Faith

Two weeks with C. S. Lewis: An invitation to the 50th Anniversary Commemoration (+photos)

Comments

• timpClimber Provo, UT
    Jan. 1, 2014 9:32 a.m.

His Screwtape letters are among the most insightful and accurate description of Satan's ever enticing ways to carefully lead a soul to his dark kingdom. I imagine Screwtape has a special set of letters for us Mormons.

• A Scientist Provo, UT
    Jan. 1, 2014 9:47 a.m.

Gimp climber,

Start with the Wentworth Letter, then the Letters from Liberty Jail, and then there are a host of letters in LDS Church History that qualify.

IMHO.

• lmr Salt Lake, UT
    Jan. 1, 2014 12:10 p.m.

I walked in those green parks along the River Thames. Old memories from the 1960s.

One of my C.S.Lewis favorites (vaguely recall first reading it when referenced by Nibley or, oddly, by Chomsky):

"Reality, in fact, is usually something you could not have guessed. That is one of the reasons I believe in Christianity. It is a religion you could not have guessed. If it offered us just the kind of universe we had always expected, I should feel we were making it up. But, in fact, it is not the sort of thing anyone would have made up. It has just that queer twist about it that real things have. So let us leave behind all these boys' philosophies--these over simple answers. The problem is not simple and the answer is not going to be simple either."

• Carol P. Warnick Ephraim, Utah
    Jan. 2, 2014 6:50 a.m.

A well deserved memorial.

• PLM Kaysville, UT
    Jan. 2, 2014 7:31 a.m.

Mere Christianity is one of my favorite books. It is like reading the scriptures written in an alternative voice and explains so very well the philosophy of the gospel. I hope C.S. Lewis, as a defender of the faith, has a special place in heaven.

• fowersjl Farmington, Utah
    Jan. 2, 2014 7:42 a.m.

My favorite reading alongside the scriptures! C.S. Lewis certainly has a unique place in the annals of Christian history. As to your comment, Mr. "A Scientist": we shall see in the end if Joseph Smith/LDS Church is on the right side or not. You may be surprised more than I will be.

• Hutterite American Fork, UT
    Jan. 2, 2014 1:07 p.m.

I am a big fan of CS Lewis. He's kind of like the Duck Dynasty guy, Phil, though. If you're going to use either of them as a poster boy for religion or conservatism, you have to ignore a lot of what they've said.

• Ldslady Holladay, UT
    Jan. 3, 2014 11:01 a.m.

I am such a huge C.S. Lewis fan. Mere Christianity and Screwtape Letters are my two favorites, but all of his works are quite memorable. He hits it right on the spot though, in Screwtape. Satan's deceptions are so well exposed and in such a way that it actually was an entertaining read as well as so insightful. I remember years ago (I won't say how many) I was asked to first read Screwtape Letters at BYU, and I was shocked that here I was at a religious institution being asked to read a book about Satan or written as though it was written by him. I was quite naive then, and have since read that book many times, given it to both of my children who have read it, and several friends, and hosted a book club on the book. It makes for a GREAT book club discussion.