Family

Missing motherhood: The one thing Barbara Walters regrets

Comments

• U-tar Woodland Hills, UT
    Dec. 19, 2013 4:45 p.m.

One of my biggest regrets was, I think I watched one of her shows once.

• bandersen Saint George, UT
    Dec. 19, 2013 7:06 p.m.

U-tar: thank you for the laugh, A big one! Never saw one myself.

• samhill Salt Lake City, UT
    Dec. 19, 2013 7:51 p.m.

I must admit to not being particularly fond of either Barbara Walters or her many products, particularly "The View". Much too leftward slanted, like most TV/Movies/Newspapers/etc.

But, I must also admit that it was difficult watching her offer her greatest regret and note that as she did so she appeared close to tears with what was, I'm sure, a painful realization at her stage of life. Perhaps because I have a similar regret.

I'm reminded of the saying I've heard at more than one funeral when a speaker is exhorting people to make the most of their lives. That is, the one thing very few people will be thinking when they die is, "I wish I'd spent more time at the office instead of with my family and friends".

• Justmythoughts Provo, UT
    Dec. 19, 2013 8:18 p.m.

Anyone who selects Hillary Clinton as the most fascinating person in 2013...should have ALOT of regrets!

• marxist Salt Lake City, UT
    Dec. 19, 2013 9:46 p.m.

Well after these snotty comments let me say that Walters' regret shows the painful trade-off so many people have with career. Family - its all about family, no question. Career supports the family but it must not be allowed to replace it. It's a hard thing to get straight.

• Thriller Saint George, UT
    Dec. 19, 2013 9:56 p.m.

Interesting. Here's a woman who has had unbelievable success in her career but only now realizes what she was missing out on. Maybe staying home with the kids really does lead to grander things than a successful career. Take note hardcore feminists.

• cjb Bountiful, UT
    Dec. 19, 2013 10:18 p.m.

She got what most women couldn't get, ... stardome and like air, family is most common but still it is most valuable. The long and short of what I am trying to say is she made a bad trade, if indeed this was a trade.

• Midwest Mom Soldiers Grove, WI
    Dec. 19, 2013 11:15 p.m.

Let's not forget that this is a trade that many men make as well. Just because you are the breadwinner in the family doesn't mean that you can't make time for your kids.

At the same time, many who regularly post comments on this website don't see similar value in motherhood if it's the poor. Then, let mom hold 2-3 jobs and still don't give her a break because the greatest good that she can do for her family is be a wage slave.

Family values are politically distorted on the right. The left may have many things wrong, but I think it's more honest about it.

• cambodia girl Phnom Penh, Cambodia
    Dec. 20, 2013 3:40 a.m.

As a wise man once said, "No other success can compensate for failure in the home." When all is said and done, family is the only thing that is lasting and can go with us after we leave this life. Relationships with our loved ones must be cared for. May each of us at this Christmas time, reach out to our family members that we have not talked to for awhile or even years and share the love we have for them.

• JWB Kaysville, UT
    Dec. 20, 2013 5:32 a.m.

If you see some of the other papers or articles, she has a lot of regrets, which is sad for an educated person to say after falling and making the world more worldly in deeds and thoughts. She also regrets pushing, advocating and believing in the person for two elections she was the publicity agent for, Obama and Hillary.

Mr. Duck man gets kicked off for saying his mind and she goes into retirement after emphasizing the world. Good is bad and bad is good. It is hard for our children and grandchildren when the media is the whole world of this world advocating for everything in this world except the real blessings and joys, family and God.

• dotGone Puyallup, WA
    Dec. 20, 2013 6:30 a.m.

Walters changed my life or I changed my life when I read her book "How to talk to anyone about anything". I got out of my shy awkward shell and began to ask people about themselves and have good conversations! I never saw her on the View or her specials about interesting people, but that book helped me out!

• Third try screen name Mapleton, UT
    Dec. 20, 2013 7:07 a.m.

I'd like to get the comments of Emily Eyring, the writer of this story.
    Perhaps she was thinking that her article would invoke all sorts of "family first" comments.
    Instead it became a critique of Walters' work.
    Perhaps what we are trying to say is that pop culture isn't real so we can never tell if a celebrity is being candid.
    We have been spun so much that we no longer believe what the stars say.

• Lionheart West Jordan, Ut
    Dec. 20, 2013 7:14 a.m.

Well said Marxist. It truly is about family and it doesn't matter what other accolades one acquires, it is hollow without family. There are many who ache for family and because of circumstance do not have it, but sadder are those whose chose something materialistic instead. Let the holidays remind us of how important family is.

• JoeCapitalist2 Orem, UT
    Dec. 20, 2013 7:41 a.m.

It's all about balance. It is entirely possible to be a great mom or dad and still have a successful career. You don't have to quit your job and stay home with your kids all day in order to be a successful parent. But in today's highly competitive job market, you probably won't rise to the pinacle among your peers unless you devote all your energy toward your career.

Those who are the most successful at their career are generally the ones who sacrificed everything else in their lives for it. But that should not stop us from seeking a balanced life. Just tell yourself "I will devote X number of hours towards my career each week. If X is not enough to be the absolute best, but is enough to succeeed and still leaves plenty of time for other, more important things then I will be happy."

• mohokat Ogden, UT
    Dec. 20, 2013 7:56 a.m.

I wondered what the topic would be when I heard that these two ladies were going to have a sit down.No I know.

• DEW Sandy, UT
    Dec. 20, 2013 8:30 a.m.

Condoleezza Rice must be laughing of what Barbara Walter said of her regret. Rice may have no regret (I think) staying out of politics.

• rodney k. smith BUENA VISTA, VA
    Dec. 20, 2013 9:18 a.m.

I posted this to facebook with the following observation: This is an interesting interview with Barbara Walters, whose greatest regret is that she did not have a larger family. Of all the gifts of God, which are so abundant, one of the greatest gifts is the opportunity to be part of an eternal family unit. As we gather as families, or if we are unable to do so for whatever reason, I am confident that we will feel much more fully the blessings of this wondrous season by reflecting on the most significant of all gifts -- the atonement -- and its centrality to the blessings of the next greatest gift, the gift of eternal families. Indeed, these gifts are so interconnected that it is no doubt an error on my part to rank them. Merry Christmas to all, including Barbara Walters, who made this wise and courageous, statement.

• iron&clay RIVERTON, UT
    Dec. 20, 2013 9:38 a.m.

I suppose Walters will be retiring to the island paradise of Cuba where she can worship the Castro's in the collectivist society that she has always dreamed of.

• Brent T. Aurora CO Aurora, CO
    Dec. 20, 2013 9:41 a.m.

Finally some positive comment from bungalow. What is this vitriol fro Barbara Walters? She is fascinating person in her own right whose success has benefited a great many people. Perfect? Perfect life, without regrets? No and nope. Like us all. Look at her life and career, consider, judge lightly... and look to one's self for improvement.

As to Hilary Clinton, it is very hard to imagine she doesn't become the next POTUS. There's been 20 years to vet her. Her husband has been treated very well by history and post-POTUS career. Both remain remarkably popular; arguably America forgives him and remains respectful of her. The idea of a former first lady becoming POTUS is fascinating and groundbreaking -- hard for the American people to resist. She has stayed active in the political arena; but carries little baggage.

• ryansaltlake SLC, UT
    Dec. 20, 2013 9:56 a.m.

I think "Missing Motherhood" is a misleading headline. When I read it, I thought Barbara did not have any children, but then I read she has one daughter. She regrets not having more children, but I think she clearly understands the importance of family. I respect that. I'm grateful I'm an active member of a faith that stresses the importance of family. But I hope I never judge someone of another faith who in the twilight of her life realizes her family may not be the "ideal" she hoped it would be. I may disagree with Barbara on her political views, but I commend her for working hard throughout her life in a worthwhile cause. I wish her a happy retirement.

• iron&clay RIVERTON, UT
    Dec. 20, 2013 9:59 a.m.

Walters' collectivist dream bubble will finally burst when she retires in Cuba only to find out that she has to live in the squalor created when the government owns and controls everything and there is no motivation for the people to work and provide goods and services to each other.

Refugees know where the light is.

• CWEB Orem, UT
    Dec. 20, 2013 10:16 a.m.

So...Read Jacob T. Marley...a follow up on the Christmas Carol...and read the fictional story of a man's regrets after his selfish life...we all have so much to learn.

Read about the pain of a man who spent his life loving money to the forsaking of all else.

Interesting book. Barbara should read it.

• What in Tucket? Provo, UT
    Dec. 20, 2013 10:52 a.m.

Typical of women who put their career first.The most important thing a man can do is marry a woman, and the second if he is able is to have children.

• BlueEyesBrittany Paris, 00
    Dec. 20, 2013 10:55 a.m.

I do not regret not having children but I do regret not finding a good faithful kind caring and responsible husband to have them with. It is so easy to make a child ..... but loving children is not the fun part of making them, it is the daily grind and hardwork of raising them the best possible way and caring for them. Some men make plenty of children and they do not even take care of them . They leave all the hard work to the wife and sometimes they leave the wife too without giving any financial support. So we do not need more children, but we surely need a billion more good men that we can trus to have them with. Period

• BlueEyesBrittany Paris, 00
    Dec. 20, 2013 11:09 a.m.

Continuation

At least a job allows financial survival and allows women to escape marital situation that might be highly threatening to them. Just think what it would be like for you if you switched roles. The problem with your kind of guys is that you never consider the woman's point, this is why there are so many feminists.

I also know plenty of women who were convinced by men to have child after child and who ended up being dumped by them with no financial support and reduced to extreme poverty. So what these women regret i am sure is to have ever married the jerk that put them in that situation and have ever had any child with him.

• BlueEyesBrittany Paris, 00
    Dec. 20, 2013 11:22 a.m.

For a man it is easy to say that for him that the most important thing is to marry and to have children. Usually this kind of men let the women do all the hard workd of keeping a house clean, cooking, shopping, organising everyone's activities, schooling and women. Men rarely participate but certainly do get the glory and boast about the number of children they have though they did not leave their small finger to raise them. So usually, women are there to ensure that their husband has a career and she takes care of all the hard work at home including raising the family. And one day, Mr. Hubby might even dump her for fairer fare ... and leaves her in the most terrible circumstances ... Sure it is great

• JBQ Saint Louis, MO
    Dec. 20, 2013 11:33 a.m.

She is definitely one of the leaders who caused women to walk out on commitment to marriage and family. Now, there is a broad coalition built around various ethnic, sexual, and immigrant groups to enforce her views and bring America to its knees.

• lqqk pocatello, ID
    Dec. 20, 2013 11:57 a.m.

BlueEyesBrittany: Too bad for you you seem to have had a very poor example of what a good husband and father are capable of being. You seem to have a very bad attitude towards men in general. I'm sorry for you. There are wonderful men and fathers out there. But this is about Barbara Walters. I'm sorry for her regrets. We all have some as life goes on. I wish her well.

• hoost Walnut Creek, CA
    Dec. 20, 2013 12:07 p.m.

Misleading headline. She IS a mother and makes no mention of "motherhood". Regrets not having more than one child.

• dotGone Puyallup, WA
    Dec. 20, 2013 12:21 p.m.

Oh yes! Now I remember why I've never watched any of her shows ... I was too busy with my children, raising them, taking care of them, hanging out with them, going to their family events, enjoying my beautiful grandchildren!!

• Sophie 62 spring city, UT
    Dec. 20, 2013 1:23 p.m.

We need to be more like Pres Hinkley, a good-hearted, loving person. He might not have agreed with Walters or Clinton, but he wouldn't have sneered at them either.

• John Locke Ivins, , UT
    Dec. 20, 2013 1:29 p.m.

You can't have it all, as much as we'd all like to. Family is so important and its benefit to your life should be assessed early on. My wife and I have 19 Grandchildren...10 of them of marriageable age. Only two are married, the remainder being beautiful girls, who think their young lives and beauty will last forever. They still have their "T-Bird," and are having fun.

If you believe what they do, when you reach your eighties and don't have any family to comfort and love you and to whom you would provide comfort and love, you sadly will learn you are only here a short time. Make the best of it by creating a loving family.

Wealth and fame are a illusive substitute.

• JMH Provo, UT
    Dec. 20, 2013 1:56 p.m.

Choosing Hillary Clinton was an obvious political statement. It is not secret that Walters loves the Clintons and would like to see another one in the White House.

To those that think Bill and Hillary are role models you only need to look at their marriage. It was a business arrangement. The only issue they had was Bill getting caught and putting it out in the public eye. Hillary carries a lot of baggage (Brent) and she will have to answer, should she run, for where she was during Benghazi and why she did not do more. And one more point, you don't elect someone just because it is fascinating and groundbreaking, look where it got us last time.

• NeilT Clearfield, UT
    Dec. 20, 2013 2:33 p.m.

I have been married and divorced twice. I have been a step-father, never had children of my own. Now I am single and alone. This is not the situation I envisioned for myself. A lot of posters on here seem eager to criticize and find fault with others who may not share their faith or political views. Judge not lest ye be judged was the counsel Jesus gave.

• K Mchenry, IL
    Dec. 20, 2013 2:52 p.m.

She adopted at an older age. She may not have been able to have children earlier than that. Very few people get the exact number of children to raise than they expect.

• aceroinox Farmington, UT
    Dec. 20, 2013 6:15 p.m.

@Brent T.--"little baggage"? I would say Benghazi is baggage enough to give serious pause for thought for anyone considering her for ANY elected office, let alone POTUS. She was smart enough to get out of town before she could be thoroughly grilled on what happened, but based on the facts that have already come out (in spite of the Administration's efforts to keep the whole thing under wraps), I'd say that "baggage" weighs a ton!

• Sophie 62 spring city, UT
    Dec. 20, 2013 11:26 p.m.

You don't know this lady. You don't know her challenges and you don't know her heart. You don't know why she didn't have a bigger family. Maybe she couldn't. Maybe she wasn't very good at being married or maybe she made unfortunate choices in men.
    Almost half of all LDS marriages, even temple marriages, end in divorce and there are often multiple re-marriages as we optimistically try again.
    Even with Family Home Evening and weekly Church, scripture study, date night, etc. Rich or poor or in between. Even good people sometimes fail in their marriages. Our kids still sometimes break our hearts.
    There's no reason to feel smug toward this lady, or judge her. Or Mrs Clinton.
    You think you know everything. You don't.

• Ltrain St. George, UT
    Dec. 21, 2013 7:22 a.m.

Some people commenting on this post need to chill!! It is perfectly ok for people to make jokes about Walters. She is a left winger that has pushed a lot of leftist ideals during her career, so she doesn't get any more of a pass than Rush or Beck. I'm amazed that someone would actually claim that Hillary has " little" baggage. That's pretty much all she does bring to the table. Just because leftist media types don't hold her accountable doesn't mean she's without fault.

• Brent T. Aurora CO Aurora, CO
    Dec. 21, 2013 12:52 p.m.

JMH -- my inference wasn't to endorse a second Clinton into the White House (having not voted for her husband either time), but rather to observe that other voters DO LIKE NOVELTY -- and it does seem very likely that having elected a man because of his color (and this certainly explains Obama 2008), it follows that it will be popular and faddishly politically correct to elect an woman, as well as fascinating to have it be a well liked (whether you or I like her, she is enormously popular) former first lady... interesting resume, name recognition and a connection to someone now regarded as our last well regarded (again, the masses, the media and the historians)POTUS. Yes, I expect her to win. And no, I don't think Benghazi or anything else will be problematic for her. Like Bill, she's got a teflon shell.

• Rustymommy Clovis, NM
    Dec. 23, 2013 12:08 p.m.

Hmmmm....a bigger family? Not very politically correct. Flies in the face of fancier female careers and controlling world population explosion. But I love it!!! Quite a confession from a woman who could have had anything she chose. Too bad she realized it a bit late in life. The rest of us could learn from her belated wisdom.