeks, including Idaho State in November just prior to playing against ND, all 3 of which resulted in Ls, BTW, which in and of itself is downright hysterical!

• BluedevilUte PAYSON, UT
    Jan. 11, 2014 1:01 a.m.

The truth is Utah returns a ton of talent. Jake Murphy going pro hurts but Tonga is a quality replacement. I would be very disappointed if Utah didn't go 8-4. Utah returns 16 players who have started or played major minutes not including Blechen . This is the year Utah fans have been waiting for. Also, were going to beat Michigan in the big house just like '08.

• CougOrUte..Naah Nibley, UT
    Jan. 11, 2014 9:33 p.m.

I think the optimists that are saying 4 wins are not being realistic. 2 wins is going take everything the Utes and Coach Whit can muster. 1sure win, 3 toss ups, and 8 sure losses. Goodbye to Whit by Christmas. By the way Whit did not get you where you are, Urban Meyer did. Oh yeah, and he jumped ship. The PAC 10+2 is too big for the U.