BYU basketball: Cougars will attempt to rebound against Pepperdine in WCC action

Comments

• Crow Sandy , UT
    Dec. 29, 2013 1:53 p.m.

That's right Dick attempt to bounce back but when your 14 games into your season and you don't know what you have it's kind of hard too.

• DrUte Woods Cross, UT
    Dec. 29, 2013 8:19 p.m.

Have to agree that so far this is not a typical BYU/Rose team.

We all know that teams must evolve as the season progresses in response to the different defenses they face; surely this team will study results so far and decide how they must modify their O & D game plans in response to the current "book" on BYU.

And you can bet there have been hours and hours spent in the film room.

Be patient, Blue Folk, these temporary shortfalls will most likely be over very soon.

Institutional history and tradition are simply too strong to allow these types of results to continue.

These young men are hurting in a variety of ways, very likely a deep visceral hurt. Hopefully the Blue Faithful will take this opportunity to support their young men and coaches, now more than ever.

• Cougar Blue 1 Henderson , NV
    Dec. 30, 2013 1:44 a.m.

Here is idea, quit playing Collinsworth at point. All he does in that position is turn the ball over. He thinks he has handles (and for some odd reason Rose does to), but he doesn't. That may have flown in high school, but not in college. Maybe encourage to develop a jumper and work on his free throws. Both of which he is terrible at. Thankfully he is a good rebounder, but when you have 5 of the teams turnovers, something has got to change.
    Would love to see Skyler more. He and Haws are there only pure shooters.

• thebigsamoan Richmond, VA
    Dec. 30, 2013 6:19 a.m.

Winning is the only cure all to any team problem they have. All their woes at the moment will quickly disappear if they can only learn to start winning again to build their confidence up. Right now I think they are in the dumps and their confidence level is very shaky at best. I blame those dang Utes again! They've sure got a riddle that we can't seem to solve! Even their strategy of playing an OOC schedule of so called soft teams to build their confidence level seems to be paying huge dividends for them, just in time for their conference play. And quite frankly, I think Coach K2's strategy is proving to be a brilliant one! Hope Coach Rose and the boys will turn this thing around soon!

Go Cougars!

• Chris B Salt Lake City, UT
    Dec. 30, 2013 7:18 a.m.

This team just isn't very good.

• goforit Provo, UT
    Dec. 30, 2013 7:40 a.m.

Don't expect much improvement, Cougars can't or won't play defense. They finish in the middle of the conference, horrible on the road. This is not a team, it is a bunch of individuals. No sacrifice for the team.

Jimmer mania succeed because Emery, Harstock and Obouo sacrificed all personal glory to make the team the best. This team has zero willing to do that.

Quit listening to local sports journalists and so called experts they only look at offensive numbers when evaluating talent, that's why your Cougars are rated so high in recruiting.

I hear everyone predicting multiple sweet sixteen's by 2020. I think it will be three or maybe just two NCAA invites. It won't happen 2013 or 2014 and if Mika serves a mission 2015 is out also. Until they find some one willing or able to play defense they will be fun to watch but they won't win like in the past.

I am right about the talent level of Utah and BYU not much different. Utah plays defense main difference between two teams.

• Juice Box Eureka, UT
    Dec. 30, 2013 8:45 a.m.

It's simple. You have a group of individuals, not a team.

• Ute Zag everett, WA
    Dec. 30, 2013 8:57 a.m.

Again, maybe you should write another article about all the future NCAA championships that BYU will win! I made the comment in that article that the Cougars should just start with a realistic goal of say winning the WCC conference. Maybe a realistic goal for this team is to finish in the top half of the WCC?

• CougFaninTX Frisco, TX
    Dec. 30, 2013 9:03 a.m.

I agree with the comments about defense. We beat Texas and Stanford because we had good offense production. But on those nights when our shots are not falling, and we don't hit 90+ points, we're going to lose because we simply don't play tough defense.

Free throw shooting has got to improve. We'd have at least two more wins if we were shooting 70 - 75%.

Like some others,

1. I want to see more Halford. He's got energy and can hit shots.
    2. I want to see less Collinsworth at the PG. PG has to be able to hit shots when open, and Collinsworth's range is inside of 12 feet. Teams don't have to guard him outside the arc.
    3. My desired starters would be Carlina, Halford, Haws, Collinsworth and Mika. I know it's small, but it puts more scorers on the floor.

• LadyMoon Crestucky, FL
    Dec. 30, 2013 9:15 a.m.

I agree with Chris B that this team simply isn't good enough to win many games or see any post season play.

• DH48 West Jordan, UT
    Dec. 30, 2013 9:39 a.m.

Team defense and rebounding pretty well says it all. There just isn't any. If you count on outscoring everyone you are going to run in to problems.

• motorbike Cottonwood Heights, UT
    Dec. 30, 2013 10:39 a.m.

I'll point out one more fatal flaw to Rose's style of play ... it completely negates the abilities of his big men.
    If I'm a cougar fan I'm frustrated as all get out that the second best player on the court, MIKA, rarely touches the ball. This is a direct result of the fast paced, run and gun offense.
    Any high school power forward or center with hopes of being noticed by the NBA throughout his collegiate career has got to realize BYU will absolutely not be the place for them to 1) improve their game, and 2) get noticed by NBA scouts.

• Tilka PORTLAND, OR
    Dec. 30, 2013 11:35 a.m.

Is coach Rose not well? Perhaps he isn't able to spend the time he needs with the players.

• What in Tucket? Provo, UT
    Dec. 30, 2013 12:45 p.m.

I think is a pretty good team, but the others have improved. I would like to see Mika step up and get the ball as suggested. He has to do it.

• Robyuuki Lewisburg, PA
    Dec. 30, 2013 12:53 p.m.

Good points again in your article. Being that I do not get to see BYU games where I live, your articles help me understand what is going on. Here is something that I do not get - Carlino. He is shooting 37.5% overal only 29% behind the 3point line. Yet he shoots 25 times a game. Haws and others have such better shooting percentages, can't our point guard pass the ball and up his assists until his shooting in practice improves. When I played, yea 3 decades ago, our defence improved when our assits and ball movement improved for we were thinking team, not self. Carlino's shooting percentage has only declined over the past 3 years. I know coach gives him a lot of leadway. Maybe it is time to pull that back and call plays in each time sprinting down the court. Good unselfish decision making is a most at point. - just a thought. go cougs

• BigCougar Bountiful, UT
    Dec. 30, 2013 1:03 p.m.

@Motorbike
    "Even Davies, who defied the odds, would have likely developed better skills elsewhere and found himself being more noticed."

You picked the wrong guy to try and make your point. Davies was the focal point of last year's offense and it was the style of play that got him noticed by NBA Scouts. They liked the fact that he could run the court and finish in transition. That's a skill set you don't see in a lot of plodding college big men but a trait that NBA teams love in their big men. They also liked that he could face up and shoot from outside as well as his footwork and ability to score in the post.

Also, Davies was 2nd on the team in shots taken and 1st in FT's taken. You kind of shot yourself in the foot there.

• BigCougar Bountiful, UT
    Dec. 30, 2013 1:05 p.m.

@ChrisB
    "This team just isn't very good."

A pretty astute observation by ChrisB especially seeing as how we let a really lame utah team beat us.

• BigCougar Bountiful, UT
    Dec. 30, 2013 1:16 p.m.

Simply put, Rose is going to have to reign things in a bit. Carlino's shooting percentage is suffering because he's rushing his shots. Same for Haws. We need to run the ball through the post more and get the half court offense settled down a bit so that guys are taking better shots.

Also, our best defense is played typically when Winder, Halford and Bartley are on the floor. We need to get them more minutes if it looks like Haws and Carlino are cold. I've felt since the pre-season that Collinsworth's best role would be at the 4 and now that we're in league play I think we can utilize him there more to our advantage.

We can play much better defense than we've been playing. Rose has to demand it out of Carlino, Haws and Collinsworth up front or sit them down in favor of players who will give the effort. I really hope this was a wake up call for Rose and the team.

• CougarSunDevil Phoenix, AZ
    Dec. 30, 2013 1:17 p.m.

Nothing from the state of Utah has given me much to cheer about this year. To think the crowning achievement for the entire state was Utah State's bowl win...(culminating in a whole season of performance topped with a bowl win, not just one lucky game). Thank goodness I live in Arizona with real athletics.

• starthillnotnelson Kamas/United States, UT
    Dec. 30, 2013 2:00 p.m.

I sort of agree with Chris B. BYU has the talent, but with so many selfish players on the team, this isn't even a team anymore. I would put Halford over Carlino. I would even take Nate Austin out. I might put Josh Sharp in there for him, but he would provide more of nothing. No points, no defense, just more rebounds. I am also getting sick of Haws. He just isn't good anymore. Bartley is good, but free throws are a problem for him and Mika. I think Halford would make this an actual TEAM.

• motorbike Cottonwood Heights, UT
    Dec. 30, 2013 2:39 p.m.

Big Cougar,

You're absolutely correct about Davies being able to run the floor and the fact that BYUs offense did indeed show that off to some degree. But if you think NBA scouts care about that near as much as they care about a big mans ability to thrive in a half court offense then you're up in the night.

As for your stats, they don't tell the story you think they tell. Of course Davies took a lot of shots with BYU, he was their big guy and played major minutes ... meaning a lot of his shots came on either his own offensive rebound or because someone else retrieved an offensive rebound and forced BYU into a half court offense. At that point the offense did indeed go through he and Haws, but that doesn't change the fact that the majority of BYUs game was and still is, a run and chuck offense.

Trust me, BYU will have a hard time getting many more Mikas or Davies to commit if the big guys only see the ball when there's an offensive rebound ... especially if they have NBA aspirations.

• ABELIEVER roy, UT
    Dec. 30, 2013 2:45 p.m.

I am a believer, however BYU will need to concentrate on the road better for them to have a chance at second place in the conference. I would work inside out (we have a very good big man that can score) and once you get hot then shoot more outside shots. Better days are ahead and as long as they play team ball and inside out, they will be in second place this year in the conference. Hey Chris B. we will beat Utah next year and good look in going .500 the rest of the year. Go Cougars.

• Oldcoach Hurricane, 00
    Dec. 30, 2013 3:18 p.m.

When I was coaching HS BB, I insisted on two things to win games--Play tough defense and make 75% from the line. When we did that, we beat teams with better talent. If you have kids willing to concentrate on defense and shoot 100 free throws per day, you can do it. We won a state championship because we shot 80% from the line in three games and played a hounding man-to-man D.

• 54-10 Salt Lake City, UT
    Dec. 30, 2013 3:30 p.m.

This team would not win 4 games in the PAC 12, Big 10, Big 12, ACC, MWC etc etc

• BlueHusky Mission Viejo, CA
    Dec. 30, 2013 4:25 p.m.

We all agree with Chris B and others that this team is falling apart. Problems have been identified. My take (because I'm an old guy)? Young guys got captivated with the Phi Slamma Jamma Jr team we saw early. Runnin', dunkin', guns blazing.

Lots of fun.

Now it is time to learn to play against teams that can stop the running. Got too 1-dimensional. Gotta learn to set up, pass, use some time, and play tough defense.

Now, when everybody will get more experienced, we lose Mica for two years. So next year, they'll have to adjust to a new team without Mika, who will come back rusty three years from now.

I think BYU sports teams have to suggest that mission bound kids do it first then come to play. Else, BYU will continue to maintain continuity.

• NevadaCoug Overton, NV
    Dec. 30, 2013 5:45 p.m.

Rose is to blame for this team's selfishness. He allowed it to happen against poor teams and didn't reign it in. How often did we see guys driving 1-3 against the Colorado Mesas of the world and manage to score the basketball? Now they are trying to do it against better defenders and it just isn't working.

One of the things that has always bothered me about Rose's teams: too much dribbling, not enough passing. I've often watched teams like UNLV, New Mexico, and even many WCC teams, pass the ball around the perimeter until they find an open man. BYU has always tried to dribble way too much, rather than pass the ball (especially against zone, where you HAVE to pass the ball around).

Also, when the defense collapses on a guy dribbling down the lane, somebody is open! Kick it out! Find the open man! I don't know how many times I heard Wrubel and Lyons say that very thing in the game on Saturday (before I finally got sick of it and turned it off). How many wide open shots and lay ups did Loyola get by doing that very thing?

• oaklandaforlife SLC, UT
    Dec. 30, 2013 6:27 p.m.

@ Juice Box

I totally agree with you. I truly believe BYU should handily beat Pepperdine tonight. If not, it may be a very, very long year indeed. At least they have a chance to see one of the beautiful campuses around.

• Striker Omaha, NE
    Dec. 30, 2013 6:50 p.m.

I love how people love to agree with trolls who love to make trollish comments. Please.

BYU played an extremely tough non-conference. Looks at some of these teams who play nearly all their games at home, with mostly poor teams. LAME! The number of those teams is endless. BYU beat a good number of teams who only have 3 or fewer losses, and some losses only by a couple of points to teams in the top 25. How many teams did they play who are in the top 25? Cut the team some slack. LMU has done well vs BYU in the last few years, but they should handle Pepperdine. The team needs some good rest. I'd rather have a few losses against great teams than one loss with a weak schedule. Proud of the grit of this team, although some of the games they could have shown a bit more.

• Tilka PORTLAND, OR
    Dec. 30, 2013 7:08 p.m.

This game is on The Weather Channel???

• oaklandaforlife SLC, UT
    Dec. 30, 2013 8:34 p.m.

@Striker,

What team(s)are you talking about?

@Tilka,

Good question.

• motorbike Cottonwood Heights, UT
    Dec. 30, 2013 9:48 p.m.

Striker,

"I'd rather have a few losses against great teams than one loss with a weak schedule."

Glad to hear you understand what we Utah fans have been talking about in football for 3 years now.

• poyman Lincoln City, OR
    Dec. 30, 2013 10:23 p.m.

Another loss to another weak team... This is not how I had hoped this season would go... We have better talent than this...

This might be the worst season performance of any BYU team that I have seen under Coach Rose... Don't know what is going on, but it sure looks to me like it is deeper than the losses and the scores. Dave Rose needs to work his magic and get this thing turned around quickly...

Wow... Their performance smells all the way over here.

• jarka-rus Layton, Utah
    Jan. 2, 2014 1:41 p.m.

@54-10
    And neither would the UTes

• jarka-rus Layton, Utah
    Jan. 2, 2014 1:55 p.m.

@motorbike
    You act like the Utes ONLY lose to great teams, lol right, Colorado, Wazzoo, Arizona, Oregon State, etc etc. those are all great teams yeah.