BYU, Utah basketball: Fast start lifts Utes past Cougars, 81-64

Comments

• Tom in CA Vallejo, CA
    Dec. 14, 2013 8:05 p.m.

Why is BYU TV not televising this game?? Anyone??

• Tom in CA Vallejo, CA
    Dec. 14, 2013 8:19 p.m.

This game is by far utah's most important game of the season. funny isn't it? This will be the last time the HC will be sold out until BYU comes back to town.

• BeSmart Cheyenne, WY
    Dec. 14, 2013 8:29 p.m.

Loveridge is playing really well.
    But that no call with collinsworth was even mocked by Pac-12 announcers.
    Good luck to both teams.

• Big 12 Call Yet? Ogden, UT
    Dec. 14, 2013 8:34 p.m.

Told ya!!

Stry blaming the PAC 12 refs now.

Tators, where at you!?

Utes win!

• Big 12 Call Yet? Ogden, UT
    Dec. 14, 2013 8:35 p.m.

Ouch!

A Utah team with a HORRIBLE Rpi is taking byu to the woodshed.

Will the NCAA committee like a loss to a horrible RPI Utah team?

Lol!

Bubble..burst!

Your season is over!!

• 2013 Ute Seniors SWEEP byU 4-0 Ogden, UT
    Dec. 14, 2013 8:36 p.m.

Like I have been saying all week,

The team with more point is the better team!

PAC 12 utes dominate lowly wcc byU

• tlaulu Taylorsville, Utah
    Dec. 14, 2013 8:39 p.m.

Tom.

I think it's because the game is being played at Utah. If it was in Provo BYU-TV would televise it.

• Rock Of The Marne Phoenix, AZ
    Dec. 14, 2013 8:38 p.m.

Tom in CA, the games against Arizona and UCLA have been sold-out for awhile. The delusion of the fans of WCC program in Provo, as to their importance, is amazing. Tom tell me what you think, will it be another 30 years between Sweet 16 appearances for BYU? Such NCAA prowess. Based on the weak tourney record vice Utah's good tourney record I laugh as Y fans try to paint their team a basketball power and mock the Utes who have achieved successes they can only dream (and be envious) of. if these are the halcyon days of BYU Basketball, there is sure not much to show for it. Go Utes.

• ekute Layton, UT
    Dec. 14, 2013 8:40 p.m.

"utah's most important game of the season" ha ha, are you amusing yourself.

byu is getting exposed on the PAC 12 network.

• Big 12 Call Yet? Ogden, UT
    Dec. 14, 2013 8:43 p.m.

I am screaming "just like football" to anyone in blue here.

The look on byu fans faces is priceless!!

The prestigious PAC 12 utes, the best team in Utah!

Domination!

Lol!

• Tom in CA Vallejo, CA
    Dec. 14, 2013 8:47 p.m.

Marne -

11 of the last 12. BYU leads the all-time series. Nuff said. lol.

• ekute Layton, UT
    Dec. 14, 2013 9:03 p.m.

Tom, scoreboard, lol.

• BeSmart Cheyenne, WY
    Dec. 14, 2013 9:03 p.m.

Good job to the utes in the first half they are playing great and the energy is awesome.
    CB
    The utes are playing really well what position do you play?
    Enough hate brother you need to get some help with all the hate (gonna give you a heart attack), Coach K has a great game plan for the Y I doubt you have much to do withit.
    At least some of us played high level sports and understand that Utah is playing really well, but they don't seem superior athletically.
    If Utah continues to hit the 3 like they are they will beat BYU by over 10, and I will give them credit for it.

• Uteology East Salt Lake City, Utah
    Dec. 14, 2013 9:04 p.m.

At the half... Utah 42 BYU 29.

Stats of the half:
    Utah's Bench - 16 points, 10 rebounds, 3 blocks, 1 steal.
    BYU's Bench - 2 points, 2 rebounds, 1 block, 0 steals.

So where's BYU's depth?

BYU is 5-12 in free throws, Utah 4-4 so I guess no crying about refs so far?

I have to admit, I like Mika's game.

• Christopher B Ogden, UT
    Dec. 14, 2013 9:22 p.m.

Where is my byu friend tators?

Your silence is deafening

The NCAA selection committee will NOT like a loss to a low rpi team like Utah

Utah essentially just ENDED byu's season!

Lol!

Your season is over!

Told ya so

• 2013 Ute Seniors SWEEP byU 4-0 Ogden, UT
    Dec. 14, 2013 9:25 p.m.

Exposed!

That precious rpi is about to get a tune up!

Courtesy of the PAC 12 utes.

Tators, where are you?

• Alpiner Alpine, UT
    Dec. 14, 2013 9:27 p.m.

Utah has cracked the code on how to defend against BYU. Put all 5 guys on the person who has the ball. BYU doesn't run an offense, it is usually 1 on 5.

• Chris B Salt Lake City, UT
    Dec. 14, 2013 9:28 p.m.

Here at the game, and I am letting the byu fans by us hear it loud and clear.

My guess is they don't last til the game is over.

Lol!

Utah > byu

PAC 12 > Wcc

# 8 PAC 12 Utah > #2 wcc byU

I love this!

• Chris B Salt Lake City, UT
    Dec. 14, 2013 9:36 p.m.

My 77-69 prediction was too generous for byWHO

• StGtoSLC SALT LAKE CITY, UT
    Dec. 14, 2013 9:46 p.m.

No play on the ball there. I like Mika's offensive game, but there's no place for that. Play ball!

• ekute Layton, UT
    Dec. 14, 2013 9:47 p.m.

Well byu "fans", should Mika be suspended?

• ekute Layton, UT
    Dec. 14, 2013 9:50 p.m.

Just like in football, byu is a learning a lesson about the PAC 12.

• StGtoSLC SALT LAKE CITY, UT
    Dec. 14, 2013 9:52 p.m.

This cupcake schedule obviously puts Utah at a disadvantage against good teams.

• Uteology East Salt Lake City, Utah
    Dec. 14, 2013 9:55 p.m.

BYU's getting Jimmered!

• Rock Of The Marne Phoenix, AZ
    Dec. 14, 2013 9:56 p.m.

Tom it took the implosion of the Ute program for BYU to recently catch up and take a paltry four game (soon to be three) lead in the series. The nadir of the Utah Basketball program has passed so I expect within the decade the Utes will have evened up the series or retaken the lead. Now football, where Utah's series lead is 22 and growing; that's a series lead for you, not a momentary blip.

• ekute Layton, UT
    Dec. 14, 2013 10:02 p.m.

Well cougsndawgs, I told you not to mark it down, didn't I? Better record and head to head winner. What say you now. More crow?

• JohnInSLC Cottonwood Heights, UT
    Dec. 14, 2013 10:02 p.m.

Great, now Ute fans have to endure y "fans" eventually explain at length--ad nauseum--how RPI, Sagarin, etc really means the cougs are better than their showing on the scoreboard.

*sigh*

• Uteology East Salt Lake City, Utah
    Dec. 14, 2013 10:04 p.m.

I love our defense!

Two more warm up games before the real schedule begins.

Can't wait to see how DW, JL, and Co. stack-up against #1 Arizona, #15 Oregon, #21 Colorado, UCLA, and Arizona State.

Go UTES!

• red.diehard Central, UT
    Dec. 14, 2013 10:04 p.m.

Looking forward to conference!

• Uncle Rico Provo, UT
    Dec. 14, 2013 10:09 p.m.

Let me guess, sometimes the better team loses by 20

Football, Womens Basketball, now Men's Basketball, maybe BYU will win at something... maybe Gymnastics (good luck).

• pocyUte Pocatello, ID
    Dec. 14, 2013 10:12 p.m.

So

2 things we learned:

Idaho State is better than BYU
    Utah still has yet to be tested

Go UTES!!!

• truthsandwich RANDOLPH, UT
    Dec. 14, 2013 10:12 p.m.

A lot of arrogance just got taken to the woodshed.

• Elmer Fudd Sandy, Utah
    Dec. 14, 2013 10:17 p.m.

I guess after this 81-64 blow out loss for the Cougies! DNews will now stop with all these silly rankings of all three conferences now that BYU lost to big brother.

BYU has been exposed!

• U-tah WEST VALLEY CITY, UT
    Dec. 14, 2013 10:17 p.m.

Kepp the rivalry alive. It doesn't matter what sport, it is a big W for the UTES.

West Coast # 2 versed the # 10 in the PAC 12.
    OUCH, that was a pounding.

Got to love it.

GO UTES!!!!!

• Uncle Rico Provo, UT
    Dec. 14, 2013 10:16 p.m.

In basketball and football, Utah is now 5-0 vs in State opponents.
    Best in state in Basketball and Football.

• stampederus Ephraim, UT
    Dec. 14, 2013 10:17 p.m.

Only one team showed up for tonight's game and unfortunately it was not BYU. Have to start the streak against the Utes next year.

• Uteology East Salt Lake City, Utah
    Dec. 14, 2013 10:18 p.m.

Hey, one game doesn't make a season. Unfortunately BYU only has 3 games left in the season: Oregon and Gonzaga twice.

So is WCC a one seed league?

Utah had its worst shooting game of the year and shot 8 less free throws yet dominated BYU the entire game.

Any BYU fan want to debate RPI and depth tonight?

As of today, the two best players in the state are Wright and Loveridge.

• ekute Layton, UT
    Dec. 14, 2013 10:18 p.m.

red.diehard,

I'll bet byu is looking forward to their conference too. lol.

• Who am I sir? Cottonwood Heights, UT
    Dec. 14, 2013 10:19 p.m.

The game wasn't fair. Five individuals against a team of five players.

• Y Ask Y Provo, UT
    Dec. 14, 2013 10:22 p.m.

I think I'm going to be sick.

I expected this from football, but not on the hardwood!

Oooooh, I'm feeling queasy.

• Utes Fan Salt Lake City, UT
    Dec. 14, 2013 10:22 p.m.

WOO HOO!

Loved this game!

Utah Utes Basketball is back!!!

• A1994 Centerville, UT
    Dec. 14, 2013 10:26 p.m.

I'd say Utah basketball is back. The PAC 12 (with the exception of Arizona and Oregon) is not great. Utah should do well. I'd love to see Utes go up to Logan to play the Aggies. Oh well.

• Dave S Holladay, UT
    Dec. 14, 2013 10:29 p.m.

Best chant of the night "just like football"!! Way to dominate Ute!!

• Rational Salt Lake City, UT
    Dec. 14, 2013 10:30 p.m.

@ ThomasJefferson

"I was sitting next to some ASU fans and they even recognized that BYU's inside/ouside game was a bust and they should go to their strength, Haws/Carlino!"

Didn't see the game, but looking at the box score it seems Carlino did what he does most of the time BYU loses -- shot them out of the game.

• truthsandwich RANDOLPH, UT
    Dec. 14, 2013 10:29 p.m.

Don't worry cougars, there's always basketba.. wait...

Ballroom dance?

• truthsandwich RANDOLPH, UT
    Dec. 14, 2013 10:33 p.m.

That Pac 12 talent was just too much!

Again.

Ouch.

• UteNationAlum Cottonwood Heights, UT
    Dec. 14, 2013 10:35 p.m.

Another classic game of byu beating themselves. They missed free throws, missed shots, turned the ball over, and got ejected. Back to the drawing board.

GO UTES!!!

• ekute Layton, UT
    Dec. 14, 2013 10:35 p.m.

ThomasJefferson,

If I was a byu fan I wouldn't brag about my conference affiliation either. How much bigger is byu than any school in the wcc? And they're second best, at best. One and out last year. lol.

Go Utes. Go PAC 12. Go UW.

• yankees27 Heber, Utah
    Dec. 14, 2013 10:38 p.m.

ThomasJefferson- So when the Y fans are constantly on these boards mocking the U as a PAC 10.2 school, or worse, bottom feeders of the PAC 12, were not supposed to use the "Moniker"? I'm confused. Speaking of juvenile, you sound like a teenager that just got his feel goods hurt and wants to blame anyone but who's to blame. We were INVITED, so yes sir, we BELONG. So do you, to the WCC. Congrats on that.

• UteNationAlum Cottonwood Heights, UT
    Dec. 14, 2013 10:37 p.m.

Great win tonight boys! This team is fun to watch! Nothing better than sending home the cougars with their tails between their legs!

GO UTES!!!

• Whoa Nellie American Fork, UT
    Dec. 14, 2013 10:43 p.m.

That Loveridge seems like a good player. Perhaps his only fault is being the top dog on the third best program in the state.

• starthillnotnelson Kamas/United States, UT
    Dec. 14, 2013 10:44 p.m.

I am going to do something amazing, and that is called being classy. Uses played a great game. Actually feels like utahs pac 12 decision is paying off. If they just work in football, utah a move will be a success. Byu needs to learn from utah and join a conference.

• Uteology East Salt Lake City, Utah
    Dec. 14, 2013 10:44 p.m.

This proves it BYU can compete in the PAC-12 or Big 12.

• Coolio SLC, UT
    Dec. 14, 2013 10:44 p.m.

Let me guess, now that Utah has finally grabbed a basketball win they won't schedule BYU in Basketball either.

• starthillnotnelson Kamas/United States, UT
    Dec. 14, 2013 10:46 p.m.

• DrUte Woods Cross, UT
    Dec. 14, 2013 10:51 p.m.

Reality Check: No team has a lifetime guarantee to always beat any other team. And sometime between now and the end of time Utah will beat BYU again, and BYU will beat Utah again.

No reason to get wrapped around an axle.

Why not, as some have done here, give credit to Utah's coaches for their game plan, and Utah's players for their much-improved defense and much more mobile offense?

The good news for Utah is that this team seems to be improving with each contest. I doubt this result would have happened 4 or 5 games ago, so those who have dissed Coach K because of his "light schedule" should rethink their criticism. He should get an "A" for his efforts too.

And I hope now the fans will return to supporting their team by filling up the arena. These young men deserve our support and congratulations for all the effort they've invested outside of our view. The crowd was great tonight, truly a 6th Man.

It's great to see Utah basketball coming back into its own.

Congrats Utes!!!

• Spokane Ute Spokane, WA
    Dec. 14, 2013 10:52 p.m.

Don't worry BYU fans, the Saragin rankings still say your better than Utah. I guess the scoreboard says otherwise. Now watching the Utah vs North Carolina final four game on the PAC 12 network. It's good to be a Ute!

• Uteology East Salt Lake City, Utah
    Dec. 14, 2013 10:56 p.m.

@ThomasJefferson

--------

And I was sitting by Santa Clause and he even recognized that Utah's defense absolutely dominated BYU. He also said Mika's getting coal for Christmas for his late game tactics.

• starthillnotnelson Kamas/United States, UT
    Dec. 14, 2013 10:56 p.m.

Byu's missed field goals and free throws combined to be 114 points. Seriously, less than 30 percent of their shots were made. Few teams can win with that shooting

• MyPerspective Salt Lake City, UT
    Dec. 14, 2013 10:58 p.m.

starthillnotnelson

"I actually am glad BYU lost in a way. For one, these games are actually interesting now and will set up a great rivalry in a couple years when both programs are at their best. Second, someone needs to teach Carlino that he isn't jimmer."

Well, I think the Utes taught Carlino he isn't anything special. That said, Coach K put on a coaching clinic for Rose. Let's see, what else did the cougs learn this evening?

4 years ago Fredette ran up and down Utah's court with a big grin on his face scoring at will. 70% of the crowd was byu fans who were egging him on. Fast forward 4 years...

The NBA has wiped Fredette's grin off his face and the Utes crushed the egos of byu fans.

I'm curious...where's Cougsndawgs, poyman, and all their friends tonight?

• poyman Lincoln City, OR
    Dec. 14, 2013 10:59 p.m.

Congratulations ute fans... It wasn't even close... My Cougs were outplayed the entire game... I'll take my serving of fresh crow and leave you guys to celebrate.

• Uncle Rico Provo, UT
    Dec. 14, 2013 10:58 p.m.

Re: Coolio

Why would Utah schedule BYU anymore in anything?

In a few weeks BYU will claim they are better at basketball and that the game was a fluke. We've heard this same thing for 4 years in football.

• ratsoutah west jordan, UT
    Dec. 14, 2013 11:03 p.m.

It happens sometimes.....a team will play way out of their heads and win a game....

• Crow Sandy , UT
    Dec. 14, 2013 11:03 p.m.

@poyman duckhunter your dominance is over. Utah is the more athletic team they have better athletes and their new facilities are going to improve their recruiting efforts. Utah has atop notch coach who like Majerus he knows the importance of defense. Now I have heard several times this week that byu is going several sweet 16 in the coming years. Well if that's the case Utah is going to a lot of final 4s over the next few years. It takes guard play to make it deep in the tournament byu will never be able to recruit that type of athleticism
    Enjoy the wcc your not making the tourney this year unless you win the wcc tournament but with your guard play you won't

• Coolio SLC, UT
    Dec. 14, 2013 11:05 p.m.

Mika's flagrant 2 was the mildest flagrant 2 I have ever witnessed in basketball. Truthfully, surprised it was a flagrant, stunned when they ejected him. Collinsworth got hit harder in the 1st half and that didn't get a whistle. Strange rules in college.

• truthsandwich RANDOLPH, UT
    Dec. 14, 2013 11:07 p.m.

@Duckhunter

Quote from you earlier today:
    "the "fans" of one of the worst programs in NCAA mens basketball, one so bad that they've had to play the worst schedule in all of basketball just to get some wins and try to fool their "fans" (mission accomplished by the way, they all appear to be fooled) that they are good, are watching their school play some of the ugliest and most embarrassing basketball ever played"

And that emotional tantrum was BEFORE the game.

LOL!

• Craig Frantz Spokane, WA
    Dec. 14, 2013 11:10 p.m.

@Uteology hi five bro!

• xert Santa Monica, CA
    Dec. 14, 2013 11:12 p.m.

What a win. I truly thought that BYU being favored by 4 was about right. The Utes simply had not faced tough competition. Well, coach k2 had a plan and the Utes played amazing d against a high scoring team that had faced much tougher opponents. This is the kind of win that builds amazing confidence in your program. If the Utes continue to play well, this cupcake non conference schedule might prove to have been brilliant. We'll see, but this is a team any ute fan should love. And this win won't soon be forgotten.

• Cinci Man FT MITCHELL, KY
    Dec. 14, 2013 11:13 p.m.

BYU deserves all the trash talking they are getting. Utah came to play and BYU was thrashed. I remember saying this week that BYU needs to make free throws and get Carlino under control. Neither happened and lower-than-ever expectations were not even met tonight. What a total bust!

• pocyUte Pocatello, ID
    Dec. 14, 2013 11:15 p.m.

Poyman,

that's a classy move.

• ute94 Corona, CA
    Dec. 14, 2013 11:18 p.m.

@Coolio

Don't even talk about that flagrant 2 call, find highlights of Onwas at Boise State last week and then tell me that Mika's foul was the mildest flagrant foul you've seen.

• pocyUte Pocatello, ID
    Dec. 14, 2013 11:21 p.m.

Coolio

The worst one was Onwas up at Boise St. Mika's was deserved

• DRay Roy, UT
    Dec. 14, 2013 11:23 p.m.

BYU played with reckless abandon, as in a train tearing down the track so fast it can't turn a corner...and abandoning any real effort to put the ball through the basket.

• Magna Ute Fan Magna, UT
    Dec. 14, 2013 11:33 p.m.

Wow. Great atmosphere at the HC tonight. Sat next to a really classy Cougar fan. My 9 year old son and I shouted, clapped, and screamed all night. My son said, "This is a game Ute fans will never forget!" I hope he never does.

I love this team! I love our coaching staff. On to conference play.

• DRay Roy, UT
    Dec. 14, 2013 11:32 p.m.

Coach Rose, how did you let this happen?

• poyman Lincoln City, OR
    Dec. 14, 2013 11:33 p.m.

At some point Coach Rose has got to focus on the poor free throw shooting of the Cougs...

Other issues? Haws has a tough time creating his shot... Any team that saw this game knows to crowd Haws and he is simply too passive to get on track when that happens...Collinsworth is the playmaker but he is too slow in shot creation... And Carlino is the kid that when he is good, he is very, very good, but when he is off he is horrid.

Didn't want to lose this game but it is what it is... I'm kind of second guessing the decision to use up one of Mika's years of eligibility this year.

• Spokane Ute Spokane, WA
    Dec. 14, 2013 11:42 p.m.

U T A H !

• 4 in a row! Ogden, UT
    Dec. 14, 2013 11:49 p.m.

Just to make sure, who was the best team tonight?

'We can't hear you" said the students before the game.

"Just like football" said the Hunstman Center with five minutes to go. Someone was held below their average.

I think we have covered it. Good night everybody.

Go Utes!

• Uteology East Salt Lake City, Utah
    Dec. 14, 2013 11:52 p.m.

ratsoutah
    west jordan, UT

--------

Again, that's just not true. Utah played it's 2nd worst game of the season on the offensive side and they didn't just win they absoultly took BYU to the woodshed the entire game.

• 54-10 Salt Lake City, UT
    Dec. 14, 2013 11:54 p.m.

At the game tonight. Great crowd and a dominant performance by Utah.

Game wasn't even as close as the score. It was a total blowout.

• Uteology East Salt Lake City, Utah
    Dec. 14, 2013 11:56 p.m.

@Duckhunter (in Tulsa)

How do you like these "thugs"? I think you need to officially man up and apologize for calling out the character of these kids.

• Jake2010 bountiful, ut
    Dec. 15, 2013 12:02 a.m.

It is funny that the fans of the winning club tonight are the only ones saying that someone is blaming the refs for the outcome. I perused all 5 pages of the comments and didn't see one comment from a BYU fan or apologist blaming the refs for the outcome. The flagrant doesn't in this book count! All this dribble said, I would just like to congratulate the Utes for pulling off the unexpected. Now, with this momentum, go run the table in conference play! Beat Stanford and Oregon and make our state proud. I don't think the cougars are going to have much luck in Eugene next week. This tastes really sour! Now what needs be said is 11 of 13... More importantly 1-0... I like to look forward not back... Tonight is going to sting for a while. But, it will be eventually filed away like January 28th, 2009. It looks like the football trend has followed the Cougs to the hardwood... Escape by 3 and get crushed by more than a dozen... We'll see you in Provo next season!

• atl134 Salt Lake City, UT
    Dec. 15, 2013 12:04 a.m.

This Utah team has potential. In two games against top 50 type teams they went 1-1 and the loss was a narrow road loss. It remains to be seen when that sample size goes up but Utah could be a top 50 team this year. I imagine BYU is as well though their schedule reverses and brings up fewer opportunities to prove it over time whereas Utah gains opportunities.

• Spokane Ute Spokane, WA
    Dec. 15, 2013 12:20 a.m.

The PAC 12 is tough, it will be interesting to see how the UTES do in conference play. BYU will finish behind st Mary's and the Zags, just not that good.

• nosaerfoecioveht NSL, UT
    Dec. 15, 2013 12:26 a.m.

BYU "fans" on these boards have been adamant that Utah is only capable of beating cupcakes.

I guess we won't know til we start playing in the Pac :)

• UtesBy5 Syracuse, UT
    Dec. 15, 2013 12:27 a.m.

@Poyman

Classy posts, Poyman. Good luck the rest of the way, I'll be pulling for the Cougars in the WCC.

With the incoming classes for both schools, it looks like a good rivalry going forward.

Go Utes!

• Coolio SLC, UT
    Dec. 15, 2013 12:51 a.m.

I agree, I don't know why Mika stuck around for this season, unless Rose figured maybe he could get to the Dance with him, and that was worth the sacrifice. Mika is the only Cougar tonight who played as if there was a rivalry game happening. All the other Coug's slouched and hid from the competition. Mika went out and got a double double, got hammered, gave some of it back and competed. But Rose needs to teach this group how to compete, how to shoot free-throws, (no excuse for missing free-throws Rose, recruit kids who can can do simple things)Also learn to play man! The zone killed the Cougars. But yeah, when you play a team that is heck bent on beating you in an environment that is against you to the extremes, you have to compete. Mika competed, and that bodes well for his recruiting class, but the others tonight? Downright disappointing. Even more disappointing than the signs I saw in the Utah student section? Really?

• slcjimmy SLC, UT
    Dec. 15, 2013 1:38 a.m.

PAC 12 domination once again..There was of course a typical sarcastic comment posted not too long ago regarding that "You always have gymnastics Utes." Looks like we have much more!

• Qwest Perfected Salt Lake City, UT
    Dec. 15, 2013 2:49 a.m.

Utah played a great game tonight they came out with great energy right from the start and never let up. A few other people have already hit on it but there was a huge difference in assists. The Utes played great team ball very unselfish and always seemed to make the extra pass to get an open look.

Coach K has done a good job in turning this program around. They are still very much a work in progress but they are making good strides. It's still tough to tell how good they are because the level of opponent hasn't been to the level of what they will face in conference play plus they will need to put it together on the road. Tonight should be a good lesson to this team on how they can do if they play with that much energy.

A win over byu is always a good win oh and the women's team did it today too.

Go Utes!

• gdog3finally West Jordan, Utah
    Dec. 15, 2013 4:03 a.m.

Utah beats BYU badly in basketball and the Utes have the better overall record. Does that make Utah better? I wouldn't be surprised to see the Desnews write that article soon.

I know BYU fans, one regular season game is not a season. And BYU has played better opponents thus far in comparison to Utah. But that didn't wash for many of you in football. It was all about Utah having the worst record. And you were right. Only playing Utah's football schedule was far tougher than playing more than half of BYU's schedule.

I do believe that one game + head to head match ups ARE NOT everything to justify chest bumping and superiority, but it's close to all we have to go on because the schedules aren't comparable in either football or basketball. Furthermore, Sagarin stock is always a scam. Sell that right away and free your mind.

Utah will soon move to the PAC 12 part of their schedule while BYU plays small catholic schools in high school gyms. If they have the better record by seasons end, I wouldn't be surprised to find the blue arguing the state championship vote again.

• hobbes1012003 Kaysville, UT
    Dec. 15, 2013 4:15 a.m.

Stay Classy Ute fans. You guys won a very dominate game, and I tip my hat to the team that played that well. That makes 2 out of 13. Enjoy the win, but dont pound your chest too hard. Maybe we can all get a treat and see a rematch in the tourney? Good win Utes, we will see you in the Mariott Center next year! Go Cougs!

• CrumJ Taylorsville, UT
    Dec. 15, 2013 5:18 a.m.

All I heard all week:

"Utah hasn't played anyone!" "They haven't been tested!" "Byu is battle tested!" "We're #8 RPI!" "We've played a bunch of hard teams!" (though losing to all of them) and my favorites were Byu fans predicting a win by 10, 20, even 30 points!

Things I said all week:

"Byu will have answer for Jordan Loveridge or Delon Wright." "Utah will make Byu play their pace and take them out of their game." "Utah blew the game last year IN PROVO with a far inferior roster. Utes will win by double digits."

Looks like I was right on all accounts, and the delusional fellas down south were wrong as usual!

• BYU9293 Clinton, UT
    Dec. 15, 2013 6:36 a.m.

Great game by the Utes, they just pounded us and we looked very lost. Disappointing. That being said, it is interesting to note that Utah fans think so highly of byu that one win over us, and they now claim their team is back. So, you must think we have the program that you measure yourself by, otherwise the win would not mean that much.

• Pavalova Surfers Paradise, AU
    Dec. 15, 2013 7:01 a.m.

It's fair to say that in 2013 the U owns BYU. Nothing more to add. BYU should be ashamed by the way they came out and tried to compete. Congrats to the U. You own BYU this year, that's for sure.

• StGtoSLC SALT LAKE CITY, UT
    Dec. 15, 2013 7:13 a.m.

Jake2010, the reason it gets brought up is because a handful of BYU faithful had already prequalified a Utah victory as something only possible via corrupt and unfair officiating. If that was not you, then their comments weren't directed at you so need to have your feelings hurt.

• JohnInSLC Cottonwood Heights, UT
    Dec. 15, 2013 7:17 a.m.

"fans of the winning club tonight are the only ones saying that someone is blaming the refs for the outcome. I perused all 5 pages of the comments and didn't see one comment from a BYU fan or apologist blaming the refs for the outcome."

Jake2010:

You obviously overlooked the comments to the pregame article. WAdad and idablu were blaming the refs BEFORE the game.

• CougarColby Fort Benning, GA
    Dec. 15, 2013 7:24 a.m.

This guy has to leave a message and eat Crow. I think I predicted an 11 point BYU win...I didn't see the game because of where I live so I cannot comment on what happened, but it just looks like BYU got taken out behind the woodshed and beaten.

That being said all you utah and PAC12 lovers, 1 win since 2009 does not a champion make.

• utahcountyute Cedar Hills, UT
    Dec. 15, 2013 7:47 a.m.

"Game will not even be as close as the score" lol

Words of a byU "fan" on Friday. You got that right.

Complete domination by Jlove and the Utes. I see this as the norm going forward. Great win Utes!

Go Utes!

• ekute Layton, UT
    Dec. 15, 2013 8:01 a.m.

Thanks poyman, when I see your user name I look for objectiveness and credibility instead of raising my hackles. I hope you've noticed that I respect Dave Rose and his program.

• Reno Cougs Fan 68 Reno, NV
    Dec. 15, 2013 8:07 a.m.

No excuses! Congrats to the utes!!!

• Reno Cougs Fan 68 Reno, NV
    Dec. 15, 2013 8:29 a.m.

I am in shock!!! No excuses!!! Congrats Utes!!!

GO BYU RISE UP!!!

• Pipes Salt Lake City, UT
    Dec. 15, 2013 8:34 a.m.

Nice win for the utes! They had BYU's number!

• TexasCoug Midland, TX
    Dec. 15, 2013 8:59 a.m.

Good win for the Utes. When did they get a basketball program again? Coach K was a great pick up for them. Loved him when he was with the Jazz. Now we have a rivalry again. Very poor preparation by Rose for this game. BYU has been overrated so far this season. No development of the bench players and no defense= 2nd place at best in WCC. If only Utah could translate their game play against BYU to other games of the year in football and basketball they would be world beaters. Stanford in football may have been the only exception. Rose needs to hit the JUCOs a little better for more depth to keep the Cougs good till Lone Peak University returns from missions.

• IrieUte west valley, UT
    Dec. 15, 2013 9:00 a.m.

What a beautiful day!

Both Football and Basketball Utah gave a thorough beatdown to byu from begin to finish leaving no doubt who the better team is. No bad calls, no trading leads, no "just 1 or 2 more plays and we woulda won it"

• RBB Sandy, UT
    Dec. 15, 2013 9:03 a.m.

BYU - there is always golf.

• RBB Sandy, UT
    Dec. 15, 2013 9:04 a.m.

Whoa Nellien

I guess that makes BYU No. 4.

• Cougsndawgs West Point , UT
    Dec. 15, 2013 9:10 a.m.

Utah simply played better basketball and beat BYU in every phase. They're a good team and much improved and certainly deserved the win. Now they just need to keep it rolling throughout the season. As for BYU it's back to the drawing board...not a whole lot of positive to take from this game. For the classy ute fans, great win, and nice to see Utah having a turnaround that y'all can cheer for. For the haters (on both sides), May life bring you more joy than it has...obviously it hasn't brought you much if you carry so much animosity about a game you have nothing whatsoever to do with. Again, congrats Utah, and happy holidays everyone :).

Btw ekute, I predicted BYU would win, I was wrong, and Utah is the better team this year. Merry Christmas and happy new year brother.

• mdp Bountiful, utah
    Dec. 15, 2013 9:15 a.m.

Utes deserved to win- they played as a team, BYU did not. Some of the worst officiating Ive seen in a long time

• motorbike Cottonwood Heights, UT
    Dec. 15, 2013 9:25 a.m.

Duckhunter? Believe me now?

• Cool Cat Cosmo Payson, UT
    Dec. 15, 2013 9:34 a.m.

Though I have to say that I felt the flagrant 2 call (and subsequent ejection) against Mika was bologna, the rest of the game was fair. BYU has apparently decided to play beneath themselves in their vs. Utah games as of late (especially in football), while Utah has done the opposite, often playing the games of their lives in these contests. Though I was impressed, I only hope Utah doesn't go forward sputtering after exerting such energy and emotion...because that not only embarrasses them, but it is doubly embarrassing for BYU, having lost to them.

Best of luck this year, Utah. Congrats on the win; you deserve it. I'm sure the Cougars will recover and still have a great season.

• mindgames Aurora, CO
    Dec. 15, 2013 9:47 a.m.

Ouch, just got back from the wood shed and Chris B. gave me a whoopin'.

All credit to the Utes and their total victory over my Cougs.

This will be a bitter pill to swallow but I have renewed respect for the Utes and will change my opinion on their progress and their probable success in the PAC-12 (no more references to the PAC-10.2) they have earned my respect.

Their success will be a boon to the area and when any and all the universities in the state are successful the entire region will profit.

• Darth Vader Ogden, UT
    Dec. 15, 2013 10:05 a.m.

Hey Utes, don't get too cocky.

This was just one preseason cupcake and there are a few left.

Hope you can focus moving forward. The real test is ahead of U.

Go Utes!

• pocyUte Pocatello, ID
    Dec. 15, 2013 10:08 a.m.

BYU9293

Of course we Utah fans use BYU as a measuring stick. You guys have been more dominant over us the past 12 games in basketball than we have over you in football. You guys have been very successful over the Rose era, and beating you is a big deal.

Now, let's be clear a measuring stick, yes, but the ultimate measuring stick, by no means. But Utah has to show that it can compete with a team that has pounded us into the ground over the bast 6 years before we can take the next step to competing in the Pac-12.

I think this team has the talent to be a middle tier Pac-12 team, which is a huge step up from the past few years. Beating BYU, and doing it soundly is a great indicator of how far the team has come this year.

• Cougsndawgs West Point , UT
    Dec. 15, 2013 10:38 a.m.

Well my comments didn't get posted for some reason. Anyway, all I was saying is congrats to Utah on playing the best defense I've seen against BYU in a long time. As I was saying this week, it's nice to see Utah bball getting better and more competitive again. For BYU it's back to the drawing board...nothing positive to take from this game, not playing very good basketball right now. Now let's try and not be so hateful in this rivalry. It's a game people and being a good sport means accepting victory graciously and defeat respectfully...lets all try a little harder to be a little better about sportsmanship.

Btw ekute: I thought BYU would win, I was wrong, so the distinction made this year is that Utah is better than BYU right now. Happy holidays utes, good luck in the PAC12 & rest of the season.

• ekute Layton, UT
    Dec. 15, 2013 11:00 a.m.

Cougsndawgs,

Thanks for replying. Seems that your cougs are hot and cold this year. Good luck and happy holidays to you too.

• Cool Cat Cosmo Payson, UT
    Dec. 15, 2013 10:59 a.m.

Since my last comment seems to have gotten lost on the interweb...

Congrats to the Utes; a good solid game throughout. BYU had some selfish play, while the Utes were the opposite; kudos on that. It wasn't an easy game by any means, but the Utes played harder and obviously wanted it more (sound familiar? seems to be a BYU trend in regards to Utah as of late). My one complaint would be the Mika rejection, a bad call IMO (but one bad call does NOT a game make).

So here's what needs to happen next: Utah needs to continue strong and carry that type of effort into conference play, as does BYU. If the Utes don't, they'll not only be embarrassing themselves after such a stellar performance, but it would be doubly embarrassing for BYU, after losing so badly to what may turn out to be a mediocre team (a scenario we all saw play out this year in football)

Best of luck, Utes. Here's another BYU fan who will be rooting for you the rest of the way, as well as for the Cougars.

• oaklandaforlife SLC, UT
    Dec. 15, 2013 11:59 a.m.

Utah totally dominated the entire night. The Great and powerful Hawes had the curtain pulled back and was exposed by a very stingy and athletic Utah defense. Looks like crow will be the main dish served today for a lot of folks.

By the way @agarrett, Yes, Utah is the best basketball team in the state, but I believe you already realized that.

• ImaUteFan West Jordan, UT
    Dec. 15, 2013 2:12 p.m.

Well, well, well.

I guess we all definitely know who the best team is now, don't we?

Scoreboard!

• StGtoSLC SALT LAKE CITY, UT
    Dec. 15, 2013 4:16 p.m.

I loved the contribution of Bachynski off the bench. It wasn't very long ago that we were all assured by the authority of the comment boards that he had been "given the boot" by the coaches. Hopefully he keeps playing this caliber of ball and can make a good showing against the PAC. The team doesn't need the 22 point 16 rebound type games he had early last year only to turn into a no show in conference. I think last year if he had a play like the Mika takedown, he may have blown his top (I know I would). It's good to see him embrace his role on the team and keep his composure in tense moments.

• StGtoSLC SALT LAKE CITY, UT
    Dec. 15, 2013 4:23 p.m.

Coolio: "Mika's flagrant 2 was the mildest flagrant 2"

If it were on a wrestling mat, the takedown would be worth 2 points. Takedowns of players in the air with no play on the ball are not basketball plays, and don't belong on the court. I don't know Mika, so I won't go to the extent of calling him a "thug" or any other demeaning remark, but that specific play was dirty and unnecessary, and could have been very dangerous.

• BYU9293 Clinton, UT
    Dec. 15, 2013 4:28 p.m.

To be honest, I think BYU needs to stop playing Utah in all sports...for several reasons. First, the rivalry has way too much personal animosity and that is not good, no respect, just hate. Second, we are not in the same conference so it does not matter. Third, there is nothing to be gained for byu by playing. Even had we beaten Utah by 50 last night, our rpi would have dropped. If we win, we were supposed to and if we lose, hey you lost to the Utes. Absolutely nothing to be gained. Based on the behavior of Utah fans, I feel it is truly best for byu and their mission to completely disassociate themselves from the U of U. That is my belief. It is like when I played football at byu, no matter what we did, we were criticized against the utes, if we won, we were supposed to and if we lost we looked really horrible.

• pocyUte Pocatello, ID
    Dec. 15, 2013 5:49 p.m.

9293

I think the refs running off the field at BYU would feel that maybe based on the behavior of BYU fans it would be better for the rivalry to end.

Or, how about both sides grow up. There is a lot of garbage on this board. Maybe if people who are only here to stir the pot took more of the approach of Spokane Ute, or Poyman or countless others who actually come on to the board to add to the board instead of spewing venom that might make the rivalry less disrespectful.

• Glad to be Retired Bountiful, UT
    Dec. 16, 2013 12:06 a.m.

Live by the 3 point shot and die by the 3 point shot!!

• jasonlivy Orem, UT
    Dec. 16, 2013 3:45 a.m.

Come on! I know it's fun to gloat, but let's keep this all in perspective…

Utah didn't play that well. Credit should go early to Loveridge who wanted the ball. He was determined to beat BYU and in the first several minutes, he did. As the game progressed, his play, and the rest of the Utah's team, was mediocre at best.

BYU stunk it up! There is no denying that. Awful, pathetic, weak (offensive and defense), ugly shooting, the list could go on and on. That doesn't mean that Utah had a dominating performance. They had a riled up crowd in a hostile environment behind them and more of a determination to beat BYU than BYU had to beat Utah. That's it.

Shooting percentages for both teams was pathetic. If Utah expects to beat anyone in the PAC12 playing the way they did, they had better come back to reality. We'll hear what you have to say after you play Arizona…

Mock and scoff all you want, but know that many factors attributed to Utah winning. The biggest of which was BYU beating themselves...

• jdub1942 PROVO, UT
    Dec. 16, 2013 7:10 a.m.

Jasonlivy
    BYU doesn't lose, byu only beats themselves. Of course in any given game its the team that didn't beat themselves that eons the game. Its called being the better team, for instance had utah scored a fg in the final 7 minutes of last years game they would have beaten byu, that's why byu was the better team... was.

• Magna Ute Fan Magna, UT
    Dec. 16, 2013 7:57 a.m.

Sour grapes jasonlivy. The "battle tested" team couldn't handle the heat. The untested, cupcake playing squad dominated wire to wire.

Go Utes!

• pocyUte Pocatello, ID
    Dec. 16, 2013 8:37 a.m.

Sorry Livly

Teams don't beat themselves by 17 points. They get beaten. It's not as if Utah had nothing to do with BYU's poor performance, and it's not as if BYU had nothing to do with Utah shooting it's lowest percentage of the season. BYU actually did a good job on Wright, but they had no answer for Loveridge.

Let's be honest here. Utah is better than BYU, period.

• jasonlivy Orem, UT
    Dec. 16, 2013 10:15 a.m.

jdub 1942, Magna Ute Fan, pocyUte:

I get it. You love Utah.

This team doesn't even come close to the Rick Majerus teams of old.

We'll see what becomes of the team after they're schedule is completed. My prediction is that they won't make the NCAA tournament. They will have a subpar record having been beat by the majority of the PAC 12 teams.

I also predict, after BYU's ugly play, that the won't make the tournament either. In fact they will be next to last in the WCC.

The other night, Utah was ten times the team BYU was and they are much better than they were last year, but based on the comments I'm reading, they are no where near the team you all think they are.

And as far as why BYU got beat up so bad, yes, the main reason is BYU simply didn't show up. There were also many other factors including Utah's energy level, their early shooting success, tough defense, better coaching, more aggression, a little home-town cooking (i.e. no call on Collingsworth), etc. Many. Factors. Not. Just. One.

• Two For Flinching Salt Lake City, UT
    Dec. 16, 2013 10:45 a.m.

"the main reason is BYU simply didn't show up. There were also many other factors including Utah's energy level, their early shooting success, tough defense, better coaching, more aggression, a little home-town cooking"

No, the main reason is because Utah is the better team. What makes Utah the better team? Well, it's their energy level, their shooting success, tough defense, better coaching, more aggression, and because Utah can hit free throws. Utah has 22 PF to BYU's 19. Utah was 18-23 from the foul line, while BYU was 17-31.

• truthsandwich RANDOLPH, UT
    Dec. 16, 2013 11:07 a.m.

@ Jasonlivy

"I get it. You love Utah.

...as far as why BYU got beat up so bad, yes, the main reason is BYU simply didn't show up. Also.. Utah's energy level, aggression, a little home-town cooking.."

Classic. Listing weird excuses rather than giving credit to the better team who won.

We get it. You're a typical BYU fan.

• Magna Ute Fan Magna, UT
    Dec. 16, 2013 11:40 a.m.

jasonlivy- Nobody, with the possible exception of Chris B, would compare the team where it is currently to where it was with Majerus as the Coach. The excitement you are witnessing is with the pace of the recovery from the dumpster fire that Coach K inherited just two short years ago.

Who would have thought that they could bring in players like Loveridge and Wright back when players like Mr Sharp were leaving the program like rats from a sinking ship?

• Chewbacca Magna, UT
    Dec. 16, 2013 11:41 a.m.

I hear the weather is REALLY nice this time of year in Tulsa!

• jarka-rus Layton, Utah
    Dec. 16, 2013 11:47 a.m.

So glad I'm a Duke fan, they rarely get owned by a worthless team right rom the tip. Although any team can get hot, i'll bet the Utes turn right around after this win and lose to St. Katherine, lol is that really a bball school.

• JohnInSLC Cottonwood Heights, UT
    Dec. 16, 2013 12:34 p.m.

jasonlivy:

We get it. You're a big BYU fan. To you, the cougs never get beat in any sport--when they lose it's because "they beat themselves."

That's precisely the attitude that irks so many, and not just Utah fans. It's an attitude that starts with some on the coaching staffs, and extends to some of players and to nearly all of the media members that cover the Y and call their games. Maybe with lofty expectations--something never in short supply in Provo--it is easy to believe when suffering a devastating loss that the other team had nothing to do with it. After all, who wants to give the other team credit when you've constantly been told you're better? So when some y "fans" endlessly hear that "we beat ourselves" tripe, they begin to believe it.

Take a cue from those players and coaches, at the Y and elsewhere, who give the other team credit for playing well.

• JohnInSLC Cottonwood Heights, UT
    Dec. 16, 2013 12:38 p.m.

"So glad I'm a Duke fan"

jakrus:

You have spent a lot of time and effort sounding like a y "fan" all these years. When did you convert, late Saturday night after that "worthless team" laid out the cougs?

• caleb in new york Glen Cove, NY
    Dec. 16, 2013 12:45 p.m.

after the Utes completely outclassed the Cougs, the next Monday the new Bracketology from lunardi has BYU in as a 10th seed (above the last 8 in) and has the Utes on the outside looking in (not even in the last 8 out). But BYU has to pick up the pace and do well in the WCC and get 3 or 4 wins the rest of the way against Gonzaga, St. Mary's and Oregon to maintain a chance.

• jasonlivy Orem, UT
    Dec. 16, 2013 12:49 p.m.

Two For Flinching:

"and because Utah can hit free throws...18-23 from the foul line, while BYU was 17-31."

My point exactly. BYU is much better than this at the foul line usually, but because they didn't show up, every aspect of their game was lousy and pathetic.

I was incredibly let down by BYU's play. Something Ute fans can relate to I'm sure...

• StGtoSLC SALT LAKE CITY, UT
    Dec. 16, 2013 1:15 p.m.

jasonlivy: "My point exactly. BYU is much better than this at the foul line usually"

Apparently you don't know the Cougs that well this season. BYU free throw shooting on the season: 67.9% Utah free throw shooting on the season: 71.9% From Dick Harmon before the game: "Team free-throw accuracy is skewed because Tyler Haws is shooting 87 percent. Without his boost, the team is shooting a very poor 63 percent."

BYU is overall a poor free throw shooting team. With Haws only getting to the line for 9 of their 31 attempts, they needed the rest of the team to step their game up, and as usual, they didn't. Last year's Utah game was one of the rare exceptions that Carlino came to their rescue. The game was no fluke, the story is told in the details.

• pocyUte Pocatello, ID
    Dec. 16, 2013 1:16 p.m.

Caleb

Classic BYUism. The season isn't even half way done, and your punching your ticket to One-and-Done-ville.

Last I checked, Lunardi wasn't on the selection committee, and BYU still has 3 tough game left, Oregon and the Zaga twice. Look for that vaunted RPI to circle the drain quickly.

• jarka-rus Layton, Utah
    Dec. 16, 2013 1:31 p.m.

@JohnInSLC
    haha nice try . I've rooted for the Dukies since Danny Ferry and Quin Snyder. I don't really follow Byu basketball that much, I admit I root for them in Football and have been to several of the old Holiday Bowl games since Young and Boscoe, but then again I'm and FSU fan first, I'm just not a fan of the Utes at all, I didn't even root for them to beat Kentucky or Alabama. But sometimes a blind chipmunk finds a nut here and there. The only team I don't like more than the Utes is the Tar Heels.

• haggie Visalia, CA
    Dec. 16, 2013 2:19 p.m.

Look, BYU failed to execute on offense (which is their strength) and lost to what seems to be Utah's best team in years. Look at BYU's record this year. BYU does great against teams that aren't ranked but are decent but also fights hard to stay close with ranked teams. #4 on Sagarin's strength of schedule compared to Utahs 181 position. So stop worrying about Utah. It is their first big win against a rankable team. BYU gave it away. Look they lost to the mighty Boise State Broncos. Signature win! Come on!

So Cougar fans need to move on. The most important part of the season begins in WCC play!

• JohnInSLC Cottonwood Heights, UT
    Dec. 16, 2013 2:33 p.m.

"So glad I'm a Duke fan" . . . "then again I'm and FSU fan first"

jakrus:

Can't decide which front-runner you want to identify with this week, eh? It must hurt that Utah took the cougs off your list this year.

• MyPerspective Salt Lake City, UT
    Dec. 16, 2013 3:13 p.m.

haggie

Look, BYU failed to execute on offense (which is their strength)...

Yes, offense is byu's only strength and the Utes shut it down.

So stop worrying about Utah. It is their first big win against a rankable team.

byu is not a "rankable" team. The Utes did the same thing to the cougars they did to Savannah St.

• jasonlivy Orem, UT
    Dec. 16, 2013 6:32 p.m.

StGtoSLC, JohnInSLC:

BYU played absolutely lousy. They haven't performed this bad all year. Was it because the Utes were so good? Any clear thinking person would have to say no.

BYU is a good team. They have decent players who haven't spent enough time in the gym, obviously, practicing free throws and jump shots. They have skill and they have poise.

All that went out the window on Saturday night. Was it the pressure of a rivalry game? Or a hostile environment? Or a super-motivated team? All of the above contributed. Utah was the better team that night.

As far as our rivalry goes, I believe Utah hates BYU far more than BYU hates Utah.

We do expect more out of our athletes. For BYU to excel means a great deal to many people within the LDS community. It means positive exposure for not only BYU, but the LDS Church. It shows that athletes who live within BYU's honor code can still excel in athletics yet still have higher priorities than just sports.

That's not so bad, is it?

• JohnInSLC Cottonwood Heights, UT
    Dec. 16, 2013 7:45 p.m.

"That's not so bad, is it?"

jasonlivy:

Not at all.

What's bad is the perpetual cry of "we beat ourselves" when your team gets run off the floor/field--particularly when all you "clear thinking" Y fans claimed, before this game, the results would be the other way around.

• 4 in a row! Ogden, UT
    Dec. 17, 2013 5:51 a.m.

Reasons why BYU lost:

We beat ourselves

Those darn Pac-12 refs

Utah only gets up for only one game

Next week, reasons why you are still the best team.

• haggie Visalia, CA
    Dec. 17, 2013 11:27 a.m.

MyPerspective,

I appreciate your perspective. So take your blinders off and look at the strength of schedule my friend. BYU isn't playing the cream puff teams like "Savanah State" that Utah is playing. Compare that to Iowa State, Wichita, UMass, we lost to them by an average of only 8 points. We beat both Stanford and Texas. Then we have Oregon and we will play Gonzaga twice. Plus we play St. Mary's twice, which is always a great team and typically gets in or on the edge of March Madness.

Look, we lost to Utah. There is no getting around it and it is an embarassment to lose to this Utah team. We got our noses bloodied. No doubt about it. Good job on your best game of the season.

Final stat for you is that BYU will be in the March Madness hunt and Utah will not. They will however get to watch it at home!

• jarka-rus Layton, Utah
    Dec. 17, 2013 1:03 p.m.

@JohnInSLC
    My apologies I wasn't aware that I had to check with you before rooting for teams. I'm also a Buffs fan in football, not a lot to cheer for there but I still root them on as well. At least I'm not a bandwagon Ute fan.

• jarka-rus Layton, Utah
    Dec. 17, 2013 1:03 p.m.

@4 in a row!
    There's only one reason the Utes lose and don't got to bowl games in football.
    1. They flat out stink

• Two For Flinching Salt Lake City, UT
    Dec. 17, 2013 2:56 p.m.

@ haggie

Utah did not play its best game of the season. Shooting wise, it was Utah's worst game so far.... Also, when all is said and done, chances are the Utah will have a higher SOS.

• jazzer St. George, UT
    Dec. 17, 2013 3:17 p.m.

The Utes have never beat BYU in any sports. It's BYU beating BYU. We kill ourselves every year and let the Utes win the game. If we played our game, we would beat them up and down the court/field every year, multiple times.

• golfrUte SALT LAKE CITY, UT
    Dec. 17, 2013 3:19 p.m.

@ jarka-rus

Must be tough to lose to teams that "flat out stink."

Scoreboard.

• 2BCSWINS West of I15, UT
    Dec. 18, 2013 8:41 a.m.

@byu9293..."To be honest, I think BYU needs to stop playing Utah in all sports...for several reasons. First, the rivalry has way too much personal animosity and that is not good, no respect, just hate. Second, we are not in the same conference so it does not matter. Third, there is nothing to be gained for byu by playing"

Fourth we can't win games against the utes and we're tired of defending how the cougies are still better by losing....LOL!

@Jack-A-Rus

Thanks for the best laugh I've had in weeks a "duke" fan.....LOL! You are probably the biggest cougie homer I've seen on these boards. They get spanked in both basketball and football and now your a Duke fan....LOL

• MyPerspective Salt Lake City, UT
    Dec. 18, 2013 12:10 p.m.

haggie

Strength of schedule doesn't mean much if your cougs can't beat anyone.

You make a statement of fact that has a remarkable resemblance to the nonsense spewed by byu fans before they played Utah. A projected stat? Nope, I'm not buying it and I would think that you and your people would get tired of offering it. You look foolish.

• JohnInSLC Cottonwood Heights, UT
    Dec. 18, 2013 12:26 p.m.

"So glad I'm a Duke fan" . . . "then again I'm and FSU fan first" "I'm also a Buffs fan"

jakrus:

So you're not a Y fan anymore, and have at least three other schools you like, where do you find the time to comment endlessly on Ute stories?

• Mormon Ute Kaysville, UT
    Dec. 18, 2013 3:28 p.m.

BYU9293,

I for one enjoy the rivalry and think it should continue. I refuse to engage in the stereotyping of fans that you choose to and will point out that bad behavior is rampant on both sides. I was at the game Saturday and saw nothing but good behavior from the Ute fans around me, but I'm sure there was bad behavior happening somewhere in the arena. I also observed mostly good behavior from the BYU fans around me and there were quite a few. At least 20 or so within shouting distance. Then there were the three young ladies cheering for BYU with their shirts pulled up to expose everything below their chests so we could all see they B the Y and the U they had painted on their stomachs. When the U student section started chanting HONOR CODE at them one of the young ladies proceeded to give a double barreled single finger salute to everyone around her. What class some BYU fans have. Where's Max Hall when you need him?

• Spokane Ute Spokane, WA
    Dec. 19, 2013 8:05 a.m.

Utah out played BYU every which way. Nice to see that Jakrus has been exposed for his true colors by others.