BYU's Kyle Van Noy named CBSSports.com third-team All-America; Timpview's Xavier Su'a-Filo earns AP second-team honors

Utah's Trevor Reilly and BYU's Uani 'Unga also earn SI.com honorable mention honors

Comments

• 54-10 Salt Lake City, UT
    Dec. 17, 2013 12:15 p.m.

Congratulations to all and good luck in your futures.

• Ifel Of'a-sofa Alpine, Utah
    Dec. 17, 2013 1:04 p.m.

Congrats to all, especially Xavier! He is a beast and has another year to go before the pro's... Best of luck Xav, love watching you play!

• Chris B Salt Lake City, UT
    Dec. 17, 2013 1:43 p.m.

Sure didn't help his draft stock by coming back. Previously he was almost a sure first rounder in my experts draft boards.

Can't find Van Noy in a single first round prediction now.

• Chase Saint George, UT
    Dec. 17, 2013 1:56 p.m.

"But Trevor Reilly had a better year!"
    "But Trevor plays in the Pac-10"
    "But Pac-10 schedule..."
    "But Pac-10 window sticker..."
    "But Moral Vic...tor...y..."

Sigh.

• PAC12Fan South Jordan, UT
    Dec. 17, 2013 1:58 p.m.

I'm a Utah fan that believes Kyle was the best linebacker in the country.

• Chris B Salt Lake City, UT
    Dec. 17, 2013 2:20 p.m.

byu fan posing as Pac 12 fan,

Every expert in the country disagrees with you. But what do they know?

• eastcoastcoug Danbury, CT
    Dec. 17, 2013 2:22 p.m.

@Chris B,

Did you really go out there and research first round predictions? Someone has lots of time on their hands...

• Samwise Salt Lake City, UT
    Dec. 17, 2013 2:25 p.m.

I must agree with Chris B, Van Noy coming back hurt his draft stock. I am a hard core BYU fan and have something of a "man crush" (for lack of a better term) on Van Noy, but I won't argue with facts. I won't say Van Noy necessarily made the wrong decision for himself though. He did find his wife, and I must say she is quite a catch. I think he could still have a good NFL career though, despite not being drafted as high as he would have been. Congrats to all with ties to the great state of Utah who made All American lists at one level or another (even being an honorable mention is quite an accomplishment). Good luck to them all in their pursuit to make it at the next level. And as always, Go Cougars!

• Y Grad / Y Dad Richland, WA
    Dec. 17, 2013 2:39 p.m.

Chris, you don't understand, and i expect that you never will.

Kyle plays for a program that values other things more than winning or losing. It may be a surprise to you that Kyle values other things more than position in the draft.

I guess you also don't understand why BYU fans value a program, a coach and players whose values are foreign to you, but we do. We value them more than a big name conference, or the accolades that come (but not necessarily) from playing in such a conference.

But we do.

• Two For Flinching Salt Lake City, UT
    Dec. 17, 2013 2:47 p.m.

"But Moral Vic...tor...y..."

20-13. Nothing moral about it.

• Brave Sir Robin San Diego, CA
    Dec. 17, 2013 2:52 p.m.

@Chase

"But moral vic...tor...y"

No, I assure you, Utah's win over BYU was an actual victory, not a moral one.

• From Ted's Head Orem, UT
    Dec. 17, 2013 3:16 p.m.

I'm a KVN fan and yet I feel that he had too many missed tackles this year to go in the first round. Maybe it's the increased focus from opposing teams or he's just generally in the spotlight more this year, but I'm not surprised with a 3rd team nod instead of 1st.

• Chamberlain Salt Lake City, UT
    Dec. 17, 2013 3:25 p.m.

Chris B

Do you enjoy hating so much?

• DRay Roy, UT
    Dec. 17, 2013 3:36 p.m.

Kyle Van Noy was focus more of opponents this year, and he did seem at times to be coasting on his laurels on top of that...he will no doubt be humbled and work harder for whoever he ends up playing NFL with...Detroit with Ziggy would be good. He is iconic, heroic for his perseverance and character, representing LDS Church so very well. Congratulations to all those who were great at this level, not all will succeed at the next, be interesting to see who is.

• Chris B Salt Lake City, UT
    Dec. 17, 2013 3:41 p.m.

Y Grad,

You act like its an either or thing. It's not.

Don't use the byu "values" as some sort of excuse for what happens on the field.

People can have success on the field AND be good people, standing for things, valuing things more than football.

Funny you mention that byu has values that are more important than a big name conference. But that's exactly my point.

The University of Utah(and many others) have just as strong and correct values as byu and yet try to be as successful on the field as possible.

Why act like you can't be a university full of value AND a top notch football program?

• Pipes Salt Lake City, UT
    Dec. 17, 2013 3:54 p.m.

@Chris B
    Interesting since the first 3 mock drafts I saw all had him projected in the first round. Your experts must be the same ones that predicted Utah in the Rose bowl.

• eastcoastcoug Danbury, CT
    Dec. 17, 2013 3:53 p.m.

I just don't get why some people find joy in catching someone else (a little bit) down on their performance or luck. It says something pathetic about us when you see a student athlete who has overcome great personal challenges to be where he is and the rest of us want to say he is something less than he is. Say what you will, but KVN is one of the best linebackers in the entire USA. And a great kid to boot. Who are we to say anything negative about that? My hat is off to all these student athletes, regardless of what jersey they wear.

I just get tired of all the carping little comments. Let's grow up, people.

• MyPerspective Salt Lake City, UT
    Dec. 17, 2013 3:59 p.m.

Y Grad / Y Dad

"Kyle plays for a program that values other things more than winning or losing...

But we do."

How sweet. I am a faithful member of the same church you attend and I have to tell you...posts like this one make me laugh and they make me angry. You people (byu fans) do a lot of talking before games. I've read your posts, Y Grad / Y Dad, and they are as vile, caustic, and disrespectful as any. When the game is over and byu players and fans walk away with their tails between their legs and heads hanging down, you pull out the "values" card.

Values should be lived daily 100% of the time not something you wrap around yourself when you want to feel better.

Congratulations to these fine players.

Go Utes!

• Ed Grady Idaho Falls, ID
    Dec. 17, 2013 4:12 p.m.

Finally - someone threw Trevor Reilly a bone.

• Ernest T. Bass Bountiful, UT
    Dec. 17, 2013 6:15 p.m.

Everyone knows the best team won every bit of that game except scores and scores don't count as much.

• eastcoastcoug Danbury, CT
    Dec. 17, 2013 6:28 p.m.

@Chicagoborn,

No BYU's "program" doesn't value those things any more than Utah's or anyone else's program. But a few fans who forget who they represent and that these are just kids playing games...sometimes do.

Let's stop the carping.

• U 90 Corona, CA
    Dec. 17, 2013 7:06 p.m.

chicagoborn and My Perspective,

Well said. I could not agree more with your remarks

• U 90 Corona, CA
    Dec. 17, 2013 7:51 p.m.

First, congrats to KVN. He should have a long and prosperous NFL career. I'm glad he will not be on the field next time Utah plays BYU.

Second, this all brings back memories of when K Whit said before the Utah-BYU game that preparing for KVN was really no different than preparing for some of the defensive studs in the PAC12. Y fans went bonkers over that comment saying that Whit was dissing KVN. Whit has been vindicated since 6 PAC12 players were selected to the Associated Press all america defensive team (1st, 2nd, 3rd teams). Those lists did not include KVN.

• truthsandwich RANDOLPH, UT
    Dec. 17, 2013 7:53 p.m.

Y Grad / Dad

Really?

"Well we lost again, but probably because we have better values than you. You wouldn't understand. Also we're more humble."

Most U fans I know are LDS, and value other things more than winning and loosing too. I don't believe having good values is exclusive to the LDS church, either. As an active Mormon who cheers for the Utes over the Cougars, I find comments like yours to be embarrassing. I love BYU, and several of the guys on the team are my good friends, and I know Chris B's comments can be insufferable. But please think about the message it sends when you act like you are better than everyone on a personal/values level because of the team you cheer for.

Congrats to Van Noy! He's a beast, he represented the state well, and he deserves this honor. I am happy he never beat my Utes, but I would love to see him kill it in the League.

GO UTES!

• rlsintx Plano, TX
    Dec. 17, 2013 9:10 p.m.

Good to see the kids with local connections get national recognition. Props to all of them.

• eagle Provo, UT
    Dec. 17, 2013 10:13 p.m.

Van Noy didn't have as good as year but I'm not sure his draft status was all that hurt. I think third team and Honorable Mention seems a bit low but he didn't produce like last year. He was a better player than Manti Te'o last year and should have been the Defensive Player of the Year for the Independent teams.

• Y Grad / Y Dad Richland, WA
    Dec. 17, 2013 11:25 p.m.

Well, fun to see that I garnered so many people who agree with me and so many that don't. Seems to have cut it done the middle.

The problem with U fans, (over generalizing, I know) is you play both sides of the fence so well. "BYU will never be a serious contender because of the honor code, because the coach doesn't make winning his first priority." "But wait, our values are every bit as good as yours."

I figure I spend about a third of my time on these boards trying to be clever, a third lashing out at people who are probably pretty much like me but wearing the wrong color, and third trying to be the person I know I should be. For most of you who are LDS, I figure we aren't so different, to one degree or another. To those who are not LDS, I don't know. You tell me.

Here's the bottom line: KVN came back not to try to improve his draft stock but to do something he valued more. What's wrong with that?

• StGtoSLC SALT LAKE CITY, UT
    Dec. 18, 2013 2:06 a.m.

Van Noy's drop in production will not really hurt him much in the long run with the way rookie contracts are structured now. He's still the same player with the same potential (maybe even a little bit better) as he was last year, but he had some things exposed this year. First, he'll need to get a bit stronger and bigger to be a 3 down NFL backer. He does a decent job chipping and scraping off blocks now, but at 230-235, if a quality NFL guard or tackle keys on him in the run game, I don't think it's much of a contest. And if he tries running around blocks, like he has been able to get away with a lot in college, he'll likely do worse for his defense. He's very disruptive, and will always be a headache in blitz pickup, but I saw him miss A LOT of tackles this year. He's got the potential to be a very exciting player, but I don't know if he's enough of a sure thing to go before the 30th pick (the most popular place I've seen him projected).

• StGtoSLC SALT LAKE CITY, UT
    Dec. 18, 2013 2:08 a.m.

Y Grad: "KVN came back not to try to improve his draft stock but to do something he valued more. What's wrong with that?"

That much I'll agree with you on. More power to him.

• golfrUte SALT LAKE CITY, UT
    Dec. 18, 2013 8:35 a.m.

I thoroughly enjoyed watching KVN play. Great talent and seems like a classy guy. I hope he has a long, healthy and prosperous career.

I will never criticize one's decision of when to go pro, when to stay in school, etc. I'm sure Kyle has his reasons and I hope it will work out well for him.

Go Utes.

• Sports Are Great Salt Lake City, UT
    Dec. 18, 2013 9:22 a.m.

ChicagBorn -
    "Does the BYU athletic program value throwing trash at the referees as they come off the field. Does the BYU athletic program value throwing trash on the basketball court?"

Tell me Chicago, does the Utah athletic department value failing multiple drug tests, assaulting your wives, or getting DUI's while driving the wrong way on a highway? The self righteousness on the hill has never been more prevalent.

I suppose you would suggest the Naval Academy doesn't have strong values if a cadet every did something wrong huh?

• Utes home for the holidays Sandy, UT
    Dec. 18, 2013 9:39 a.m.

@truthsandwhich: "I don't believe having good values is exclusive to the LDS church, either" And when did anyone say it is? Ute fans struggle with the simple concept that its possible for an institution to TRY(admittedly doesn't always succeed) to teach/preach/act with high values without it being solely a religious reason and without claims of religious superiority.

All these "I'm a faithful Mormon and I'm a ute fan" are just hilarious. As if someone had ever suggested that that can't be the case. Army, Navy, and Air Force academies all certainly teach/preach/try to act with high values, and its not because of religion. Ute fans need to stop getting to bent out of shape anytime byu fans defend byu being a different institution. That's not the same as claiming religious superiority. Just as its not arrogance when the Army, Navy, and Air Force academies talks/stress importance of high values. Stop with the victim card Utes.

• Ken Sandy, UT
    Dec. 18, 2013 9:46 a.m.

• BeSmart Cheyenne, WY
    Dec. 18, 2013 10:24 a.m.

@ Ken
    There is a big difference between Van Noy this year and last.
    Last year Ansah was a playmaker as well, so he was not doubled, tripled, or chipped as much.
    For those of us who played and understand the game it was obvious he was doubled often or chip blocked often because lets face it BYUs D-line was not as good this year.
    Most mock drafts I have seen have him as a first round pick, he was projected 2nd round last year.
    He is a playmaker that is why people game planned around him. I am not claiming he is the best player by any means but he is really good.
    Good luck KVN

• evansrichdm west jordan , UT
    Dec. 18, 2013 10:46 a.m.

BYU fan, but went to the U, but am from out of the sate. For LDS outside of the state BYU is the city on the hill so to speak. To go to a school that was so anit-byu it many times came across as anti LDS. It also did not help that the U also had many anit military view and protest and a few got in my face when I was in the uniform while in the military. Still I am graceful to have gone to the U and the education that I got.

The whole we are better then you because of whatever reason needs to stop. So if the U wins does that make utah fans more faithful members of the LDS church and the same goes for BYU fans. You all know that answer to that.

What should be and has been by the more grown up fans is that KVN was given an honor for his good football playing and skills. Why all the fighting and we are better then you because?
    Good luck KVN I will miss you playing at BYU but look forward to seeing you in the NFL.

• Ken Sandy, UT
    Dec. 18, 2013 10:57 a.m.

BeSmart, as someone who has played, I can tell you that he is not first round talent. "most" mock drafts show him a first round pick? How about you give us 3-4 respected CURRENT mock boards that have him first round. Again, I'll stress the importance of CURRENT mock draft

• Y Grad / Y Dad Richland, WA
    Dec. 18, 2013 11:30 a.m.

Ken
    Sandy, UT

"Y Grad, Or could it be he DID come back to improve his draft stock but he failed? And now you're just using that as an excuse to deflect the fact he's not as good as byu fans think he is?"

In the spirit of civility...

Perhaps, but most people talk about opportunity cost in such a decision. How many linebackers in the draft this year, how many next year, how much MORE could I improve my stock by staying another year, what is the risk of career ending injury, on and on.

He MAY have purely made a business decision. I really don't think you beleive that.

• chicagoborn Salt Lake City, UT
    Dec. 18, 2013 12:27 p.m.

A BYU fan telling someone else to stop playing the victim card? Hilarious.

• KH Holladay, UT
    Dec. 18, 2013 3:36 p.m.

Why is it that no byu fan ever talks about having higher values than another person after they win? After they win, it's "we're the better football team." Only after a loss they say, "well we have better values than you". We've heard about the "better values" from byu fans for 4 years now.

Here's a thought: Just because a team beats byu, it doesn't mean they have lesser values.

• SlopJ30 St Louis, MO
    Dec. 18, 2013 3:48 p.m.

I don't see how anyone's feeling sorry for Van Noy. What's the big deal? He might go in second round instead of first? At first that's less money, but you still have to perform to earn that second big contract. He'll get drafted, make good money, and then we'll see if he can blossom in to a star, be merely a steady contributor, or flame out. He's got the carrot in front of him, and if anything a slight fall in regard might help him focus a bit.

• Bastiatarian TUCSON, AZ
    Dec. 18, 2013 4:49 p.m.

>Go Utes!

Yes, please do. And stay gone.

• kfbob SALT LAKE CITY, UT
    Dec. 18, 2013 8:34 p.m.

@truthsandwich

BYU athletic dept mission is missionary work. Plain and simple. I have sat in locker rooms as BYU presidents and LDS General authorities spoke exactly that mission. Most of the time they have been proud of our team in victory or defeat because of the outstanding way that we represented the Faith. Utah utes doesn't represent the LDS Church. Some of their players do (fewer and fewer every year I might add). BYU is different the most important thing is to represent, not win. Winning is a very close second. I would rather support a team that represents my faith. I also support Oregon being a 5 generation Oregonian. But they don't really represent anyone except for Nike? Don't be offended about BYU mission or BYU athletic dept mission they are the same. Develop Young men and women and help spread the gospel of Jesus Christ. Your are a Ute fan that's great. They represent the University of Utah. Great. I happen to believe that BYU represents much more.

• GD Syracuse, UT
    Dec. 19, 2013 3:03 p.m.

BYU fans gripe about whatever. Surprising thing is so do Ute fans. Comments on this article prove that. Congrats to all of the student athletes. It takes a lot of work and a little luck to go to next level.

• orem_man_am_i orem, UT
    Dec. 22, 2013 11:33 p.m.

Mock drafts don't mean a thing.

I have to admit van noy did not have as good of season as last two years. Many reasons for that. 1- Ziggy graduated 2-opposing teams concentrated on him 3-better competition

If he is good the nfl combines will validate his worth.

I wish him much success.