It does show the need for some community, even governmental oversight where life
sustaining resources are controlled by private entities. There are other, very
similar stories that have happened around me, but they didn't make the
news. Luckily, again, those folks had family that were watching over them.
Some of us, both old and young, do not have that kind of backup. But it
probably shouldn't be necessary to have a family nearby in order not to
freeze to death in the U.S. in the 21st century, via company error.
It she had a gas meter attached to her house, this problem could've been
solved with a hacksaw and large wrench... I still don't see why it matters
if her deceased husband's name is still listed on the account? They
obviously have that information in their system, so it's not as though
someone could call and pretend to be him to make changes. And utilities
companies wonder why they get such a bad rap...
People make mistakes. To keep this from happening again, why not require the
employees involved and their supervisors to make personal house calls whenever
someone's gas is shutoff. Let them have that assignment all winter long. If
they have to face the people who will die without heat, maybe they'll start
to think before making another "mistake".
I would think that an action to cut gas service smack in the middle of Winter
would require a **much** greater level of due diligence than seems to be the
case. Not only did the person suffer, an elderly widow no less, but there is a
strong possibility of serious property damage when the temps are in the teens or
less, as we've been having lately.Much as I hate the idea of
more government regulation, I'd say this case indicates a need for some
sort of law to guarantee in the future that more is required than an apology
Really now---"I'm sorry" is not really enough! The gas company
should be actively working to make this situation right. Perhaps
'zero' billing for her for a month for each day she was without gas
service. They should do more than just say 'I'm sorry"
Widow age 86, gas turned off in "error"?Reprehensible!!!!!!!!To a Corporation this lady is a dollar sign.... nothing more.
Personal face to face apologies would go very far, not only with this woman, but
the community. We have lost what the definition of "service" is. Now
it's all about pushing buttons and printed word. Whatever happened to
"person to person" contact?
DVD Gov't oversight would not help, but add to the confusion --- all
the family would have had to do, when no one would respond, is call and say
there is a gas leak. That would have brought someone in a hurry.