Utah

Local lawyer has quietly dispensed free legal advice at homeless resource center for 13 years

Comments

• Steve C. Warren WEST VALLEY CITY, UT
    Dec. 24, 2013 3:19 p.m.

Nice going, counsel. I'll be telling no lawyer jokes today.

• Gandalf Salt Lake City, UT
    Dec. 24, 2013 5:15 p.m.

Beautiful. Thank you Jay. Fitting that this story should appear at Christmas.

• Esquire Springville, UT
    Dec. 24, 2013 6:09 p.m.

The man is a true hero.

• TMR Los Angeles, CA
    Dec. 25, 2013 2:25 a.m.

A great story. Thank you Jay,

• Cats Somewhere in Time, UT
    Dec. 25, 2013 6:54 a.m.

What a wonderful man who practices his Christian faith.

• Truthseeker SLO, CA
    Dec. 25, 2013 9:05 a.m.

Jay Kessler

Thank you for allowing your story to be told. We could learn much from you and your service.
    Thanks to Catholic charities everywhere for the work they do as well. They are a blessing to the communities they serve.

• Nan BW ELder, CO
    Dec. 25, 2013 9:16 a.m.

Great story and great example. I hope lots of other attorneys read it. I hope we all take his message to heart.

• WYOREADER Gillette, WY
    Dec. 25, 2013 12:01 p.m.

What a great story to read on Christmas Day! Inspiring and wonderful!

• Owl Salt Lake City, UT
    Dec. 25, 2013 2:38 p.m.

This is a wonderful story of service. LDS Humanitarian Services provides money and commodities that are distributed through cooperation with Catholic Charities. It's a great example of several faiths combining their efforts to effectively serve the needy.

• ignoranceisbliss Salt Lake City, UT
    Dec. 25, 2013 3:36 p.m.

Thank you, Jay! I know a little something about the great need for access to people such as yourself by those without the financial means to access legal services. It would be nice if the education system adjusted the curriculum to include training on legal procedure since every move we make today is either legally or illegally made and claiming to not know the legal ramifications of one's inaction or action is not an accepted defense. Those with mental illness and low-income families are easy targets for those with the financial means to make use of the legal system. I wish there were more people like Jay willing to take time out to help those in need. Being able to help people like the ones depicted in this story is the great reward.

• PAtoUT Midvale, UT
    Dec. 25, 2013 4:10 p.m.

Glad to say Jay Kessler is my friend. He has also helped me when I needed law advice. He followed up with phone calls to make sure I was doing OK and to give me more advice. He really is a hero and a Great Man. I say that while my faith and trust in men is very low. Jay is one of the good guys. And his wife is every bit as good and giving as he is. Lifted my spirits to read this. Merry Christmas, my friends, Jay and Jane.

• toshi1066 OGDEN, UT
    Dec. 25, 2013 4:32 p.m.

Fabulous sir, you are a true gentleman and a credit to your profession. May your good deeds continue.

• marmajean Bedminster, PA
    Dec. 26, 2013 5:58 a.m.

I had the privilege to be friends with the Kesslers back in PA years ago when we moved here in 1987. Jay and his wonderful wife are true disciples of Christ!

• kargirl Sacramento, CA
    Dec. 26, 2013 5:26 p.m.

This man is a great example and one I want to always remember.