Utah basketball: Utes looking forward to hosting Cougars

Comments

• Mikeylikesit Davis, UT
    Dec. 13, 2013 12:11 p.m.

Hoping and planning on a Cougar win Sat so we can chant "This is our house" in YOUR gym. 7 in row Christy, beats 4 in row or doesn't basketball count unless you win one sometime. We can plan on your absense from the comments for a few days after the yewts lose, or an I've always been here for you boys" if they happen to win.

• Funny/witty screen name Orem, UT
    Dec. 13, 2013 12:26 p.m.

The cougs are going to destroy.
    Byu by 15.
    Go cougs

• Mormon Ute Kaysville, UT
    Dec. 13, 2013 12:35 p.m.

Nice to see Cougar fans excited for their team. You'll need that positive attitude to carry you through this one. The Runnin' Utes are living up to their name this year with a team that is better than last year's team the Cougars barely beat in Provo. I'm looking forward to a good game with plenty of crowd support on our home court. I'll be there to cheer my Utes on to victory. Go Utes!!

• TRUTH Salt Lake City, UT
    Dec. 13, 2013 12:42 p.m.

Utes vrs Cougs...... Remembering the 47 pts Jimmer layed on the Utes on their home floor........in other words known as the DAYS of 47'.!!!!

• The Jimmer Okemos, MI
    Dec. 13, 2013 12:57 p.m.

Thanks for the respectful comment, Moromon Ute. I wish both sides had more of those. This should be a pretty good game, with slight edge to BYU because of experience.

Go Cougars!

• Brad J West Jordan, UT
    Dec. 13, 2013 12:59 p.m.

7 IN A ROW!!!!!!!!!! LOL

• Chris B Salt Lake City, UT
    Dec. 13, 2013 1:00 p.m.

Utah will win.

I think the only question is which excuse byu fans will use for the loss:

1) Pac 12 refs
    2) the weather inside that affected byu but not Utah
    3) byu GAVE the game away

I'm going with the Pac 12 refs still

Utah 77
    byu 69

I guarantee Utah wins.

Come back and tell me I am right

• souptwins Lindon, UT
    Dec. 13, 2013 1:01 p.m.

This should be a good game and I don't think BYU fans should get too cocky about the win streak. The team doesn't need anyone tempting Karma. The Utes are improved but it's hard to predict what to expect from them with their OOC schedule this year. It's a smart strategy given their struggles of the last few years but we just can't tell how far they've come yet. This BYU team, I believe, is also an improvement from last year. We'll need to play better interior defense and have a good shooting night while staying out of foul trouble with the bigs. Go Coug's!!

• Cougsndawgs West Point , UT
    Dec. 13, 2013 1:05 p.m.

This will be a fun game to watch. I'm looking forward to this rivalry being competitive and both programs returning to former glories. These are two great programs with lots of tradition and here's one BYU fan that is glad the utes are getting better and more competitive...makes the game a lot funner and worth looking forward to. Go Cougs!!

BYU 82
    Utah 76

• BeSmart Cheyenne, WY
    Dec. 13, 2013 1:06 p.m.

This will be an interesting matchup. Both teams are better than they were a year ago.
    I think either team can win this one, Utah I think will win if they can get the BYU big men in foul trouble. BYU will win if they out rebound the utes by 8-10.
    That is my opinion and it doesn't really matter.
    Merry Christmas.

• Chris B Salt Lake City, UT
    Dec. 13, 2013 1:14 p.m.

funnywitt

byu by 15?

LOL!

Let's review for byu fans how sports work:

1) The team with more points is the winning team
    2) The team with fewer points is the losing team
    3) The winning team is BETTER than the losing team

Clear?

It's really simple.

I'll remind byu fans those simple rules again after the game

Utes win.

• Chris B Salt Lake City, UT
    Dec. 13, 2013 1:14 p.m.

I can hear the chants now:

"Just like football just like football"

byu fans and players are going to hear it from me loud and clear come Saturday night. Show up in blue and I'll be there to "greet" you

Go Utes!

• BeSmart Cheyenne, WY
    Dec. 13, 2013 1:17 p.m.

@ CB
    That is a pretty bold prediction for BYU @ 69 points.
    Only once this year have they been held that low, against one the best defensive teams in the nation Wichita State.
    It will be a good game but probably in the 90s holding byu to 69 with the new rules would be a great feat for Utah considering 2 ranked teams could not do it.

• Chris B Salt Lake City, UT
    Dec. 13, 2013 1:24 p.m.

BeSmart,

Either way, I remind you to check out the rules of sports I posted at 1:14.

The team with more points is the BETTER team. You byu fans get confused sometimes.

• BeSmart Cheyenne, WY
    Dec. 13, 2013 1:31 p.m.

@ CB
    Well since you classify me as a BYU fan I can stop donating to the U. I cheer for the utes and I said the utes have a good shot.
    The team with more points is the better team for a night. The Jazz beat Miami but didn't win the title.
    When I was with a WAC program we beat several teams that went to the NCAA tourney, we beat them on one night, but they had the better season. (Look at Stanford and the Utes) Utah is clearly not better than the Pac-12 champs.
    Still waiting for the cougar fight song you promised.
    Merry Christmas

• motorbike Cottonwood Heights, UT
    Dec. 13, 2013 1:36 p.m.

I'd feel a lot better about the Utes' chances if I felt they had a little more nasty in them. By that I simply mean toughness. This squad is more athletically gifted than the past few years and they're fun to watch. I'm just not too sure they have the same commitment to defense.
    Bottom line, for Utah to win this game they'll need to have a hand up on every outside shot, a body in front of slashers, and they'll need to do a good job on the defensive boards ... second and third shots will be back-breakers. On the offensive side of things I'd really like to see Utah get to the line more that they have been (meaning more cutting to the basket), and then making a high percentage of those free-throw attempts.
    All that said, I think this ought to be fun and competitive game. My brain tells me BYU will likely pull out a close win but I won't be at all surprised if the Utes get hot and pull this one out.
    Go Utes!

• SportsFan Orem, UT
    Dec. 13, 2013 1:40 p.m.

Christy

7 in a row; 11 of the last 12; 12-3 during the Dave Rose era;

BYU owns U in basketball!

• anti BCS Anaheim, CA
    Dec. 13, 2013 1:47 p.m.

Chris B

Remember this: "If BYU wins by 17 I won't post on BYU articles for a year!"

Average score of the BYU-Utah game during the Dave Rose era is an 8-point spread:

BYU 72
    Utah 64

Yet you want to more than double the point-spread to 17 points, AT HOME no less?

What's wrong; too chicken to go for the straight up win?

Since it's the season:

I triple dog dare you and your pseudonyms not to post on BYU articles for a full year when the Utes lose!

• Gone fishin Seattle, WA
    Dec. 13, 2013 1:46 p.m.

It will be disappointing for the Utah players to NEVER have beaten BYU during their time on the hill. How sad.

• Chris B Salt Lake City, UT
    Dec. 13, 2013 1:51 p.m.

BeSmart,

LOL on your hedging the loss already. The scoreboard will tell us who the better team is. In case you get confused after the game I'll be happy to tell you, if the scoreboard is confusing to understand.

LOL

Utes win. byu loses.

Just like football, just like football

• Swoop Salt Lake City, UT
    Dec. 13, 2013 1:57 p.m.

@CB

"I guarantee Utah wins."

Or what? You'll stop posting lame predictions?

• Cougsndawgs West Point , UT
    Dec. 13, 2013 2:03 p.m.

Chris B:
    Thank you for that lesson, but I think u need further study to qualify as a teacher. There's a few textbooks you need to pick up about sports. One is titled "Any team can beat any other team on any given night". Another good read is "It's not just a game it's a season". One of my favorites is "Learn to win the war: A treatise on how focusing on victory in one battle can lead to defeat in the war"...I think that one is under military sciences actually. And finally as a prerequisite to telling everyone else how sports work, you will need to read "One game for the season: The tragic tale of one wide-eyed dreamer's belief that his team was superior to one that his team had beaten, and how this belief turned to hallucinations that he was at the Rose Bowl cheering for his team, when in reality he was lost on his couch watching Stanford". That last one is a long title but I think the author wanted people to know exactly how fanaticism can lead to delusions and psychosis (Psych area of the bookstore).

• utahcountyute Cedar Hills, UT
    Dec. 13, 2013 3:44 p.m.

Won't even be as close as the score? You have the cougs beating the Utes by 30! Hey, I'm glad you have such confidence in your team.

Let me tell you how this will go though.

Wright will give Carlino fits because of his length, causing him to turn the ball over more than 5 times. Mica will get in foul trouble trying to clean up Carlino's poor D and the cougs will be introduced to athletic ute freshman Onwas and Ogbe.

Utes by 5. Go Utes!

• BeSmart Cheyenne, WY
    Dec. 13, 2013 4:02 p.m.

@ CB
    Merry Christmas
    And perhaps under you tree this year will be an upset victory over BYU (look at Vegas odds), perhaps there won't be.
    But for people like me who actually played the game at a high level and won championships, I will stick to what I know about real basketball. Utah will have to play a great game to beat BYU, the Utes are more athletic but so were Stanford and Texas in fact Stanford's recruiting has been top tier in the PAC.
    I would love to see a 1-3-1 zone from the cougars, I think it would eliminate Wright's effectiveness and see if Loveridge could dominate the baseline to lead the Utes to a win.
    Now lets hear your stories from playing days so we can see you know something. And xbox does not count my friend.

• Mormon Ute Kaysville, UT
    Dec. 13, 2013 4:35 p.m.

Gone fishin,

You're right, that would be sad for Renan Lenz as the only senior on this young team, if the Utes lose. However, I think they'll win and it will be the start of great things to come for the younger players who will continue to build up the program.

• Samwise Salt Lake City, UT
    Dec. 13, 2013 4:41 p.m.

The team with the most points is better for that game, not necessarily for the season. If that were true, almost every team in College Football and College Basketball would be able to say they are better than almost any other team because if A>B and B>C, then A>C (this logical test could be carried out further, for example if A>B and B>C and C>D, then A>D and so forth).

Here is a nice example from college football this year: When using Chris B's absolute rules and the above logical test, 1 win Idaho is better than 1 loss Auburn because Idaho beat Temple who beat Memphis who beat Arkansas State who beat UL Monroe who beat Wake Forrest who beat Maryland who beat West Virginia who beat Oklahoma State who beat Mississippi State who beat Mississippi who beat LSU who beat Auburn.

Obviously Idaho is not actually better than Auburn. Thus, the idea that the team who scores more points in a given game is absolutely and without doubt the better team has been proven false.

• Real Bass Idaho Falls, ID
    Dec. 13, 2013 5:03 p.m.

Saw the Utah Boise State game in person. Utes game plan was to slow it dow. BORING! I hope they decide to run with the bulls. If they do there may be lotta red left on the floor,

• motorbike Cottonwood Heights, UT
    Dec. 13, 2013 5:05 p.m.

Like all you cougar fans, I'd gladly take a loss by my Utes on Saturday if Chris B would promise not to post on any Utah/BYU articles for a year.

• pocyUte Pocatello, ID
    Dec. 13, 2013 5:10 p.m.

Here's the measuring stick for Utah. Obviously Utah is much more athletic than they have been in the past. Rose is a good coach and the guys have been in his system much longer than the Coach K has had his players together.

It should be a good game.

Go Utes.

• Samwise Salt Lake City, UT
    Dec. 13, 2013 5:20 p.m.

Some clarifications on my last post which I typed really fast and so I wasn't clear on some things: The logical test that I mentioned is called the transitive property, I was not pretending to be the one who came up with it. I also agree that in the majority of games (probably 90% or so of games) the better team for the season wins the game. But it does not always work that way. If it did, then the transitive property would not result in a cycle or in absurd conclusions (such as Idaho is better than Auburn because the winning team is always the better team and Idaho beat a team who beat a team... who beat a team who beat Auburn. Finally, obviously I enjoy winning, wish BYU had beat Utah in Football this year, and am frustrated that Whittingham owns Bronco to the point that he has beat him 4 straight times even though he wasn't necessarily coaching the better team each of those seasons if you look at the entire season. Finally, Go Cougars!

• WA_Alum&Dad Marysville, WA
    Dec. 13, 2013 6:18 p.m.

I sure hope "Good Matt" decides to show up for this game.

And about the refs, be honest Ute fans: it wasn't that long ago that you were on the other side of the PAC ref syndicate. Watch this game with objectivity, and we'll see if the fouls trend one way or not. If the PAC zebras end up calling the game evenly, I will publicly apologize.

• CougFaninTX Frisco, TX
    Dec. 13, 2013 7:16 p.m.

@motorbike - love your post!

Krystkowiak hit the nail on the head. The is the first rebuilding year for the Utes in long time. U are finally building a good foundation. I'm hoping the rivalry game will get more competitive than it's been in many years.

Both the Utes and Cougs are better than I thought they'd be this year. But let's be real, the Cougs are clearly a notch or two above the Utes in BB.

Could the Utes win? It's possible. Will the Utes win? It's not likely.

Both programs should continue to improve the next 4 or 5 years, but with the Cougs pipeline, it looks like the Cougs will continue to be a notch or two ahead for many years.

I just wish the game was on a regular channel so I could watch it.

• CougFaninTX Frisco, TX
    Dec. 13, 2013 7:21 p.m.

@Chris B
    "1) The team with more points is the winning team" Utah
    "2) The team with fewer points is the losing team" Stanford
    "3) The winning team is BETTER than the losing team" Utah is better than Stanford?

I think U need to re-work your formula.

• poyman Lincoln City, OR
    Dec. 13, 2013 8:42 p.m.

The season is a third over at this point and one can make the following factual observations:

BYU (8-3); RPI 23; SOS 6;

Marquee wins:
    . Texas (8-1) RPI 26 SOS 66 (Only loss to BYU on neutral court).
    . Stanford (6-2) RPI 63; SOS 84 (Only losses to BYU and Pitt... both at home).
    . Utah State (5-2) RPI 64; SOS 82 (Only losses to BYU and Pacific... both of the WCC).

Losses:
    . Iowa State (7-0) RPI 16; SOS 95 (Ranked 17th in AP and 16th USA/ESPN).
    . Wichita State (9-0) RPI 10; SOS 168(Ranked 12th AP and 8th USA).
    . U Mass (8-0) RPI 1; SOS 3 (Ranked 22nd AP and 20th USA).

Total W-L of Teams Beaten: 33-30 (52% win ratio)

RPI of Teams Played: Average RPI 116.7
    *****

Utah (8-1) RPI 122; SOS 325.

Marquee Wins:
    . Fresno State (6-4) RPI 96; SOS 72 (played at the HC).

Losses:
    . Boise State (8-1) RPI 40; SOS 137 (Lost to Kentucky).

Total W-L of Teams Beaten: 22-49 (32% win ratio).

RPI of Teams Played: Average RPI 218.5 (ouch).
    ******

Now I ask you, who should win?... lol.

• poyman Lincoln City, OR
    Dec. 13, 2013 9:07 p.m.

Mark Spitz, a great athlete who dominated the sport of swimming in the 1970's once said... "Past performance is the best indicator of future results"... How true it is...

BYU is 7-0 since 2009 and 1-12 since the season of 2005-2006... Ouch... Outside of the utes OT win in the HC in 2009 Utah has not beaten the Cougs since the MWC Tourney was played in Denver... lol. The freshman who play for the utes were still in Primary, they were still playing little league baseball, in fact, they weren't even old enough to join Boy Scouts and go on Overnighters... They were in the 5th grade... That's a lot of Domination.

BYU has still been with the same coach during this time (one of the 10 best college basketball coacher in the country today). I am trying to figure out how many coaches the utes have gone through in that time period... let me see... There was Giacoletti, Boylen and now Krystkowiac... only 3.

BYU will win 83-69 but Utah will benefit from garbage time after being over 20 down.

• poyman Lincoln City, OR
    Dec. 13, 2013 9:13 p.m.

My bad... actually the winning percentage of teams that Utah has beaten is not quite 31% (22-49)... Sorry.

• anti BCS Anaheim, CA
    Dec. 13, 2013 9:26 p.m.

@swoop

re: "If you're so sure, why don't you promise not to comment on any BYU articles until 12/14/13 when the Utes lose?"

You obviously meant "until 12/14/14", but it doesn't matter because CB is all talk, but no walk, he'll never accept the challenge.

• poyman Lincoln City, OR
    Dec. 13, 2013 9:39 p.m.

@chrisb

BYU should not have any trouble with Utah, but the truth is, win or lose BYU would still be considered to have the better team at this point in the season by members of the NCAA Tournament Selection Committee. Reasons???

1) BYU has played a much tougher schedule than the utes with more marquee wins and close losses to teams with high RPIs;

2)One game does not a season make (unless of course you are a ute's fan and the blind hog happens to find an acorn and you win);

3) The game is played on the ute's home court (like every other game they have played this year with the exception of the one they lost to Boise State);

4) The only Marquee win that the ute's would really have this year would be against BYU (though Fresno State is a top 100 RPI win, that will change in the next few days);

5) Grand Canyon University is the only other team the utes have played that even have a winning record besides BYU, Boise State and Fresno State (and the last two are only one game above .500 right now).

Also, though not a consideration... pac12 officiating stinks... my opinion.

• Pavalova Surfers Paradise, AU
    Dec. 13, 2013 9:45 p.m.

The U is better than Stanford since they won in football. Doesn't matter what the rest of the games showed. As for hoops, I think a close game will be on display tomorrow night. Unfortunately, I think the Y loses a close one due to poor free throw shooting.

• idablu Idaho Falls, ID
    Dec. 13, 2013 10:16 p.m.

If the refs go out of their way to foul out our bigs, Utah wins. If the game is called fairly, BYU wins, but they've got to make their foul shots. I know it sounds like pregame excuses but seriously, PAC 12 officiating really is awfully biased. I' m not too keen on WCC officials, either, btw.

• Kralon HUNTINGTON BEACH, CA
    Dec. 13, 2013 10:33 p.m.

This game is not an automatic win by BYU. Last year, in Provo, the Utes did very well and now the game is at Utah. The Utes are probably better this year than they were last year, but it is a little difficult to tell yet. BYU is actually playing differently this year so it will be interesting to see how the two teams match up.

The Ute advantage is playing at Utah and more experienced players than last year. The BYU advantage is they have more experience so far this year against better teams.

Should be a fun game to watch!

• Vegasbob North Las Vegas, NV
    Dec. 13, 2013 11:25 p.m.

I read somewhere that the average margin of victory has been nearly double at the Huntsman Center for BYU over the last few years than it has been at the Marriott Center. Also wonder what the average rating of players is for the Utah and BYU starters is because as per CB, that tells the whole story. How many 4 star and 3 star players are playing on each team and how many former "Mr. Basketball" winners are on each team. There should be some relevance.

• Rockarolla West Jordan, UT
    Dec. 13, 2013 11:48 p.m.

If the Utes can hit their shots consistently they may have a chance. I think the Cougar guard line is much better this year. Yes the Utes are improved but so are the Cougars. In fact the Cougars are much better this year. Sure we lost Brandon Davies but Eric Meca is a true center that likes to play down low. The Cougars are a quicker team. If the Utes can slow it down like they did last year they may be able to stay in it. I like the Cougars in this one 85-70

• Two For Flinching Salt Lake City, UT
    Dec. 14, 2013 12:05 a.m.

The amount of "homerism" in this thread by BYU fans is amazing. The spread is a whole 1.5 points! It should be a great game. It is nice to see BYU fans already blaming the officials though.

• PAC12Fan South Jordan, UT
    Dec. 14, 2013 6:39 a.m.

I predict the team that scores the most will win the game.

• 2020 Herriman, UT
    Dec. 14, 2013 7:15 a.m.

Who better than BYU to empathise with seniors who never beat their rival?

• BYU sports on TV in Missouri Lebanon, MO
    Dec. 14, 2013 8:57 a.m.

This game is a bit of a tough call. Utah appears to be improved but by how much it is hard to gauge because of who they have been playing. BYU also appears to be improved but they have been inconsistent against good teams down the stretch. If both Haws and Carlino are hitting their shots, BYU shold win going away. If they are forcing bad shots, the grinch may be showing up early this year. Either way, we should know how good our respective teams are by the end of the day.

• Uteology East Salt Lake City, Utah
    Dec. 14, 2013 12:21 p.m.

TRUTH
    Salt Lake City, UT

--------------

Or the days when Jimmer lit up a high school team.

This isn't that team.

Utah 92
    BYU 85

Go RUNNIN UTES!

• Thid Barker Victor, ID
    Dec. 14, 2013 12:55 p.m.

Utah will score 92 points? Sure and if frogs had wings they wouldn't bump their bottoms when they hop.

• truthsandwich RANDOLPH, UT
    Dec. 14, 2013 2:14 p.m.

A few classy comments from the Y fans are nice to see.

This should be a fun game: two up-tempo teams with no intention of trying to slow things down.

GO UTES!!

• Duckhunter Highland, UT
    Dec. 14, 2013 5:34 p.m.

utah will try to slow it down and ugly it up because they have no chance if they try to run with BYU. We'll see if it works.

• mindgames Aurora, CO
    Dec. 14, 2013 6:06 p.m.

“Chris B
    Salt Lake City, UT

Mind games, you must be joint right?

If byu wins by 17 I won't post on byu articles for a year!

Utah 77
    ByU 69”

90% of Cougar Nation is now rooting for a victory by BYU of 17 points or more. Hopefully it won’t be one of those situations where BYU has the ball with a 14 point lead and 20 seconds left and they just run out the clock. Come on Cougars we are all pulling for that last second 3-point shot. This could be a monumental victory.

A year of silence…sweet.

GOOOOOOOOOOO COUGARS!!!

• Sweater In Rafters Franklin, IN
    Dec. 14, 2013 6:25 p.m.

I think we may have reached a new/low level....

BYU fans pre-whining about officiating...

I will bet the zebras make less errors than the teams. This is amazing...pre-paranoia...before the game Ida predicts the loss is be causes by bad calls.

• xert Santa Monica, CA
    Dec. 14, 2013 11:29 p.m.

Posting after the ute win--all I have to say is, Chris B? You owned this thread. BYU fans should be giving you the "we're not worthy" salute. The ute fans were even giving it the "just like football" chant. You win buddy. You are a great fan and I would feel lucky to be in slc tonight hoisting a tall one to a great win and to your prognosticating talent. Congrats Utes. In football and basketball, your play said all that needs to be said. And a big shout out to the lady Utes too!