Utah basketball: Ute sophomore Jordan Loveridge nets honors

Comments

• ???? Murray, UT
    Dec. 16, 2013 2:21 p.m.

This is so exciting. It makes me forget we aren't going to a bowl for the second year in a row. It is the little victories.

• Christopher B Ogden, UT
    Dec. 16, 2013 2:30 p.m.

Congratulations to the best player in Utah, who plays for the best team in Utah, Jordan Loveridge and the Pac 12 Running Utes.

• Big 12 Call Yet? Ogden, UT
    Dec. 16, 2013 2:34 p.m.

This is a well deserved honor for the best player in Utah.

I am starting to get worried however.

We have 3 top 25 teams we'll play twice each in conference play, including the #1 team in the nation.

Go Utes!

• 2013 Ute Seniors SWEEP byU 4-0 Ogden, UT
    Dec. 16, 2013 2:37 p.m.

????,

You're right, walloping byu really is a little victory.

Big margin of victory, but over a little opponent.

• Big 12 Call Yet? Ogden, UT
    Dec. 16, 2013 2:37 p.m.

And at the beginning of the year who believed that Utah had the best chance of any local team to make it to the big dance?

Bring on some true big time programs like Arizona, UCLA, Oregon, and our rival and top 25 Colorado!

byu and usu's seasons are meanwhile essentially over!

LOL

• Magna Ute Fan Magna, UT
    Dec. 16, 2013 2:51 p.m.

That's some high praise for a great dude! Keep up the good work Jordan.

• MyPerspective Salt Lake City, UT
    Dec. 16, 2013 3:01 p.m.

Congratulations to Loveridge on this well deserved recognition. When you consider where the Utah program was at when he signed on, it's clear this young man saw what the Utes could become and decided to be a part of it. They have a long way to go but it is indeed a remarkable journey.

It should also me noted that he has some serious talent around him.

Way to go, Utes!

• Ken Sandy, UT
    Dec. 16, 2013 3:16 p.m.

Lets not get too excited. Lets all remember what byu fans keep telling us, our non-conference schedule is so horrible that we still don't know how well we are prepared to face good teams, other than the fact we took well respected and NCAA tournament team Boise down to the wire.

We haven't yet beaten a single good team all year. We wont face a real test until we meet #1 Arizona. And something tells me this team is more than ready.

• Chris B Salt Lake City, UT
    Dec. 16, 2013 3:20 p.m.

Anyone wearing blue Saturday got a special "welcome" from me. It consisted of "Just like football" all night screamed in their direction all night long.

I "welcomed" byu fans as soon as I saw them and didn't let up all night. It was a great night and a great win for the most prestigious program in the state of Utah.

• Chris B Salt Lake City, UT
    Dec. 16, 2013 3:22 p.m.

Isn't it funny that with how arrogant some other fans have been lately, guess who the last team was from Utah to truly do something in the big dance and win a sweet 16 game?

The University of Utah Running Utes

The last team in Utah to win an elite 8 game?

The University of Utah Runnin utes

The last team in Utah to win a final 4 game

The Univesity of Utah Runnin Utes

Some teams think winning 1 game is going "deep in the tournament"

LOL!

I can't think of a single powerhouse basketball program that has ZERO sweet 16 wins in the last 20 years.

Can anyone else ever give me one?

LOL!

• BeSmart Cheyenne, WY
    Dec. 16, 2013 3:36 p.m.

Wow Jordan Loveridge is a great player
    but someone has a very unhealthy obsession.
    How many personalities do U have.
    Merry Christmas

• motorbike Cottonwood Heights, UT
    Dec. 16, 2013 4:01 p.m.

Chris B

You seriously take the time to login, comment, logout, login as another handle, comment, logout, login as yet another handle and comment some more????

Secondly, I hope you spent some time cheering for Utah between all the heckling of BYU fans you're so very proud of ... pretty sure I'm not the only other Ute fan that would prefer you take that approach ... I'm more that certain the team would prefer that as well.

• Sports Nutz Smithfield, UT
    Dec. 16, 2013 4:09 p.m.

big 12, So the basketball seasons for USU and byu are over, with games still to play? When a season is over, the team has no chance of playing another game....like the utes football team.

• Brave Sir Robin San Diego, CA
    Dec. 16, 2013 4:35 p.m.

????, hopefully going to that bowl helps you forget about the scoreboard....the one that says Utah beat BYU for the 4th straight time.

The fact that BYU is going to a bowl game while Utah is not is further proof that the best teams aren't necessarily the ones who go to bowl games. It also shows that scheduling down is rewarded in college football.

• Chris B Salt Lake City, UT
    Dec. 16, 2013 4:40 p.m.

motorbike,

And U?

• ThisIsMyScreenName! Herriman, UT
    Dec. 16, 2013 4:54 p.m.

"He was never a top 100 recruit" you say?

It took me about 54 seconds to find Jordan's ESPN recruiting profile. He was ranked #97 by ESPN. And I didn't even check the other recruiting sites. I just figured ESPN is the most recognizable.

• Uteology East Salt Lake City, Utah
    Dec. 16, 2013 5:02 p.m.

"Loveridge was honored by the conference after leading the Utes to victories over Idaho State and BYU."

And who would have thought last week that Idaho State would be the tougher opponent?

Congrats JL!

• Joe Schmoe Orem, UT
    Dec. 16, 2013 6:19 p.m.

Everybody back on the bandwagon! We beat one decent team so far this season! Now what happens when we lose EVERY pac 12 game?

• StGtoSLC SALT LAKE CITY, UT
    Dec. 16, 2013 6:27 p.m.

A certain fan's analysis after the Boise game: "Loveridge is limited, he is a good player but I don't think he'll ever be a star. He can be a very good #2 player but if they are banking on him to be their top dog they will never advance beyond ok."

Well, being "ok" is good enough to destroy a "VERY GOOD" BYU team, I suppose.

• Two For Flinching Salt Lake City, UT
    Dec. 17, 2013 2:47 a.m.

@ Joe Schmoe

Didn't lose EVERY Pac-12 game last year, or the year before for that matter. What makes you think Utah will regress that much when conf. play rolls around?

• Magna Ute Fan Magna, UT
    Dec. 17, 2013 7:40 a.m.

Two For Flinching- I'm not sure if it's desperate wishful thinking, forgetfulness, or merely said for dramatic affect. Some folks just want to pretend that Utah didn't win four games in a row last year to end the season before their final loss to Oregon in the semi-finals of the PAC12 tourny. That exciting run included wins over Oregon State, Oregon, USC, and Cal. Two of those teams were ranked at the time.

It shows that some impressive progress was made during the course of the season last year. But some folks didn't want to make note of it. I am stoked to see the continued progress this year. I am fully on board the Coach K bandwagon. Its great to have a coach who is committed to building a program the right way, a program we can be proud of.

• Mick Murray, Utah
    Dec. 17, 2013 9:04 a.m.

Utah Fans-

Be careful what you say, it might just come true. We don't really know what you can do away from home. And you could loose 90% of your conference games. "Just like football."

• GZE SALT LAKE CITY, UT
    Dec. 17, 2013 9:09 a.m.

Wow. Is it really that hard to say, "Congratulations, Jordan. You deserve it."

• atl134 Salt Lake City, UT
    Dec. 17, 2013 11:06 a.m.

@Big 12 Call Yet?
    "I'm just not sure a non-conference schedule with teams like Evergreen and byu are getting us ready for Pac 12 play. "

Heh, funny, but in all seriously BYU is likely a top 50 team, as is Boise. Utah still has questions to address (0-1 in road games being the most glaring though at least the loss was a close one to said Boise team).

"It's now clear that we are the best team in the state, and its really not even close."

I'd still rank BYU ahead of Utah for now as difficult as it is to do so as a Utah student particularly when handed that blowout win. A few weeks into conference play we can get a better read on things (will Utah be above .500 in conference play? will BYU start accumulating bad losses?). Utah has the potential to be a better team than BYU which is way more than I expected for this season.

• Chris B Salt Lake City, UT
    Dec. 17, 2013 1:45 p.m.

Sure was fun to scream "just like football" at anyone in blue Saturday night. We had a group of byu fans by us and we sure let them have it.

Looking back at my 77-69 prediction for Utah to win, it is clear I way overestimated byu's "talent"

• motorbike Cottonwood Heights, UT
    Dec. 17, 2013 2:01 p.m.

Chris B

Re: "I've been to every home game but one so far this basketball season. And I don't plan on missing any more the rest of the year(work permitting). And U?"
    __________

Other than 7 years spent away from the state of Utah I've had season tickets since the Jerry Pimm era when I was 10 years old. And yes even at that age I'd say those tickets were all mine being that my parents had no interest in sports and bought me tickets so I could go with a friends family ... that's how much I liked the Utes.

I guess I could also mention that I spent one full year with the team under Majerus.

And U?

• Chris B Salt Lake City, UT
    Dec. 17, 2013 2:31 p.m.

motorbike,

So I take it you've been to every single home game this year?

Go Utes!

• motorbike Cottonwood Heights, UT
    Dec. 17, 2013 4:01 p.m.

Chris B

I don't miss games unless I'm traveling, at which time I login to my slingbox app so I can watch my own tv (Pac 12 network or whatever other channel). I watched the 1st half of the BYU game on my ipad in the Vegas airport with a crowd gathered around me.

I also have season tickets to football, do U?

By the way, what's your point? It sounds like you feel entitled to do all the disrespectful heckling you wish simply because you've been to every game but one this season ... sorry but I fail to see how that makes it okay.

Again, you'd be wise to focus your efforts on cheering for the Utes versus spewing venom at our rival. Trust me, it doesn't do anything for the guys on the court when you're yelling at the opposing fans ... it's just obnoxious and embarrassing to those of us who possess a shred of decency.

Don't get me wrong, chanting "just like football" with the crowd is good fun, but then that sounds a lot different than what you were boasting of.

• Qwest Perfected Salt Lake City, UT
    Dec. 17, 2013 11:50 p.m.

I'm happy for the recognition that Jordan received from last weeks games. He has been putting in a lot of extra time to his game constantly determined to get better.

One thing coug fans should take note of, Loveridge averaged nearly 5 assists per game last week. I'm not sure if byu had that many as a team last Saturday night.

Coach K has this team moving in the right direction for sure but it really is too early to tell how good they are because the level of their opponents haven't been nearly as good what they will see in conference play.

Here's hoping for continued success.

Go Utes!

• Chris B Salt Lake City, UT
    Dec. 18, 2013 2:14 p.m.

motorbike,

Yes of course I have season football tickets, I've also been to the last 5 bowl games. Have U? And I've been to more Ute basketball games this year than almost anyone on these boards, yourself included. Besides, why do you care if I go to the football games. I suggest you start caring about the basketball team and leave football for a few months.

Go Utes!

• StGtoSLC SALT LAKE CITY, UT
    Dec. 18, 2013 3:03 p.m.

Chris B less than a year ago: "I just don't care about Utah basketball."

• PAC man Anaheim, CA
    Dec. 20, 2013 10:34 p.m.

Loveridge being named PAC Player of the Week for helping Utah defeat a WCC team shows just how much respect the rest of the PAC has for BYU!

-----------

StGtoSLC

You hit the nail on the head. Christy is the biggest fair weather Ute basketball fan on the planet.